Last.fm General Discussion

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:31 pm

But how do you run your scrobbler on a constant basis. Do you prepare a playlist beforehand that covers the roughly next 12 hours?
(I only count the songs that have been listened to in full; hence my low numbers. And most of the YouTube videos are not even registered)
Is there a specific reason why you have set your daily plays to a minimum of 250? Isn't this obsessive measuring and trying to meet some self imposed benchmark spoiling the fun?
Sorry for these questions. I'm really interested to learn more (not messing with you).
trebor
Legend

Postby RayRay » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:53 pm

stevyy wrote:
Wayne wrote:Last.Fm has a quota? :o

Also, stevyy - WTF. Do you do anything else in life other than sit on your ass listening to music? :lol:
I do listen to around 75% of those scrobbles.

I am constantly scrobbling... on my way TO work... on my way back home... when I'm at the supermarket... at home when I prepare for the next day... weekends... nights... all the time. my scrobbler runs and I'm listening.
But what about the 25% you don't listen to? I wouldn't like it if those songs would count on my list. It wouldn't show the real scrobbles and I would feel like my list was fake.

And what if friends come over or you want to watch something on tv? Don't you feel like it's an obsession?
RayRay
Superstar

Postby stevyy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:00 pm

I have a mental disorder. I believe my personal chart to be of value (to not only myself, but other too). I view it as my personal biography.

So in order to get as many artists in and appear to be a broad lover of music (which I truly am), I have set this benchmark of 250 scrobbles per day to myself. It is what is physically possible to listen to per day (at least for me).

So I live for my personal chart. It is also the cause for my excessive amazon addiction. I buy almost everything I've ever listened to either digitally or physically which - as you may know - comes with this incredible feature of autorip which means I get the CD and the digital album.

I am approaching 70 album purchases for 2017 and we have barely reached August.

My music shopping addicted goes as far as me checking out random lists in magazines - like Rolling Stone Magazine - to find new and exciting artists. My illness comes into play when you know how I consider what I'd listen to. I need to be attracted to the artist sexually. Then I'm all IN. So I browse the album covers, look at the ratings... then google the act. Check out if the group has a hot singer or if the singer is any hot and then I purchase the album. It rarely happens that I fall in love music per se and buy an album from someone I do not consider sexy.

Then I buy said album blindly without having listened to any songs and play it for as long as I love the music. The latest edition I have sought out like this is "Fleet Foxes". I bought their 2017 album Crack-Up - loved the music from the get go and now I've bought a second album by them as well - which will impact on this week's chart.

For girls it is different. Because my sexy-singers-only rule cannot apply to females - since I am not physically attracted to them. So I have another system which defines who'll get a purchase and that's my AA-system which indicates what artists are truly great and deserve legendary status in my world. This status (AA is the highest) belongs to artists who have shaped my childhood like Mariah, Take That, Robbie, Michael, Springsteen etc. They will keep this status forever and I have to buy whatever they release like a complete mental nutcase.

And I want my AA-Artists to slay my charts... thence they get a clear channel deal from me and go in heavy rotation for weeks.

So all in all I told you more than you asked for, but that's me. I am crazy (the illness kind - not the cute kind).
stevyy
Legend

Postby stevyy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:07 pm

RayRay wrote:
stevyy wrote:
Wayne wrote:Last.Fm has a quota? :o

Also, stevyy - WTF. Do you do anything else in life other than sit on your ass listening to music? :lol:
I do listen to around 75% of those scrobbles.

I am constantly scrobbling... on my way TO work... on my way back home... when I'm at the supermarket... at home when I prepare for the next day... weekends... nights... all the time. my scrobbler runs and I'm listening.
But what about the 25% you don't listen to? I wouldn't like it if those songs would count on my list. It wouldn't show the real scrobbles and I would feel like my list was fake.

And what if friends come over or you want to watch something on tv? Don't you feel like it's an obsession?
Oh, I had this happen to me just Sunday and Monday. I visited my brother who lives 200km from me... and I took my laptop with me and installed it there, so I could scrobble music while I was doing other things like talking to people or going out.

I do not consider my list to be fake. Because real charts only feature or feature more and more streams, I want to show what is physically possible by someone who doesn't know what spotify is. My purchases are only counted once. Which is unfair. I have scrobbled my #1 album of all times almost 7,000 times, and own 3 copies. So I'm constantly proving the point of how people like me are undervalued on the current charts and how they are all frauds and how my personal chart is way more representative of true music lovers.
stevyy
Legend

Postby RayRay » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:25 pm

stevyy wrote:
Oh, I had this happen to me just Sunday and Monday. I visited my brother who lives 200km from me... and I took my laptop with me and installed it there, so I could scrobble music while I was doing other things like talking to people or going out.

My brother wouldn't let me as he has a very different taste in music. Is everybody okay with you playing your music while you visit someone? Or just your brother?
My husband and I are both music lovers, but he wouldn't like it if I only played my music all day long.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:38 pm

Thanks, @stevyy! (I trust your post is honest)
Your personal chart is of value, no question about that; everybody compiling a chart loves their chart and involuntarily exactly depicts and lays out to the world who they really are. No worry about that; I can relate. If it's of importance to the world, probably questionable but certainly of interest to your friends.
Believe me, you don't have a music shopping addiction; 70 purchases by August is a lot but nowhere out of the ordinary. You're simply part of the industry's core buying group that basically is responsible for the majority of sales.
I also check out all sorts of lists, etc. and I would never call myself addicted, rather interested in music (especially if it's not coming from my own culture).
I absolutely cannot relate to the physical attraction and the buying impulses. I don't stan for anybody in particular, and I don't discriminate (at least I try hard not to) and go by appearances. I let the music speak and the rest is not important to me. Anyhow, I'm certainly not dismissing your point of view.
It all sounds like you are moving yourself in an alternate world in which you are trying to shape your own make believe musical reality to meet some kind of expectations (whose?) of a just/better musical landscape.
Let go of the pressure (and the burden) and be yourself. You don't have to prove to anyone or to the world that you are a legitimate music lover.
I know you didn't ask for opinions but I did it anyway. And now you won't believe me, but I do like you (and I do care).

(Redacted before the two posts above)
trebor
Legend

Postby RayRay » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:45 am

trebor wrote:Thanks, @stevyy! (I trust your post is honest)

Let go of the pressure (and the burden) and be yourself. You don't have to prove to anyone or to the world that you are a legitimate music lover.

I agree on this. We all know you are a true music lover, Stevyy. You don't have to prove anything to anyone.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Ugh. Everytime there's a new update for my iPhone i'm getting problems with the scrobbler again, so i already lost three days full of plays, which would be around 300-400 plays :x
Tansike
Legend

Postby RayRay » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:20 pm

It has never worked as good as now for me. A few weeks ago I got a new phone. Instead of synchronising last.fm, I chose the option to connect to last.fm in the Spotify app. It works perfectly now. No more lost or double scrobbles.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:57 pm

Do not download iTunes 12.7 if you have the chance to. The scrobbler does not work. The team of Last.fm is aware of this though and are about to fix it but damn, I hope I don't lose many days of scrobbling due to this stupid update :(
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Mainshow wrote:Do not download iTunes 12.7 if you have the chance to. The scrobbler does not work. The team of Last.fm is aware of this though and are about to fix it but damn, I hope I don't lose many days of scrobbling due to this stupid update :(
I haven't updated iTunes in ages, this has happened a few times in the past to me and I've always had to roll back to an older version, I've learnt from my mistakes. :lol: You'll be awaiting a long time for a fix let me tell you, if I were you I'd uninstall the scrobbler and iTunes and reinstall a version of iTunes which has worked for you before and reinstall the scrobbler app also.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby RayRay » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:20 pm

Anybody else having troubles with last.fm tonight?
RayRay
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:42 pm

It's working again. :D
RayRay
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:22 pm

So it didn't sync the scrobbles from my iPhone for the whole week already :( Someone else having the same problem?
Tansike
Legend

Return to Internet & Technology