American Horror Story: Coven

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:55 am

^ Was that what she said? :lol: ....we all just turned to each other and went "what'd she say??'

I really enjoyed the finale, I think it provided good closure. The series overall was a hot mess from a plot perspective, but I found it compelling the whole time. I'd give it an 8/10 overall.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby YaYo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:45 am

This season had the best acting but the worst writing (still better than most TV series).

I loved the last episode. If Jessica doesn't get Emmy/Golden Globe for the acting, especially in this episode, than I don't know anything. For me it's 9/10. I just adore this series to death.

Here are hints about the next two season
-Circus isn’t happening: ”I saw those posters. I don’t know where people came up with that idea. Sometimes I think its people wanting us to do topics and doing fan posters.”
-No one has guessed the actual theme yet.
-Murphy already has Season 4 and 5 in his head: “I have the next two seasons plotted out, and I like both of them.”
-Season 4 won’t just take place in the ’50s: “It’s a combination of two time periods, with the main one being the 1950s. I don’t know.”
-Season 4 will have funny moments, like Coven: “My feeling is, if you loved this season, you’ll love next season. It has the same sort of comedic tone to it.”
-Season 5 will be “a radically different idea from the stuff we’ve been doing.” Well, yeah, no Jessica Lange!
YaYo
Manager

Postby Carbon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:30 pm

-Season 4 will have funny moments, like Coven: “My feeling is, if you loved this season, you’ll love next season. It has the same sort of comedic tone to it.”
I just hope that doesn't mean that it's gonna be a mess like this one, or I'll probably stop watching. I can deal with one ''kooky'' season, but they seriously need to improve on the next one, at least on a Murder House level.

The finale was predictable, but nice. It's how it should have ended, so I'm glad! I'm a bit sad about Misty's fate, Zoe should've died in her place, she's just annoying and redundant. But anyway, overall it's good, and the Fiona closure is also very nice!
The beginning and ending were very well made, but the in between stuff was just...ugh. Let's hope the writers were aware of that and are going to work harder for the next one!
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby LionH3art » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:33 pm

Bad finale. Will remain a fan of AHS tho.
LionH3art
Superstar

Postby YaYo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:23 pm

mrlemonade wrote:
I just hope that doesn't mean that it's gonna be a mess like this one, or I'll probably stop watching. I can deal with one ''kooky'' season, but they seriously need to improve on the next one, at least on a Murder House level.

The finale was predictable, but nice. It's how it should have ended, so I'm glad! I'm a bit sad about Misty's fate, Zoe should've died in her place, she's just annoying and redundant. But anyway, overall it's good, and the Fiona closure is also very nice!
The beginning and ending were very well made, but the in between stuff was just...ugh. Let's hope the writers were aware of that and are going to work harder for the next one!
Hopefully, they will step up with the writing. A lot of people complained and I know Ryan Murphy listens.
YaYo
Manager

Postby Damiennatas1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:18 pm

I find a lot of American Horror Story has a lot of random plots and storylines that seem to go nowhere, and Coven was no exception.

Probably still my favourite season and the finale was great except for Cordelia becoming Supreme. It was obvious because for some reason Sarah Paulson get allllll the love and I don't get it!? Her acting is average. :roll:

Fiona's last scene was so nightmarish for me. Imagine being stuck in a place like that for eternity! And that voodoo guy always scared the crap out of me :lol: :oops:

But yeah, this season had the usual AHS flaws but I just loved the theme! 8/10
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby aaliyahman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:59 pm

I havent yet watched the last episode but have read about it. I'm kinda cheesed off at the whole show tbh.

Why oh why can't the 3 best actresses in the show and the ones who light up EVERY scene they are in survive till the end of the show.

I understand that they comitted evil and so must get their comeuppance but omg New Orleans is voodoo and they killed it all off apart from Papa LEGBA.

Marie Laveau should have survived.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby GUS » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:09 am

JimJim wrote:^ Was that what she said? :lol: ....we all just turned to each other and went "what'd she say??'

Balenciaga is a fashion designer from Spain. That was her last word. I found it so funny! 8-)
GUS
Superstar

Postby geekyspice » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:25 pm

I thought Coven was excellent, I really wish it had not ended and was a full time show (minus the rushed ending of the last few episode).
geekyspice
Roadie

Postby Carbon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:31 pm

Damiennatas1 wrote:I find a lot of American Horror Story has a lot of random plots and storylines that seem to go nowhere, and Coven was no exception.

Probably still my favourite season and the finale was great except for Cordelia becoming Supreme. It was obvious because for some reason Sarah Paulson get allllll the love and I don't get it!? Her acting is average. :roll:
I disagree, this season had a 100 times more random plots and storylines than the first two. And those in the first two always had a purpose (well most of them), while these didn't. In the end, the main plot which works would include the first 3, 4 episodes and the last two, everything in between was just a random sequence of wtf events :lol:

And Cordelia becoming Supreme is the best thing they could've done to give the show some dignity imho, because their seasons always have relatively positive endings, and Cordelia is a much more developed and complex character than Zoe or Queenie, who are just random and unfinished.
Sarah Paulson is a great actress, not saying that the others aren't. In fact, I consider Lily Rabe one of the best, if not the best, she played such completely different characters each season (even two personalities in Asylum) and played them perfectly. But I guess Sarah's last two characters happened to be the ''heroes'', just like Jessica's characters are always villains-turned-good or something like that.

Lily needs to get more recognition imo, I'm glad AHS ''discovered'' her. Taissa, on the other hand, needs to be banned from the show :lol: I don't know what people see in her, always played the same character type, lifeless and boring.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby jio » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Yes, Lilly was fab this season and also on the other two too. But I disagree on the Taissa hate. Yes, her part was very uninteresting this season but I think that was the fault of the script. Basically they gave her absolutely nothing to do besides coming in Coven. I think she was pretty good in season 1, she has that melancholy look that suits well in stories of depression and sadness. They should use her in that way or challenge her to reveal the rest of her acting talents (if she has them). That none of those happened this time around is not her fault.

I think they are all good as actors (obviously some are better than others but still all good) but I think that the writing should seriously be improved. If we get another season like this, I am afraid the ratings will suffer.
jio
Legend

Postby Damiennatas1 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:14 pm

I agree that Lily Rabe is quite possibly the best actor on the show. I've loved her since she first came onto the show in series 1 :D
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby Carbon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:50 pm

Everyone says Jessica is the best on the show, but, while she is excellent, I think Lily has bigger challenges in each season. While Jessica always portrays a similar character type (not the same, but still there are some things in common), but Lily went from a fancy rich grieving wife, to innocent and naive nun, to embodiment of satan, to kooky swamp witch :lol: She deserves many awards for AHS. Not to mention that she's so cute!

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby stevyy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:21 pm

mrlemonade wrote:Everyone says Jessica is the best on the show, but, while she is excellent, I think Lily has bigger challenges in each season. While Jessica always portrays a similar character type (not the same, but still there are some things in common), but Lily went from a fancy rich grieving wife, to innocent and naive nun, to embodiment of satan, to kooky swamp witch :lol: She deserves many awards for AHS. Not to mention that she's so cute!
i agree on everything. lily plays the greatest characters by far. In addition to that, I also find her extremely beautiful and sexy. I've become a huge fan of hers thanks to AHS. She is def. one of a kind.

But I could practically say this about the other two exceptional leading ladies. Jessica plays her characters so well, so raw, so honest. She truely is one of the greatest actresses of our times and Sarah Paulson is no less a charmer. I found her slightly better in season 2, but she also had her moments in season 3.

Taissa is the one i could completely live without, same for her boytoy.

OH and don't get me started on Frances Conroy, that hag is so good, so divine.. i worship the ground she walks on. Her wig on season 3 was hideous and gave me huge laughs.. When I imagine a witch, it's her character that comes to my mind now.

+ Angela.. she is so outstanding, I cannot even express my admiration for her.

Season 3 lacked a super hot male sexgod, like Zachary Quinto who is one of my TV husbands. Haha..

My personal rating:
season 1: 9,0/10
season 2: 10/10
season 3: 9,0/10

Certainly, AHS is one of the best TV series out there right now.
stevyy
Legend

Postby stevyy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:24 pm

btw, i almost puked when Cordelia stabbed the scissors in her eyes... i mean c'mon..

the death scenes in season 3 and the violence, especially the icky shit Kathy's character was doing... were sooo harsh and vile.. the most brutal of any show ever in my opinion.. i loved it..
stevyy
Legend

Postby GiorgosSeahorse » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:58 am

I love it. It was perfect till episode 9 but the last 4 episodes were very... Hmmm... Well... They ended thing so quickly to finish the season! :o
They killed the witch hunters so quickly and easily for example... :lol:
And the last episode... So many things during that and the last 4 episodes was like a summary...

Anyway, I still love that season despite that, though they could do a better job!
GiorgosSeahorse
Personal Assistant

Postby Thriller » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:52 am

I actually found all the episodes after the mid-season break to be the best ones! It just got better and better right up to the end, so much violence and lots of twists to keep the pace up. Fiona's final scenes with Cordelia were fantastic and Cordelia being the next supreme and coming out on top was really satisfying.

Misty Day's fate was a shame, but I'm glad they got rid of Madison. Zoe and Kyle were pointless and the side-plot with the neighbours next door was poor and unnecessary!

I don't get what happened to Delphine and Marie, was that attic scene their version of hell?
Thriller

Postby GiorgosSeahorse » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:20 pm

I felt sorry for Misty Day. Her end was so cruel...

Delphine and Marie remained in their hell for eternity with Delphine being tortured by Marie in her own torture chamber.
GiorgosSeahorse
Personal Assistant

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:43 pm

While I still enjoyed this, for me it wasn't a patch on Season 2. I agree the neighbours were pointless, as was Kyle (weird cos his role was so central to the first 2 seasons) and the husban witch killer was a bit of a bore too. In times the whole thing felt a little too teenage, kind of Buffy the vampire slayer.....

Francess Conroy and Jessica Lange were fantastic as ever and it was great to see Kathy Bates too. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come out with for season 4.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Merci » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:00 am

urbanmusik wrote:Rumours have it that the bus tickets to Orlando and references to McCarthyism are hints for the next season. Since it's set in the 1950s and Jessica Llange is practicing her German accent maybe the building of disneyland in the 1950s or a carnival/freakshow and anti-Soviet espionage will be themes?
wait! :o

I don't know why Emma Roberts not getting any love here.. she was a highlight, along with Angela Bassett, Frances Conroy (oh my!), Lily Rabe, Danny Huston and of course Jessica Lange

the acting is top notch in general, but this season is kind of style over substance, and no actual horror! still better than most tv shows
I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby YaYo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:21 pm

17 Emmy nominations. 8-)
YaYo
Manager

Postby biscuits » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:49 pm

Just started this season. On episode 2 now - seems crap and geared towards a certain market
biscuits
The Diva

Postby bluecherry » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:55 pm

biscuits wrote:Just started this season. On episode 2 now - seems crap and geared towards a certain market
wait for angela bassett!!
♡ i bloom just for you ♡

bluecherry
Manager

Postby biscuits » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:59 pm

bluecherry wrote:
biscuits wrote:Just started this season. On episode 2 now - seems crap and geared towards a certain market
wait for angela bassett!!
I've switched to season 6 instead :oops:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Loose » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:16 pm

I am currently on episode #11.

Purely delighted about Angela Basset as Marie and Jessica Lange as Fiona. The vampire hunter slayage was kind of epic. :lol:

On the contrary, the Stevie Nicks appearance does not add anything special to the series. I could have lived perfectly without it.

Judged by the first 11 episodes, Coven ranks at #2. Murder House had a less appealing storyline IMO.
LIKE A WEAPON IN THE WRONG HANDS YOU COULD DO DAMAGE
Loose
Legend

Return to TV