Final Fantasy series

Favourite FF game?

FF1 (original or Playstation re-release)
No votes
FF2 (original or Playstation re-release)
3%
FF3 (Japanese release only, I think)
No votes
FF4 (original or Playstation re-release)
No votes
FF5 (original or Playstation re-release)
No votes
FF6 (original or Playstation re-release)
3%
FF7
28%
FF8
19%
FF9
19%
FF10
19%
FFX-2
9%
Crystal Chronicles
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 32

Postby John » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:03 pm

I know a couple of people on here are fans of the Final Fantasy series (though one of them was Liberty and he seems to have vanished), so we might as well have a topic on it. 8-)

As we know, I'm a massive fan (almost to the point of weirdness :lol: ), so I could ramble at length here, but we might as well start off with a poll for favourites and go from there.

My favourite is hard to choose, but it's definitely between 8 and 9. The storylines are fantastic and the games are so different, but I think 8 just has the edge.
This post is highly unlikely to be serious. Please treat it accordingly. Unless it's music-related, in which case I'm damn well right.
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby Tiger » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:08 pm

Wow John I like you more know :o NO ONE likes Final Fantasy 8, but it's my faaave! (And I too am a huge fan btw, I played all of them at least twice :lol: ). I also love Final Fantasy X-2 cause I really love female characters and that's all there is there, PLUS my favourite part of the FF series is.... costumes! Which of course FFX-2 has, along with 5 which is the only reason I like 5 :lol:

Shall I ramble on more?
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby John » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:20 pm

Woo! :lol:

It seems that FF7 is most people's favourite, but I never really got into it.

I've played all of the British releases except one, but I haven't actually completed any of them. I don't know why, but I always get to the stage where you're free to roam the entire world doing all the side quests... but when I get back to doing the proper quest, I forget where I was up to and have to start the whole game again. :oops:

X-2 remains the only one that I haven't played. My brother borrowed a copy of it, but had to take it back before I got a chance to play it. Needless to say, I'll be getting myself a copy as soon as finances allow.

And yes, definitely ramble on more! :wink:
This post is highly unlikely to be serious. Please treat it accordingly. Unless it's music-related, in which case I'm damn well right.
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby Tiger » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:25 pm

I've never finished a single Final Fantasy game :oops: Just when you're about to beat the final boss I get tired of it and leave it. Then I forget where I was and can't be bothered to start all over. I do come back after like a year or two though :lol:

When there's all the sidequests and shit, I usually go to a walkthrough and complete the easy ones, I can't be arsed to hunt down chocobos or help people find their cat :roll:

My CHART
Tiger

Postby John » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:36 pm

I love the chocobo side quests! :lol:

Particularly on FF9, I spend literally hours at a time doing those. It's so much fun, digging for items in a forest, lagoon or sky garden. It gets to a certain point where your 'beak level' is so high that you can dig up pretty much anything in one strike. When you've got a gold chocobo, it's really quick to strike too.

The other thing I love about FF8 and 9 is the cards. I prefer the FF9 system, but it's good fun collecting them all in both games.

Later on, I'll dig out all of my Final Fantasy stuff and take a photo of it. Though that may be a bit difficult because one of the t-shirts is in the wash.

Yes, I'm a geek. :oops:
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby John » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:32 pm

Oh, and another thing... Kingdom Hearts.

Do you think it should be considered a part of the Final Fantasy series, or left as its own thing?

For anyone that hasn't played it... it's a collaboration between Disney and Squaresoft and features loads of Disney and Final Fantasy characters.

I think it should be considered part of the series, given the FF-style gameplay... but maybe that's just me.

I hasten to add, I wouldn't have played this had it not been for the fact that my brother bought it. I'm kinda glad he did now, it's an entertaining little game.

I'm way too close to my posting limit to carry on waffling at this rate. :lol:
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby Tiger » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:52 pm

Awww but who shall I ramble on about FF to :lol: Kingdom Hearts is very original first of all in my eyes, because who could think of putting FF together with Disney :o And... a huge key :lol:

Not one of my favourite games if I have to admit it but it's nice enough

My CHART
Tiger

Postby John » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:55 pm

Tiger wrote:Awww but who shall I ramble on about FF to :lol:
Me. :wink: I've got 20 or so week-old posts expiring before midnight, so I'll be able to ramble away.

Oh, and I'm sure I remember Phil mentioning that he was a fan as well.
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby lil_maxie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:03 am

I'm the same, start them,and never finish,at the moment i'm stuck onfinal fantasy 10..need to beat Dark Anima to make her my aeon,but its way too powerful.. i could explore the world and level up,but i read a hint somewhere that your hp has to be at least 20'000 :o i'm no-where near,so kinda lost interest.But love the magical world of final fantasy! :D
lil_maxie
Groupie

Postby John » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:30 am

Wow, now this is one old topic I'm glad to see returning...

I so can't do Final Fantasy 10. :lol: I've got to a point at which, everywhere I go there's a sodding great big dark aeon ready to squash me like a fly.

Bring on FF12, I say... (27th May, by the way.)
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby Tiger » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:35 pm

Yes! Waiting for FFXII!! *patience* That point in FFX is tough! I got almost to the end but then quit :lol: I think they woulda killed me

My CHART
Tiger

Postby Plym » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:31 pm

My fave is FFVI but I've not played them in ages!
Plym
Take Care

Postby skeggy553 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:58 pm

god its like nobody like FF8 but it was definitely my favorite.
....but all that happened after the cow exploded
skeggy553
Personal Assistant

Postby darkhorse_86 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:08 pm

I've played ff7 - ff9.

I'd liked ff7's storyline the best. ff8's love story almost made me cry and ff9 was an all-rounded solid game.

If I have to settle for the best, it'll be between ff7 and ff8. I think it'll be ff7 for me because it is so breathtaking!
darkhorse_86
Personal Assistant

Postby John » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:24 pm

The thing is with FF7... maybe I didn't play it for long enough, because I just didn't get the storyline at all.

The fact that I didn't particularly go for it never actually stopped me buying a copy (I'm a bit of a geek like that, gotta have them all) so I might play it a bit over the weekend to see if I can get into it.

But yeah, it's the love story in FF8 that gets me too... also I guess there's quite a bit in it that I can really relate to - or at least, could relate to at the time. Not only that though, I still find the side-quests fascinating - particularly the cards, and surely everyone loves the chocobos... though I gotta admit my favourite chocobo quests were in FF9, I dread to think how many hours I've wasted on those.

I might be wearing a FF8 t-shirt right now... :oops: Um, yeah, I'm obsessed.

This is a topic that I can talk about at any time, for any length of time. People I know in real life have learned not to get me started on the subject because it's hard to get me off it. But... well, I guess it's good that I can talk at length about it on here because you can just ignore it if I'm starting to bore you. :lol:
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby darkhorse_86 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:04 pm

haha no worries. FF7's storyline is a bit complicated, but then again i think it's the best among the three. I can talk about FF all day too, if i remember everything that I played during my childhood. Actually it's been a long time since i played those (abt 8 yrs since FF7 and 6 yrs since FF8 and FF9, i think)
darkhorse_86
Personal Assistant

Postby John » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:15 pm

My girlfriend thinks my FF obsession is sad. :lol:

(To be fair, she's right...)

But... well, I think I might be a bit old for Playstation-related fascinations really.
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby darkhorse_86 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:33 am

it's a healthy obssesion i would think
darkhorse_86
Personal Assistant

Postby John » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:14 pm

Heh, let me see... my FF collection consists of:

Playstation/PS2 games:
FF Origins (I and II)
FF Anthology (IV and V)
FFVI
FFVII
FFVIII (two copies - the first was the limited edition box-set with posters, stickers, a memory card and a t-shirt, the second is the Platinum version that I bought because the original version stopped working)
FFIX
FFX
FFX-2

Random stuff:
FFXIII soundtrack
FFIX Tetra Master card game
FFIX playing cards
Squall's ring and chain
Two FFVIII t-shirts that are a bit wrecked but I can't throw them out
A FFIX t-shirt that's far too big but I don't care

...anything else? Oh yeah. The guidebooks for FFVIII, FFIX, FFX and FFX-2. And the DVD version of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. And various posters.

Oh God, the action figures... :oops:

Erm, yeah, I've got action figures too: Squall, Zell, Quistis, Selphie, Rinoa, Irvine, Laguna and Seifer. Though it's easy to forget about those when they're tucked away in the bottom of my wardrobe. In a box. Still in their original packaging.

Jesus Christ, I'm such a geek. :oops:

I dunno, I suppose it's not an unhealthy obsession, it's just cost me a fair few quid over the years. Though I must admit I haven't bought anything FF-related for quite a while. Of course, that'll change when FFXII comes out... still looking like May, as far as I'm aware.
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby Plym » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:15 pm

I could make that avatar bigger for you if you wanted John.
Plym
Take Care

Postby John » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:26 pm

I wasn't gonna bother, but I've done it now... cheers anyway. ;)

Incidentally, it's probably not gonna stay for long, it was only gonna be for a day.
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby tc2005 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:47 pm

i checked hmv and it says final fantasy 12 will be released in december
tc2005
Groupie

Postby John » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:07 pm

Oh well, I guess we'll see.

Gameplay are currently listing it for 27th May, Game and a couple of other sites are saying 31st March, HMV are saying 1st December... so there's a fairly wide range to choose from. :lol: Out of those, I'd tend to regard Gameplay as the most trustworthy - not just on release dates, if I buy video games online it's always from Gameplay.

Apparently it's being released in Japan on 16th March... so I'm guessing that December would be a more accurate UK release date. But I could be wrong, they might've finally started listening to us and releasing stuff a bit quicker around the world.
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby aaliyah4ever » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:04 pm

7 for me, but then that is the only one ive played
That was the last time I was willing to give up so much free time to a game
aaliyah4ever
Manager

Postby Tiger » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:38 pm

thelazyboy wrote:The thing is with FF7... maybe I didn't play it for long enough, because I just didn't get the storyline at all.

The fact that I didn't particularly go for it never actually stopped me buying a copy (I'm a bit of a geek like that, gotta have them all) so I might play it a bit over the weekend to see if I can get into it.

But yeah, it's the love story in FF8 that gets me too... also I guess there's quite a bit in it that I can really relate to - or at least, could relate to at the time. Not only that though, I still find the side-quests fascinating - particularly the cards, and surely everyone loves the chocobos... though I gotta admit my favourite chocobo quests were in FF9, I dread to think how many hours I've wasted on those.

I might be wearing a FF8 t-shirt right now... :oops: Um, yeah, I'm obsessed.

This is a topic that I can talk about at any time, for any length of time. People I know in real life have learned not to get me started on the subject because it's hard to get me off it. But... well, I guess it's good that I can talk at length about it on here because you can just ignore it if I'm starting to bore you. :lol:
YAY for Final Fantasy geeks! First of all - oooh yes everyone loves the Chocos! Cute little furry animals that they are :lol: Although you can't take the glory away from..

MOOGLES! Man they're cute...

Yes anyway, I've played all the games though I don't OWN much of em if you know what I mean ;) My favourite as I said is FF8 as well cause the animation rocks and I love the wohle Junction thing going on - it r0x. FF9 is another great one, really everything since 8 has been fantastic, although I fail to see the hype in 7 in all honesty. Hmm...

BTW - kudos for the avatars Jonathan! Squall is the man *changes avatar*

My CHART
Tiger

Return to Internet & Technology