Apple Music & Beats 1

Postby Thriller » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:30 pm

Apple's "one more thing" announcement at WWDC 2015 did not really come as a surprise.

"Today we're announcing Apple Music. It's going to change the way you experience music," said the company's CEO Tim Cook. Remarkably, the service will not only launch on iOS later this month, but will be available on Android from the autumn. The service will also be free for the first three months.

Apple Music will bring together your iTunes library with tens of millions of tracks that you can either stream, or listen to offline. Apple is attempting to curate your music experience by providing intuitive, personalised playlisting features. Like Spotify, it is using expert curators to create playlists you'll want to listen to.

As part of Apple Music, the company is launching Beats 1, a 24-hour global radio station that will be run by three DJs from three different cities around the world. This includes former Radio One DJ, Zane Lowe, who will run the station from LA.

At the heart of Apple Music is "Connect", which allows musicians to express themselves and communicate with fans in whatever way they choose. This can be by posting latest tracks, behind-the-scenes photos, in-progress lyrics or a new remix.

Both established and unsigned artists will be able to share their content this way.
"Apple is arriving late to the music streaming business, due in part to Steve Jobs' refusal to believe that music subscription services would ever work," says James McQuivey of Forrester.

Despite this, he does believe it could potentially beat the likes of Spotify -- "not because its service will be any better, but because it can build its new music service into the hundreds of millions of devices that its loyal Apple users already love". He adds that Apple could catch up with Spotify's paid subscriber base within a year.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:33 pm

I like the idea of having everything in one place, at the moment I sit between iTunes and Spotify and use them concurrently but it'd be really good to have a service where everything is contained in one place - all they need to do now is somehow rival YouTube for music videos and Apple would have it sewn up.

The radio station doesn't sound my cup of tea if Zane Lowe is the anchor.
Thriller

Postby Formusic » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:45 pm

Apple Streaming Music Service Launches June 30th At $9.99 A Month, $14.99 Family Plan

One of Apple’s biggest announcements at this year’s WWDC event was its brand new streaming music service. The offering has long been rumored, but Apple made it official this morning, setting the stage for the biggest player in digital music sales to also become the biggest player in online streaming music. Apple Music will eventually hit Android, too.

The Apple Music offering puts Apple in direct competition with existing services like Spotify and Rdio, offering a large catalog of on-demand tracks to users for a monthly subscription price of $9.99. The service comes with a 3-month free trial, too, meaning users can take it for a test ride before committing to it full-time.

Apple’s new service looks like it will offer some big advantages over other options, including native integration with the iOS music app itself. It features curated playlists, too, as well as special collections curated by top artists.

The service will include a live DJ service called Beats 1 with DJs stationed in NYC, London and LA.

Apple built all the functions into the Apple Music iOS 9 app meaning Apple Music has a substantial advantage over others in the media streaming space. It comes with every iPhone.

The new Apple Music service also includes the ability for listeners to connect with artists. Called Connect, the service pulls in all the social media content — from Facebook to Twitter to Instagram — into one portal.

Apple Music launches on June 30th and will cost $9.99 a month for a single user. A family pass with six users will cost $14.99. Initially, the full feature set will only be available on iOS, OS X and Windows computers. The service will hit Apple TV and Android phones in the fall of 2015.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/08/apple- ... b3w6t:kAYB
The yuppies networking, the panic, the vomit, the panic, the vomit, God loves his children, God loves his children...yeah.
Formusic
Manager

Postby MusicJunk90 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:53 pm

I'll definitely be making the switch from Spotify, not before trialling first of course. Sounds really appealing though...Everything that Spotify has with a lot more for essentially the same price or even cheaper with family plans.
MusicJunk90
Personal Assistant

Postby Serby » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:10 pm

they aint playing! sounds like a smash, but i hate apple, so i hope it flops lol
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Formusic » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:13 pm

The android version is some sort of game changer. The only difference with Spotify is that there s no free service but that factor makes people use Spotify though.
The yuppies networking, the panic, the vomit, the panic, the vomit, God loves his children, God loves his children...yeah.
Formusic
Manager

Postby menime123 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:23 pm

Not really sure it has an advantage over competition yet. They haven't really told us yet why people should switch from Spotify - because it's Apple?
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby stevyy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:28 pm

Serby wrote:they aint playing! sounds like a smash, but i hate apple, so i hope it flops lol
this..

they usually deliver quality (in everything).. but a) i'm a windows guy, b) i'm an amazon guy and c) i'm too uncool to be using Apple.. + everyone loves it..which makes me automatically hate it. :cry:

I might be bi-polar in that respect.
stevyy
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Yaah...more streaming. :roll:

Meh good for them. idc...I'll stick to my downloading.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Madgefan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:12 pm

I'm on Spotify currently but I am definitely interested to see what this is like.
It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is
Madgefan
Superstar

Postby jrnleblanc » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:55 pm

If this becomes a massive success I expect album and single sales will start to drop drastically. Apple apparently is aiming for 100 million subscribers. :o
jrnleblanc
Manager

Postby SholasBoy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:19 pm

Are they not worried about Tidal giving us a new revolution though??
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Thriller » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:33 pm

:lol:

All those stars at the TIDAL launch will be wishing they'd not picked up Jay-Z's call now.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:35 pm

jrnleblanc wrote:If this becomes a massive success I expect album and single sales will start to drop drastically. Apple apparently is aiming for 100 million subscribers. :o
I was thinking about that, if streaming is available inside iTunes it'll probably deter people from buying the individual tracks and we'll see a lot more bite the bullet and buy a subscription. For the same price as ten downloads it's a no brainer.
Thriller

Postby stevyy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:58 am

Thriller wrote::lol:

All those stars at the TIDAL launch will be wishing they'd not picked up Jay-Z's call now.
poor Tidal (aka we saved the world y'all), i seriously begin to show some pity for them. Apple will scalp them.
stevyy
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:53 am

SholasBoy wrote:Are they not worried about Tidal giving us a new revolution though??
Pretty sure they are shacking in their bootz due to Tidal "exclusives". The slayage is imfathomable.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby urbanmusik » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:02 am

The Beats1 radio station sounds cool. I'm down for the 3 month trial, but if they don't get PS4 support I'll stick with Spotify. Incorporating play counts with streaming would tempt me though.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby NoAngel » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:45 am

Nothing impressive so far. Even the whole iTunes catalogue won't be available and the announced features so far don't seem strong enough to move from existing services. Family pricing is tempting though, but there are rumors Spotify will announce similar plan very soon. I think this is turning to new iTunes Radio.
B. get off my pole!
NoAngel
Superstar

Postby Rihab » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:15 am

stevyy wrote:

poor Tidal (aka we saved the world y'all), i seriously begin to show some pity for them. Apple will scalp them.
I can see Apple buying them up and integrating TIDAL into their service. They'd get all the exclusives (which they previously paid a lot of money for) and could offer lossless streaming for $19,00.
Rihab
Legend

Postby SpyVsSpy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:03 pm

Rihab95 wrote:
stevyy wrote:

I can see Apple buying them up and integrating TIDAL into their service. They'd get all the exclusives (which they previously paid a lot of money for) and could offer lossless streaming for $19,00.
There is no need for them to buy over tidal. Apple can do those things at the flick of a switch.
SpyVsSpy
Superstar

Postby jszmiles » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:04 pm

good to see it will be available on Android as well. but 10$ is more than Spotify's offer I suppose.
jszmiles
Legend

Postby menime123 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:43 pm

Do they offer offline play too? I won't even consider switching if they don't.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:46 pm

I seriously wonder if all he anti-streaming people here also have the same sort of problem with Netflix and Hulu.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Perzy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:07 pm

This is gonna be huge.

The artists who were asked to collaborate with Apple Music but chose Tidal instead are probably going to hit their heads against the wall pretty soon (if they haven't already done it).

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/ ... reeper.gif
Perzy
Manager

Postby Perzy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:25 pm

Gaga has joined Apple Music.

@ladygaga: So happy for Tim, Jimmy and everyone at @AppleMusic + Beats1. I'm excited to be a part of it.

https://twitter.com/ladygaga/status/608297423534891008
Perzy
Manager

Return to Internet & Technology