Spotify

Postby RayRay » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:58 pm

What I really like is how you can change the picture at the top of your playlist. It used to be the four coversleeves of the first four songs. But now you can change it into anything you like. So I uploaded some of my own pictures to add to my playlist. Love it!
RayRay
Superstar

Postby trebor » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:54 am

(Spotify is not scrobbling again (desktop app). What a pain! :x)
Never mind. Just got updated with a huge delay in data transmission... 8-)
trebor
Legend

Postby Colbie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:04 pm

Thanks for the tip RayRay, just changed the picture of my "2016" and "2015" playlists! ;-)
Starry eyes sparking up my darkest night
Colbie
Superstar

Postby JeyBeMust » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:05 pm

OMG! Streaming growth rate is insane! :o

"Negotiations have been taking place between Daniel Ek’s Spotify and the majors about a paid-tier-only option, and most believe it will happen. Spotify’s subscriber base has grown to 120m worldwide, 44.5m paid, 12m in the U.S. (compared to 9m for Apple Music). But the ad-supported free tier, with its 75.5m users, can’t be ignored, in part because it counts as much as the paid tier for chart positions—and that gives Spotify increased leverage with artists who want to be #1."

Source: http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=304539
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby JeyBeMust » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:17 pm

WW Spotify (today's update)

- 1 song had 8M streams
- 3 songs had +4M streams
- 8 songs had +3M streams
- 20 songs had +2M streams
- 63 songs had +1M streams :o
- 183 songs had +500k streams :o

I love Apple Music but they better invest some money because Spotify is already a giant...
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:58 am

I really wouldn't be surprised if Apple just ended up buying out Spotify, simply to eradicate the competition. Apple - for all their innovation and forward thinking - seriously dropped the ball where streaming is concerned and are now playing catchup in a market that doesn't need them.

Apple singlehandedly re-invigorated the singles market with the introduction of the iTunes Store so I'm surprised they ignored/opted out of whatever was going to happen next.

Same with Netflix too actually: had Apple (with its reputation and clout) gotten into the streaming game from the get go, we might not have multiple services with their own explosives, which ultimately ruins the experience of the end user.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby JeyBeMust » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:05 pm

menime123 wrote:I really wouldn't be surprised if Apple just ended up buying out Spotify, simply to eradicate the competition. Apple - for all their innovation and forward thinking - seriously dropped the ball where streaming is concerned and are now playing catchup in a market that doesn't need them.

Apple singlehandedly re-invigorated the singles market with the introduction of the iTunes Store so I'm surprised they ignored/opted out of whatever was going to happen next.

Same with Netflix too actually: had Apple (with its reputation and clout) gotten into the streaming game from the get go, we might not have multiple services with their own explosives, which ultimately ruins the experience of the end user.
I agree. I don't understand how a company with so many resources and at the top of the entertainment industry didn't see that Netflix and Spotify were the future. They should have bought both companies long time ago or, at least, create Apple Music and "Apple Movies" a few years ago.

I would say it's too little too late for them, but we can't ignore that they have $200B in cash to burn, and they are a pretty solid company. Their marketing and influence is impressive.
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby JeyBeMust » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:14 pm

Spotify’s plans for higher quality audio leak

"According to a leaked slide obtained by The Verge, Spotify is planning to introduce a more expensive price tier that offers higher quality lossless audio streaming. The tier is said to be priced at $10 more than Spotify’s standard offering, meaning it will come in at $20 per month.

Spotify claims that its $19.99 per month streaming tier will offer “lossless CD quality audio.” There aren’t any details at this point as to what exact quality Spotify’s offering will stream at, though. The service also isn’t completely rolled out. Spotify appears to be A/B testing the price tier, as it has only appeared for a few users on Reddit. When those users attempt to sign up, though, they are presented with an error message."

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/01/spotify- ... g-quality/
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby JeyBeMust » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:33 pm

OMG!!! Streaming platforms are saving the music industry!!! :o :o

Spotify tops 50 million paid subscribers as it continues battle with Apple Music

"The streaming music subscription battles continue to be fierce as Spotify announces today that it has crossed 50 million paid subscribers for its service. This is up from 40 million in September, an increase in user-base of 25% over about five months.

Apple last announced that the $9.99 Apple Music subscription had more than 20 million paying paid subscribers in December 2016, and is yet to release an up-to-date number …"

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/02/spotify- ... /?pushup=1
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:18 pm

Steaming is the last, final format for the industry imo. Where else could it go? I don't think it should be free though, and in the scheme of things 70 million worldwide paid subscriptions (across 2 services) isn't huge.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby JeyBeMust » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:41 pm

PRIME MOVER: AMAZON'S STREAMING GAINS

"Amazon Music Unlimited has gained 2% marketshare in the streaming racesince last the week of 9/29. We analyzed the top 25k streamed songs at each of the top five accounts, and found that in the last six months, the e-tail giant's service has not only remained the #3 streamery but has moved up from 6-8% marketshare. It was the only service to make an appreciable gain in share during that interval. One likely contributor: the advent of voice-activated gizmo Echo, which became available for the Christmas rush.

Spotify, at around 64% at the end of September, was at 62% the week of 2/23; the Swedish firm, which just announced it has reached the benchmark of 50 million subscribers, remains the 800-lb. gorilla of the platform. Apple Music has remained steady at about 25%.Google Play Music (the audio service, not YouTube) has stuck around 4%, and Tidal at 1%.

Perhaps most notably for the biz as a whole, the 25k songs from each account collectively increased to about 4.5 billion total streams, up almost a billion from 3.6b the week of 9/29."

Streaming platforms marketshare
Spotify: 62%
Apple Music: 25%
Amazon: 8%
Google Play: 4%
Tidal: 1%

Source: http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=305223
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby Serby » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:12 am

Tidal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby SilentDream » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:25 pm

I think it's annoying when the shown artists among the "Similar Artists" section sometimes just have the same nationality as the artist you looked up, but they don't make the same music at all.

However, that's really the only annoying thing about Spotify that I can think of (and it's not a big thing, so it doesn't really matter).
The Fourth Wall
#T4W
SilentDream
Manager

Postby Hugo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Spotify, Universal Sign Deal to Temporarily Place New Albums Behind Paywall

Spotify has finalized a new, multi-year global license agreement with Universal Music Group that, as expected, gives UMG artists access to a “flexible release policy” — namely, the ability to window new albums for paid users only for a two week period.

The agreement, announced today, represents the end of Spotify’s long-standing policy of granting all of its users — both free and premium alike — access to complete albums on their release dates. In making the announcement, Spotify chairman and CEO Daniel Ek said the new partnership was built on a “mutual love of music” between the companies, and part of an initiative to create more value for artists.

“We will be working together to help break new artists and connect new and established artists with a broadening universe of fans in ways that will wow them both,” said Ek in a statement. “We know that not every album by every artist should be released the same way, and we’ve worked hard with UMG to develop a new, flexible release policy.”

Ek said the flexible release policy for UMG begins immediately, so upcoming albums from the label’s artists could feasibly be affected. UMG artists will be able to choose to keep their albums on premium for two weeks only, before they are released wide, giving paid subscribers a complete picture of the work. Any singles will continue to be available across all tiers, he noted.

Sir Lucian Grainge, chairman and CEO of Universal Music Group, released the following statement about the pact: “Eight years ago, when streaming was a welcome but small source of revenue, UMG embraced partners like Spotify as a way to help return music to a vibrant future benefiting the entire ecosystem. Working hand in hand with these digital services brought us the industry’s first real growth in nearly two decades.”

He added, “Today, streaming represents the majority of the business. Our challenge is transforming that upturn into sustainable growth. In a market this dynamic, one evolving more rapidly than ever before, success requires creative and continual re-evaluation of how best to bring artists’ music to fans. At UMG, we’ve not only re-imagined distribution models and technologies, but entire business models. The only constants must be great music and fair compensation for artists and creators. To that end, the long-term success of Spotify, and others like it, is essential to the ecosystem’s enduring health.”

Spotify has not announced any other similar licensing deals with other major labels. The agreements are seen as a crucial step as Spotify tries to clear the path for an IPO in 2018.

Spotify’s position had always been that a wide release to both its ad-supported and paid tiers was the best way to reach fans with new music. Other major streaming services, including Apple Music, Amazon and Tidal, do not encounter the same issue as they don’t offer a “freemium” option. By adopting windowing for big releases, Spotify is adding a major incentive for free users to upgrade — though it could also send listeners elsewhere, like YouTube, which has an ad-supported tier as well, or back to piracy.

http://www.spin.com/2017/04/spotify-uni ... s-paywall/
lol
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby KokoCollino » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:01 pm

But full albums are not regularly on YouTube are they?
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby Rihab » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:06 pm

This is the beginning of the end for the Spotify free tier. You can't win against Apple and Google.
Rihab
Legend

Postby RayRay » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:07 pm

I think most music lovers pay for Spotify already anyway.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby KokoCollino » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Rihab wrote:This is the beginning of the end for the Spotify free tier. You can't win against Apple and Google.
And Amazon. It's triple A actually, Amazon, Apple, Alphabet.

But I don't think they labels want that. Spotify free rates are higher than piracy's (0) and YouTube's.
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby JeyBeMust » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:08 pm

I'm super excited about this new era. Streaming platforms are saving the industry and also, even when I'm a huge Apple fanboy, I'm glad that Apple doesn't have another monopoly and Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Amazon and Google will have to fight to gain more subscribers 8-)

The harder it gets for them, the better for us :wink:
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby Airwrecka » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:25 pm

JeyBeMust wrote:I'm super excited about this new era. Streaming platforms are saving the industry and also, even when I'm a huge Apple fanboy, I'm glad that Apple doesn't have another monopoly and Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Amazon and Google will have to fight to gain more subscribers 8-)

The harder it gets for them, the better for us :wink:
I agree, as long as it doesn't mean more service exclusivity deals. No one is here for having four different subscriptions.

I pay for Apple Music And Spotify, because I use them both in different ways. Realistically, I could probably cancel one, but I spend far less on music in this age of streaming, so two convenient subscriptions is fine by me. :)
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby jpguy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:35 pm

I still don't understand how this company is "losing money"?
I read an article and it mentioned how great the number of subscribers is going as of now but the company was still not making a positive profit? Someone can explain?
::: Shinin', shinin', just like a DIAMOND, blindin' blindin' :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby Magnus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:29 pm

If subscribers tend to stick around then I guess it makes sense that for now they're spending all the money on marketing and expanding to more markets. (This will lead to larger profits in the long run.) But they'll be in trouble if large amounts of subscribers start switching to competing services.
Magnus
Manager

Postby NoAngel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:37 pm

jpguy wrote:I still don't understand how this company is "losing money"?
I read an article and it mentioned how great the number of subscribers is going as of now but the company was still not making a positive profit? Someone can explain?
The most of their profit (>70%) goes to labels and copyright owners. The remaining is spent on marketing and operational cost, but apparently that's not enough.
B. get off my pole!
NoAngel
Superstar

Postby Mikerocha » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:50 pm

menime123 wrote:Steaming is the last, final format for the industry imo. Where else could it go? I don't think it should be free though, and in the scheme of things 70 million worldwide paid subscriptions (across 2 services) isn't huge.
Brain ship implant. or something :lol:
I'm ready to be loved and love the way I should
Life's about, life's about to get good
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby sadd33 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:15 am

Great products you recommend, just what I was looking for
sadd33
Groupie

Return to Internet & Technology