Wayne
Administrator

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:10 pm

Wayne wrote:Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd.
You better buy it Celine.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Graham76man » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:16 pm

The only catch that I know of is that the update option is compulsory. In that any updates to the system are automatically installed. You can't choose to install them or not, except those on the business versions.
It seems many people were not accepting updates to the previous versions.
There are no other catches. You can even make a disc with windows 10 on it, but it will only work on the computer you download it on. Windows 10 is FREE for the life of your computer. Of course if you were to change say the motherboard, you would then most likely have to pay for it. But most minor changes to hardware shouldn't affect the free status.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Airwrecka » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:16 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:
Wayne wrote:85%!
Proof!

Get Will Young's new album people!
Getdatpromo, Bilbo. 8-)
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Airwrecka » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:19 pm

Graham76man wrote:The only catch that I know of is that the update option is compulsory. In that any updates to the system are automatically installed. You can't choose to install them or not, except those on the business versions.
It seems many people were not accepting updates to the previous versions.
There are no other catches. You can even make a disc with windows 10 on it, but it will only work on the computer you download it on. Windows 10 is FREE for the life of your computer. Of course if you were to change say the motherboard, you would then most likely have to pay for it. But most minor changes to hardware shouldn't affect the free status.
But Graham, you're a cynical fella I know, so you should be with me on this. What's to stop the mandatory updates from editing the software you have to newer versions, and then that newer version is a subscription service? Extreme example, but I can imagine them introducing a Recycle Bin annual waste subscription service like the local council do to allow you to delete files. :lol:
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Graham76man » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:53 am

I think I am with you on this!
But I hate Windows 7 :wink:

The auto update thing does scare me, not for the reason you say, but for the reason that some updates that Microsoft have put out in the past have caused massive problems for computers.
It's a bit like the Adobe Reader DC update, if that was compulsory I would be messing about for ages getting icons back.
Microsoft shouldn't have done that and given the option to switch it off. I do know why they have done it. Some users out there haven't done up updates for ages, plus of course many naughty people can't do updates, since there version of windows was always free, even on windows 7 and 8 :wink:

I have lots of questions still, like what do the operating system icons look like, will windows media player play the video files - MPEG, FLV files - that I have got it to do, using a third party thing?
Will I have to spend ages searching for new versions of software for things like Firefox, printer and scanner drivers, plus signing into every website I currently use because the passwords and cookies have all gone!

If you have Windows 10 you could post us some screen captures of the files on your computer.

I have seen some youtube reviews on it, one said the upgrade is very smooth with no problems. But his desktop had just the trash bin and google chrome icons on it, so no-wonder, if he had no software on his system! My main computer has nearly half the screen full of icons!!!

I'm not with Wayne on this at all. It's not a question of moaning about the thing. But the problems the NERDS at Microsoft do to the things that worked. All for the sake of asking Cortana something.
"Use the mouse" Scotty picks up the mouse "Hello Computer". :lol:

Imagine a call centre with the operators all using Cortana! :roll:
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Wayne » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:01 am

My upgrade went fine - I think Windows 10 looks beautiful.

So pleased to have a Start menu again!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Hugo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:37 am

For those that don't want to wait for the notification to install, you can download W10 HERE. It takes a long time to update, so if that's your only pc, do it when you know you won't need it.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Thriller » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:44 am

hugo wrote:For those that don't want to wait for the notification to install, you can download W10 HERE. It takes a long time to update, so if that's your only pc, do it when you know you won't need it.
Oh good, been waiting for my notification like...

Thriller

Postby Graham76man » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:08 am

Thriller unless you have all the updates needed it will not show the upgrade icons. Also if you do download that version and you never had an icon, or was waiting for it, windows 10 could play havoc with your system.
It seems that each computer will NOT get the same version of the download as everyone else. Uses who have the download files of the system report that the file size is different for each computer it's on. It's tailor made for each computer it will be installed too!
My advice is to wait for the notification from Microsoft to download, or be prepared for a serious CRASH of your computer!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Magnus » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:15 am

Ok, going to do this on my laptop. If it blows up that will give me an excuse for getting a new one (maybe a Mac :P).

Edit: I chickened out after getting a warning about some network card incompatrillibillity :(.
Last edited by Magnus on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnus
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:29 pm

New browser the Edge - does not support add ons - such as bookmarks.

Fault number one! :wink:
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Thriller » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:56 pm

I've upgraded, yay. All seems fine at the moment. Love the new interface, it's all so crisp and organised.

I like Edge a lot but I'll continue to use Chrome until Edge can support an ad-blocker.
Thriller

Postby Graham76man » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:32 pm

Thriller wrote:I've upgraded, yay. All seems fine at the moment. Love the new interface, it's all so crisp and organised.

I like Edge a lot but I'll continue to use Chrome until Edge can support an ad-blocker.
That was very risky. :roll: There are a lot of people on the Microsoft website that are having lots of problems because they downloaded it before Microsoft told them it's ready.
I'm surprised that Microsoft put this on the site. :roll:

Everyone else PLEASE WAIT till you get the message to download :wink:
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Wayne » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:55 pm

For some reason, my work emails don't work in Edge.

I usually go in through Microsoft Webmail under compatibility mode on IE to increase functionality, but a) I can't find the compatibility mode settings on Edge 2) whenever I try and sign in on Edge, I get a page is not found error.

So annoying!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby NoAngel » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:51 pm

I got notification that it's ready to install on the first day. Everything went smoothly. All my hardware and software is compatible with this version. Once I upgraded and confirmed that windows is activated, I did clean install. it even remembered my product key, so there wasn't need to enter it again. So far so good. It's stable, really fast, all my programs work... Good job Microsoft.
B. get off my pole!
NoAngel
Superstar

Postby Hugo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:36 pm

WINDOWS 10

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Graham76man » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:11 pm

If you don't see the ICON it just means that your computer is not ready - YET. Probably due to missing drivers.
If you force the upgrade as the woman suggest in the video you might get a version that doesn't include drivers and will have other bits not working.

Forcing the upgrade can cause the software to ask for a product key, which you don't need! Or Crash your computer. If it does ask for a product key - you might have downloaded the wrong version. Or you have a pirate version of Windows 7 or 8.1.

Those who have got the new version can expect another update which fixes some minor bugs, the reports of which were sent to Microsoft, when people installed 10. This should be due in the next week or so.
In October an even bigger update called Threshold 2 is due. Sometime after that another update that most people think will take it to Windows 10.1.

These two updates will of course have many new features on them.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Just download it for old laptop as it was ready for it!

Verdict....

DISSAPOINTED

The colour screens were RUBBISH, it's all bloody white!
Internet explorer was hidden away, it took me ages to locate it under "WINDOWS ACCESSORIES".
When I finally got it pinned to the taskbar it opened and I clicked my home page - so it then took me to a welcome page about the internet - as though it was something new :roll: Plus a message saying try the edge. :roll: :roll: When you get it working properly with add blockers yes I will, till then it stays unused. :wink:
Program I use - visible on my desktop, works in Windows 7, doesn't in 10. Asking for the program disc :roll:

Loads of useless tiles on the start menu and the weather in London, which I'm not in!

So far the verdict is that if the mess that it's made of the laptop is anything to go by the main one will stay Windows 7.

UPDATE
More faults Windows Media Player can't play Windows Media Video's!
Windows Media Player can't play this file. What you might ask? And MP3 that was included in Windows 7 - the test files!
No FREE test files in Windows 10.

Cortana no available in your region with your chosen language :roll:
That would be UK and English :roll: :roll: :evil:
Graham76man
Manager

Postby NoAngel » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:17 pm

Then you must be using some programs from 1999 or something.

IE is not meant to be used in Win 10. It's only there for legacy apps. And I don't know where did you find WMP. It's not supposed be there too. You should do a clean install.
B. get off my pole!
NoAngel
Superstar

Postby Graham76man » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:09 am

NoAngel wrote:Then you must be using some programs from 1999 or something.

IE is not meant to be used in Win 10. It's only there for legacy apps. And I don't know where did you find WMP. It's not supposed be there too. You should do a clean install.
WMP is meant to be there. Only Windows Media Centre was removed. They are not the same.

Most pundits have said that if your software works in Windows 7 then in should in Windows 10.

I found also that an update to Windows 10 happened at the same time as I was browsing the files system on the laptop. It stopped working!!!!
As you have no control when Windows 10 will update or even when, if your computer can get a little taxed for memory, like my laptop, then it could stop the system working. You might want to consider that if you do have a laptop or computer which struggled or ran slow on Windows 7, before doing the update :wink: .

Can't do a clean install as the Windows 7 came with the computer, built in.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:14 am

LOL, my NVIDIA GeForce is incompatible with W10 so I can't get it yet anyway. :lol:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby NoAngel » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:21 pm

Graham76man wrote:
NoAngel wrote:Then you must be using some programs from 1999 or something.

WMP is meant to be there. Only Windows Media Centre was removed. They are not the same.

Most pundits have said that if your software works in Windows 7 then in should in Windows 10.

I found also that an update to Windows 10 happened at the same time as I was browsing the files system on the laptop. It stopped working!!!!
Wrong again. You actually have to press the button to start the update (or to schedule for later date). What you said is completily false.
B. get off my pole!
NoAngel
Superstar

Postby Graham76man » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:48 pm

No this is taken from the agreement...
Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.

Plus I did see a message from the system saying it was downloading updates. It will only ask you if it needs to restart, and you have set that as an option.
You can yourself check for and install updates, but this is nothing to do with the main system. This applies to the Home version only. The Pro and others do have choices. But if you were not on them to start you have to pay for it.

This is one of the fears of the system, since in the past some of the Microsoft updates were known to be faulty when first issued, sufficient to crash the system. If we get one of these now it WILL crash the system and there is nothing you can do about it.

I was watching it today and the desktop icons kept flashing in and out as if something was messing with the system and refreshing the screen. I don't know what it was, as I was only looking at the start menu :roll:
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:21 pm

If you have changed your mind about installing Windows 10 and still have the Windows 10 icon on your taskbar here's how to get rid of it. Especially as if you have get the update notice - it wants to download and install it and doesn't wait to ask permission to do so. For example this morning I started my computer up and left it to settle down, while I cleaned my teeth. When I got back it was in the process of downloading 10!
So to stop it...
Go to Windows update and search for update KB3035583. When you have found it right click to un-install it.
You then need to restart you computer. The icon should have gone. Then go back to Windows Update. If the Windows 10 upgrade update is there, it might be trying to install it! Cancel the update if it is then select the update and click "hide".
This should stop the update appearing again.
This hide thing is useful if you get an update that you don't need, because you don't use the thing anymore, or an annoying one that will fail to install no matter how many times you try.
Last edited by Graham76man on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham76man
Manager

Return to Internet & Technology