RETRO TOP 20 + NEW FAVES by Undercover

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby navi » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:21 pm

Undercover wrote:New discoveries, 30 11
Sleepcar - Long Story Short
Velcro Hooks - Severin' The Mind

New discoveries, 01 12
Some big names (Bloc party, Cheatahs, Coldplay, Mystery jets, Skunk anansie) with pretty much average songs :o :(
my picks are
Picture Palace - Alice
Whistlejacket - Stay - N
My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)
navi
Superstar

Postby navi » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Undercover wrote:New discoveries, 02 12
very good day, with several great songs
Big Ups - Capitalized (love these uncontrolled screaming)
Echo & The Sound - Who Says?
Wall - Milk
ps
Night Time - She Lets The Light In (White lies?)
navi
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:34 pm

Echo & The Sound - Who Says? is a bit strange but I enjoyed it
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Undercover » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:47 pm

New discoveries, 03 12

Hailing from scenic Saratoga Springs, New York, The Black Ships are part of an underground scene of shoegaze, dreampop and indie-goth that’s reputedly blowing up, up north. (Big Take Over)
Black Ships - Twice Born

Prolific Los Angeles indie rock band the Black Watch are closing out the year with "Love's Fever Dreams," anchored by the hypnotic vocals of frontman John Andrew Fredrick and guitars that alternately drone and jangle, set to a rhythm that recalls some of early Britpop's more psychedelic tendencies. (Allmusic)
Black Watch - Love's Fever Dreams

What’s Your Rupture is the label that births the cool. One of the newest releases is this very small scale 7″ by Honey Radar. You can hear all sorts of influences from lo-fi to jangling pop to art punk in their sound. (Austin Town Hall)
Honey Radar - Milk Maid

The crushingly good How Does It Feel is the b side to latest release Soft Decay. It showcases to even greater effect their brooding and ominous post-punk that hums and crackles with nihilistic intent, sweeping all before it on a barrage of guitar riffing. (The Mad Mackerel)
Morning Smoke - How Does It Feel

London duo Chloë Alper and Mat Collis combine to create something that sounds like some weird mash-up between a dreampop band and an experimental heavy rock outfit on this latest single released last week. Discordant sounds and changing chord structures work around softly layered textures and Alper's ethereal Kate Bush-like vocals. (Little Indie Blogs)
Tiny Giant - Seeing Everything As Though It Is Real
Undercover
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:24 am

My pick is Tiny Giant
heppolo
Legend

Postby Undercover » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:52 pm

New discoveries, 04 12

"Arizona" showcases a darker side to the group. Hazy vocals and fuzzy guitars are sprinkled with psychedelic synth sounds, resulting in a sweet serving of shoegaze-y goodness. (Exclaim!)
Memoryhouse - Arizona

Their latest single before the release of their album next week hits on the lo-fidelity charm. Still, there’s a fluid bit of pop-centric guitar playing that keeps the interest of the listener; it seems like the song’s always circling back to offer you some hook you won’t be able to put down. (Austin Town Hall)
Strange Faces - Brand New Way
Undercover
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:01 pm

I like both 8-)
heppolo
Legend

Postby navi » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:02 pm

Everything is great,
but
Black Ships - Twice Born
Black Watch - Love's Fever Dreams
Tiny Giant - Seeing Everything As Though It Is Real
are more than great :wink:
navi
Superstar

Postby Undercover » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:15 pm

The band, who's name beigins with the word "Black", can't be bad. :lol:

New discoveries, 05 12

Noel Fielding and Kasabian's Serge Pizzorno have revealed their long-discussed Christmas single. The track features a guest rap by actor Idris Elba. (NME)
Loose Tapestries - Can't Wait For Christmas

This week, the electropop maestro Jean-Philip Grobler, aka St. Lucia, returns with “Physical”, a sweat-soaked banger about “giving up control in a sexual situation". (Consequence Of Sound)
St. Lucia - Physical

Birthed from the same post-Fat White Family south London scene that’s spawned Phobophobes and Pumarosa come Sweat. ‘Be Complete’ is the debut track. (NME)
Sweat - Be Complete
Undercover
Superstar

Postby Undercover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:43 pm

3 December - 9 December 1995, Week 49 (685)

TW LW W

01 01 03 Blur - The Universal
02 12 02 Cardigans - Carnival
03 05 02 Passengers - Miss Sarajevo
04 03 03 Björk - It's Oh So Quiet
05 02 05 Electrafixion - Never
06 ---- 01 Pulp - Disco 2000
07 04 05 Oasis - Wonderwall
08 11 03 Whale - Hobo Humpin Slobo Babe
09 ---- 01 Prince - Gold
10 06 06 Longpigs - Jesus Christ
11 09 04 Beautiful South - Pretenders To The Throne
12 20 02 David Bowie - Strangers When We Meet
13 08 05 Stone Roses - Begging You
14 07 06 Echobelly - King Of The Kerb
15 14 02 Garbage - Queer
16 ---- 01 Morrissey - The Boy Racer
17 10 07 PJ Harvey - Send His Love To Me
18 ---- 01 Faithless - Insomnia
19 13 05 Alice In Chains - Grind
20 ---- 01 Erasure - Fingers And Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day)

10 December - 16 December 1995, Week 50 (686)

TW LW W

01 02 03 Cardigans - Carnival
02 06 02 Pulp - Disco 2000
03 01 04 Blur - The Universal
04 03 03 Passengers - Miss Sarajevo
05 09 02 Prince - Gold
06 ---- 01 Menswear - Sleeping In
07 04 04 Björk - It's Oh So Quiet
08 08 04 Whale - Hobo Humpin Slobo Babe
09 ---- 01 Beatles - Free As A Bird
10 12 03 David Bowie - Strangers When We Meet
11 16 02 Morrissey - The Boy Racer
12 05 06 Electrafixion - Never
13 07 06 Oasis - Wonderwall
14 ---- 01 Pearl Jam - I Got Id
15 18 02 Faithless - Insomnia
16 11 05 Beautiful South - Pretenders To The Throne
17 20 02 Erasure - Fingers And Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day)
18 10 07 Longpigs - Jesus Christ
19 15 03 Garbage - Queer
20 ---- 01 Simply Red - Remembering The First Time

Album of the week

Dead Weather - Dodge And Burn

New discoveries, 07 12

The US hard grunge rockers Hobart W. Fink released their 'Post Hummus' EP in November via Burger Records imprint Wiener Records & All Scene Eye. The spiky three-track record - produced by Chris Kasych (Wavves, Vampire Weekend) - of raw, crackling spits of fierce, power punching guitars, heavy riffs and vocal harmonies of Jayk Gallagher and Lauren Lakis, fuses elements of Sonic Youth, Queens of The Stone Age and Nirvana. 'White Christmas' from the EP ain't no Bing Crosby, that's for sure. (Little Indie Blogs)
Hobart W. Fink - White Christmas

Kula Shaker have finally emerged from the silence and mark their return with a new album a series of special live dates throughout the UK & Beyond. On 12 February 2016 the band will release their 5th studio album on the Strangefolk label. Titled ‘K 2.0’, the 11 track record was produced by Crispian Mills, Alonza Bevan, and Duck Blackwell and recorded at State of the Ark, London, England and at Lompret Sound, deep in the heart of Walloon country, Belgium. (XS Noize)
Kula Shaker - Infinite Sun

'A Moment To Return' is the lead single from Sydney-based indie pop four-piece Why We Run's upcoming album - and a cracker it is too. Produced by ARIA-winning Wayne Connolly (Paper Kites, Boy & Bear, Cloud Control), 'A Moment To Return' sweeps along combining groove-rich guitar riffs, subtle synth underlay and a steady rolling drumbeat that keeps it buoyant behind Nic Cogels' extremely more-ish vocal. (Little Indie Blogs)
Why We Run - A Moment To Return
Undercover
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Kula Shaker's song is okay, not exactly "K 2.0" (trying to cash-in on their successful debut is reasonable but 20 years have passed)
heppolo
Legend

Postby Undercover » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:47 pm

heppolo wrote:Kula Shaker's song is okay, not exactly "K 2.0" (trying to cash-in on their successful debut is reasonable but 20 years have passed)
Just realised that they have released 2 albums in the noughties. :o

New discoveries, 08 12

The Silence is born from previous members of Ghost — the now-defunct Japanese psych group. “Ancient Wind Part 3″ is a six-minute doozy of Lightning Bolt-style power guitars played in 7/8 time with a back-up flute and organ. (Stereogum)
Silence - Ancient Wind Part 3

Led by songwriter Derek Sheehan, psychedelic shoegazers Weekender combine dreamy pop melodies with crunchy guitar riffs that seem to have a mind of their own. (Consequence Of Sound)
Weekender - Loving/Hating

"Everywhere I Wanna Go" starts out with this brooding bit of post-punk, offering up spoken word to accompany that style. But, as the song pushes along, a shimmering burst of pop shines through in the chorus; it twists the listener up, somehow reminding us of the joyous early days of Brit pop. (Austin Town Hall)
You Beauty - Everywhere I Wanna Go
Undercover
Superstar

Postby navi » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:07 pm

Undercover wrote:
heppolo wrote:Kula Shaker's song is okay, not exactly "K 2.0" (trying to cash-in on their successful debut is reasonable but 20 years have passed)
Just realised that they have released 2 albums in the noughties. :o
:o :o :o :o
You didn't know that
(Cannot believe)
the debut album K (1996) went on to sell over 850,000 copies in the UK (double platinum)
Silence - Ancient Wind Part 3
what is this
broken record or jerking ...

Weekender - Loving/Hating 8-)
You Beauty - Everywhere I Wanna Go 8-)
navi
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:49 pm

I like You Beauty today
heppolo
Legend

Postby Undercover » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Guys, Ancient Wind Part 3 is a great tune. Just be patient at the beginning of the song. :)

New discoveries, 09 12

Kraftwerk co-founder Florian Schneider recently went into the studio alongside Dan Lacksman (Telex) to work on a new track. 'Stop Plastic Pollution' has now been placed online and it's part of the Parley For The Oceans campaign. With its hushed, repetitive vocals and bleeping synths 'Stop Plastic Pollution' immediately recalls Schneider's work with Kraftwerk. (Clash Magazine)
Florian Schneider, Dan Lacksman - Stop Plastic Pollution

Foster The People has been relatively quiet since the release of 2014’s Supermodel, but the indie-pop band snuck in their first new music of 2015 with just a few weeks left in the calendar year. “The Unforeseeable Fate of Mr. Jones” arrives in a BitTorrent Bundle that also includes another song, “Ruby”, and original artwork from the band. Fans nostalgic for the days of “Pumped Up Kicks” will find plenty to like here, as the song boasts a similar blend of guitar pop with just a dash of darkness. (Consequence Of Sound)
Foster The People - The Unforeseeable Fate Of Mr. Jones
Undercover
Superstar

Postby navi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:11 pm

Foster The People - The Unforeseeable Fate Of Mr. Jones
unfortunately, not a shadow of Pumped up kicks :(
navi
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:53 pm

Foster The People is okay-ish
heppolo
Legend

Postby Undercover » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:30 pm

New discoveries, 10 12

Described by frontman Matty Healy as “something that goes back to the early foundation of how we write music as The 1975,” it’s a tropical, wavering take on The 1975’s funkier pop tendencies, Matty Healy channeling his inner Justin Timberlake atop skronky, space-age synths. (DIY)
1975 - Ugh!

There’s an overwhelming warmth to BEAU’s future-facing take on folk. The NYC duo, made up of Heather Boo and Emma Rose, take that feeling and let it soar on latest single ‘Fire’. (DIY)
Beau - Fire

New single 'Parks And Recreation' arrives on January 22nd, and it's a punchy, direct return. As infectious as anything in Pollock's catalogue, 'Parks And Recreation' is packed with spiky guitars that manage to recall both her work with The Delagados and the likes of Kristin Hersh. (Clash Magazine)
Emma Pollock - Parks And Recreation

Formed with a mantra of bringing together misfits and mixed backgrounds, the band deliver their message with the help of "loud guitars" and "busy beats." The new track features fuzzed-out riffs that build into a rattling, rousing chorus. (Exclaim!)
Estrons - Aliens

Self-genrified as Afropsych, to say that the new track from Golden Dawn Arkestra is unlike anything you’ve ever heard before would be nothing short of a certainty. Gently ebbing and flowing to begin, the track’s lo-fi beginnings take a very different turn when the Sly Stone-esque horns take off. Joined by an army of instrumentation - which includes percussion, synthesizers, vibraphone and bass clarinet - from that point on there’s really no looking back. It’s intergalactic, it’s a little bit weird, and it’s bloody great. (The Line Of Best Fit)
Golden Dawn Arkestra - Stargazer

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds release new single 'The Dying Of The Light' on Friday (December 11), with new song The Girl With X-Ray Eyes featuring as a B-side to that release. (NME)
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - The Girl With X-Ray Eyes
Undercover
Superstar

Postby navi » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:56 pm

three great ones
Emma Pollock - Parks And Recreation
Estrons - Aliens
Golden Dawn Arkestra - Stargazer

the rest is good too
navi
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:03 pm

I'd highlight Beau and Estrons
heppolo
Legend

Postby Undercover » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:28 pm

Still can't get rid of "Stargazer". It's a flash of joy to my old-fashioned soul. :) However, the new songs are knocking on the door...

New discoveries, 12 12

Last year, veteran songwriting royalty Aimee Mann and Ted Leo, friends for years, got together to form a duo called the Both and released a deeply underrated power-pop album. They didn’t finish things up with that, either. Last year, they also dropped a Christmas song called “Nothing Left To Do (Let’s Make This Christmas Blue). And now they’ve also got another Christmas single. This one is called “You’re A Gift,” and it’s a mellow and confident jam that’s really only barely a Christmas song. (Stereogum)
Both - You're A Gift

Ra Ra Riot recently announced Need Your Light, their follow-up to 2013's Beta Love. The new LP arrives February 19 via Barsuk. Today, they've shared a visual for "Water", their collaboration with Vampire Weekend's Rostam Batmanglij. (Pitchfork)
Ra Ra Riot feat. Rostam Batmanglij - Water

Twitchy electronics and sudden blurts of guitar punctuate the verses like a wild-haired mid-twenty-something ping-ponging between getting their act together and complete disarray. The track is at once meditative and frantic, all the while maintaining a sense of self-deprecating joy. (Consequence Of Sound)
StaG - Colorado - Suicidal

London-based machine-beat post-punks return with new single ‘Road of the Law’, b/w this B-side, out now via their own label Heavy Leather Promotions. Fierce guitars, pounding drums and explosive synths, complete with Robert Cowlin's baritone. (Little Indie Blogs)
Terminal Gods - Movement

Back in early 2013, Thao & The Get Down Stay Down, the giddy and experimental San Francisco indie-pop project led by Thao Nguyen, released their album We The Common. Early next year, Nguyen and company will follow that one up with A Man Alive, which tUnE-YaRdS mastermind Merrill Garbus produced. First single “Nobody Dies” is as explosive and melodically dense as you might expect, given all that. (Stereogum)
Thao & The Get Down Stay Down - Nobody Dies

TW Walsh landed Yuuki Matthews (Shins, David Bazan, Crystal Skulls, Teardrops), whom Walsh long respected, and the two came up with Fruitless Research, out February 12 on Graveface. This new single from the album, “Young Rebels,” with its drums and guitars as if heard through dirty cotton balls, tinkling keys wispering to the right, and Walsh’s vocal melody instantly hummable—plus those handclaps that come in to yank it out a possible morose mood—not only sounds like a man dragging himself out of a rough patch, but bodes well for the whole album. (CMJ)
TW Walsh - Young Rebels

London-based trio Virgin Kids share the same grime-under-fingernails, downright grubby mentality as fellow garage punks The Black Lips and Hinds. But with new song ‘Cracks in a Colour’, they form a gnarly manifesto of their own. Traken from debut LP ‘Greasewheel’, this latest track fins Asher Preston (who initially started Virgin Kids as a bedroom project) and his bamdates shifting gears at will. Nonchalent-sounding verses will suddenly change pace, racing into a hellish, disgusting chorus that’s the equivalent of diving into a pile of sewage and swimming to the bottom. (DIY)
Virgin Kids - Cracks In A Colour

Vivid Dreams are an NYC based group who make hazy psych tinged rock and roll. The song below, “Alpha and Omega” is a burst of simmering energy. It’s got twangy guitar that crisply cuts through the mix and mild vocals that add an eerie spin on the otherwise clean rock. (Austin Town Hall)
Vivid Dreams - Alpha & Omega
Undercover
Superstar

Postby navi » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:05 pm

another great selection!
Thao & The Get Down Stay Down - Nobody Dies (we need more woman's in indie rock music)
TW Walsh - Young Rebels
stands out
+ 80's gothic Terminal Gods - Movement

ps.
some great new entries on your 10 years ago chart which i wanna add to my,
the only problem is that i finished my charts for next 3 weeks. :(
I'd like to take a look ahead at your data :wink:
navi
Superstar

Postby Undercover » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:59 pm

Glad you enjoy some of these. :)

navi wrote:I'd like to take a look ahead at your data :wink:
I have any compiled charts for the next weeks. :) Usually I'm doing my new chart on Sunday evening, using just 2 sources - The UK Top 100 Singles Chart and The UK Independent Singles Chart Top 50. I suspect that most of these great unknown (at least for me) songs comes from here. :)

New discoveries, December 14

No frills needed - simple-yet-moving piano frames the transatlantic newcomer's gravely baritone in the most uncomplicated but effective way. (The 405)
Barns Courtney - Goodbye John Smith

Beneath the acres of distortion, though, lies a fetid pop heart. Oddball melodies and surrealistic lyrical wit, Breakfast MUFF is the sound of those early Sub Pop records allowed to grow wild and unfettered in Glasgow. (Clash Magazine)
Breakfast Muff - Satan

The krautrock-y “Under The Sun” starts out with ticking pinpricks of guitar and a sinuous post-punk bassline, gradually adding on layers until the whole thing just about touches the sky. (Stereogum)
DIIV - Under The Sun

Debuting their first music video for 'Believe' - shot in classy noir mode by Viceroy Shoots - with swirling guitars, smoke, lamps and a smiling young lady doing things with sparklers - you can't help but be drawn to, not just their cool demeanour, and the song's lush psych-gaze, Ride-influenced groove, but vocalist Jake Bellwood's facial hair growth is as much a point of visual interest as his gorgeously soaring pitched vocal is to the ears. (Little Indie Blogs)
Gleam - Believe

New Split 7″ from The Luxembourg Signal/Soft Science. Luxembourg Signal offer up a great dreamy pop tune for their side, filling 4+ minutes with ringing distorted guitar and melody. Soft Science take a slightly janglier approach, though still in the same vein, it’s got a completely different feel. (Austin Town Hall)
Luxembourg Signal - Dying Star (Cirrus)
Soft Science - Breaking

Veering from discipline to discipline, the band's sound - loosely post-punk, occasionally prog-like - is an amorphous, highly creative endeavour. 'Switchboard Operator' is a dose of poised, dramatic songwriting, outwardly spiky but retaining a romantic core. (Clash Magazine)
Polsky - Switchboard Operator

California psych-garage animals Thee Oh Sees got a new 7″ single ready for release in February. The A-side is called “Fortress,” and it comes from the Mutilator Defended At Last sessions. It’s a jagged, percussive banger driven by a slashing guitar riff and a storm of drums, and it’s very much the sort of thing that will hit like a bomb when they play it live. (Stereogum)
Thee Oh Sees - Fortress
Undercover
Superstar

Postby navi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Undercover wrote:Glad you enjoy some of these. :)

navi wrote:I'd like to take a look ahead at your data :wink:
I have any compiled charts for the next weeks. :) Usually I'm doing my new chart on Sunday evening, using just 2 sources - The UK Top 100 Singles Chart and The UK Independent Singles Chart Top 50. I suspect that most of these great unknown (at least for me) songs comes from here. :)
Grateful for a link,
but with this you're ruining all my day.
(i'm spending whole forenoon on the official charts site,
and not doing anything meaningful) :wink:

DIIV - Under The Sun 8-)
Gleam - Believe 8-)
Luxembourg Signal - Dying Star (Cirrus) 8-)
navi
Superstar

Postby Undercover » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:29 pm

navi wrote:Grateful for a link
You're welcome, mate :)

navi wrote:i'm spending whole forenoon on the official charts site,
and not doing anything meaningful
It will be much easier next week, when you'll have only to check up the new entries. :)

17 December - 23 December 1995, Week 51 (687)

TW LW W

01 02 03 Pulp - Disco 2000
02 01 04 Cardigans - Carnival
03 06 02 Menswear - Sleeping In
04 03 05 Blur - The Universal
05 05 03 Prince - Gold
06 09 02 Beatles - Free As A Bird
07 14 02 Pearl Jam - I Got Id
08 04 04 Passengers - Miss Sarajevo
09 08 05 Whale - Hobo Humpin Slobo Babe
10 11 03 Morrissey - The Boy Racer
11 10 04 David Bowie - Strangers When We Meet
12 07 05 Björk - It's Oh So Quiet
13 15 03 Faithless - Insomnia
14 ---- 01 Levellers - Just The One
15 12 07 Electrafixion - Never
16 13 07 Oasis - Wonderwall
17 ---- 01 Queen - A Winter's Tale
18 20 02 Simply Red - Remembering The First Time
19 ---- 01 Morrissey - Sunny
20 ---- 01 Lenny Kravitz - Circus

Album of the week

City And Colour - If I Should Go Before You

Honourable mention

Richard Hawley - Hollow Meadows

I'm gonna finish with the remaining 8 weeks of my real-time charts from 1995/6 here until the New Year and then move to the another forum. Haven't decided yet: here or here. There's no sense to stay at the personal charts forum without the personal chart. :lol:
Undercover
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts