Postby TheResonantIpod » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:18 am

A Christmas episode :o
I'm ready!
Queen of country music...Timmy McGraw
TheResonantIpod
Manager

Postby RockTheBoat » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:45 am

Great news! Looking forward to this.
Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.
RockTheBoat
Manager

Postby Thriller » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:25 pm

If all the pre-Christmas cheer is getting a bit much for you, then the new Black Mirror special from Charlie Brooker is essential viewing - a tech horror story in three acts, 'White Christmas' explores the dark side of Yuletide.

Brooker, though, insists that the decidedly un-festive special is not intended as a riposte to traditional Christmas programming - even if he objects to the manner in which certain parties exploit sentimentality at this time of year.

"I think it's f**king incredible that a f**king supermarket has turned the First World War into an advert for a f**king chocolate bar - I think it's staggering," he begins.

"Having said that, I quite like Christmas specials - but I missed the tradition of having ghost stories at Christmas.

"It felt like if we were going to be doing a big one-off Black Mirror then Christmas was a good fit for it - more so than Halloween. For me, it's a more evocative time and it gives us a slightly different spin on things."

Both Brooker and 'White Christmas' star Rafe Spall agree that there's a tradition of slightly gloomy drama in the dying days of the year.

"If you think about something like The Snowman, there's a melancholy and a strangeness to it," suggests Spall.

"...and EastEnders at Christmas is never cheerful or feel-good," Brooker adds. "It's basically kittens being thrown into a cement mixer for an hour."

Spall accepted a part in Black Mirror without having ever seen the series, but having once read a script for a previous episode, the Get Santa star says he "knew the world" he was going into.

"But it was the quality and originality of the writing [that appealed]," he explains. "It truly is wholly original and that's a rare thing to come across in this industry."

Hamm's involvement in 'White Christmas' is described by Brooker as "fortuitous" - the Mad Men star sought out the writer on a previous trip to the UK after becoming obsessed with his BAFTA-nominated series.

"I'd seen both previous series and absolutely loved it," Hamm reveals. "I mean, no-one in the States had seen it when I came over here to shoot it. No-one knew what I was talking about.

"Now I have studio executives saying, 'Oh my God, have you seen this show?' - it really reached some sort of tipping point."

Black Mirror looks set to continue doing that for some time to come - with more episodes lined up to follow the 90-minute 'White Christmas'.

"Luckily the world is so horrible..." Brooker concludes, "...that there's constant inspiration."

Black Mirror: White Christmas airs on Tuesday (December 16) at 9pm on Channel 4.
Thriller

Postby oasisbobo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:40 pm

A series I really need to watch! :D
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby Thriller » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:33 pm

Well that was very clever but very depressing! I loved how the stories intertwined, excellent edition.
Thriller

Postby Blondini » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:31 pm

^What you said. Not enough Oona - misleading advertising. :cry:
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby steophonic » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:46 am

Interesting as usual. A bit depressing for Christmas but I liked it.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Ferris » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:00 pm

Yep, it was a compelling watch, and the highlight of Xmas TV for me. Sounds like the show is starting to pick up more attention in America due to its availability on Netflix - hopefully it'll encourage Brooker to keep doing more.
Ferris
Manager

Postby Ferris » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:40 pm

Netflix have commissioned 12 new episodes of this, with production due to start later this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... tflix.html
Ferris
Manager

Postby Thriller » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:30 am

Fantastic news! One of the best shows of recent years for sure.
Thriller

Postby pscalp » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:32 am

That's amazing!
pscalp
Roadie

Postby heppolo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Ferris wrote:Netflix have commissioned 12 new episodes of this, with production due to start later this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... tflix.html
12 are too many, I hope it won't be quantity over quality
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:53 am

I've watched the first 4 episodes of the new series and it has been brilliant, in fact each one has been better than the previous one and the latest I saw, San Junipero is my favourite Black Mirror episode to date, it made me feel so happy and I felt like I'd watched a movie by the end, that episode deserves an award.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby RockTheBoat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:37 am

I've watched Nosedive and Playtest so far which were both great, enjoying this new season. Looking forward to San Junipero as vice head good things from everyone who's seen it!
Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.
RockTheBoat
Manager

Postby Serby » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:40 pm

Just started watching this! First two episodes in and I love it, so twisted and wicked, but I can see the methapors behind and it seems to also make fun of British society's curent state, right?
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Thriller » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:10 pm

Nosedive was great, and a scary imagining of how we could be living in ten years!

Playtest was warped and kept me guessing right to the end.

Shut Up and Dance was the darkest so far, the ending was utterly depressing!

Still need to watch the rest!
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:31 pm

San Junipero was SO cool and heartwarming - it just made me want to live in 1987 forever :lol:
Thriller

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:51 pm

Thriller wrote:San Junipero was SO cool and heartwarming - it just made me want to live in 1987 forever :lol:
So weird how the first perhaps third of the film I was thinking that the episode was probably not for me, but by the end it was my favourite one, once you start to work out what is happening. How did you find it?
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Thriller » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:43 pm

I actually guessed where it was going pretty early on! I enjoyed it from the start really cos of the nostalgia factor.
Thriller

Postby Blondini » Wed May 10, 2017 1:25 am

Thriller wrote:San Junipero was SO cool and heartwarming - it just made me want to live in 1987 forever :lol:
This. Should be a full length film.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby MrRager » Wed May 10, 2017 7:19 am

Started watching this! Onto season 3... It's fu**ing brilliant!
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Blondini » Thu May 18, 2017 4:42 pm

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Thriller » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:46 pm

Thriller

Return to TV