Nintendo Switch

Postby JimJim » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:29 am

Vooks wrote:Today during a press conference to announce a partnership with mobile game developer DeNA, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata dropped also announced that Nintendo is working on its next dedicated console codename NX. This console will have a ‘brand new concept’.

The announcement of the codename was an aside to the bigger news from today but Satoru Iwata said more would be revealed about the NX in 2016. They did not say whether this would be a home console or another portable console.

As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename “NX.” It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year. – Satoru Iwata
Vooks wrote:Nintendo does not see the mobile as a place for its traditional games with traditional controls. If Nintendo were to port games to smart devices they believe it would devalue their IP.

"As for which Nintendo IP will be used, we do not intend to make any exceptions. Potentially, any Nintendo IP could be used in our smart device software. On the other hand, as I just said, games on smart devices require ever-evolving services rather than just being a finished product. A combined effort will be necessary to operate them. People’s attention would only be dispersed if we simply increased the number of the titles we simultaneously released, and we could not expect to expand our business. Accordingly, we will narrow down the titles for development and operation to some extent.

Please also note that, even if we use the same IP on our dedicated video game systems and smart devices, we will not port the titles for the former to the latter just as they are. There are significant differences in the controls, strengths and weaknesses between the controllers for dedicated game systems and the touchscreens of smart devices. We have no intention at all to port existing game titles for dedicated game platforms to smart devices because if we cannot provide our consumers with the best possible play experiences, it would just ruin the value of Nintendo’s IP.

And, if I can talk a bit further about our game development plan, we will continue doing our best to develop dedicated game titles for our dedicated game hardware platforms just as we have been doing. For smart devices, even in the case where we utilize the same IP, we will create completely new game software that will perfectly match the play styles of smart devices."

So Nintendo’s made it quite obvious they’re not porting anything, so what would like to see Nintendo make for smart devices? Which licence could work best on phones and tablets?
Sauce: http://www.vooks.net
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Damiennatas1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:20 am

Could be anything. The 3DS will nearly be at the end of its life cycle at that stage. Whereas the Wii U is still considered this gens Nintendo console, it's already at the end of its life cycle.

Intrigued.
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby Erotica » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:43 am

No, I don't want something new again :( hate to always buy new consoles and so on
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Merci » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:45 am

Hopefully no gimmicks this time.. yeah right
watch them sell levels individually with the amiibos smh

I have a feeling it will be a mix between a home console and a handheld, I wouldn't mind that
Last edited by Merci on Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby truthless » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:46 am

They didn't announce a new console. It's just that they are trying something new. As far as I understood, it's basically about creating games for smartphones only. But it does not have anything to do with a new console. Not sure myself though.

But you never know. It might be actually a new console. Giving the fact that the Wii U disappointed on all fronts.. It would suck for me, because then I would need to sell my Wii U.
truthless
Once in a lifetime

Postby Merci » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:48 am

^ no they did

Actually, they announced it to prove that they won't abandon consoles for mobile

Iwata wrote:As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename "NX". It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year.
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby truthless » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:53 am

Alright thanks. Interesting...

I hope they WILL catch up to the PS4 regarding graphics. Imagine a Mario Kart in FULL HD 1080p with Anti-Aliasing. I would literally die. There's no excuse anymore for the outdated graphics (Although the Wii U was a big step!!! Still lovin' the Mario Kart 8 graphics).

They need to come up with something big. I would even consider to trash the Gamepad... Make it available as a stand alone controller just like the Pro Controller. That would be good. So people aren't forced to use that.

Also it's time to freaking leave the Wii past behind. Enough with that. People seriously ask me, why I got the Wii console... And they don't understand thats it's a totally different console.
truthless
Once in a lifetime

Postby Erotica » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:55 am

I hope the gamepad won't be necessary anymore too, never was a fan of it and am always annoyed when you need it. So I preferred the Wii over the Wii U
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JimJim » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:33 am

The marketing of the Wii U was absolutely atrocious, it's years later and people still don't know what it is when I mention it, or they don't realise it's not the same as a Wii. There was zero public awareness, I never even saw an ad for it.

I believe the NX relates to creating some sort of Nintendo account/portal that operates across handheld. home console and mobile - you'd have a single log-in account that operates across the three. Although they confirmed (I think it's in the OP) that their mobile content will not be the same as their offerings for consoles.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Michiel » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:39 pm

I think the Wii U is better than the Wii as far as gameplay go. The problem with the wii for me (besides the graphics) was the fact that the remotes were annoying. Grabbing on Smash brothers was too hard, the buttons are too far away or annoying to reach + the motion sensor doesn't work properly all the time and it kinda ruins the gameplay of some games. I never ended Skywalker simply because it was super annoying to play or maybe I didn't take enough time to understand it... who knows. I'm glad you can chose it yourself on the Wii U and although the screen on the gamepad is unneccesary (well the TV screen looks much cleaner because of it on some games), the gameplay with it and the other new controller is so much better. I think the Wii u is an excellent controller, also the graphics are more than enough for me for now. The huge problem is the lack of good material though... there are simply not enough good games to play. It has so many possibilities though... but yeah I guess they need to improve their graphics to suck more diverse games in their system.
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby Merci » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:18 pm

the Wii U is miles better than the wii, the wiimote is trash and ruined so many games
the wii had a really good catalogue, though, but most of the games were unplayable/unenjoyable because of the wiimote
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby Michiel » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:10 pm

^So true.
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby Damiennatas1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:53 pm

The thoughts of actually getting the wiimote, the nunchuck, stay an appropriate distance from my TV and think of all that aiming bothers me to the point where I don't play Wii games any more. Call me lazy but the Wii U concept is miles better.. All it needs is some games now.
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby naughtynae » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:14 am

Agree with the above. I think when the game got it right wii u gamepad was fantastic.
naughtynae
Legend

Postby JimJim » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:59 am

Coming to a Samsung/HTC/LG near you?

Japanese news source the Nikkei are at it again with another rumour about Nintendo and the NX. Nikkei rumours are often reliable but they can also be completely wrong, none the less here it is.

The Nikkei today posted a editorial about Nintendo’s relationship with DeNA, the company helping Nintendo get mobile and have a all encompassing account system. The paper claims to have a source inside Nintendo that says the NX, the codename for Nintendo’s next platform will run Google’s Android operating system.

They believe that Nintendo has had a ‘paradigm shift’ in its philosophy since the failure of the Wii U to attract third parties. Nintendo previously have developed their own software and hardware concepts but are allegegly now prepared to embrace a more open platform with Android. This will allow developers to make content that can appear on the console, tablets and smart phones.

We don’t usually report on rumours at Vooks unless we’re certain they’re going to be true, the Nikkei is a big source for this kind of news and we think it warrants reporting. Whether or not this pans out only time will tell.
Sauce: http://www.vooks.net/nikkei-rumour-nint ... ng-system/
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Merci » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:35 pm

apparently this is the nx controller prototype

touch = trash
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby Storyteller » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:37 pm

eww :-?
Storyteller
Cowboy Casanova

Postby Damiennatas1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:09 pm

They really need to move on with the gimmicks. They're slowing the whole industry down finding actual improvements in gaming.
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby randomness » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:04 am

Stewie Griffin?
Stand wipers unite!
randomness
Manager

Postby Damiennatas1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:13 am

As Helga would say - 'Football head!'
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby Merci » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:33 am

some say that the buttons generate based on the game, they'll use this technology

Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby Damiennatas1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:56 am

Now that would be cool!
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby MrRager » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:06 pm

Bring back the Joypad and 16-bit graphics!
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Airwrecka » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:03 pm

I feel like they've lost all direction tbh.
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby JimJim » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:34 pm

This has potential, at least they try to be innovative, whereas Microsoft & Sony just improve the graphics and engines each generation.

I'm certainly interested, the Wii U actually had a lot of potential to be used in innovative ways like displayed in NintendoLand, unfortunately terrible marketing, awareness and third party abandonment meant that was never to be.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Return to Internet & Technology