Jordin Sparks
13%
Mariah Carey
23%
Rihanna
6%

Total votes : 31

Postby JSparksFan » Tue May 06, 2014 10:59 pm

For years, I've been unable to produce a definitive, consistent response to the question, "Who is your favourite artist?" simply because I'd never given much thought to selecting a single name from the set of artists I love as my #1, but by the end of this countdown, that query will be answered. Using five criteria - voice, quality of discography, volume of released music, personal relevance, and airplay - 100 artists were scored and ranked to determine my favourite music act and, I can assure you, there will be some massive surprises!

Below are the six contenders for the crown, none of whom should come as a surprise to anyone considering that, combined, they're responsible for 61 of my 200 favourite songs of all-time, that I have referred to no less than three of them, at different points in time, as my favourite artist, and that I've bothered to invest time and effort into preparing tributes for each one of these divas.

So which one of these five young ladies, and Mariah, will be crowned my ultimate favourite act? There can only be one queen (and that's not Madonna). Stay tuned to find out she is! :D Vote wisely in the poll now. :wink:

Last edited by JSparksFan on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:58 am, edited 31 times in total.
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Haribo » Wed May 07, 2014 6:46 am

Yay! Excited!

What is Beyoncé doing here, though? I still remember what you said. :cry:
Haribo
Legend

Postby Era » Wed May 07, 2014 7:12 am

I WANT Rihanna to top this list !!!!

BUT I've gotta feeling JSparks or Brinty will :cry:
Era
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri May 09, 2014 1:03 am

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm a day late, but this starts tonight! :D

Haribo wrote:Yay! Excited!

What is Beyoncé doing here, though? I still remember what you said. :cry:
You mean that comment in 2009 I made about not being a big fan of hers? Well, five years can do wonders. :wink:

Era wrote:I WANT Rihanna to top this list !!!!

BUT I've gotta feeling JSparks or Brinty will :cry:
It's very competitive. In fact, a single point separates my #1 and #3. :wink:

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri May 09, 2014 2:12 am

100. No Doubt - 401 pts.

My love for No Doubt can best be summed up in two words: "Don't Speak". #35 on my all-time favourite songs list, the 90s classic was the very first track I heard from No Doubt and over the years it has become, far and away, my most played song from the band. Although I only play a handful of their other songs regularly, No Doubt has grown into one of my favourite acts because of their eclectic fusion of pop and other less mainstream genres such as ska and alternative rock. I sincerely think Gwen does her best work as the frontwoman of the band as most of her solo output has failed to impress me.
Code: Select all
Favourite Songs:
- Don't Speak
- Settle Down
- Happy Now?
- Push and Shove
- Different People
- Sixteen

Favourite Album: Tragic Kingdom

099. Jason Derulo - 405 pts.

I'll never forget how amazed I was upon hearing Jason Derulo's debut single "Whatcha Say" in the fall of 2009. It had been a while since a male artist had managed to wow me on his first attempt and I had such huge expectations for Jason. Since checking out his debut album, I've learned not to expect too much from him on the album front, as most of his records are laden with the most basic of filler tracks, but to look forward to his usually ace, or at the very least catchy, singles.
Favourite Songs:
- Whatcha Say
- Ridin' Solo
- Make It Up As We Go
- Breathing
- In My Head
- It Girl

Favourite Album: Jason Derulo

098. Nelly Furtado - 407 pts.

Don't ask me where I was in 2006, but, for some reason I was rather oblivious to Nelly Furtado...at least until "All Good Things (Come to an End)" was released and I heard that masterpiece on the radio. It was instant love. It would take a few years for me to explore the parent album that produced one of my all-time favourite songs, my 109th favourite to be exact, but in the interim I did enjoy "Waiting for the Night", a criminally underrated, Latin-flavoured single that ought to have seen far more success on the charts than it did. I still feel that song is better than some of her massive chart hits, although "Promiscuous", "Maneater", and "Say It Right" are all quality songs too.
Favourite Songs:
- All Good Things (Come to an End)
- Waiting for the Night
- Promiscuous
- Maneater
- Say It Right
- Te Busque

Favourite Album: Loose

097. Keith Urban - 408 pts.

I discovered Keith Urban, my second favourite male country artist, through a Now That's What I Call Music! release, where I heard the incredible "You'll Think of Me" for the first time and fell in love. Admittedly, I don't pay that much attention to country stars not named Carrie Underwood or Taylor Swift, but Keith is an act whose music I always try to check out, if only the singles. He's an extremely talented guitarist and songwriter - one of the very best within his genre - and a genuinely good guy from what I've gathered by watching some of his interviews and seeing him judge on American Idol. Whilst country music isn't to most non-Americans' liking, if ever you were looking for a decent country act to check out, a male especially, Keith's one of the best recommendations I'd be able to offer.
Favourite Songs:
- You'll Think of Me
- You're Not Alone Tonight
- You're Not My God
- You Look Good in My Shirt
- Kiss a Girl
- Making Memories of Us

Favourite Album: Golden Road

096. Ciara - 416 pts.

Ah, the infamous Ciara. Over the past five years it's become so easy to make fun of Ciara due to her lack of hit singles, but I think a lot of people forget just how talented a woman she is. Put most of today's prime pop stars on a stage with Ciara, and she'll absolutely school them as it pertains to dancing. Surprisingly, she has a really gorgeous voice too and some solid ballads to showcase them too, the most beautiful of which is "I Found Myself". Her best song, in my book though, will probably forever be "Like a Boy".
Favourite Songs:
- Like a Boy
- I Found Myself
- So Hard
- C.R.U.S.H.
- Got Me Good
- I'm Just Me

Favourite Album: Ciara: The Evolution

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun May 11, 2014 8:44 am

After a first look I thought this countdown would only feature female artists, nice to see that this is not the case! :D

No Doubt, Jason Derulo and Nelly Furtado had a couple of great songs though some of them are really overplayed.
Nelly's "Say It Right" is among my favourite songs from the 2000s.
Benny
Legend

Postby Haribo » Sun May 11, 2014 6:39 pm

No, the one saying she'll never be in your Top 5.

100. No Doubt

Ain't their biggest fan, but I like "Don't Speak" too.

099. Jason Derülo

I like his voice and he really has some great songs. Honestly, he deserves more success.

098. Nelly Furtado

I love her voice. "All Good Things" is one of the first songs that I loved in my music era.

097. Keith Urban

I don't think I heard his voice before today. (Some of) Your favorite Whitney songs start with "I" and your favorite Keith songs start with "You". :lol: Enough off-topic. I checked out your four favorites and I didn't mind them, nor his voice. They, or some at least, could grow on me. My ranking: You Look Good in My Shirt > You'll Think of Me > You're Not Alone Tonight > You're Not My God.

096. Ciara

I know her voice and her music isn't my cup of tea.
Haribo
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun May 11, 2014 6:40 pm

No Doubt have some lovely songs! I like Gwen better in the group. Nelly has a few I like particularly "Powerless". :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Sun May 11, 2014 9:27 pm

No Doubt is brilliant. :D Still love their "Tragic Kingdom" era ("Don't Speak" is one of my all time favourite songs) though they've remained strong ever since.

Jason Derulo has been hit or miss for me, but songs like "Whatcha Say", "In My Head", "What If", "It Girl", "Breathing", "The Other Side" and "Marry Me" have all been good.

Nelly Furtado's first three albums were all fantastic.

I'm not a huge country fan, but I do enjoy several Keith Urban songs.

Never really liked Ciara too much.
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby toni_pest » Mon May 12, 2014 9:13 am

I could never do a favorite artists countdown, definitely haven't explored enough artists for that, there's like 10 artists I know the whole discography from. Britney will be no. 1, definitely.

I love No Doubt, though I need to check them out a bit better, I prefer Gwen solo, especially after the disappointing last album. Don'tSpeak is great, though a bit overrated as I prefer Underneath It All and It's My Life to it definitely. Settle Down failed to fully grow on me, but Push and Shove got lots of love from me.

Jaaason Derulooo is someone I'd never play a whole album from, but damn, he has some great singles. In My Head is probably my favorite, followed by Talk Dirty.

Furtado is great, though a bit hit and miss, the last era was pretty disappointing singles-wise so I never bothered to play the album, which was a shame after the amazing Loose. Great song choices there, though Waiting For The Night is not up there for me it was the best single from TSI. Not sure if you know Try, but you should definitely check it out, amazing song.

Don't know anything by Keith Urban, country's not my thing.

Ciara is meh, other than 1,2 Step, Work and Goodies I don't think she released anything memorable or special. She is really hot though so I always check out her videos.
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Spartan » Wed May 14, 2014 11:51 am

Furatdo, Derulo and No Doubt all have some excellent songs but none of whom are acts I'd seek out albums from.
Keith Urban - I've heard a few songs from him and I like them, one of your picks appears in my all-time chart. 8-)
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu May 15, 2014 1:52 am

Thanks for the comments, folks. :D

Benny wrote:After a first look I thought this countdown would only feature female artists, nice to see that this is not the case! :D

No Doubt, Jason Derulo and Nelly Furtado had a couple of great songs though some of them are really overplayed.
Nelly's "Say It Right" is among my favourite songs from the 2000s.
Oh, of course not! I'm a proud diva lover, but I think people will be surprised by the number of males to be featured here. It's certainly more than I expected. :lol: The girls still rule though...which will be evidenced by the Top 20.

Glad you like a handful of jams from those three. :)

Haribo wrote:No, the one saying she'll never be in your Top 5.

100. No Doubt

Ain't their biggest fan, but I like "Don't Speak" too.

099. Jason Derülo

I like his voice and he really has some great songs. Honestly, he deserves more success.

098. Nelly Furtado

I love her voice. "All Good Things" is one of the first songs that I loved in my music era.

097. Keith Urban

I don't think I heard his voice before today. (Some of) Your favorite Whitney songs start with "I" and your favorite Keith songs start with "You". :lol: Enough off-topic. I checked out your four favorites and I didn't mind them, nor his voice. They, or some at least, could grow on me. My ranking: You Look Good in My Shirt > You'll Think of Me > You're Not Alone Tonight > You're Not My God.

096. Ciara

I know her voice and her music isn't my cup of tea.
I may have spoken prematurely there. We'll see if that comment holds up here. :wink:

Funny you should say you like Jason's voice. He got a rather low score for vocals - 75 out of 100. He has a decent enough voice, but it's nothing special. "All Goods Things (Come to an End)" was one of the very first tunes I remember loving when I really started to get into music as well. :D

You can omit that "some off". :wink: It's so true though, and I did think about that when listing my favourite Keith songs! I guess it's a testament to their personality; Whitney was more of a diva, I guess, more self-centred whereas Keith is less self-obsessive.

CrazyCrazy wrote:No Doubt have some lovely songs! I like Gwen better in the group. Nelly has a few I like particularly "Powerless". :D
Likewise. :wink:

FreakyFlyBry wrote:No Doubt is brilliant. :D Still love their "Tragic Kingdom" era ("Don't Speak" is one of my all time favourite songs) though they've remained strong ever since.

Jason Derulo has been hit or miss for me, but songs like "Whatcha Say", "In My Head", "What If", "It Girl", "Breathing", "The Other Side" and "Marry Me" have all been good.

Nelly Furtado's first three albums were all fantastic.

I'm not a huge country fan, but I do enjoy several Keith Urban songs.

Never really liked Ciara too much.
Yeah, like I said, Jason has a pretty good track record singles-wise and Keith is definitely one of the best country music has to offer.

toni_pest wrote:I could never do a favorite artists countdown, definitely haven't explored enough artists for that, there's like 10 artists I know the whole discography from. Britney will be no. 1, definitely.

I love No Doubt, though I need to check them out a bit better, I prefer Gwen solo, especially after the disappointing last album. Don'tSpeak is great, though a bit overrated as I prefer Underneath It All and It's My Life to it definitely. Settle Down failed to fully grow on me, but Push and Shove got lots of love from me.

Jaaason Derulooo is someone I'd never play a whole album from, but damn, he has some great singles. In My Head is probably my favorite, followed by Talk Dirty.

Furtado is great, though a bit hit and miss, the last era was pretty disappointing singles-wise so I never bothered to play the album, which was a shame after the amazing Loose. Great song choices there, though Waiting For The Night is not up there for me it was the best single from TSI. Not sure if you know Try, but you should definitely check it out, amazing song.

Don't know anything by Keith Urban, country's not my thing.

Ciara is meh, other than 1,2 Step, Work and Goodies I don't think she released anything memorable or special. She is really hot though so I always check out her videos.
Interesting that you're so sure about that guess. We'll see. :wink:

Yeah, I don't think any of Jason's album is worth the time, much less the money, I invested unless, of course, you're an Aussie and you want a heads-up on what will be ruling your airwaves for a few months.

I've heard "Try" and I do like it. It's not one of my absolute faves from Nelly though.

I do the same for quite a few artists. :lol:

Spartan wrote:Furatdo, Derulo and No Doubt all have some excellent songs but none of whom are acts I'd seek out albums from.
Keith Urban - I've heard a few songs from him and I like them, one of your picks appears in my all-time chart. 8-)
"You'll Think of Me" for sure! :wink:

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu May 15, 2014 3:36 am

095. Selena Gomez (& the Scene) - 417 pts.

The first of this generation's trio of Disney princesses is the oft overshadowed Miss Selena Gomez. She doesn't have Demi's pipes or Miley's wisdom to align herself with top-notch producers, but she has a sweet voice and a personality just as adorable to match. Although most people seem to have warmed up to her during her most recent era, I think her best music actually preceded Stars Dance. "Come & Get It" is a lovely song that shows off a more adult image, but my favourite Selena music will probably always be her more innocent, juvenile teen pop jams. For me, she peaked during the When the Sun Goes Down era, releasing her best single and recording her best album track (and overall song).
Favourite Songs:
- My Dilemma
- Love You Like a Love Song
- Outlaw
- Tell Me Something I Don't Know
- Slow Down
- Come & Get It
- Who Says

Favourite Album: When the Sun Goes Down

094. Ke$ha - 417 pts.

Pop music's glitter party queen Ke$ha was a breath of fresh air in the pop music scene when she debuted. Sadly, the quality of her output since then has wavered, but she's always a safe bet for some fun and catchy singles. Her ability to half-sing, half-talk her way through her music creates a technique that separates her from her peers, but in the pop music sphere dominated by some pretty major heavyweights, Ke$ha does sort of get lost in the crowd. She's a talented songwriter who knows how to write catchy hooks though, so I hope she saves some of her best stuff for herself and comes back her next era with a vengeance.
Favourite Songs:
- Your Love Is My Drug
- TiK ToK
- Warrior
- Die Young
- Take It Off
- We R Who We R
- Blind

Favourite Album: Animal

093. Britt Nicole - 424 pts.

It was just a year and some months ago that I discovered Britt Nicole through another UKMixer's (Bryan/FreakyFlyBry) chart. I randomly selected "Gold" from his weekly Top 100 list to check out and ended up falling in love with it on the very first listen. I introduced one of my friends to the song and she was so infatuated with the track that she took it upon herself to check out the rest of Britt's discography and recommend to me her favourites, even gently coaxing me to check out Gold. I'm not a huge fan of Christian pop music, but Britt's talent is undeniable and the messages in most of her music go beyond mere religious expression.
Favourite Songs:
- Gold
- Stand
- The Lost Get Found
- Ready or Not
- When She Cries
- Amazing Life
- All This Time

Favourite Album: Gold

092. Lady Antebellum - 425 pts.

Most people, myself included, first heard of this country group through their mega-hit single "Need You Now". It was there that my Lady Antebellum journey began and, to my great delight, I'd go on to find an even greater song in their discography than "Need You Now" in "I Run to You". In fact, most of their tracks from their self-titled debut album are among my favourites from them. The male and female vocal leads just harmonize so seamlessly and beautifully on most of their tracks and like most country music artists, their lyrics really sound heartfelt to the ears.
Favourite Songs:
- I Run to You
- Need You Now
- Long Gone
- Just a Kiss
- American Honey
- Home Is Where the Heart Is
- Love Don't Live Here

Favourite Album: Lady Antebellum

091. Brad Paisley - 425 pts.

The third country music act on the countdown and my favourite male in country music is Brad Paisley. Lauded by many as the prince of country music, Brad's songwriting ability is rivalled by few in the industry. His lyrics are humorous, intelligent, and, since he met his gorgeous wife Kimberly Williams, romantic.The best illustration of said talent is "Welcome to the Future", where he addresses just how far we've come as a society in terms of technology and issues such as racism. He's just as talented on the guitar and has a lovely singing voice to complete a dangerous trifecta. His greatest track, in my humble opinion, is hands-down the duet he recorded with country princess Carrie Underwood.
Favourite Songs:
- Remind Me
- Welcome to the Future
- I'm Gonna Miss Her (The Fishin' Song)
- She's Everything
- Letter to Me
- Some Mistakes
- This Is Country Music

Favourite Album: 5th Gear

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Era » Thu May 15, 2014 4:26 am

I LOVE Selena Gomez SO MUCH !!!! N with her last effort she cemented her Top 20 status in my artist's list !!! :D She was even a Top 3 artist of 2013 for me :wink: 8-)

Ke$ha would surely be in my Top 10 8-) I remember listening to Animal (specially the singles and a few other songs) the whole day back in 2010 !!! She's one of the people responsible for my immense love for the dance-pop genre :cry: Her voice is addictive AF !!!! I hope her next album is her best effort yet and slays me yet again :D
Era
Legend

Postby TheResonantIpod » Thu May 15, 2014 4:58 am

OMG I was just going to lurk the countdown, and then I saw Lady Antebellum featured in your top 100 :o :D

I'm surprised you don't have more tracks from OTN, but their debut album was solid (not surpised at all with no Golden tracks :lol: )

Thoughts on Compass? :) :D
Queen of country music...Timmy McGraw
TheResonantIpod
Manager

Postby Haribo » Thu May 15, 2014 5:13 pm

095. Selena Gomez (& the Scene)

I know her voice and I like "Love You Like a Love Song". To be honest, I dislike that she looks so young. It'll be a positive thing in twenty years, though.

094. Ke$ha

I know her voice and I like most of her successful singles.

Britt Nicole

I checked out "Gold" & "Stand". The latter was the best. She's got a cute voice.

092. Lady Antebellum

I like "Need You Now" even though it gets annoying sometimes. I just checked out "I Run to You" even though I'm sure I did on your Top 200 Songs of All-Time. Although I don't remember the score I 'd given it then, I have to say I enjoyed it more today. I checked out "Long Gone" & "Just a Kiss" too and they were okay. The former was better, though.

091. Brad Paisley

I don't know him. I checked out your three favorite songs of his and I liked "Welcome to the Future" the most. The other two songs are bit cheesy (in a country way). I don't really mind his voice.
Last edited by Haribo on Wed May 21, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haribo
Legend

Postby Benny » Thu May 15, 2014 5:49 pm

From Lady Antebellum I like "Need You Now" and "Just A Kiss". Today I discovered their new single "Bartender" and it's also quite nice. :P
I only know a few songs from Selena Gomez and "Slow Down" is the only one I like.
I used to like some tunes from Ke$ha in 2010/2011, especially "Tik Tok" & "We R Who We R", but her music has aged really badly in a very short time.
Don't know anything from neither Britt Nicole nor Brad Praisley.
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue May 20, 2014 5:08 pm

Don't like Ke$ha (and I wish Anvay would stop sending me her playlists in SongPop :lol:).
I'm in the process of checking out some of Brad Paisley's stuff 'cos he's hot, and I like it. Right up my alley.
Lady Antebellum and Selena have both had some good songs.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Era » Tue May 20, 2014 5:23 pm

Spartan wrote:Don't like Ke$ha (and I wish Anvay would stop sending me her playlists in SongPop :lol:).
Heyyy :lol:
I know that and that's why she's my special weapon 8-) my most worthy playlist <3 8-) :lol:

Sorry for the OT post Akini <3
Era
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed May 21, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys. This is moving so slowly because I'm trying to re-listen to my favourite album from each act one last time before I present them. That's turning out to be more time-consuming than I envisioned. :lol:

Era wrote:I LOVE Selena Gomez SO MUCH !!!! N with her last effort she cemented her Top 20 status in my artist's list !!! :D She was even a Top 3 artist of 2013 for me :wink: 8-)

Ke$ha would surely be in my Top 10 8-) I remember listening to Animal (specially the singles and a few other songs) the whole day back in 2010 !!! She's one of the people responsible for my immense love for the dance-pop genre :cry: Her voice is addictive AF !!!! I hope her next album is her best effort yet and slays me yet again :D
I knew you'd be happy to see Selena and Ke$ha! I think we're definitely in disagreement as to what Selena's best songs are though. :lol:

You'll like at least one act in this next set. :wink:

TheResonantIpod wrote:OMG I was just going to lurk the countdown, and then I saw Lady Antebellum featured in your top 100 :o :D

I'm surprised you don't have more tracks from OTN, but their debut album was solid (not surpised at all with no Golden tracks :lol: )

Thoughts on Compass? :) :D
I'm glad that Lady Antebellum were a pleasant surprise for you. :D Oh, I like "Compass". It's a very good song, one of their better ones for sure.

Haribo wrote:095. Selena Gomez (& the Scene)

I know her voice and I like "Love You Like a Love Song". To be honest, I dislike that she looks so young. It'll be a positive thing in twenty years, though.

094. Ke$ha

I know her voice and I like most of her successful singles.

Britt Nicole

I checked out "Gold" & "Stand". The latter was the best. She's got a cute voice.

092. Lady Antebellum

I like "Need You Now" even though it gets annoying sometimes. I just checked out "I Run to You" even though I'm sure I did on your Top 200 Songs of All-Time. Although I don't remember the score I 'd given it then, I have to say I enjoyed it more today. I checked out "Long Gone" & "Just a Kiss" too and they were okay. The former was better, though.

091. Brad Paisley

I don't know him. I checked out your three favorite songs of his and I liked "Welcome to the Future" the most. The other two songs are bit cheesy (in a country way). I don't really mind his voice.
Yeah, she really does look young and super delicate, not unlike her ex-boyfriend. :lol:

You gave "I Run to You" a 2/10 exactly eight months ago. I'm glad to hear you like it more now and good that you enjoyed "Stand" from Britt Nicole.

Ooh, really glad you liked that Brad song! Lyrically, it's his supreme track. 8-)

Benny wrote:From Lady Antebellum I like "Need You Now" and "Just A Kiss". Today I discovered their new single "Bartender" and it's also quite nice. :P
I only know a few songs from Selena Gomez and "Slow Down" is the only one I like.
I used to like some tunes from Ke$ha in 2010/2011, especially "Tik Tok" & "We R Who We R", but her music has aged really badly in a very short time.
Don't know anything from neither Britt Nicole nor Brad Praisley.
OMG, that's so true! I was listening to Animal last week and I thought to myself, "I remember liking this album way more three/four years ago." "Your Love Is My Drug" holds up best, but most of the songs I loved from her then, I just like now.

Spartan wrote:Don't like Ke$ha (and I wish Anvay would stop sending me her playlists in SongPop :lol:).
I'm in the process of checking out some of Brad Paisley's stuff 'cos he's hot, and I like it. Right up my alley.
Lady Antebellum and Selena have both had some good songs.
OMG, yes! :lol: I think I beat him in it once or twice, but he's a far bigger fan of hers than I am so it's not a fair fight.

Mess. :lol: He is quite attractive though and there are a handful of diamonds in his discography.

Era wrote:
Heyyy :lol:
I know that and that's why she's my special weapon 8-) my most worthy playlist <3 8-) :lol:

Sorry for the OT post Akini <3
The awkward moment when Rihanna's playlist isn't your special weapon. :wink:

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed May 21, 2014 5:16 pm

090. The Saturdays - 425 pts.

I think I may have referred to The Saturdays once before as a poor man's Girls Aloud, but they do have some high quality pop tunes to their title, the greatest of which was released just last year in the form of infectiously catchy "Disco Love". For the most part, I consider them a singles act, but there are one or two album tracks of theirs that stand proudly along their singles as some of their career-best concoctions.
Favourite Songs:
- Disco Love
- Notorious
- Higher
- Ego
- 30 Days
- Not Giving Up
- Here Standing
- One Shot

Favourite Album: Headlines!

089. The Wanted - 427 pts.

If I remember correctly, The Wanted were the second of the slew of British boy bands that I discovered in 2011 through Paul (phoenix98), the first being JLS and the others being One Direction and lesser, forgettable ones. I thought the guys were so handsome and "Glad You Came" had summer smash written all over it. It'd be the following year that they'd release my favourite song from them in "I Found You", but they never quite managed to record a solid album, by my standards anyway. I do love most of their music videos though. I'm usually Team 1D, but The Wanted definitely school their younger counterparts in the art of the music video, if nothing else. Oh, and they're handsomer too, without a Niall to pull down their combined attractiveness.
Favourite Songs:
- I Found You
- Chasing the Sun
- Glad You Came
- Show Me Love (America)
- Warzone
- Rocket
- Last to Know
- Lose My Mind

Favourite Album: Battleground

088. Boyz II Men - 427 pts.

The most successful R&B male group in music history, Boyz II Men ruled the airwaves in the 90s and recurrent airplay into the new millennium was rather strong too. The Boyz are one of the handful of music acts that were ever-present throughout my childhood and although some people dismiss their music as overly emotional, cheesy ballads, I think the quartet (well, now they're a trio) are terrific vocalists and their voices harmonised so well. Plus I love every one of their cheesy ballad singles. Again, they're mostly a singles act for me, but their singles helped define an era and soundtracked most of my early years.
Favourite Songs:
- End of the Road
- I'll Make Love to You
- Yesterday
- A Song for Mama
- On Bended Knee
- Water Runs Dry
- Thank You
- 50 Candles

Favourite Album: II

087. Train - 430 pts.

Train's renaissance on the charts in 2009 served as my introduction to the band. For some reason I was completely oblivious to "Drops of Jupiter" around the time of its release, but I adored "Hey, Soul Sister" and pretty much every single they've released since. Although I think Pat's a lovely singer, Train's real appeal lies in their incredible instrumentals, which are often pretty simplistic, but manage to wow me all the same. No more is this true than in my favourite song of theirs, the incredibly humorous "50 Ways to Say Goodbye".
Favourite Songs:
- 50 Ways to Say Goodbye
- Save Me, San Francisco
- Hey, Soul Sister
- Drive By
- Mermaid
- Drops of Jupiter
- Parachute
- Words

Favourite Album: Save Me, San Francisco

086. Jonas Brothers - 431 pts.

Funnily enough, I really loathed the Jonas Brothers back in the day. I just didn't get why so many girls were obsessed with them. One of their most obsessed fangirls was my best friend at the time and I suppose her constantly shoving them down my throat proved to be successful because when Lines, Vines, and Trying Times was released, I listened to it without much coaxing and enjoyed it. A Little Bit Longer remains the brothers' magnum opus, but scattered on each of their three albums (I like to pretend their first album doesn't exist) are a handful of gems. Their music is better than it's given credit for, I think.
Favourite Songs:
- World War III
- Burnin' Up
- Lovebug
- A Little Bit Longer
- Hey Baby
- Sorry
- Poison Ivy
- Tonight

Favourite Album: A Little Bit Longer

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Wed May 21, 2014 5:46 pm

I only associate two things with The Saturdays : their great single "Disco Love" from last year and the fact that Pete/ Spartan likes many of their songs. They never really made it outside the UK and Ireland, that's why I'm not familiar with their discography.

The Wanted have a couple of good songs ("Warzone", "Show Me Love (America)", "Glad You Came", "Lightning").

Boyz II Men are hit and miss for me. Many of their ballads are way too cheesy for my taste (especially "I'll Make Love To You" and that horrible duet with a certain delusive chanteuse that spent 2134346 weeks at number one in the US), "End Of The Road" and "Water Runs Dry" on the other hand are both great. They also have some good uptempo tunes ("Motownphilly", "Thank You").

Train are boring.

I've never had the slightest interest in the Jonas Brothers. I only know one of their songs, "First Time" from last year, and this one is actually pretty good (though it flopped in the charts).
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed May 21, 2014 7:24 pm

The Saturdays are obviously amazing. In terms of music, I probably do prefer Girls Aloud but, in terms of members, The Saturdays are amazing - especially Rochelle. <3 They have some incredible songs, I prefer their first three albums, their recent direction hasn't been amazing IMO.

The Wanted are awesome too. Glad You Came is probably their best song but I have to say that, even though I charted it in the 30s in my last EoY chart, Show Me Love (America) would probably be in my Top 3 songs of last year now.

Not overly fussed on the others, though Train have had a few good songs.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Haribo » Sat May 24, 2014 1:06 pm

090. The Saturdays

No, thanks!

089. The Wanted

I like "Glad You Came". I don't really know them out of that song.

088. Boyz II Men

I checked out your Top 2: both songs are so cheesy and so 90s. Good voices, though.

087. Train

The singer has a good voice and I like "Hey, Soul Sister".

086. Jonas Brothers

They are very high. I've always liked "S.O.S." :lol:
Haribo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat May 31, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys. :D

Benny wrote:I only associate two things with The Saturdays : their great single "Disco Love" from last year and the fact that Pete/ Spartan likes many of their songs. They never really made it outside the UK and Ireland, that's why I'm not familiar with their discography.

The Wanted have a couple of good songs ("Warzone", "Show Me Love (America)", "Glad You Came", "Lightning").

Boyz II Men are hit and miss for me. Many of their ballads are way too cheesy for my taste (especially "I'll Make Love To You" and that horrible duet with a certain delusive chanteuse that spent 2134346 weeks at number one in the US), "End Of The Road" and "Water Runs Dry" on the other hand are both great. They also have some good uptempo tunes ("Motownphilly", "Thank You").

Train are boring.

I've never had the slightest interest in the Jonas Brothers. I only know one of their songs, "First Time" from last year, and this one is actually pretty good (though it flopped in the charts).
I think of those two things too. :lol: I seem to love a lot of songs that people deem "too cheesy" so I guess it was a given I'd love Boyz II Men's ballads.

Train's music is more interesting than I thought it'd be! You should check out some of their singles. The instrumental alone for "50 Ways to Say Goodbye" slays.

"First Time" is pretty weak in comparison to their previous singles. If you didn't mind that, you might actually like most of their A Little Bit Longer songs.

Spartan wrote:The Saturdays are obviously amazing. In terms of music, I probably do prefer Girls Aloud but, in terms of members, The Saturdays are amazing - especially Rochelle. <3 They have some incredible songs, I prefer their first three albums, their recent direction hasn't been amazing IMO.

The Wanted are awesome too. Glad You Came is probably their best song but I have to say that, even though I charted it in the 30s in my last EoY chart, Show Me Love (America) would probably be in my Top 3 songs of last year now.

Not overly fussed on the others, though Train have had a few good songs.
I just realized that, unlike Girls Aloud, I don't know any of The Sats individually. :oops:

Their recent direction produced "Disco Love" though. :(

Yes, "Show Me Love (America)" is such a massive grower! I'll never forget dismissing it on the first listen then falling in love with it a fwe weeks later.

Haribo wrote:090. The Saturdays

No, thanks!

089. The Wanted

I like "Glad You Came". I don't really know them out of that song.

088. Boyz II Men

I checked out your Top 2: both songs are so cheesy and so 90s. Good voices, though.

087. Train

The singer has a good voice and I like "Hey, Soul Sister".

086. Jonas Brothers

They are very high. I've always liked "S.O.S." :lol:
Glad you liked those two Boyz II Men songs. Train does have a good voice and "50 Ways" is even greater than "Soul Sister", in my opinion.

I liked "S.O.S." too! It just narrowly missed my favourite songs from them.

JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts