Black Mirror [Netflix]

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby aaliyahman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:33 am

I've never watched this before, I usually hate UK drama's like this but it was phenomenal. Like really thought provoking and to be honest I'd probably do exactly what she did, think it was right and fitting at the start but then have to put it away like an old toy. However she was never able to fully let go. Very sad.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby Ferris » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:41 am

Yep, great episode and the eeriest one so far, much like a Charlie Brooker take on the Twilight Zone. Really good writing and acting. I liked how the simulant Ash ended up in the attic at the end, considering how the real one had earlier spoke about how his mother had consigned all the photos of his brother and father there after they died.

Looks like another interesting one next week too.
Ferris
Manager

Postby Blondini » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:06 am

Robert Downey Jr buys film rights to episode.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a45 ... irror.html

Interesting.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Ferris » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if there are interested parties in picking up the rights for last night's episode too.
Ferris
Manager

Postby steophonic » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:08 pm

Never seen this before until last night - was weird, yet compelling!
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Thriller » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:06 pm

I thought she was gonna jump off the cliff at the end! Really liked the episode, thought provoking. Showed how it's important to try and move on from death!
Thriller

Postby RockTheBoat » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:18 pm

'Be Right Back' was my first introduction to 'Black Mirror' and I loved it. Very thought provoking and gripping. Wasn't sure what to expect but really enjoyed it.

Last night's episode really makes you think, and I do think most of us would be really curious to do the same as she did. I find it fascinating though, how things tarnished the memories she had of her husband.

Bring on episode 2!

What was series one like? And can I watch it anywhere?
Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.
RockTheBoat
Manager

Postby Blondini » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:56 pm

^Episode one good - shocking, not for everyone. Political satire.
Episode Two - also divisive but i much preferred it. Reality TV satire.
Episode Three - more understated, romantic, written by Peep Show's Jesse Armstrong. Probably the most approachable one, hence Downey Jr's interest.

Watch: http://www.1channel.ch/watch-2730529-Black-Mirror
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Thriller » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:03 pm

I thought the pig episode was the best, the talent show one my least favourite as it was a little confusing.
Thriller

Postby RockTheBoat » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Blondini wrote:^Episode one good - shocking, not for everyone. Political satire.
Episode Two - also divisive but i much preferred it. Reality TV satire.
Episode Three - more understated, romantic, written by Peep Show's Jesse Armstrong. Probably the most approachable one, hence Downey Jr's interest.

Watch: http://www.1channel.ch/watch-2730529-Black-Mirror
Thanks for these! I'll check them out :D
Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.
RockTheBoat
Manager

Postby Blondini » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Most brutal one yet. She didn't seem guilty unless that was intentional on Brooker's part. Trial by media stretched to the extreme.
Of course there's no way a theme park for criminals would happen but...

1 hr chiller chiller ‏@chiller

Is Lenora Crichlow ever going to play a part where she isn't dressed entirely in grey jersey? #blackmirror
Expand
:lol:
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Ferris » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:33 am

Incredible episode last night, very intense and hard hitting. Can't wait for next week's. I just hope there's a series 3 planned.
Ferris
Manager

Postby Thriller » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Wow this one was very twisted and very clever! I expected the other girl to be in on "it" but didn't see that coming. In a way, it was a literal sense of how we act already, hence the term 'media circus'. I liked how we felt sorry for her and willed her on all the way until she was revealed as a Maxine Carr type and then you suddenly feel you should change your opinion of her but I still remained feeling sorry for her actually despite her crime!
Thriller

Postby Blondini » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:02 am

The mind-wipe meant she was reduced to a helpless "innocent" completely unaware of what was going on. Therefore resembling her victim. This was quite Chris Morris, really - making us look at ourselves and the way we react to those we perceive as unworthy of respect.
We become as bad as the perpetrator if not worse. Just look at the kneejerk reactions on here when a tragedy like a shooting occurs or anything involving children. The continued hysteria over the Jamie Bulger killers is way out of line with how we should be reacting. And the tabloids just whip it up.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Thriller » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:23 am

I think in a lot of these cases there'd be less of a public outrage if the justice system ensured the punishment fit the crime. I know they were children themselves but serving 8 years for the torture and murder of a 2 year old is diabolical!
Thriller

Postby Ferris » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:19 pm

^ Agreed Thriller.

I think in White Bear the mob's concern was perhaps less concentrated on her actual punishment (after all she was unaware of what was going on for the most part although you can draw parallels with the murdered girl as Blondini already mentioned), hence the doubt placed by the news report on whether she was a willing participant or not in the crime, which seemed very deliberate. It was more about how they could satisfy their own bloodlust (albeit in the form of mentally torturing her). The actual killer had already cheated them by hanging himself, so his accomplice was the next best thing for them. This was just a validated way for them to satisfy their own urges.

Was also interesting to note that little children were participants in the set-up and voyeurism but not surprising given the increasing desensitization to violence.
Ferris
Manager

Postby AndiIversen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:33 pm

I like the show in general, specially the use of the certain tech-y elements.
what I don't like is that once I felt that the show's main reason d'être is to create shock value, then i always feel at the beginning of an epi like: well, lets see what's the twist and what's the shocking element(s) that will keep people talking.
I feel more jaded than i already am.
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby steophonic » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Last weeks episode was a bit bizarre and once again, thought provoking. I find it really interesting to read some of the comments in this topic - provides some interesting insight into the interpretation and ideas behind it, that are sometimes lost on me!
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Blondini » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:56 pm

AndiIversen wrote:I like the show in general, specially the use of the certain tech-y elements.
what I don't like is that once I felt that the show's main reason d'être is to create shock value, then i always feel at the beginning of an epi like: well, lets see what's the twist and what's the shocking element(s) that will keep people talking.
I feel more jaded than i already am.
Well, i lost that feeling after episode three last series as it was more sedate. The upcoming episode now is said to be more relaxed and subtle than the previous two, so - i just think that's the way Brooker works - two shocks and a sizzler. It's just marketing.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby aaliyahman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:29 pm

Ferris wrote:^ Agreed Thriller.

I think in White Bear the mob's concern was perhaps less concentrated on her actual punishment (after all she was unaware of what was going on for the most part although you can draw parallels with the murdered girl as Blondini already mentioned), hence the doubt placed by the news report on whether she was a willing participant or not in the crime, which seemed very deliberate. It was more about how they could satisfy their own bloodlust (albeit in the form of mentally torturing her). The actual killer had already cheated them by hanging himself, so his accomplice was the next best thing for them. This was just a validated way for them to satisfy their own urges.

Was also interesting to note that little children were participants in the set-up and voyeurism but not surprising given the increasing desensitization to violence.
I agree, I loved this episode but hated it also. I love Lenora as an actress and hated that she was the 'victim' of constant torture. Even though she had taken part in that heinous crime, the repetition of her torture and the celebrity status of her torturers was disgusting.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby jio » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Amazing episode, probably the best of both seasons. I agree with all the comments before but I think, besides the obvious commentary on the media circus, this could also be an allegory on the death penalty... a penalty sometimes (or the vast majority of times) equal or worse as far as its cruelty concerned as to the original crime being punished...
jio
Legend

Postby Thriller » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:21 pm

This week's was disappointing and far too predictable. Last week's was so hard to top though.
Thriller

Postby Blondini » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Yeah, it was OK but the credit "based on a idea for Nathan Barley by Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker" showed how out of date it was. It would have been considered hard-hitting in the days of Ali G.

A full feature film in which the character actually did become a full-fledged politician would be interesting. There wasn't enough room here for it go anywhere but where it went.

One thing - Christina Chong is stunning (saw her in Monroe first). :P

Nathan Barley is trending. Always thought that was a disappointing mess myself.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Ferris » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:58 am

Yeah i thought it was the weakest Black Mirror to date. It was ok, but just not on par with the high standard set by previous episodes. I understood the points Brooker was making with it but it was all a bit too obvious and pretty much where we're already at and have been for a while rather than where we could end up (aside from the end credits sequence which seem rather tacked on). Like Blondini says, it would have worked better some years ago.

Not too surprising really that it was based on an idea for Nathan Barley, you can just imagine "the idiots" lapping up everything Wardo says while a despairing Dan Ashcroft looks on. Makes me wonder if Brooker was struggling for a decent enough idea for a 3rd episode this series seeing as he's rehashed an old one he had. In which case maybe would have been good to have drafted in Jesse Armstrong to write an episode again? On the subject of Nathan Barley, I thought it was really good but it was definitely a very niche comedy.

This is how I'd rank the episodes from top to bottom:

15 Million Merits / White Bear
Be Right Back
The Entire History Of You
The National Anthem
The Wardo Moment
Ferris
Manager

Postby Blondini » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:04 am

^Exactly my ranking! :D
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer