MrLemonade's Top 100 Tori Amos Songs // finishedddd

Moderators: trebor, tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Carbon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Sooo, I think it's time to take my stanning to the predictable next level and make a top 100 list for my beloved Tori. :lol: The reason I decided to make such a long list was the fact that she has over 200 songs in her enormous catalogue spanning more than 20 years, so it would be a shame to leave out a lot of songs that couldn't make it to the top 50, as they are still pretty awesome!

In this countdown, I'll give a little description of every song, share my fave lyrics and of course post the link. That way, maybe someone unfamiliar with her work will check out certain songs based on an impression they get from the description.

I know I can be annoying with the stanning, but I sincerely hope someone else will check this out and see the beauty of her music! I also hope some fans will follow this and share their own opinions etc.

I won't include her covers, meaning no Strange Little Girls! Oh, and expect a lot of Scarlet's Walk, as it's my fave album of hers by far, and I will include almost all the songs, if not all of them.

Have in mind that my fave songs often change, and it was veeeery hard to make the list, so there. Nothing is fixed, for all I know, a song that's number 95 can easily become no. 15 in a few days/months.

Hope this doesn't flop. I can at least count on a few members to give a comment here and there. :oops:

COMING SOON
Last edited by Carbon on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 41 times in total.
Carbon
Legend

Postby leomedar » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:22 pm

I'm here 100%!!! So happy somebosy is doing a tori's list! I hope to find some similarities here! Thanks for the present :wink: Today is my birhtday (35) so to see you'll start this soon makes me glad.
leomedar
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:26 pm

8-)

I feel like I'm still getting into Tori somehow but I love many of her songs and look forward for reminders of others. :D

Happy birthday, leomedar! :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Carbon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:39 pm

Aw, happy birthday leomedar, and I'm also glad I will have an audience for this! :D

I will most likely start tomorrow with the bottom three of the top 100. Making lists is sooo hard, I feel like my preferences change every day and that I don't do justice to some songs. But oh well, gonna go with my thought of the moment and that's that. My top 10-20 is pretty firm, though!
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:08 pm

100. Comfort and Joy
Image Image

Album: Midwinter Graces
Year: 2009
LISTEN

I generally dislike this album, it is probably my least favourite Tori Amos album (not including Gold Dust which is not really a proper album anyway) due to various reasons. HOWEVER, it has an EP worth of beautiful Christmas songs that showcase that there was still good old Tori hidden beneath the mask of horrible surgery, zombie-like album covers and overproduced, cheesy Xmas songs (for more info, listen to Pink and Glitter).

Comfort and Joy is only a bonus track, but it is surely one of the saddest Christmas songs I've heard. Accompanied by only a simple piano, The way she takes some lines from the old Christmas carol and turns it into a completely new song is amazing. Might not be exactly cheerful seasonal music, but good for lonely, cold winter nights to cry your heart out . :wink:

99. Cactus Practice
ImageImage

Album: Night of Hunters
Year: 2011
LISTEN

For people who aren't familiar (like anyone's reading :lol: ), Night of Hunters is a concept/story album, as Tori is known for her persistence with concepts! In short, the story is about a woman who sees her relationship fall apart and she meets lots of weird magical characters who help her deal with the problems. In Cactus Practice, the protagonist is inducted into a weird ritual with hallucinogens, and the lyrics are basically a rather bizarre and funny mix of the woman's dilemmas and weird drug-induced trips.

She duets with her daughter, Tash (who plays the creature Annabelle), and the arrangements, which are really lovely, are based on Chopin's Nocturne, Op. 9, No. 1 (doesn't mean anything to me as I'm not a classical music fan, but to those who love classical music, this whole album is interesting to hear). I think is not really a fan favourite, but I find it one of the more interesting ones on the album!

98. Body and Soul
ImageImage

Album: American Doll Posse
Year: 2007
LISTEN

Here is one of the few "rock Tori" songs! Coming from the messy concept album American Doll Posse, the song is supposed to be sung by Pip and Santa, two of the dolls. To me, the whole concept is pretty nonsensical in terms of album cohesiveness, but the song is still a pretty good one.

It tackles the usual Tori themes of organized religion, violence etc., but does it in a different way. Instead of a usually delicate, haunting delivery, she opts here for a more energetic, sexual and agressive approach. Funny because despite the "agression", the message is mostly about choosing love and sensuality over violence and war. It's one of her more accessible songs to new listeners, especially if they are fans of more rockier stuff.
Carbon
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:40 pm

100. Comfort and Joy - It sounds kinda dark considering the title. :lol: It's a good song, peaceful, need to spend more time with this album.
99. Cactus Practice - It's pretty, I like her daughter's voice but prefer Tori's vocals of course as she has more grit (which is understandable considering how young Tash is).
98. Body and Soul - It's infectious.

Hope you don't neglect The Beekeeper album and Hoochie Woman. :lol: :oops:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Carbon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:53 pm

Re: Comfort and Joy - yes, that's why I love it, the title reminds you of the nice old Xmas carol and then BAM you're listening and crying :lol: don't really bother with the album tbh, maybe 4, 5 songs are good imo, the rest is embarrassing. there is one more from the album later in the countdown though

Re: Beekeeper - don't worry, I love the album and there will be a lot of songs! not Hoochie Woman though, that one is near the bottom of my all time list tbh :lol:

btw, I hope you and leomedar like the presentation of this, it takes SUCH a long time to make everything, but I really enjoy looking at it all nice and systematic 8-)
Carbon
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Hoochie Woman is really good imo. :lol: :D :(

I've heard Midwinter Graces and thought it sounded good tbh, just need to listen to it more.

The presentation is perfect Nik. :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby leomedar » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:26 pm

Great job with the presentation!!! I like the lyrics part!

So far, the first two songs are nice but I think they are ok at this rank.
I like Body and Soul a lot.

I hope to find Siren somewhere here!
leomedar
Legend

Postby Carbon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:41 pm

97. Talula
Image Image

Album: Boys for Pele
Year: 1996
LISTEN

Here's an oldie for a change! I am really not sure on the entire meaning of this. Boys for Pele is where she went full-on with experimenting and more unconventional song structures, instruments and lyrics. Especially the lyrics. She references a lot of things here, including Marie Antoanette, Ann Boleyn, Mary Magdalene etc., and most of them are stabs at the patriarchy. The song is largely accompanied by the harpsichord, which I personally love as an instrument.

The main idea is probably seen most in the chorus - loss of someone, or a relationship. Basically, even if you're feeling devastated and empty after the loss of certain relationships or people in your life, you should value what you had, what those experiences gave you and learn to accept people coming and going in your life, because it must be worth losing if it's worth something.

96. Snow Angel
ImageImage

Album: Midwinter Graces
Year: 2009
LISTEN

Another Christmas song, but I promise this is the last one. :lol: Anyway, this is also a pretty heartwarming and melancholic tune. I adore the simple arrangement with the piano and strings. The lyrics are also really simple, and there isn't much to dechiper in them.

I just understand the song as literally being about a snow angel, or maybe something the angel symbolises, like winter, fun, childhood etc. The part "she will stay for a time" is so touching, despite being literal - the fun people have in winter, all the nostalgia, traces of youth, family,etc. that come with making snow angels on Christmas are in the end just temporary.

95. Purple People
ImageImage

Album: Spark (single)
Year: 1998
LISTEN

Although only a B-side, Purple People has got to be one of her classic songs! Widely loved among fans, it is considered one of many hidden masterpieces of her opus. Coming from the Choirgirl era, the song is dark, atmospheric and eerie! Lyrically it is one of two (to my knowledge, maybe there's more) songs explicitly dealing with jealousy. I will let you guess the other song, but it will appear much higher in this list anyway. :D Jealousy/envy is something I've been struggling with for a looong time, but more on that in the other track's description as that one had an even more profound effect on me.

" [...] my friend Tam was telling me a story about a girl named Betsy Brown who used to torture her and come up to her.. She does this thing, she used to come up to me and go, 'Hi, I'm Betsy Brown, do you do judo? I do judo.' And I went into the studio and this kind of happened..." Tori on how the song was birthed.

In the line about thunder wishing she was snow, the metaphor is perfectly clear: someone wishing they were someone else, despite the fact that thunder may be considered powerful/energetic, and snow as cold/sad. In the eyes of the person who is envious, the Other is better regardless of what the reality might be.
Carbon
Legend

Postby mattsky » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:02 pm

I love Purple People. I hope Cooling, Honey, Ruby, Sugar and Not David Bowie are somewhere in your top 100 :D
Haven't been early since '88
mattsky
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:22 pm

mattsky wrote:I love Purple People. I hope Cooling, Honey, Ruby, Sugar and Not David Bowie are somewhere in your top 100 :D
Unfortunately, you only got 1 right :oops: I know, it's so harsh not to have some of them because I like all you mentioned, but narrowing down to top 100 was really hard, and I wanted to represent all albums with at least 2, 3 best songs!

Do you fancy the other songs so far? :D
Carbon
Legend

Postby Vindrag » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Following. Will try and comment. Godess Tori.

Purple People :'(
Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
and you are no exception
Vindrag
Legend

Postby Carbon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:00 pm

Nice to see you back Vindrag, where were you? You were gone during the new album hype for Geraldines :( Did you ultimately like the album?
Carbon
Legend

Postby Vindrag » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:19 pm

I will try and come back and share everything
. Toris Concert in Oslo was beyond..... But tonight its Kate!! I can't handle the emotions the emotions, just like when Tori performed 1000 Oceans..... Thinking
Luc

and you are no exception
Vindrag
Legend

Postby Vindrag » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Well hey do you do judo :'(
Luc

and you are no exception
Vindrag
Legend

Postby mattsky » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:25 pm

mrlemonade wrote:
mattsky wrote:I love Purple People. I hope Cooling, Honey, Ruby, Sugar and Not David Bowie are somewhere in your top 100 :D
Unfortunately, you only got 1 right :oops: I know, it's so harsh not to have some of them because I like all you mentioned, but narrowing down to top 100 was really hard, and I wanted to represent all albums with at least 2, 3 best songs!

I like them but non of them would make my top 100 :)))
Maybe someday I'll post my own top 100 :D That's a good idea! BTW I would love a huge "top 100 of Tori Amos" survivor with eveyone submitting their own top 50/100 :)))
mattsky
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:33 pm

mattsky wrote:
mrlemonade wrote:

I like them but non of them would make my top 100 :)))
Maybe someday I'll post my own top 100 :D That's a good idea! BTW I would love a huge "top 100 of Tori Amos" survivor with eveyone submitting their own top 50/100 :)))
I'd love that too, have been thinking about it for a while. Unfortunately, I don't know if there are enough fans here! Or if we are allowed to do artist countdowns lol. But I'd love to see your list!

First I wanted to make only my top 50, but there's just too many songs to ignore. hell, I'd extend this to top 150, but it would be too much :lol:
Carbon
Legend

Postby Chun » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:18 pm

Vindrag, good to see you back on here. I will follow this as well.
Chun
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:48 am

Yay thanks for the positive response! The next three songs later today
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Here is the next batch of songs... sorry for the delay and the shorter descriptions for some songs. There's some shitty college stuff that has come up in my life and I don't have a lot of energy. The horrible depressing weather is not helping, as well. Anyway, enjoy!

94. Pretty Good Year
Image Image

Album: Under the Pink
Year: 1994
LISTEN

The amazing opener of her sophomore album Under the Pink. I reckon playing the album and hearing this when it came out was a big enough proof that she wasn't gonna have a sophomore slump! It's quite a beautiful song, and one everyone can relate to. Growing up too quickly, time passing, the realizations of unhappiness with your life, ... The "pretty good year" of the title is actually said cynically here, as people console themselves when they aren't in fact happy with how the year went.

93. Flying Dutchman
ImageImage

Album: China (single)
Year: 1992
LISTEN

Another B-side I really love. Its message is not too far away from Pretty Good Year, but has a somewhat different perspective on it. It's all about growing up and having your ideas, dreams and creativity stifled by society. The grand, orchestral arrangement makes this message translate so well into the whole mood, lifts it up, and really turns it into a feel-good song. I could also compare it to mainstream self-help triteness like Firework, but this is superior in every way. Makes you actually want to take that trip in that rocket ship.

Tori remade this song on the orchestral collection Gold Dust, but did not improve on it in any way (much like most of the songs there).

92. General Joy
ImageImage

Album: The Beekeeper
Year: 2005
LISTEN

This is an often forgotten song. Among 19/20 songs on the overlong The Beekeeper, General Joy just kinda blends in with the whole light, polished and sugary atmosphere of the album. Still, its chorus features some of my favourite lyrics by Tori! I think the song has a dual meaning: political and romantic.

Although the political references are more obvious, I will start with the love theme first. I think it's about someone ("General Joy") who is in a relationship with someone they don't love ("Happiness"). Instead of "changing his wife/hair" - basically making a change in his life, he gives Happiness the dress of Sadness, trying to make her different, according to his will and taste. He doesn't realize that she is her own, she can't be someone else, and when she tries to be (puts on Sadness' dress), she is unhappy.

One can easily translate it to the political world. To put it simply, why assert your will agressively, by war and conflict? If you don't like something, make a change, "the possibilities are endless". Forcing something only makes it worse, and you will get what you want, but at what price?
Carbon
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:17 pm

I consider myself a Tori Amos fan, but seeing your top 100 packed with B sides I barely know makes me realize I don't know nothing about this lady! She has such a discography!

Pretty Good Year is one of my first big favourites out here. But as I still have to make my own ranking of Tori's songs I don't know if something like this will happen to me too, to find GREAt songs in positions such as 94 which may give the reader the feeling that the song is not good.
leomedar
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Well, now you'll discover some great B-sides then! :D

Actually, I've left out so many good B-sides because making the list was really hard! And you might be shocked throughout the countdown when some classic songs appear "low" like PGY did, but my list is a pretty even mix of everything from her earliest famous hits to some forgotten latter-day album tracks!

I also kinda feel bad when placing such songs low, but I want to point out the beauty of even her least-known songs that people might ignore because they aren't from the 90s or sth like that.
Carbon
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Love all 3 of those particularly Pretty Good Year, I love the reflective feeling of it.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby mattsky » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:11 pm

I love all 3. They would make my top 100.

Pretty Good Year sounds so good live
mattsky
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts