Windows 10

Postby Noahh » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:55 pm

Still haven't gotten the notification that my download is ready. It's taking so long. :(
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby Magnus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:56 pm

Graham wrote:Go to Windows update and search for update KB3035583. When you have found it right click to install it.
You meant "right click to uninstall it" I assume. I already did this after searching for how to get rid of it, and haven't seen the dreaded icon since.
Magnus
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Magnus wrote:
Graham wrote:Go to Windows update and search for update KB3035583. When you have found it right click to install it.
You meant "right click to uninstall it" I assume. I already did this after searching for how to get rid of it, and haven't seen the dreaded icon since.
Correct :oops: Sorry :wink:
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Shorty » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:53 am

I got my notification to reserve my upgrade but I'm not sure whether I want to upgrade or not. It says my laptop is compatible though, surprising considering how slow it can be :lol:

When you reserve your upgrade, how long does it usually take to actually let you download it?
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby Noahh » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:19 am

Shorty wrote:I got my notification to reserve my upgrade but I'm not sure whether I want to upgrade or not. It says my laptop is compatible though, surprising considering how slow it can be :lol:

When you reserve your upgrade, how long does it usually take to actually let you download it?
It could take up to a few weeks.
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby Graham76man » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:09 pm

Shorty wrote:I got my notification to reserve my upgrade but I'm not sure whether I want to upgrade or not. It says my laptop is compatible though, surprising considering how slow it can be :lol:

If it's running Windows 8 then all you will really notice is that the feature that used to appear on the right of the screen has gone (charms bar?). When I did my laptop from Windows 7, I have noticed that Windows 10 does boot up faster. Some say the thing is faster to open things, but with my laptop having one of those metal plate things for the mouse, I didn't see that aspect.

If anyone reading this hasn't had their upgrade and is going to take the risk, when it installs it for the first time it asks you if you want to let information be passed on to Microsoft. It will give you a load of questions and the option to switch them off. Many people are suggesting that you should switch them all off. There are even some video's on YouTube now which claim that Microsoft can pass details it can collect from your computer to third parties. Governments are very keen on this sort of information as they ask for it for claims on Social Security and Tax reasons. Though some of these concerns might be unfounded, it does state in the Microsoft agreements that details can be passed on. Cortana for example needs to collect a great deal of personal information about you to do it's job. Apart from these videos the vast majority of videos praise Windows 10, especially for gaming.

Shorty I would still say that you should give Windows 10 a try. Many people are happy with Windows 10, some have had a few problems with it, like me. However I did try it out first.
If you don't like it, or you can't sort out any problems, you have one month to restore your computer back to before Windows 10 was installed.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Shorty » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:29 am

So I upgraded. It took FOREVER though :lol:

I like the look of it, and I actually think it's faster than 8.1. Things aren't freezing as much as they used to, which is nice :D So far so good.
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby Graham76man » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:40 am

If you are not upgrading to Windows 10, be careful of some optional updates sent out by Microsoft recently. Numbers KB3080149 and KB3075249.
These might enable Microsoft to change the settings to make Windows 7 updates none optional like Windows 10. They do supply Microsoft servers access to information on your computer anyway.
Some sticking to Windows 7 users think you should only install "essential" windows 7 updates only and hide (otherwise they keep being downloaded) optional ones. Except of course for things like drivers to known software, which crop up as optional updates.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:01 am

I like it. It sped up my computer like crazy. I had Windows 7.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Shorty » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:39 pm

Yeah, I LOVE Windows 10! It's made my laptop so much faster! 8.1 was a total memory and RAM hog, this has sped it up considerably. I was actually going to buy a new laptop soon cos of the slowness, but I think I'll hold off for a bit now cos it's much quicker now!

One annoying thing is that it keeps defaulting my volume to 42%, and when you try to change it, it yells at you and you have to click allow to change your own damn volume. I have external speakers that I use, so I control the volume with those, so I always have my laptop volume turned up to 100. Microsoft, I don't need you trying to control my volume :lol:
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby Graham76man » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:05 pm

If like me you don't want the Windows 10 VIRUS SPYWARE infecting your computer. Then you are in for a battle with Microsoft, who seem to think you should have it anyway just in case!
The first thing they do is keep sending out the Windows 10 updates. This can make your computer start to download Windows 10 every time you update Windows 7 or 8.
So you must delete and hide all the KB jobs that cause Windows 10 to appear. Also beware of updates that talk about Telementry if you look them up. Don't download and hide them!
However there is one NASTY KB job you should NOT download at all. If you have it installed, get shut of it!
It might not be easy :(
But just in case I think I have found the way to get shut of the KB2952664. THE NASTY UPDATE. This one users are reporting that it will not go even if you delete it using the installed update of Windows. It will go into the motions of removing it then tell you to restart. When you have done that and do another search under installed update it turns up again installed on the same day you had just removed it!
So to get shut of it...
What you do is go to my computer. Select drive C then right click on it. This will bring up the properties. Now select "disc clean up". It will then calculate this for a while and produce a list of things to get shut off. However you don't want this. But on the new window with the files is another option to "clean up system files". Click that. It will calculate for a while and another window like the first one appears. You only need to select the Windows Update option, by ticking it. If any other option is ticked remove them. Then run clean up.

Go back to installed updates find KB2952664 and remove it. Then restart your computer. It might take 20 minutes or longer before it comes back on!

Incidentally on my Windows Update folder (these are back ups by the way) there was over 1GB of files!!!!

Once I had done that and searched installed updates KB2952664 could not be found!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Hugo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:44 am

Windows 10 Anniversary Update: the 10 best new features

In just a few short days, Microsoft will be celebrating Windows 10’s first birthday. It has been a busy year that has seen a number of Windows 10 updates with new features and improvements, but the biggest one is arriving on August 2nd. Microsoft’s free Anniversary Update to Windows 10 includes some highly requested features, but overall it’s full of minor additions that really make the OS feel a lot more polished. I’ve been testing Windows 10’s Anniversary Update for months now, and I’ve witnessed it progress to a point where it’s ready for the masses. Here are the 10 best new features coming to Windows.

Microsoft Edge extensions
If you’re a fan of Chrome extensions, then you’ll be glad to hear that they’re heading to Microsoft’s Edge browser. The Anniversary Update brings support for extensions, and it’s now up to third-party developers to fill the Windows Store with their add-ons. They’re very similar to Chrome extensions, and ones like AdBlock, 1Password, LastPass, and EverNote are already available.
Microsoft has also added in web notifications for Edge, allowing websites to push notifications to the Windows 10 Action Center (notification center). You can also now right-click on the back button to see history of a tab, and right-click a tab to pin it in place. Microsoft is also improving battery life with Edge, and claims it’s up to 70 percent better than some competitors. Overall, Edge still has some odd rendering quirks that makes it feel unfinished, but Microsoft is getting closer to providing a browser on Windows that could convince many to switch from Chrome.

read more: http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269 ... res-review
This is so great, I can finally start using the Edge browser!
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Graham76man » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:24 am

Windows 10 was free. The popular computing press and media told everyone on Windows 7 and 8 to change to it! Microsoft sent updates that would turn your computer into a windows 10 machine.

So what is the current state of windows 10? Is it on 70% of computers out there that could have converted to it? NO! What more than 70%? NO! 50%? No!

Well how many? The best estimate is 19% :o

Is Windows 10 a success then?
Clearly not. It's no longer free too. Yet in three years support for Windows 7 will end.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Hugo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:02 pm

I've had to ditch Chrome in favour of Edge. It was constantly crashing with the new builds (Microsoft doing?). Anyway I don't really mind as Edge already has ad blockers available. But I wish it was a little bit faster.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:17 pm

FIXED IT

All I had to do was: Chrome Settings >>> System >>> (Disable) Use hardware acceleration when available

It was that simple and I don't even know what that does.

I couldn't possibly deal with Edge or Firefox another day. lol
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Return to Internet & Technology