Orange Is The New Black

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby Serby » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:27 am

cristy wrote:
Damiennatas1 wrote:It's genuinely ridiculous, I can't bare some of the scenes. I was such a fan of this for the first 2 seasons, season 3 was bad and season 4 was good. But this season is just plain silly. Surprised so many people like it.
I have to agree with you. This season was a real disappointment. :-?
I can't understand how could someone dislike s5 so much. It's maybe my fav. :x
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:13 am

June ends next week. Where's the new season?
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:16 am

JSparksFan wrote:June ends next week. Where's the new season?
S6 is coming, where have you been!!!
Ewokguy15
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:28 am

Oh, it's coming July 27 apparently! I hadn't seen anything for it anywhere before now. Twitter usually never misses things, but it missed this (or maybe it's just me).

Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:42 am

It's later than usual I think!
Thriller

Postby NoAngels » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:50 am

They are late this time a round and I don't know why.
Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.
NoAngels
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:21 pm

A new trailer is out.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Muzikritik » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:56 am

I love OITNB and I've watched S4 and S5 on the day they were released.

I'm definitely gonna do the same with S6 and I'm looking forward to seeing these incredible characters again but... is anyone else a little underwhelmed by the trailer?

I mean, considering the powerful cliffhanger of S5, the trailer makes it clear that the fallout is limited. The only person not in the trailer is Alex but considering that Piper asks where she is, it seems obvious that all of the 10 in the bunker survived. Which kinda deflates the mystery for Episode 1.

Still, gimme some Black Cindy, Gloria, Red and Taystee. I'm down.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Maritza, Sophia and SoSo aren't in the trailer either :(
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby Muzikritik » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:51 am

1 week to go... spoiler-free reviews are up online from major publications and the general consensus is that it's a return to form.

Can't wait.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:37 pm

Tomorrow! I've read a brief synopsis and it sounds promising. I'm not gonna get time to watch it until Monday though!
Thriller

Postby Muzikritik » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:14 pm

Just about to start on Episode 10. Bingeing like crazy.

So good this season. I gotta say, I'm not even sad about the characters who aren't featured this season (it's one of the few shows who play so fast and loose with major characters season to season anyway). The new characters aren't hugely revelatory but this season has given old favourite characters some great material to work with.

Cindy and Gloria have always been two of my favourite underrated characters and it's been legit watching them have bigger arcs in S6. Really enjoying Daya more this year too.

Feels like it's building to get another big finale.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Muzikritik » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:58 pm

Wow, nobody's commented?! I need discussions and it's too early to take it to Twitter!!
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Thriller » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:12 pm

I’m on episode 10! I’m loving Cindy and Gloria too this season and Daya is back to being likeable. Nikki as great as ever and Red is still a queen. Have to say I think Aleida is becoming one of my favourites now: “hey that’s no way to treat a lady!” “It’s Aleida!” :lol:

Carol and Barb are good new additions, especially loved their flashback scenes. I like Daddy, Madison not so much but I can understand her behaviour.

Barely any Sophia this season and minimal Alex, plus Maritza and Norma seem to have disappeared sadly.
Thriller

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 am

Just finished watching the new season!

I don't know if it's just me, but it felt really slow this time 'round. The action really only picked up in the last two or three episodes, and even then there wasn't any big climax. That ICE ending for Blanca was heartbreaking. I guess they didn't want a fairytale ending this season, but Taystee's verdict was sufficient awfulness to balance the joy of Piper's and Sophia's releases. It was nice seeing Piper's brother again, though. He's such a ray of sunshine.

The Carol/Barb storyline wasn't bad, but the fact that the diner story was neither of theirs was so hilarious! :lol: I think they met a fitting end - I'm so, so happy that the girls just got their kickball game.

As for season revelations, I don't think I've ever enjoyed Aleida as much as I enjoyed her this season. She slayed her scenes.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Muzikritik » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:21 pm

So I started writing a review. And got carried away. Like, AWAY away. #SPOILERS

Spoiler:
Piper: I've read some reviews that speak to Piper's lack of development this season and how she hasn't grown as a character. I disagree, I found her much more relatable this season, except for her turning on Red. I also think her kickball effort was a nice parallel to Season 1's newsletter effort but that she was more honest in her interactions this time around. Her salon talk with Taystee was typically obnoxious but this is - and always has been - her character; observationally aware of others but not of her own privilege. I liked her ending though and I think it will be an interesting S7 as she adjusts to life on the outside and inevitably writes her memoir.

Taystee: Give this woman an Emmy already! Danielle Brooks is the real heart of this show and her character story was by far, the most emotional. I've read how many people were upset about her character's guilty murder charge but honestly, I think the writer's decisions with Taystee were on point. Practically ignored for the first few episodes, her (much stronger) story played secondary to a comparatively weak gang-war thread and as she says, "there ain't no justice". I'm sure this was a deliberate take on the BLM movement and political climate and however unfair, rang true. Her flashback episode was again, brilliant and Brooks' depleted performance this season was incredible.

Alex: The whole "where is Alex?" mystery was a bit of a let down, but once she returned it was good to see her back. Prepon is her usual strong self. A bit like S5, she wasn't given a lot to do until she intercepts Badison and joins Carol's crew, all in the name of love. Wedding was cool and it was nice to see Pipex unified for a whole season.

Suzanne: I thought it was a smart decision to open S6 the way they did - through Suzanne's warped viewpoint. It was nice that the character had a bit of a break this season and functioned more as a narration during the episodes. Uzo Aduba is, as always, fantastic, though I'm not as enamoured of her character as S1 and 2. The Freida pairing was average. Her pairing with Pennsatucky was unexpectedly great.

Red: Kate Mulgrew is one of the strongest actresses on the show and Red is one of the best characters but she seemed underused here. Some great moments between Nicky throughout and an interesting choice which leads her being locked up in the SHU. I hope in S7 she's back to ruling the roost.

Cindy: Always one of my favourites and one of the more obviously comic characters, this season gave Adrienne C Moore a lot more dramatic material to work with and she steps up, for sure. I felt like her and Suzanne being the only 2 to witness the Piscatella murder cover up would give Cindy a much more exciting arc, thinking she would help to bring the shooters down from inside but reflecting, I understand why the writers chose the route they did - an incarcerated black woman would never be able to bring down white men in uniform - and while it makes sense, I felt robbed by how she had to betray Taystee to survive. Liked the pairing with Flaca.

Nicky: Natasha Lyonne was amazing this season. I love that they gave her character so much to do without subjecting her to relapse or drug issues. Her flashback episode was strong and I love her wily way of keeping Lorna out of trouble. Wedding officiating was legit.

Gloria: Another one of my favourites and I love that she had so much material this season. Her takedown of Maria? Yes. Her made up BS of a fake religious holiday just to pass coded messages to Blanca? Hell yes. A more vulnerable and hip-shaking Mendoza? Yes, yes. "Outing" the guards' game. HELL YES. And a strong final scene of the season, in SHU, shooting daggers through Luschek and then breaking and bonding with Red. Hope Gloria gets out by the end of S7.

Daya: I've never been a Daya fan. Yes, she's sweet but the Baby Bennett thing dragged on for seasons and kinda bored me. I loved the part she played in the events leading to the riot but they ran out of ideas for her midway through S5. To me, this was her strongest season as a character and Dasha Polanco (who, to me, often seemed a bit out-acted by her peers) nailed her work here.

Lorna: After building her character in S1-3, I feel like they lost their way with this character back in S4, making her more stupid than daffy-but-loveable. It was welcome relief in S5 amidst the chaos of the riot but this season she was almost intolerable for me. Gang affiliation? Lorna?! One of the more dramatic season ends for her though and S7 will be interesting for her.

Flores: Honestly, one of the most devastating scenes in this whole series and at least for me, completely unexpected. Despite being used as comic relief a lot (them eyebrows though), it's often forgotten that it was Blanca's strength and FTP attitude that spear-headed the cafeteria protest that incited the riot. Then she played a much bigger role in S5 as a foil to Red which was an odd couple that I quite liked. Interesting to note that Laura Gomez was upgraded to regular cast from recurring cast this season, only to end the season out of the prison (and likely out of the show for good). And all this, from the weird ass woman Piper thought was crazy in S1 but was actually smuggling a contraband phone. Blanca didn't have a lot to do this season (I'm glad she got an episode in S4) but she's always been solid and her reaction upon leaving the prison is damn near heart-breaking.

Sophia: Another character released in the finale was Sophia, one of OITNB's most publicised characters when the show first aired. And despite only ever having recurring status, she was given her own episode before any other character except Piper and Red. Unfortunately in S3 you could tell they didn't really know what to do with her anymore and after a late S4 arc and barely-there S5 appearance, she is again relegated to only 3 episodes this year. I will say, I'm glad her character got a happy ending and a goodbye speech with Freida standing in for what would surely have been her first choice, Sister Ingalls.

...................And as for the rest....

Solo Flaca = YES. "You can always have a Southwest Chicken Salad, Cindy."
Caputo = really liked his arc this season. Him and Cindy have got work to do in S7.
Fig = the bar scene with her and Caputo was genuinely great. Human, even.
Freida = yeah. I preferred her in S5.
Pennsatucky = I like this character. Her journey with Coates was OK. She's much more interesting in prison.
Maria = the God interlude was rushed but I quite liked this for Maria. I didn't love how quickly she jumped back into gang life.
Aleida = S5 showed she had great comedic timing and she did one better by showing some quiet depth in S6.
Carol and Barb = so underwhelmed by these two. Their characters might have been better served with no flashback, OR an episode dedicated to the rumours heard by inmates over the years, with no confirmation. Their flashback was weak and for me, made their entire prison personas limp A F.
Madison = yeah. Nah.
Daddy = not-as-memorable yeah, nah but with better character motivations
Adeola = it took until the finale before anyone even used her name, FFS. Some amazing lines from this lady. More please.
Luschek = I'm done with this dude
McCullough = strong performance. Good arc this season.
All other COs = what the hell? Sadistic freaks where the writers took turns drawing quirks from a hat and randomly assigning them out, in order to make them appear more human

All in all, much stronger season than 5. I loved the arcs for most of the returning characters but didn't like the new characters. Didn't miss the ones they didn't bring back either... not to say, I wouldn't mind seeing them again. It would be SICK in S7 if we get to Miss Claudette, who was sent to Max in Season 1.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:38 pm

Muzikritik wrote:So I started writing a review. And got carried away. Like, AWAY away. #SPOILERS.
I'm glad you did, I enjoyed reading it. I think I'm going to attempt the same.

Spoiler:
I've never understood the dislike of Piper. I feel like her character progression has been done really well. Her leaving is the best route for the show to continue. I'm also looking forward to seeing how she deals out of prison.

Alex was underused as usual. The whole 'Where's Alex' thing was just stupid. It was obvious we where going to see her. But i suppose it did lead to Piper selling out Red because she thought Alex was dead.

Red is one of the best characters for me. The actress is outstanding. You feel everything she does. Her scenes with Carol where quite funny. When she was talking about how to kill Freida. This is the red that I love. I prefer Red when she isn't a victim.

The end for Blanca was truly heartbreaking. Seeing her boyfriend waiting for her while she realised she was going to be deported was just so sad. Not going to lie, I cried with her. I reckon she's going to be back. There's no way they would have teased the new detention centres without them being used next series. So I hope we see her fight to avoid being deported.

Gloria is one of my favs. I felt so bad for her last series, but she has come back strong. I hope she's a big part of season 7.

God, even thinking about the Taystee outcome has me tearing up. The silence when the verdict was being revealed was so intense. She's by far the best part of this series. I really enjoyed her storyline with Joe as well. Danielle Brooks needs to win awards for her performance. I agree, the 'there ain't no justice' was just so true to what's happening in real life. Heartbreaking.

I've not liked Freida this season. I found her likeable before and I was interested in why she was the way she was. She's just selfish and out for herself. I don't like how she treated suzanne.

Daya is another that I used to really like. However the drug storyline is putting me off. I get why she's doing it. She's there for life. I hope she sees sense and it doesn't end horribly which I have a feeling it might. Her mother however is amazing and hilarious. I'm so glad we are still following her story.

The new characters where a mixed bag. I didn't care for the sisters arch. It was clearly obvious what was going to happen. I really enjoyed Daddy. I didn't enjoy Madison. I get why she's like that. I just don't like her.

The end scenes where just brilliant from Maria and the guards sweetish moment, to them deciding they didn't have any beef with each other and just playing the game.

All in all I enjoyed the series. I do miss a few of the characters that where absent and I really hope we see some of them in season 7. I'll probably watch again in a few weeks, so my opinions may change, but it was a much stronger season than 5.
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby Muzikritik » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:42 pm

^ Thanks, that's cool of you to say.

Seems like we're on the same page with a lot of our observations. S7 really will be interesting... I feel like it's gonna be the last season... because of the format I guess they could continue on and on with new characters but I hope they don't. And if it is the last one, they'll be going for broke in terms of wrapping up the storylines.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:56 pm

I hope it's not the last series. There are far too many stories to tie up. I'd be happy for it to be continued in a spin of. Something that Orange is the new Max. I still think there are loads more stories to tell. If the writing continues to be good, I'll continue to watch :)
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby Damiennatas1 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:58 am

This was a really good season. Probably the best since season 2!
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby Thriller » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:22 pm

They don’t need Piper to continue this show! It could run for so long.

I loved the finale, the way the kick ball game ended up meaning more than a pointless feud and Carol and Barb’s joint demise was brilliant.

I was actually so happy at the releases, Piper was a lot more likeable this season. I was rooting for her so much. Poor Blanca and Taystee though!
Thriller

Postby JimJim » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:08 am

I quite enjoyed this season. It was always going to be hard coming after season 5, but I think they did a good job.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Serby » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:52 am

Thriller wrote:They don’t need Piper to continue this show! It could run for so long.

I loved the finale, the way the kick ball game ended up meaning more than a pointless feud and Carol and Barb’s joint demise was brilliant.

I was actually so happy at the releases, Piper was a lot more likeable this season. I was rooting for her so much. Poor Blanca and Taystee though!
All of this! Exactly my thoughts (tho I'd love me some more Piper).

This season was really good, really one of my fav shows ever tbh.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby AndiIversen » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:32 pm

This season wasn't as unbearable as the last one, glad it's ending next season! Free Taystee!
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby Serby » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:35 pm

AndiIversen wrote:This season wasn't as unbearable as the last one, glad it's ending next season! Free Taystee!
lmao sis, how can you not enjoy this and shade last season that was perhaps the best one ever
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Return to TV