Google (Pixel 2)

Postby Hugo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:37 am

HTC Nexus 9: First leaked image emerges

After months of rumors and leaks, we're now witnessing the first leaked images of what may be the upcoming Nexus 9. The image, leaked by @upleaks, features the Nexus branding as well as an HTC logo at the bottom and what appears to be a more squarish form factor than most Android slates.

In the top left there's a rear camera with LED flash, along with a couple of extra notches of unknown function. Down below is what appears to be a microUSB port. So nothing too shocking, but it lines up with what we're expecting to see from the upcoming Nexus tablet, which is likely to launch with Android L

We can also make out that the device will feature a similar matte-style finish at the back as earlier Nexus tablets. As for the internal hardware, it is rumored that the Nexus 9 will feature NVIDIA's Tegra K1 chip. Although an exact launch date hasn't been confirmed yet, the tablet is expected to make an official debut sometime later this month.

http://www.androidcentral.com/first-lea ... 9-surfaces
Last edited by Hugo on Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Guru » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:33 am

Is this a tablet or a phone? :-?
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Hugo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:37 am

preyan wrote:Is this a tablet or a phone? :-?
According to the rumours, a new phone by Motorola based on the Moto X (Nexus 6) and tablet by HTC (Nexus 9) will be released this Fall.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Guru » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:44 am

It's good to see competition is healthy out there. I've heard rave, positive, reviews about the past years Motorolla releases. Will keep am eye out for this :P
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby JimJim » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:48 am

Yes despite low market interest, Motorola phones have some good tech (batteries that last several days I hear?), so if they can get themselves branded as the Nexus 6 and it is priced anything like the Nexus 5, that will be extremely appealing to the market.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Guru » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:49 am

JimJim wrote:Yes despite low market interest, Motorola phones have some good tech (batteries that last several days I hear?), so if they can get themselves branded as the Nexus 6 and it is priced anything like the Nexus 5, that will be extremely appealing to the market.
When JimJim says YES, no one can say NO 8-)
Guru
Guru

Postby JimJim » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:26 am

:lol: :lol: 8-)
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Hugo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:30 pm

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:49 pm

evleaks outs an official Motorola Nexus 6 press photo

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Guru » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:06 am

It looks fantastic :P
Guru
Guru

Postby Hugo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:20 pm

Nexus 9, 6 and Player

The first devices designed for Android Lollipop

http://www.google.com/nexus/

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:49 pm

It looks incredible

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby lundpop » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:43 pm

That phone is just too big! It is even bigger than the iPhone 6+. What is with these companies releasing big freakin' @$$ phones? Who wants to have a metal/plastic plate slapped on one's face while talking? Also, the price is too much - 649 USD!!! What happened to the era when Nexus phones were supposed to be cheaper flagships? :roll: :roll:

Other than that, I really liked that Moto made it. Hope the next one is made by Sony and I may even get it to try it out.
Dans ce convoi de larmes
Je te dédie ma mort
Et je saigne, saigne encore...
lundpop
Manager

Postby Hugo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:06 am

lundpop wrote:That phone is just too big! It is even bigger than the iPhone 6+.
They're almost the same size.

(Nexus 6 / iPhone 6+)

Screen size 5.9in 5.5in
Resolution 2,560 x 1,440 pixels 1,920 x 1,080 pixels
Pixel density 493ppi 401ppi
Size 159.3 x 83 x 10.1mm 158.1 x 77.8 x 7.1mm
Weight 184g 172g

Plus, you'll still be able to buy the Nexus 5 (5in), which by today's standards is still a great phone and inexpensive.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby ShayLaB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:00 am

lundpop wrote:That phone is just too big! It is even bigger than the iPhone 6+. What is with these companies releasing big freakin' @$$ phones? Who wants to have a metal/plastic plate slapped on one's face while talking? Also, the price is too much - 649 USD!!! What happened to the era when Nexus phones were supposed to be cheaper flagships? :roll: :roll:

Other than that, I really liked that Moto made it. Hope the next one is made by Sony and I may even get it to try it out.
It's basically the same size (albeit a little thicker) as the iPhone 6+. The iPhone 6+ has a physical button at the bottom and a symmetrical amount of non-screen at the top. The N6 has more screen in a chassis of the same size

The price...a couple of things. The N4 (which I have) and N5 were great value phones but there were compromises in the components (camera, battery and storage being the obvious ones). They were never really top, top end devices. The N6 is different...it really is a top of range device that still manages to undercut similar devices in class (e.g. Note 4 by $150). The N6 is also the first Nexus phone being sold widely outside of Google's own direct distribution channels in key markets...it is available on all the major US networks and many retail stores. There will undoubtedly have been issues had Google issued a flag ship device so widely that vastly undercut other manufacturers equivalent devices. Google and these other companies rely on each other so they don't want to cripple those businesses.

If you don't want to pay that much but want a really good performing Android phone the OnePlus One is probably the best option. All the latest Motorola phones E, G and X represent great value for the prices ranges in which they compete.
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby Hugo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:18 am

The 16GB Nexus 9 is selling in the Portuguese Play Store for 389 euros, not a bad price at all. I'll wait until the Sand colored one is available though. What would you recommend ShayLaB, this or the Tab S?
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby ShayLaB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:15 pm

hugo wrote:The 16GB Nexus 9 is selling in the Portuguese Play Store for 389 euros, not a bad price at all. I'll wait until the Sand colored one is available though. What would you recommend ShayLaB, this or the Tab S?
My job covers phone more than tablets so I am not as familiar. Having said that here's a couple of thoughts:

- Power wise the N9 is a monster for a tablet and will be the most powerful mainstream one available. The Tab is right up there among the best of the rest.
- I dislike the Smasung TouchWiz interface...but that's just a personal thing. Others may like it.
- The N9 has a 4:3 aspect ratio - better for working on documents etc but will leave black bars for playing movies. The Tab is 16:10 so the opposite applies. It depends what you want to use your tablet for I suppose. The N9 cover with the integrated keyboard could make it close to a laptop mini if the the Google Docs suite covers your needs.
- The N9 has a 64 bit chip...one of the first Android tablets to make the move (Tab is 32 bit). Not important at this point but the entire Android hardware range will undoubtedly make the migration at some point. Increasingly (maybe not this year or next) you will start to here Google announcements along the lines of: "we have this shiny new feature available if your hardware can support it".
- I have streaming subscriptions to Netflix and Amazon Prime...I hate that neither tablet can offer the latter. (It's only supported on phones)
- The N9 will come with Lollipop...who knows when/if Samsung will update TouchWiz to support it on that particular tablet. Samsung are among the slowest manufacturers to support Android OS updates. Motorola are the about the best...in part due to the fact they are still owned by Google and partly because of the very light updates they make to 'stock' Android. I suspect you are as likely to see a Lollipop version of the Tab as an actual update.

Personally I would go for the N9 but I have always preferred the 'stock' Android.

The other thing I would point out is that £279 for an iPad Mini 2 is a really good price. The new iPad Mini 3 was presented almost as an afterthought at the Apple event the other night...probably because it is really only an incremental update.

So my choice would be either N9 or iPad Mini 2.

My house is split evenly between the two eco-systems so I have no particular favouritism...I just get what ever I think is the best fit for the person and the job. When I think about the devices I have the list it is stupid ridiculous but I do work in the technology sector so I have an excuse....sort of.
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby Hugo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks ShayLaB!! I don't really want to go back to an ipad Mini, I owned the original for quite some time and I loved the thing, but after buying my nexus 5 I just can't see myself going back to iOS. I share your opinion on the Mini 3, quite the pointless release. Nexus 9 it is.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Guru » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:38 pm

hugo wrote:Thanks ShayLaB!! I don't really want to go back to an ipad Mini, I owned the original for quite some time and I loved the thing, but after buying my nexus 5 I just can't see myself going back to iOS. I share your opinion on the Mini 3, quite the pointless release. Nexus 9 it is.
Most people I know won't be upgrading their current iPad Mini/2 because the third one is a pointless release. Steve Jobs died and took the Apple innovation with him sadly :cry:
Guru
Guru

Postby ShayLaB » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 pm

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/18245 ... -leaks.htm

N6 won't be on sale on the UK for a few weeks by the looks of it.

I might wait for this instead to get a UK release...assuming it gets a UK release.
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby oasisbobo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Always thought the Nexus was the best tablet!
oasisbobo
Legend

Postby Hugo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:10 pm

Google Now Launcher update brings Material Design tweaks to KitKat and Jelly Bean

A new update is rolling out for the Google Search app that brings a new look to the Google Now Launcher. Well, at least it is new if you’re someone running something older than Lollipop.

For those running Android 4.1 through 4.4, the latest update will bring Material Design elements to the Google Play launcher. Now before you get ahead of yourself, this doesn’t mean all MD design changes like the new navigation buttons, but there are a few changes to the aesthetics including slightly improved animations, the white app launcher button, a white color in the Google Search bar and improvements to the Google Now area of the launcher including a slide-in panel that lets you switch Google Now settings and accounts.

http://www.androidauthority.com/google- ... md-580098/
Already updated my tab s 8-)
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:25 pm

Google wants to help you customize your Project Ara device with the Ara Configurator app

Earlier today, Google held their second developer conference for Project Ara. During the keynote, the company made available the Modular Developer’s Kit v.2 which includes update framework, software and firmware for the Spiral 2 prototype device. Over the past few months, we’ve heard that Ara will be sold in an online marketplace where users will go to assemble their own Ara smartphones. During the tail end of the conference today, Google’s Jason Chua demoed the Ara Configurator app which will allow users to customize their modules, much like we’ve seen with Moto Maker.

The marketplace will make three components available: the endoskeleton, modules and external shells. Users will be eventually be able to find modules they’re fond of, and save them to their online ‘Stashes’. If you want Google to customize your phone for you, there’s an option called ‘simple phone maker’, that will one day create a device specifically tailored to your likes. Chua explains that we may be able to eventually connect the app to social networks, which will allow the Ara Configurator to analyze your social network feeds and recommend different modules to you based on your interests. And yes, you’ll also be able to customize the looks of modules themselves by adding custom images or colors to them. I think we can all agree that a Moto Maker-style website is the best way to sell modules for Ara.

If those updates weren’t enough for the Project so far, Google has also released a new promotional video showing what the final product may look like. Take a look below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=intua_p4kE0
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Merci » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:29 am

Google Translate app update adds Word Lens

Google has announced a significant update to its Translate app for mobile users. The updated app gets several new features for Android and iOS users including a feature called Word Lens. Word Lens is really cool because it allows users to take a picture of text and get a translation for the text in 36 languages. That means if you are in a foreign city, you can do things like snap pictures of street signs and see what they mean.

Google has also made it easier to speak to someone and get translations. You can now tap the mic to start speaking in a selected language and tap it again to get Translate to recognize the languages being spoken. These updates will go a long way towards helping users get along in foreign lands and speak to people when needed even if you don’t know the language.
I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby Rihab » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:07 pm

That word lens thing might be their first useful invention since... Google.
Rihab
Legend

Return to Internet & Technology