Grindr

Postby SholasBoy » Mon May 30, 2011 8:39 pm

What does everyone think about aps like Grindr, because I got an iphone probably just over a month ago and decided against getting Grindr, because I didn't like the idea of it, but 2 weeks in, I downloaded it, and I find myself checking my messages quite frequently now, despite the fact I really don't know why...I doubt I would ever actually want to meet anyone from it or anything, but I find it quite addictive, if not a little bit scary...

I hear there are straight and lesbian versions too, it does make me think that it is no wonder that STI rates are so high these days when casual sex is so readily available!
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Plym » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:34 pm

I met my flatmate on it! :lol:

I went on and he messaged me asking what I was upto and I said flat hunting and he said he was actually looking for a roommate so he linked me to gumtree and I viewed it and moved in!
We have never had sex or anything.
Plym
Take Care

Postby Merci » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:12 pm

just downloaded it

99% topless pictures, smh!
I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby Wayne » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:03 pm

Merci wrote:just downloaded it

And not one penis in sight..gutted.

Had it, then deleted it. This is the reason why the "gay scene" in all major cities will die a quick death
Wayne
Administrator

Postby jtbracken0 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Omgosh. I know a lot of people with this.
I find it interesting...and kinda cool but I wouldn't get one...kinda desperate.
jtbracken0
Manager

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:26 pm

04wayne wrote:
Merci wrote:just downloaded it

And not one penis in sight..gutted.

Had it, then deleted it. This is the reason why the "gay scene" in all major cities will die a quick death
Why do you think that is?
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Wayne » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:40 pm

Its not the only factor, but its certainly a major factor; the gay bar that I used to work in has seen its sales fall by some 35%, ironically since Grindr really became big [so since about the middle of last year]. Its sooo much easier to find your date on Grindr, or find a shag on Grindr than it is to go out, spend £50 and get pissed, and then take somebody home. Obviously, the recession is probably the biggest factor on spending overall in the country, but Grindr definitely hasn't helped matters, at least in Nottingham.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Thriller » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:54 pm

Oh my god as soon as they launch a straight version every city centre will become a ghost town on Friday and Saturday nights! :lol:
Thriller

Postby sambo9 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:58 pm

What's Grindr? Please don't tell me there's actually an app for finding other sex-desperate gay singles in the nearby area on iPhones.
sambo9
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:01 pm

sambo9 wrote:What's Grindr? Please don't tell me there's actually an app for finding other sex-desperate gay singles in the nearby area on iPhones.
That's pretty much what it is. It tells you with other gay guys are nearest you and you can interact with them...There is even an option of sending them a map link to your exact location, which I just find quite alarming though I suppose genius at the same time :lol:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby sambo9 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:23 pm

OMG, that sounds like so much fun! :lol:

I need an iPhone.
sambo9
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:37 pm

^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Wayne » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Its really uncomfortable when you work in a bar, check your phone at the end of your shift and you've got 15 fat, bald, old, wrinkly men saying to you something like this:

:lol:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby jio » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:52 pm

I just read this and I find it sort of disturbing. I mean what hapenned to good old communication and imagination? I just think it's ridiculous and will soon be filled up with losers (as with all dating services really, at least that's my experience)
jio
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Some people just don't give up

SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby matugama » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:03 pm

don't like grindr but i prefer bender. with grindr these annoying men just don't understand the word NO. whereas with bender you have a much wider variety although its not as popular. and the 100 people limiting thing is annoying as most of the 100 people displayed are unapplicable- in terms of my taste, they're just not that good.
matugama
Manager

Postby SholasBoy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 pm

I've never heard of Bender? What makes the people on it better? Surely it's the same people? :lol:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Wayne » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:43 pm

Just downloaded this again; split up with my bf yesterday, so might as well have a gander! :lol:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby sambo9 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:48 pm

LOL at Ashhi'x. :lol:

What do you reckon is the average age of a Grindr user?
sambo9
Legend

Postby Briconic » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:56 pm

Oh Lord, I downloaded it for my Android to see what the fuss was about...I'm not impressed. The location finder on the app messes up a lot, the guys are usually just hunting for a piece of ass (although I didn't really expect much more than that to begin with), and you don't really get a chance to read much about a person before you take a chance on messaging them. Plus nothing beats meeting someone in person...pictures don't always tell the whole truth about a person. :x
Stop lookin' through the peephole!!!
Briconic
Roadie

Postby steophonic » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:09 pm

Sounds quite lazy to me... people who can't be arsed going out to meet people!
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby sambo9 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:16 pm

steophonic wrote:Sounds quite lazy to me... people who can't be arsed going out to meet people!
Yeah, but what a brilliant piece of technology! I mean, if you're ever feeling lonely on a Friday night, a desperate forty year old gay man can be right on your doorstop within practically minutes!
sambo9
Legend

Postby Plym » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:24 pm

steophonic wrote:Sounds quite lazy to me... people who can't be arsed going out to meet people!
No offense Ste, but it's alot easier for straight people to meet people.
I have to go to a specific bar or club to know that a guy is gay and I can chat him up. This isn't really convenient for me as I don't like gay clubs and pubs and there are alot of people closeted out there who want to meet someone too.

It's easy for you all to call this sleazy and desperate but think about some people's circumstances.
sambo9 wrote:I mean, if you're ever feeling lonely on a Friday night, a desperate forty year old gay man can be right on your doorstop within practically minutes!
There's an age filter option.
Plym
Take Care

Postby sambo9 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Plym wrote:
sambo9 wrote:I mean, if you're ever feeling lonely on a Friday night, a desperate forty year old gay man can be right on your doorstop within practically minutes!
There's an age filter option.
Even better!
sambo9
Legend

Postby sambo9 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Plym wrote:No offense Ste, but it's alot easier for straight people to meet people.
I have to go to a specific bar or club to know that a guy is gay and I can chat him up. This isn't really convenient for me as I don't like gay clubs and pubs and there are alot of people closeted out there who want to meet someone too.

It's easy for you all to call this sleazy and desperate but think about some people's circumstances.
That's why I don't think it's fair to judge people who use bath houses.
sambo9
Legend

Return to Internet & Technology