The Pokémon Discussion Thread (incl. Pokémon GO!)

Moderator: menime123

Postby SummerPeur » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:25 pm

phoenix98 wrote:
SummerPeur wrote:1st Pokemon - Turtwig (Male) - Impish Nature

(I don't much know about the 'natures' with pokemon, so not sure if Impish is good).
Cute! Tansike would approve ;) Are you usually a fan of the Grass starters? Do you ever use nicknames?

Usually I will (most often then not) select the Grass starter Pokemon, and I'm hoping Turtwig evolves into something similar to Venusaur. However Piplup was adorable as well!

Surprisingly I never got into the habitat of naming my Pokemon with nicknames. Is that something you like to do?
How about you Get the F*** Out.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:40 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Usually I will (most often then not) select the Grass starter Pokemon, and I'm hoping Turtwig evolves into something similar to Venusaur. However Piplup was adorable as well!

Surprisingly I never got into the habitat of naming my Pokemon with nicknames. Is that something you like to do?
Lovin' the Piplup shout-out 8-) It's easily my favorite of that bunch!

I never used nicknames either (probably influenced by the fact that Ash/none of the main characters on the show ever did) until I started trying out Nuzlockes a couple years ago, and the idea really grew on me. I can be WAY too indecisive about picking them sometimes, though... :lol:
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Erotica » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:40 am

I Never use nicknames ^^
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:17 pm

I solo'ed Alakazam today! Damn it was so hard, but I managed to do it on the fourth attempt and was really really happy!

Moveset was Confusion+Future Sight which was tricky because confusion hits like a truck.

My team:
2 Tyranitar Bite+Crunch
2 Gengar Shadow Claw+Shadow Ball
1 Scizor Fury Cutter+X-Scissor
1 Mewtwo Psycho Cut+Shadow Ball
Last edited by DnBLover on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:18 pm

^^^ Go you!!

That’s not easy feat at all.
Spartan
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Spartan wrote:^^^ Go you!!

That’s not easy feat at all.
It took me 4 attempts. And it was freezing, about -8 or something.
I hoped my first to solo would have Psycho Cut instead but I still went for it anyway.

But I was extremely happy, had been one of my objectives. Soloing Machamp is nice but I already have 12 :lol:

Now I want to duo Tyranitar!
DnBLover
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:30 pm

DnBLover wrote:It took me 4 attempts. And it was freezing, about -8 or something.
I hoped my first to solo would have Psycho Cut instead but I still went for it anyway.

But I was extremely happy, had been one of my objectives. Soloing Machamp is nice but I already have 12 :lol:
:o Epic! Huge "CONGRATS!" on Alakazam too!

I've always played it safe and just stuck to Tier 2 Bosses when I'm by myself, but it's really encouraging to see what one player can accomplish with the right team + smart strategy!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:34 pm

That’s why I’ve never caught an Absol, never been able to solo it. I wish it were available in the wild.
Spartan
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:42 pm

Soloing Tier 3 raids is what's most fun about this game for me.

You should definitely try it! Alakazam is really hard, but some tier 3 raids are very easy actually. Not sure if Piloswine is gone, but he was soloable with a big variety of counters. Also Azumarill was very easy.

Currently Scyther is very easy if you have a rock team. 2-3 Golems will do, even sudowoodo or Lunatone with the right moveset will do. Definitely easier than Cloyster which is tier 2!

And then now you have Starmie which is quite easy if you do it weather boosted, especially. I haven't tried Aerodactyl but it should also be doable with relative ease. Claydol though is extremely hard and requires weather boost to beat.

Machamp is easy if it's Counter+Close Combat versus a good Psychic team, such as Espeon and Aakazam. Any Machamp is easy with a high-level Lugia though.

Tier 3 have much better rewards, such as TMs, so it's definitely worth the investment!
DnBLover
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Spartan wrote:That’s why I’ve never caught an Absol, never been able to solo it. I wish it were available in the wild.
Absol is not soloeable but it's duoble with decent fighting teams. If it's cloudy then it's super easy to duo
DnBLover
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:44 pm

I don’t keep more than one of any Pokémon, except for those damn event Pikachu which I’m not allowed to bin apparently.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:45 pm

DnBLover wrote:
Spartan wrote:That’s why I’ve never caught an Absol, never been able to solo it. I wish it were available in the wild.
Absol is not soloeable but it's duoble with decent fighting teams. If it's cloudy then it's super easy to duo
Awesome.

Phoenix, if it’s cloudy in San Francisco when I’m over there we’ll double team an Absol. :lol:
Spartan
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Spartan wrote:I don’t keep more than one of any Pokémon, except for those damn event Pikachu which I’m not allowed to bin apparently.
Hmm yeah for this game it pays to have full teams of certain pokes. Like Golems and especially Machamp.

But you can have variety. For instance, for Tyranitar it's possible to duo with all different Pokemon. Machamp, Haryiama (very good), Blaziken, Herracross (yeah, impossible to get), Breloom and Poliwrath.
For Machamp you can do Espeon, Alakazam, Gengar, Slowking/Slowbro and legendaries. Rayquaza can be really good, Lugia is optimal, Ho-Oh is very tanky too. I've even seen a Machamp solo just with Xatus!

So there are always fun ways solo raid bosses without having to submit to the metagame.

But Tier 4 are not soloable by anyone, as of yet.
DnBLover
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:50 pm

^^^ Many thanks for all the specific tips - and for making it sound pretty approachable, even if we haven't invested in some of the best Boss counters!

Like Spartan, I don't have many duplicates, and I've never buffed any of the Legendaries I've caught (since I usually use my Rare Candy to buff hard-to-find favorites so I can leave them as Gym defenders), so it really helps to know that mixed teams are viable too (especially in beneficial weather.) It's also reassuring to see that Cloyster is tricky by design and it wasn't just my ineptitude that made it a surprising struggle. :lol:

Spartan wrote:Phoenix, if it’s cloudy in San Francisco when I’m over there we’ll double team an Absol. :lol:
:cry: I thought you'd never ask. <3
phoenix98
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:30 am

So Lugia is back. Finally. Reason to play - very bored lately.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:48 am

Well that was easy :lol:
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:52 am

menime123 wrote:Well that was easy :lol:
Apparently there are shiny ones!
Spartan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:40 pm

Looks like Spinda might be on the horizon too :D From The Silph Road:

A whole new species has been discovered in the APK this round: Spinda! The quirky ‘spot panda’ normal-type Pokémon Spinda was introduced in Gen III and has one very interesting characteristic: Spinda are said to have unique spot patterns!

An exciting clue has appeared in the metadata that points to a special handling of the panda-mon: 8 variants have been added to the species dictionary! We’re excited to see what might cause these variants to differ in wild encounters soon.

Having 8 different pattern options is a tad underwhelming (and random) compared to the MASSIVE range of possibilities in the main games, but I'm glad they're at least acknowledging that attribute in some way!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Spartan wrote:
menime123 wrote:Well that was easy :lol:
Apparently there are shiny ones!
Got one today - you don’t know if it’ll be shiny or not until you defeat it in the raid. 100% catch rate if you happen upon the shiny one though :)
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:47 pm

How does everyone spend their rare candies? Because of the high walk rate per legendary, I’ve been saving them for those Pokémon... but I can’t decide which ones to focus on powering up .
menime123
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:15 pm

menime123 wrote:How does everyone spend their rare candies? Because of the high walk rate per legendary, I’ve been saving them for those Pokémon... but I can’t decide which ones to focus on powering up .
I'd love to hear DnBLover's thoughts on this (with all their solo Raid experience!)

I've usually just used mine to power up hard-to-find favorites (like Swampert) in order to leave them as Gym Defenders, but with those taken care of now, it'd be great to know which Legendaries are considered the most investment-worthy. Mewtwo seems like a pretty safe bet, but who else offers the most utility?
phoenix98
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:11 pm

I have Mewtwo and I’m not sure it’s worth the investment.
menime123
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Haven't had a chance to play platinum too much - however I'll give an update tonight for anyone interested! :D
How about you Get the F*** Out.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Ok, my take on Rare Candy. Please try to follow.

As a rule of thumb, use it only on Legendaries. For a number of reasons, namely:
- they are hard to get
- most won't be returning so you won't get other chances of getting candy
- they're overpowered
- you have to walk 20 km for 1 candy.

Obviously, this depends on how you play, if you manage to raid and get bosses and if you like playing with Legendaries, but truth is, they make life (much) easier.

Rayquaza has the highest neutral DPS out of any pokes. You can basically solo almost everything (Tier 3) just with a team of maxed out Rayquazas (some people have it), including the mighty Jolteon. Although a great Dragonite is bulkier and can do much of the same, with less power. So I wouldn't recommend investing if you already have a Dragon squad.

Mewtwo is second on that list and Confusion/PsychoCut+Shadow Ball is the MVP in a number of matchups. Gengar, Alakazam, Machamp, Claydol, Jynx all kneel to King Mewtwo. He's the best against them all (just behind Kyogre on Claydoll). Then, he is a fantastic generalist and Focus Blast Mewtwo swipes through gyms with Blissey, Chansey, Snorlax and Tyranitar. He's that good. And he's Mewtwo. Safe investment and recommended.

Raikou is the most overpowered electric type with a fantastic moveset that allows you to hit hard and dodge with ease by using Thundershock+WildCharge. Zapdos follows closely behind with a worse moveset. They will be the overall best counters against the Lati-twins. I recommend Raikou.

Kyogre is the best water type out of all generations to come, this thing is a beast and a single waterfall hits like a freaking truck. Essential if you want to solo Claydol. Did you read the first sentence? Yeah, you won't get a better water type. Against Groudon, he matches a maxed L40 Gyarados at level 24. Yup, safe investment.

Groudon is crippled by ground's poor attacks but Solar Beam alone made him the top counter versus Kyogre with thunder. And if you have a team of Groudons, you can basically solo Jolteon while in your sleep. Not my priority as I have a Rhydon squad, but my weather boosted ones serve me good.

Then you have both fantastic fire types Moltres and Entei, which are left behind just because fire is not meta-relevant at the moment. They will be very useful for Registeel and Regirock and are fantastic counters to Jynx, one of them may be a good idea. If not, Flareon is awesome (just don't spend any rare candy on it!)

Lugia can solo Machamp on its own. And Sky Attack just got boosted, which means he can even do weather boosted Machamp now. 1vs1, no revives wasted... Also he's the most potion-efficient gym sweeper of the game. He makes life easier, I love my Lugia.
Ho-Oh is powerful but basically has shit moveset so I wouldn't touch him without any change.

Suicune is awesome outside of Pogo, Niantic just slaughtered him.

Bottom line: legendaries take your team to the next level, and they are the safest dump for your rare candies. Don't spend them on anything you can walk.
If you don't like Legendaries or can't catch them, think about saving the candy or using it on rare pokes you can't find any other way. Other great investments are obviously Chansey, Ralts (great attacker and Defender), Feebas (milotic is awesome and a brilliant defender), Beldum and other 5km-walking pokes. I wouldn't recommend using it on starters as you can just walk them and they nest, which means that if you go to certain places (check Silph Road) you can probably get all your candies in one afternoon.

So:
1st Legendaries
----
----
2nd Non-nesting Rare 5-km walking Pokes
3rd Your fave poke just because you love it and yolo
DnBLover
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:05 pm

^^ :o I knew you were the resident meta-expert, but that analysis still blew away my expectations! THANK YOU!!

SummerPeur wrote:Haven't had a chance to play platinum too much - however I'll give an update tonight for anyone interested! :D
Yes, PLZ! Any Badges? Who's been deemed team-worthy alongside Turtwig? Is it bringing back all the same good feels you got playing the older games, or not so much?
phoenix98
Legend

Return to Internet & Technology