Samsung (Note 8)

Postby truthless » Wed May 20, 2015 10:13 pm

hugo wrote:
truthless wrote:Bought the S6 now...For an amazing price of 520€. Ebay for life.
I wish my nexus' camera was as good as the S6, I hope you enjoy it!!! 8-)
Thank you :D.

I received it today. I'm definitely overjoyed with this smartphone. It is amazing. The camera is damn freaking good. Leaves my Nexus 4 to the pits. Obviously the speed of the phone is top notch. No comparison to my nexus or what so ever. Obviously I love the more crispier screen too.

+ Finally LTE Internet.

Although I can use my new sim card in a week. So I have to use my Nexus 4 in that time frame, sadly.

I don't regret that I bought the S6 Galaxy. Amazing work Samsung.
truthless
Once in a lifetime

Postby oaknuys » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:52 pm

I'm like an inch far from buying it now.

Been halting myself to buy it but now i feel its indeed the best device all around despite from its obvious drawbacks. ...think I'll go for just as i went to every Galaxy S device in last 5yrs.

The only thing that stops me to buy it is not knowing what apple has cooked for as their next installment lol
Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting :)
oaknuys
Manager

Postby Hugo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:23 pm

My tab s 8.4 has finally updated to Lollipop 5.0.2 :D
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Magnus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:11 pm

I accidentally destroyed my phone today :(. It was very stupid, I tried jumping over a "fence" and somehow stumbled and uncontrollably fell over it. Not sure if the phone that was in my front pocket got stuck between my leg and the fence or if I landed on it but anyway the screen got completely smashed. It only shows some coloured dots and touch input does not work at all. (I guess I was lucky not to hurt myself.)

It was a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I was mostly happy with although it was a little on the big side. I need to get a new phone ASAP (tomorrow) because that was the only working phone I had. Any advice on what to get? I find the Galaxy S6 a little too expensive and I don't like that the S5 is larger than the S4. It doesn't have to be a Samsung, I'd consider any Android phone.
Magnus
Manager

Postby oaknuys » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:31 pm

Magnus wrote:I accidentally destroyed my phone today :(. It was very stupid, I tried jumping over a "fence" and somehow stumbled and uncontrollably fell over it. Not sure if the phone that was in my front pocket got stuck between my leg and the fence or if I landed on it but anyway the screen got completely smashed. It only shows some coloured dots and touch input does not work at all. (I guess I was lucky not to hurt myself.)

It was a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I was mostly happy with although it was a little on the big side. I need to get a new phone ASAP (tomorrow) because that was the only working phone I had. Any advice on what to get? I find the Galaxy S6 a little too expensive and I don't like that the S5 is larger than the S4. It doesn't have to be a Samsung, I'd consider any Android phone.
Kicked out my S6 after a month of use! Its Abysmal battery life was unbelievably shocking ! With a %60 display brightness i could not have get more than 2.30hrs screen on time! Imagine the number would have been even worse if the brightness was cranked up to %80 instead! S5 would have lasted 4.3hrs with the same brightness level thus it turned out a huge disappointment to me :(

Even iphone 6 seem to have a more sensible battery life than the shocking S6 ! Sad to say but Sammy ruined it on S6!

If you are in US you can go for Samsung Galaxy S6 Active! That one has the same amazing camera / display yet it comes with a lot bigger battery capacity than the original S6! And best of all its water and shock proof too!

If you can wait I'd say wait for 3 weeks to get the brand new Sony Xperia M5 ! It was announced two days ago but will hit the market very soon! Its got the brand new sony camera sensor with a ultra super fast shutter speed at 20megapixels! A slim but super sleek water proof body and a 5" HD display and a very sensible battery life! The gold version is damn hot too! And best of all its hell alot cheaper than S6!

If you wanna go out and buy something sensible right now... then its gonna be S5! It might look plastiky and dated... but it has a lovely camera, water proofing and a great battery life yet with a heavily dropped price!

Lemme know if you have further questions :)
Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting :)
oaknuys
Manager

Postby Magnus » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:58 pm

^ Thanks oaknuys! I couldn't decide so I ended up just buying the cheapest smartphone the store had (€55 Huawei) just so I have something that works until I can decide. And it works surprisingly well, though it's slow, the camera sucks and it's 12 mm thick.

Thanks for warning me about the S6! I've been thinking about the Samsung A5 (smaller and less expensive but still good enough I think) or getting a used S4 the same as I had. But I can definitely wait a few weeks as I don't plan on doing any travelling where I would need a good camera. When I'm at home I rarely use it for anything other than phone calls and text messages anyway. I've never tried a Sony phone but that Xperia M5 does sound interesting!
Magnus
Manager

Postby oaknuys » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:21 pm

Magnus wrote:^ Thanks oaknuys! I couldn't decide so I ended up just buying the cheapest smartphone the store had (€55 Huawei) just so I have something that works until I can decide. And it works surprisingly well, though it's slow, the camera sucks and it's 12 mm thick.

Thanks for warning me about the S6! I've been thinking about the Samsung A5 (smaller and less expensive but still good enough I think) or getting a used S4 the same as I had. But I can definitely wait a few weeks as I don't plan on doing any travelling where I would need a good camera. When I'm at home I rarely use it for anything other than phone calls and text messages anyway. I've never tried a Sony phone but that Xperia M5 does sound interesting!
You are most welcome indeed.

I warned you about the S6 battery but let me warn you with its super slippery body design too lol unless you don't plan to put it in a case it will fly in a blink of an eye! Specially the Edge version is almost impossible to handle lol...

Anyhow to be fair i need to tell you about the SUPERB camera quality of S6 as well! It's simply phenomenal compared to any android / ios device! The level clarity and detailing is insane and all pictures are always shake free due to zero shutter lag! But whats the use if one has to be always wall hugging with a charger instead of freely using the brilliant features of this phone lol

As for Sony, they are the benchmarks of the greatest battery lives in recent yrs (except for the Xperia Z3 Plus). Their cameras were always good but not class leading... Anyhow with the release of M5 they have finally implemented the brand new sony sensor with ultra fast hybrid focusing and people are saying the new sensor do wonders with the quality of the final image! So its a good point indeed! Moreover their M5 is water proof thus you are worry free of accidental water and rain exposures:) thankfully M5 comes with a Transparent glass-like back cover so not only it looks awesome on Gold variant but also it wont break like the phones which are graced with actual glass on their backs instead ;) finally the price is set so sensible as Sony decided to put M5 as their new HighEndMidRange device ... The Z5 should be coming on sept/oct but its said to be having a 5.5" screen and a heavy price tag too... So M5 sounds like a decent plan if you wanna go for a complete package at a nice price and a superb look and brilliant features:)

Other than that, S5 & S6 Active are the two other choices... Sadly S6 Active is an exclusive device to ATT thus its a sim lock one.

Avoid any HTC Devices of this season as they have abysmal cameras and batteries (they look decent nevertheless) and LG G4 has a great camera similar to S6 but its battery is even worse than S6 and it has a lot bigger footprint than S6 too lol

Avoid Sony Xperia Z3 Plus due to relatively weak battery, dated design and more importantly due to excessive device heating problems, while its successor (Z5) will come around in sept/oct.

Lemme know how it goes with your choices... Its a tad confusing but you gonna spend ur hard earned cash so it deserves a bit of research beforehand :)

And A5 is a very usual device mocked up in a fancy design. Its hardware is just average and its camera does fine outdoors with plenty of light... But it does crap when the light is dim... Its more of a midranger graced with fancy looks... Better to skip it if u need decent battery, camera and a fast performance as it starts to lag as its memory is filled up!

I'm here for u incase you have more questions:)
oaknuys
Manager

Postby Hugo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:58 pm

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:49 pm

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Magnus » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:01 pm

^
Those look really nice. If I had more money (that I didn't need for more essential stuff) I would buy both just to show off and play with. But they're way too big to carry around all of the time.
Magnus
Manager

Postby oaknuys » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Magnus wrote:^
Those look really nice. If I had more money (that I didn't need for more essential stuff) I would buy both just to show off and play with. But they're way too big to carry around all of the time.
Both devices are extremely big. I'd normally say no to anything bigger than 5.2" as carrying such devices in jeans happens to be totally impossible.

The newely announced devices are topnotch phones but they dont offer no big innovations in comparison to S6/S6 Edge.

Mainly the differences are:

- a slight processor bump / compared to S6
- 1gb extra ram compared to S6 / making it a total of 4gb
- fast charger is now available also on the wireless charger too
- slight battery increase though the results are likely as abysmal as S6 as such big and dense screen do need more juice already
- bigger screen due to the different nature of phablet line up compared to S6
- the addition of the new silver colour and the ommission of the iconic light blue colour compared to S6
- the presence of improved S-Pen though its only available for the Note 5 and not on S6 Edge Plus
- note 5 will be an US/Asian Exclusive with no tentative Euro Release while S6 Edge Plus will go for all international markets
- super heavy pricetags for the contract-free variants
- both devices will only be offered in 32 and 64gb variants, while S6 was initially available at 128gb for selected markets
- both devices do come with fixed batteries and fixed memory storages similar to S6 and S6 Edge
- no water proofing feature similar to S6 / S6 Edge as opposed to last year's S5
- the presence of the same truly outstanding camera module of S6
- the presence of the same double gorilla glass body similar to S6 / S6 Edge
- the presence of a tailormade actual qwerty keyboard/case combo accessory for both phablets

As i mentioned all 4 devices of this year's samsung high end portfolio are very great devices in terms of camera / looks / blazing fast performances but all four of them are ruined by fragile built quality / abysmal battery lives / fixed battery and memory expansions and lack of waterproofing.

I cant say I'm fully behind Samsung's ideas this year as they omitted some of their signature key features for no apparent reason in comparison to their last year's top devices.

---

Magnus >>

Get ready for the soft release of Galaxy S5 Neo in Europe in the coming weeks :

- it comes with a reworked back cover design than the original S5
- its usb / charger slot is now capless despite being waterproof as opposed to the original S5
- the front camera is now bumped from S5's 2mpx to 5mpx similar to S6
- the processor is swapped with a Samsung Exynos instead of the S5's Snapdragon 801
- the dimensions and the frontal design and the waterproofiing remains the same as S5
- the fingerprint unlock key is (likely) to be removed as opposed to the original S5
- the device will recieve most android os updates for a longer time as opposed to S5
- S5 Neo version will likely to be available only in dark blue variant as opposed to S5's various colour schemes
- S5 Neo is already available for preorder in a few European online retail shops though it will be widely available soon as Samsung will only release it in Europe as a soft release with no big announcement as its a mid-life refresh to the original S5.
oaknuys
Manager

Postby Magnus » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:53 pm

^ Thanks oaknuys for the info about S5 Neo! I really miss my S4 though (the exact look and size/weight) so I have more or less made up my mind to buy a "new" (used) S4.
Magnus
Manager

Postby oaknuys » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:05 pm

Magnus wrote:^ Thanks oaknuys for the info about S5 Neo! I really miss my S4 though (the exact look and size/weight) so I have more or less made up my mind to buy a "new" (used) S4.
You're very welcome. :)
Just be aware S4 won't recieve further Android OS Updates thus you will likely lose the new upcoming features of it and more importantly some new applications will demand the os to be upgraded in order for it be installed. so things might get risky. The new android M is just around the corner and goodies are coming with it too.
oaknuys
Manager

Postby oaknuys » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:11 pm

Magnus>

As a quick tip i'd say go and check out S5 Mini too.
The selling price of S5 Mini is already dropped alot since its release and it has a relatively upgraded os and will also be upgraded to 5.0 or 5.1.

Nevertheless S5 Mini is very handy device due to perfect sizing and it comes with a decent super bright amoled display / waterproofing / fingerprint unlock sensor / heartrate monitor / battery saving modes and a few more goodies here and there.

On the downside it can get laggy if its been pushed to its limits but so does S4.

The best part is it comes with a sturdy built so it can handle a couple of knocks quite well.
oaknuys
Manager

Postby Magnus » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:17 pm

oaknuys wrote:You're very welcome. :)
Just be aware S4 won't recieve further Android OS Updates thus you will likely lose the new upcoming features of it and more importantly some new applications will demand the os to be upgraded in order for it be installed. so things might get risky. The new android M is just around the corner and goodies are coming with it too.
Oh well, I never updated the old one so I can probably live with that. I did update the Android version on my Galaxy S tablet and wasn't entirely happy about that. And it's not like I will never get a newer phone, just am not really ready for it yet.
Magnus
Manager

Postby oaknuys » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:30 pm

Magnus wrote:
oaknuys wrote:You're very welcome. :)
Oh well, I never updated the old one so I can probably live with that. I did update the Android version on my Galaxy S tablet and wasn't entirely happy about that. And it's not like I will never get a newer phone, just am not really ready for it yet.
Well that sounds fine then :) still it won't hurt to check out S5Mini as well ;) but by all means avoid the super crappy S4 Mini as its pure crap and happens to one of thier all time worst ones;)
oaknuys
Manager

Postby Magnus » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:53 pm

oaknuys wrote:Well that sounds fine then :) still it won't hurt to check out S5Mini as well ;) but by all means avoid the super crappy S4 Mini as its pure crap and happens to one of thier all time worst ones;)
I think I got addicted to the 5 inch screen; definitely my biggest complaint so far with the temporary low-end Huawei phone is that the screen is only 4 inches (but any bigger on that model and it would be too bulky instead...). Maybe I could live with 4.5 but the camera is also lower-resolution than the S4 one. Btw, I also realized how much I love the physical home button on the Samsung phones (and tablets) so this is a big hurdle for getting a Sony or another brand.
Magnus
Manager

Postby luckyONE » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:06 am

for about 2 1/4 years I used the Samsung Galaxy S4 and was pleased with it..
now I finally bought a new Smartphone and it is the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and I'm loving it so much already. :D
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby oaknuys » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:36 pm

luckyONE wrote:for about 2 1/4 years I used the Samsung Galaxy S4 and was pleased with it..
now I finally bought a new Smartphone and it is the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and I'm loving it so much already. :D
Great. You should experience a grand display and a wonderful camera :) Congratulations
oaknuys
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:52 pm

That's somehow true but you can get used to it. My Galaxy S6 doesn't disturb me when it's in my jeans anymore and the camera's quality is insane. You basically don't need an extra camera anymore if you go on holidays.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby oaknuys » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:50 am

Mainshow wrote:
That's somehow true but you can get used to it. My Galaxy S6 doesn't disturb me when it's in my jeans anymore and the camera's quality is insane. You basically don't need an extra camera anymore if you go on holidays.
Except during a rainy holiday is where its safer to leave S6 in pockets instead .

I wonder why samsung dropped the water proofiing of S6. ...specially after S5.
oaknuys
Manager

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:39 pm

I've just broke the screen on my phone and need a new one as the battery has also been playing up for quite some time. I like pay as you go and want something which is not too expensive and affordable and which does the job. I splashed out on this current phone and it hasn't really lasted that long imo.

I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy S5 mini for £240, is this a good buy guys? I wanted a S6 edge but it's like £500+! :lol:

BTW: My current one is a Galaxy S4 Zoom.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Hugo » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:38 pm

No, don't go for mini versions of phones. Check out the one plus x or the moto g 2015 for that price
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby MrDiva » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:47 pm

what is the sense of an "edge"?
LIKE VICTORIA FOX ON FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaFoxNow/
Follow me on Instagram @mrdeeva
MrDiva
Superstar

Postby Magnus » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:54 pm

When I broke my phone (see older posts above), I ended up buying a used one of the same model (standard Galaxy S4), for around £160. It was less than a year old and in better condition that my old one (while it was still working). This has worked out well for me. So if you were happy with your old phone (except for worn battery etc) this is an option to consider if you don't need something completely new.
Magnus
Manager

Return to Internet & Technology