Apple Music & Beats 1

Postby JeyBeMust » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:36 pm

Rihab wrote:
Thanks. But what does 'marketshare' mean in this case? Paid subscribers (a family of 4 = 1 subscriber)? Premium users (a family of 4 = 4 users)? Or tracks streamed?
In this case, they analyze the Top 25k streamed songs at each of the five services and determines the weight everyone of them has in the industry. For example, based on that research, If 'Despacito' had 1,000,000 streams last week (not real numbers, of course), then 620,000 streams comes from Spotify, 250,000 from Apple Music, 80,000 from Amazon and so on.

Every user has a different value. Spotify stated that paid subscribers are responsible of 70% of their daily streams. Also, Apple Music subscribers are the most active as we saw during many Apple Music exclusives.

When a platform says "paid subscribers" they don't disclose If its an individual subscriber or a family plan with 6 possible members. I would love to know that info and also how many daily streams have other services, they should make a public update everyday like Spotify does.
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby KokoCollino » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:40 pm

^ I don't think they will until they reached Spotify's heights because they don't wanna be exposed

Apple Music is only doing it when it's an album that's performing better there than on Spotify. So mostly the urban ones
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby JeyBeMust » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:11 pm

KokoCollino wrote:^ I don't think they will until they reached Spotify's heights because they don't wanna be exposed

Apple Music is only doing it when it's an album that's performing better there than on Spotify. So mostly the urban ones
I agree. They don't want to look smaller than Spotify. But it's a pity for us, we won't be able to estimate real performances without them. :roll:
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby JeyBeMust » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:36 pm

Apple Music helps on-demand audio streaming hit record high, up 62%

"iTunes may be struggling a little when it comes to video content, but Apple Music has helped U.S. audio streaming hit a record high of 7.5B weekly streams. The stat was achieved in March, according to Nielsen’s mid-year report on the music industry …

Nielsen reports that on-demand audio streaming climbed 62.4% year-on-year.

For the first six months of the year, there have been 184.3 billion on-demand audio streams – a 62% increase over the same period in 2016."

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2017/07/10/apple-music-nielsen/
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:40 pm

I made a summer 2017 playlist with my fave songs on Apple Music.
It said I could share, does it work?

'SUMMER 2017'
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Rihab » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:17 pm

Benjamin wrote:I made a summer 2017 playlist with my fave songs on Apple Music.

'SUMMER 2017'
Yup! 8-)

Me likey.
Rihab
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:41 am

Rihab wrote:
Benjamin wrote:I made a summer 2017 playlist with my fave songs on Apple Music.

'SUMMER 2017'
Yup! 8-)

Me likey.
Funny because I made it in iTunes, haha. Wasn't sure if it would work.
Thanks <3
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby ludichris » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:05 am

So I jumped ship from Spotify to Apple Music yesterday and I'm loving it so far. The slightly larger song catalogue and the fact you can get an individual annual membership for £99 instead of paying £9.99 a month is what persuaded me. Paying annually gives you 12 months for the price of 10.

I've already rediscovered tons of forgotten album tracks thanks to the 'create station' function when you play a song. 8-)
ludichris
Manager

Postby JeyBeMust » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:47 pm

If you want to support your fave use Apple Music 8-)

Apple Music: $13/1,000 streams
Spotify: $7/1,000 streams
YouTube: $1/1,000 streams
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby Rihab » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:59 am

Apple being the most generous company in the streaming business. What a plot twist. :lol: :lol:
Rihab
Legend

Postby ludichris » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:48 am

^ Another reason I made the switch to Apple Music for. I think the only way for Spotify to increase their payments would be to end the free service, although that would be very controversial.
ludichris
Manager

Postby KokoCollino » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:25 am

We'll that stat is no surprise. But it doesn't make any sense to display it without taking into consideration how much Spotify pays out in total. There are studies that show that free users are converted to premium users. Also: free streams > pirate downloads.

And in the end: The services do not pay out to musicians. They pay out to the right holders (the labels and publishers). If the labels have unfair contracts with their artists and take most of the cash, it's not Spotify's fault.

I'm happy though that there is Apple Music and Amazon Music as competition is important. But I'm also happy there is Spotify that show the big A companies Apple, Amazon and Alphabet how it's done in the first place.
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby JeyBeMust » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:39 am

APPLE MUSIC: GETTING SOCIAL, AND SIRI ON THE WHEELS

"In the next iteration, users will be able to create an Apple Music profile to share recently played tracks, albums, playlists, and musical tastes with friends. In iOS 11, Siri becomes a DJ and uses your taste if you tell it “play something I like.”"

Source: http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=308344
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby JeyBeMust » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:03 pm

Apple Music hits 30M paid subscribers

"Apple Music continues to grow, Billboard reporting that it has now hit 30M paid subscribers – up from 27M in June. But Jimmy Iovine, who heads up the service, thinks what Apple is offering to subscribers isn’t yet good enough.

Lovine told Billboard that he thinks the service is heading in the right direction, but that all streaming music services need to do more to ensure their future."

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/28/apple-mu ... rs-future/
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby Rihab » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Can‘t wait to use the new social feature. :D

Anyone knows if it‘s coming to the Android app, too? (I‘m asking for a friend.) :lol:
Rihab
Legend

Postby JeyBeMust » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:31 pm

Billboard Magazine Won’t Add YouTube Views Into Its Album Charts

"Under pressure from the music labels and Apple Music, Billboard magazine is ending its practice of giving equal weight to paid streams and free streams in its music charts."

"Jimmy Iovine, who is head of Apple Music, has been arguing against YouTube growing its influence.

He told NBC News that artists say they work with YouTube to promote their records because it currently counts the same as a paid stream. “How can the record industry let that go down? It is not in their interest to promote a free tier.” He also described YouTube as “fake news,” meaning that its traffic is open to manipulation.

Iovine said he’s been in discussion with Billboard on the topic and says the music industry should be all pulling in the same direction, supporting ways of getting artists paid.

The music labels receive a much bigger cut from paid streaming services than they do from YouTube’s advertising. Independent labels have also been agitating for change."

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/mus ... ts-n812331
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Postby JeyBeMust » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:33 pm

Finally this YouTube nonsense will end for good. It's unfair that free streams have the same value for the charts than Apple Music or Spotify Premium. Also, YouTube pays just a few bucks when Apple Music is paying exactly x10 and Spotify x5.

Apple Music: $0.013/stream
Spotify: $0.0057/stream
YouTube: $0.001/stream :roll:
JeyBeMust
Superstar

Return to Internet & Technology