Windows 10

 

Postby Hugo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Microsoft jumps to Windows 10
At at event in San Francisco, Microsoft previews the next iteration of its desktop operating system, Windows 10.

Image

AN FRANCISCO -- Microsoft unveiled its new operating system, Windows 10, onstage at in event in San Francisco, Calif. Tuesday.

Originally codenamed Windows Threshold, the new operating system is such a substantial leap, says Microsoft's executive VP of operating systems, Terry Myerson, that the company insisted on skipping over Windows 9 when transitioning from 2012's Windows 8.

"Windows 10 will run on the broadest amount of devices. A tailored experience for each device," Myerson said. "There will be one way to write a universal application, one store, one way for apps to be discovered purchased and updated across all of these devices."

This story is developing...

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-jumps-to-windows-10/
Last edited by Hugo on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 36909
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby Hugo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:34 pm

Image

It already looks better than Windows 8.

And Start Screen in touch.

Image
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 36909
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby Hugo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:16 pm

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 36909
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby ANH » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:09 pm

This looks cute, but after buying a mac and using it for a few months, I could never imagine myself going back to a Windows PC. :oops:

The Xbox still slays lives tho.
b u r n u p II t u r n up II t u r n t up all the way
User avatar
ANH
Superstar
 
Posts: 6922
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010

Postby Hugo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:41 pm

ANH wrote:This looks cute, but after buying a mac and using it for a few months, I could never imagine myself going back to a Windows PC. :oops:

The Xbox still slays lives tho.
I'd buy an iMac if I could afford one. I've used Windows all my life, but the Windows 8 interface was a nightmare, I hate the tiles, it doesn't look good on smartphones and it looks even worse on PCs. This may seem like a step backwards, but thank god for that. I actually can't wait to update my laptop based on these previews.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 36909
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby Shorty » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 pm

LMAO some people haven't even gotten used to Windows 8 and they've announced Windows 10 :lol:

Plus we got Windows 8.1 not that long ago too.

Looks like they're bringing the start menu back, obviously people bitched about it being gone too much. I don't even miss it tbh :lol:
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
User avatar
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan
 
Posts: 14289
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004
Location: New Zealand

Postby Damiennatas1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:26 pm

I have no idea what made them think the Windows 8 layout was a good idea. It's the worst interface I've ever used on a phone never mind a computer :lol:

Glad to see this is taking the more traditional route :)
User avatar
Damiennatas1
Manager
 
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011
Location: Ireland

Postby Oldmacs » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:12 am

I teach people how to use computers/computer consultancy as a uni job, and teaching people Windows 8 is just a nightmare. Quite a few have opted to switch to a Mac rather than learn the Metro/Modern Interface. Basically this is like what Windows 7 was to Vista - a fix to something that people hated. Good to see that they're listening to people though.

I'm going to download the preview to play with :)
User avatar
Oldmacs
Manager
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013
Location: Australia

Postby Hugo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:18 pm

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 36909
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby Airwrecka » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:25 pm

I upgraded to Windows 8, and hated it. I did a Microsoft compatibility test to make sure it would upgrade without problems (it was a new PC anyway), but it created so many bugs that I ended up downgrading back to Windows 7. I'm dreading if / when I need to buy a new PC and it comes with this style. Maybe time to switch to Apple?
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject
 
Posts: 13736
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013
Location: Winterfell

Postby Hugo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:36 pm

Airwrecka wrote:I upgraded to Windows 8, and hated it. I did a Microsoft compatibility test to make sure it would upgrade without problems (it was a new PC anyway), but it created so many bugs that I ended up downgrading back to Windows 7. I'm dreading if / when I need to buy a new PC and it comes with this style. Maybe time to switch to Apple?
I believe what they're trying to create here is a UI similar to Windows 7, more so than Windows 8, making for a smoother transition for Win 7 users. The tiles thing in Win 8 never made sense for a PC that uses mouse and keyboard, so I'm glad they're fixing that (8.1 was a small improvement), my laptop does feature a touchscreen, but I rarely use it. And there are rumours that the Windows 10 update will be free to users, so that would be a big plus.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 36909
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby Airwrecka » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:51 pm

hugo wrote:I believe what they're trying to create here is a UI similar to Windows 7, more so than Windows 8, making for a smoother transition for Win 7 users. The tiles thing in Win 8 never made sense for a PC that uses mouse and keyboard, so I'm glad they're fixing that (8.1 was a small improvement), my laptop does feature a touchscreen, but I rarely use it. And there are rumours that the Windows 10 update will be free to users, so that would be a big plus.
Yeah, my PC is touchscreen too, which was one of the major reasons why I wanted Windows 8. If 10 is more like 7, I may be interested, but the screenshots don't look great to me. It's the whole App thing that annoys me. I use my PC for functional things - if I want to use Apps I'll use my iPad or iPhone. I know that's why they're trying to move into that market, but I think they should stick to what they're good at. Functional systems that can be used in schools, offices, universities and at home. The uneven size boxes in the screenshots do my head in - and were one of the things I hated the most about Windows 8. It just all looks so cumbersome compared to the sleek interface of an iMac.
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject
 
Posts: 13736
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013
Location: Winterfell

Postby Hugo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:52 pm

Airwrecka wrote:
hugo wrote:I believe what they're trying to create here is a UI similar to Windows 7, more so than Windows 8, making for a smoother transition for Win 7 users. The tiles thing in Win 8 never made sense for a PC that uses mouse and keyboard, so I'm glad they're fixing that (8.1 was a small improvement), my laptop does feature a touchscreen, but I rarely use it. And there are rumours that the Windows 10 update will be free to users, so that would be a big plus.
Yeah, my PC is touchscreen too, which was one of the major reasons why I wanted Windows 8. If 10 is more like 7, I may be interested, but the screenshots don't look great to me. It's the whole App thing that annoys me. I use my PC for functional things - if I want to use Apps I'll use my iPad or iPhone. I know that's why they're trying to move into that market, but I think they should stick to what they're good at. Functional systems that can be used in schools, offices, universities and at home. The uneven size boxes in the screenshots do my head in - and were one of the things I hated the most about Windows 8. It just all looks so cumbersome compared to the sleek interface of an iMac.
The thing is you'll be able to get rid of the tiles completely on Windows 10 if you want to, but I think they actually look nice in the start menu, there's not so many of them, so it's not overwhelming.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 36909
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby Airwrecka » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Ah, ok. I'm starting to see what you mean. Maybe I'll reserve judgment til it's finished and launched. :wink:
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject
 
Posts: 13736
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013
Location: Winterfell

Postby Graham76man » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:03 am

You can tell that Microsoft have lost it, when they have lost count. So what happened to Windows 9? I bet they thought that someone would take the micky and call it Windows 9 and three quarters! :wink: :lol:

I now believe that people employed at Microsoft have based the new version on either the actual age of the staff working there or more likely the mental age of those working there.

This might explain why Windows Icons look more suitable for the under ten age group then adults. It reminds me of the 70's show Play School.
Image
In the blue window you have a cloud - for the weather.

The above image also show two Microsoft employees. (Hint they are not the woman or the Play School presenter! :wink:

Does it open with Bob the Builder can we fix it? :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Graham76man on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
User avatar
Graham76man
Manager
 
Posts: 4558
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010
Location: Sheffield

Postby CrazyCrazy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:04 am

graham :lol: :lol: :lol:

this block design is rubbish imo, looks horrible.
User avatar
CrazyCrazy
Legend
 
Posts: 53170
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008
Location: UK

Postby Oldmacs » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:52 am

I wish they would actually do something worthwhile..... Instead of making a 2014 version of Windows 7. Just like Windows 7 was a 2009 version of Xp....
User avatar
Oldmacs
Manager
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013
Location: Australia

Postby ThaInfo1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:07 am

So they just gonna skip the number 9 like that?

I still have windows 7 and will stick with it until I become a macbook hoe next year.
SEE.sza.RUN
User avatar
ThaInfo1
Legend
 
Posts: 20763
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006
Location: Out with your man's best friend.

Postby Shorty » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:01 am

Why are people complaining that they skipped Windows 9? There wasn't a Windows 6, 5 or 4 either :lol:
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
User avatar
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan
 
Posts: 14289
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004
Location: New Zealand

Postby Hugo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:10 am

Shorty wrote:Why are people complaining that they skipped Windows 9? There wasn't a Windows 6, 5 or 4 either :lol:
People like to complain :lol:
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 36909
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby Oldmacs » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:19 pm

hugo wrote:
Shorty wrote:Why are people complaining that they skipped Windows 9? There wasn't a Windows 6, 5 or 4 either :lol:
People like to complain :lol:
Well because they went 7,8,8.1... it just seems really strange.

they had also originally done Windows 1,2,3 without skipping anything.
User avatar
Oldmacs
Manager
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013
Location: Australia

Postby Graham76man » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Windows 98 was the best, or a least better than 95, Vista a joke. Am using Windows 7 which I hate, for these reasons - it's rubbish! Windows Explorer keeps crashing randomly with no solution. I don't like the media library. They way it adds files. The software can't recognise AVG one of the most commonly used anti-virus around the world. It says I have no virus software! I could go on...

The new one I'm not too certain of. The rumour going around is that it will be free, which personally I don't believe. Though it would encourage XP uses to leave it all behind. So they say.... Nevertheless when ever I have seen new Windows OS they all require a motherboard that is compatible with it. So anyone using XP will have a motherboard that's not even compatible with Windows 7.
I wouldn't buy Windows 10, but if it was free, I might run the risk seeing that Windows 7 is crap.
However the childish interface of Windows 10 so far has not impressed me at all. And the few minor adjustments are not impressive at all, unless you are a Windows 8, user nobody cares if they have brought back the start thing. And if they think I'm buying a new motherboard for a childish interface they can think again. :evil:
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
User avatar
Graham76man
Manager
 
Posts: 4558
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010
Location: Sheffield

Postby Airwrecka » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Yes Graham, drag them!! :lol:
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject
 
Posts: 13736
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013
Location: Winterfell

Postby Shorty » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:06 pm

I do think anybody using XP at this point should upgrade cos they don't support it anymore. People are basically being stubborn, using a completely outdated operating system that even Microsoft doesn't support anymore, if there was a problem they'd be complaining but it's not like anybody can do anything :lol:

I still don't understand the bitching about Windows 8, IT'S NOT THAT BAD. A lot of the people who complain about it have hardly ever used it! You use it for a couple of weeks and you get used to it. I don't miss the start menu, cos the start screen is the same thing and you can fit more on it.
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
User avatar
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan
 
Posts: 14289
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004
Location: New Zealand

Postby Graham76man » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:06 pm

Shorty wrote:I do think anybody using XP at this point should upgrade cos they don't support it anymore. People are basically being stubborn, using a completely outdated operating system that even Microsoft doesn't support anymore, if there was a problem they'd be complaining but it's not like anybody can do anything :lol:

I still don't understand the bitching about Windows 8, IT'S NOT THAT BAD. A lot of the people who complain about it have hardly ever used it! You use it for a couple of weeks and you get used to it. I don't miss the start menu, cos the start screen is the same thing and you can fit more on it.
The Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield still use XP! Lots of companies still do.
Many companies use XP because it's reliable. It won't crash when you open an e-mail and have several other programs running and the system is more geared to business practice. Windows 7 and 8 were full of gadgets and gimmicks, Windows 8 as I said looks like a nursery children's book! What business wants to look like a school kids thing.

Microsoft are desperate to get uses to switch. That's the reason they are bringing back features that Windows 8 did away with. The only reason I switched to windows 7 was that my new computer motherboard was not designed to work with XP. If it was I would switch back to XP. So far I have tons of problems with Windows 7. Crashing the explorer. That never happened with XP.

As for Windows 8 great if you had a touch screen laptop. But useless for a PC. The fact that Microsoft have already ditched it tells you that it was bad.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
User avatar
Graham76man
Manager
 
Posts: 4558
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010
Location: Sheffield

Return to Internet & Technology