We Will Always Love You: Top 100 Whitney Songs (100-02)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

From which album will the #1 song come from?

Whitney Houston
17%
Whitney
17%
I'm Your Baby Tonight
11%
The Bodyguard
33%
Waiting to Exhale
No votes
The Preacher's Wife
No votes
My Love Is Your Love
11%
Just Whitney...
No votes
I Look to You
11%

Total votes : 18

Postby GetBack » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:44 am

Whitney Houston was an American entertainer, producer and philanthropist. Hailing from New Jersey, Houston began her career as a soloist in her gospel choir at age eleven. In her teens, she worked as a fashion model, becoming one of the first women of color to grace the cover of Seventeen magazine, as well as in layouts in popular fashion magazines like Glamour and Cosmopolitan.

In 1985, she released her eponymous debut studio album to huge critical and commercial success. Whitney Houston included four Top 5 singles in which three ("Saving All My Love for You", "How Will I Know" and "Greatest Love of All") were number-one singles in the Billboard Hot 100. Houston's success in the mainstream continued to flourish by the release of her sophomore album Whitney, as she delivered hit-after-hit with four more number-one singles ("I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)", "Didn't We Almost Have It All", "So Emotional" and "Where Do Broken Hearts Go"), earning her the record of having the most consecutive number-one hits in the Hot 100 singles chart, beating the previous shared record held by The Beatles and the Bee Gees (which was six each).

Houston dominated the nineties with the success of her third studio album I'm Your Baby Tonight, which earned her two more number-one singles ("I'm Your Baby Tonight" and "All the Man That I Need"). In 1992, she played the main female character in The Bodyguard opposite Kevin Costner, and its soundtrack experienced massive success. The seventeen-time platinum-selling soundtrack included Top 40 hits like "Run to You", as well as "I'm Every Woman" and "I Have Nothing" which both reached the Top 5, but the biggest and most-successful single from the soundtrack album was Houston's remake of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" which became Houston's tenth number-one single and her signature song. "I Will Always Love You" topped the Hot 100 for fourteen weeks (which held the record then for the longest number-one single) and eventually won Houston the awards for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance and Record of the Year in the 1993 Grammy Awards.

Houston continued to act in films throughout the nineties, starring in films like Waiting to Exhale and The Preacher's Wife, in which she also contributed her vocals in both soundtracks. In 1998, Houston released My Love Is Your Love, her first studio album in eight years, to commercial success. The album produced three Top 5 hits ("Heartbreak Hotel", "It's Not Right but It's Okay" and "My Love Is Your Love") as well as the Top 20 hit "When You Believe", (a duet with singer Mariah Carey which was originally from The Prince of Egypt soundtrack), the album's lead single which also went on to win an Academy Award for Best Original Song. With over 170 million records sold worldwide, Houston's success cemented her legacy as one of the most influential female artists in pop music.

By the turn of the new millennium, Houston released The Greatest Hits, a two-disc compilation containing all her biggest hit singles, as well as new material recorded with artists like George Michael, Enrique Iglesias and Deborah Cox. Two years later, she released her platinum-selling album Just Whitney..., her first studio album after renewing her contract with Arista for a record-breaking $100 million. The following year, she released One Wish: A Holiday Album which reached Gold status. Houston released her final studio album I Look to You in 2009, which saw her return to the top of the Billboard 200 albums chart. In the fall of 2011, Houston returned to acting in the film Sparkle which was scheduled for a 2012 release. Also during that time, Houston recorded her final songs "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" and "Celebrate" (a duet with Jordin Sparks) for the film's soundtrack before her untimely passing in February of 2012.

Undoubtedly, Whitney Houston remains to be one of the most sought-after entertainers of all time. I cannot imagine how music will be without her voice and artistry. This Top 100 chart celebrates Whitney's outstanding songs throughout the years. I hope you will enjoy my personal chart.
Last edited by GetBack on Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:52 am, edited 24 times in total.
GetBack
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:10 pm

I'm so looking forward to this and hope to see my favourite tunes high up the ranks.
stevyy
Legend

Postby DOSSOME » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Let's start
Errr...Nice attempt but sit anyway
DOSSOME
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:05 pm

100. I BOW OUT
"I Bow Out" is a Diane Warren-penned track from My Love Is Your Love. It's not really a stand-out in the album for me and I think Diane has definitely written better material for Whitney and any other artist in general.

099. YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE
Whitney recorded her version of "You Light Up My Life" for the Just Whitney... album. I feel like it was the wrong song to remake, especially after LeAnn's version which became popular in the 1990s. Whitney also sounds that she's hurrying up in singing the verses.

098. ONE WISH (FOR CHRISTMAS)
The second Whitney remake to appear in my countdown is "One Wish (for Christmas)" which is taken from Whitney's holiday album entitled One Wish: A Holiday Album. Even though I think it's a decent cover of the Freddie Jackson original, I felt like it was a weak single to promote her holiday album.

097. OH YES
Another track from the My Love Is Your Love album, the song "Oh Yes" was co-written by Missy Elliott. The song's intro has the same feel as Destiny's Child's "Confessions" (a song Missy also co-wrote) which came out a year later. I think the song is somewhat draggy especially towards the middle.

096. NEVER GIVE UP
Written by Jermaine Dupri, Bryan-Michael Cox and Johntá Austin, the song "Never Give Up" is the only new song to be featured in the 2012 compilation I Will Always Love You: The Very Best of Whitney Houston. The song's message is very positive and uplifting but I think the song doesn't have that much energy in it. The sudden fade out towards the end seems like the song was accidentally cut short.
GetBack
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:34 pm

Ah, I'll be following this! I voted for My Love Is Your Love in the poll, by the way.

I love "I Bow Out"! The chorus is just divine. Whitney delivers it exquisitely. It takes some getting into, though. It wasn't an initial favourite of mine.

"You Light Up My Life", "One Wish (For Christmas)", and "Never Give Up" are forgettable. I like "Oh Yes", but I agree with you on it getting draggy in the middle.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:02 am

095. IN MY BUSINESS (featuring Missy Elliott)
Obviously this song is Whitney's message to the critics and media "up in her business" most especially when it comes to her personal life. I feel like it's just an average track in My Love Is Your Love despite being a collaboration with Missy Elliott.

094. FOR THE LOVERS
Produced the Nate "Danja" Hills, this track is the first song from I Look to You to appear in my personal chart, I feel that this is one of the filler tracks. It's monotonous all throughout and very forgettable.

093. HIGHER LOVE
"Higher Love" is a Japanese bonus track from I'm Your Baby Tonight. It has a similar inspirational vibe as Mariah Carey's "There's Got to Be a Way". I think it's not a bad track but it's nothing really special.

092. LOVE IS A CONTACT SPORT
This song is one of those bouncy, teenybopper tracks from her heyday. I think it's definitely the weakest song from the Whitney album.

091. TELL ME NO
Co-written by Whitney's longtime producer and friend Babyface, the song pales in comparison to other tracks from the Just Whitney... album. Whitney's voice also sounds strained at some parts.
GetBack
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:46 am

Love Is A Contact Sport and Oh Yes are my faves thus far
NothingFails
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:38 am

090. I GOT YOU
Co-written by Whitney herself, this song which was produced by Akon, is the tenth track from I Look to You. I feel like it doesn't really go anywhere except for the "I'll be there, I'll be there" line which is the catchiest part of the song.

089. GET IT BACK
You can tell immediately from the moment this song played that it's produced by none other than Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins. It sounds like Brandy's "Top of the World" meets Jennifer Lopez' "If You Had My Love" which he both wrote and produced as well.

088. THINKING ABOUT YOU
"Thinking About You" would probably be best known today as a promo single from Whitney's debut album Whitney Houston. Despite having no promotional video to accompany its release, the song peaked at #10 in the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.

087. I WAS MADE TO LOVE HIM
Originally a hit single by superstar Stevie Wonder (entitled "I Was Made to Love Her"), Lauryn Hill produced Whitney's cover version for My Love Is Your Love. I feel like it would fit more if Lauryn recorded it for The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill album more than having Whitney record it.

086. I'M KNOCKIN'
The song is popularly known as the first song Whitney co-produced for her own album. It's more of a filler track since I'm Your Baby Tonight has a lot of strong songs. I think the Japanese bonus track "Higher Love" (despite being a weak song) would have been a better album closer than this.
GetBack
Legend

Postby biscuits » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:54 am

I knew this would be a GetBack countdown.

I don't mind the album tracks from MLIYL
biscuits
The Diva

Postby DOSSOME » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:03 am

I too don't mind the MLIYL tracks...I love For The Lovers
Errr...Nice attempt but sit anyway
DOSSOME
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:44 am

Thank you guys for all the comments! :D :D

biscuits wrote:I knew this would be a GetBack countdown.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
GetBack
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:31 pm

085. CELEBRATE (with Jordin Sparks)
Released as the first single from the Sparkle soundtrack, "Celebrate" is the final song recorded by Whitney Houston before her death in February of 2012. Written and produced by R. Kelly, the song is a collaboration between Whitney and former American Idol winner Jordin Sparks, who portrayed the title role. Although it's a bit underwhelming for me, I really like the uplifting vibe surrounding it. They also made a music video tribute to Whitney including the whole cast which you can watch here.

084. WHO DO YOU LOVE
Co-written and produced by Luther Vandross, "Who Do You Love" is one of the fun, pop-dance tracks in the I'm Your Baby Tonight album. Though it wasn't released as a single, I think it's a stand-out in the album.

083. JESUS LOVES ME
"Jesus Loves Me" is a Christian hymn written by Anna Bartlett Warner, and the tune was created by William Batchelder Bradbury two years later. The song was part of the soundtrack of The Bodyguard. I am not too fond of this song as compared to the official soundtrack singles that Whitney performed.

082. WHERE YOU ARE
Though this isn't one of my favorite songs from the Whitney album, she sounds so good in this song. Her tone is so soothing especially when she transitions from her natural voice to head tone. She does it so effortlessly. It would probably do well if it were released as a single back then.

081. MY HEART IS CALLING
"My Heart Is Calling" is the third and final single released from the soundtrack of The Preacher's Wife. I like the song but it constantly reminds me of the ice skating scene where Whitney's character (who was the preacher's wife) was starting to fall for Denzel Washington's character, who portrayed Dudley, the angel. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, you can watch the scene here.
Last edited by GetBack on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
GetBack
Legend

Postby TheRealest » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:41 pm

For The Lovers should have been a single. A stand out from that album.

Get It Back is one of the best songs on MLIYL.

I love I Got You, it's like an updated version of MYIYL.

My Heart Is Calling is a really cute song.

I love her version of Jesus Loves Me, she sounds like an angel. :cry:
TheRealest
The Queen

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:48 pm

I need to actually check out some of her albums...I only have "I look To You" and the greatest hits. I also have some random album tracks I skimmed over and like.

I enjoyed her cover of You Light Up My Life though.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby GetBack » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:12 am

Thank you for the comments! :D :D

ThaInfo1 wrote:I need to actually check out some of her albums...I only have "I look To You" and the greatest hits. I also have some random album tracks I skimmed over and like.
You might want to check out My Love Is Your Love and Just Whitney... :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby GetBack » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:06 am

080. I LOVES YOU PORGY/AND I AM TELLING YOU I'M NOT GOING/I HAVE NOTHING (MEDLEY)
Thanks to the Whitney Houston Live: Her Greatest Performances compilation album and we finally have a proper audio recording of this amazing performance performed live at the 1994 American Music Awards. It's Whitney at her peak, I will never get tired of listening to this live medley.

079. UNTIL YOU COME BACK
I think this song sounds like it was recorded for Waiting to Exhale soundtrack. It has the signature Babyface production stamp all over it and it seems to be the "I Have Nothing" of this album.

078. SOMEBODY BIGGER THAN YOU AND I (with Bobby Brown, Faith Evans, Johnny Gill, Monica & Ralph Tresvant)
I really loved that Whitney collaborated with a lot of artists on this track particularly Faith Evans and Monica. Compared to other songs, this one is more radio-friendly than the other gospel tracks.

077. MY LOVE (featuring Bobby Brown)
Taken from the Just Whitney... album, this one is another collaboration between Whitney and her husband Bobby Brown. There's no doubt they're both talented, but this song is really disappointing because of the lyrics. It's still quite catchy for me.

076. I GO TO THE ROCK (with the Georgia Mass Choir)
This is one of the fiercest renditions of "I Go to the Rock". Whitney does it so good live, you can really see how moved she was when she did gospel songs. This performance where she plays along with her band while singing this song is one of her best performances.
GetBack
Legend

Postby GetBack » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:42 am

075. TRY IT ON MY OWN
"Try It On My Own" or "Own My Own" (as it is known in the international version) is the third single from the Just Whitney... album. The song sounds like an attempt to recapture the feel of Whitney's signature power ballads but I think it kinda falls flat. I do think that it would have worked as a lead single better than any song from the album.

074. TAKIN' A CHANCE
"Takin' a Chance" is a song that reminds me so much of Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror" especially in the chorus. It only appears in the Japanese version of the I'm Your Baby Tonight album.

073. SOMEONE FOR ME
Whitney promoted this song a lot during her first year as an artist. Aside from "Thinking About You", it's the only uptempo song from her debut album. Whitney looks so funny dancing to the song in many of her promo appearances.

072. FINE
"Fine" is one of four new songs in The Greatest Hits compilation that was released in 2000. For me, it's an okay song, it's definitely the weakest out of the four new songs on that album.

071. SALUTE
"Salute" is the closing track from I Look to You. It was written by R. Kelly and co-produced by Harvey Mason, Jr. I think that it's a great song overall but it sounds a little empty (and lacking) in some parts.
GetBack
Legend

Postby GetBack » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:40 am

070. HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW
Whitney's rendition of "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" is really touching. I think it's really moving especially if you have watched her scene in the movie Sparkle where she sings this in church.

069. YOU WERE LOVED
This song from The Preacher's Wife reminds me of "Greatest Love of All" especially in the lyrics. I think it's a bit overlooked by many.

068. ANYMORE
"Anymore" sounds like something Janet Jackson would record for Control. I love the upbeat nature of the song though I think its production is a bit dated to be in a 1990s album.

067. I LOVE THE LORD
This song is probably Whitney's finest vocal performance in The Preacher's Wife. I think it deserved to be a single.

066. YOU'LL NEVER STAND ALONE
This song sounds like Whitney's version of "For You I Will". Both songs were actually written by Diane Warren. The lyrics and production of both songs are very similar to each other.
Last edited by GetBack on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GetBack
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:20 am

You're moving so quickly!

"Love Is a Contact Sport" is too low! It was an instant earworm the first time I spun Whitney.

I actually don't like "Celebrate" much, despite the fact that two of my favourite voices ever are on the track. It's just too uneventful and forgettable for my liking.

"I Go to the Rock" is my favourite gospel song from Whitney. She really had this incredible ability to bring to life the lyrics of a song, and it's exemplified in her rendition of this track.

I agree with what you wrote about "Try It on My Own". It's nice, but completely forgettable among Whitney's bigger and brighter ballads. "You Were Loved" is good, and very underrated. I like "I Love the Lord" too.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby TheRealest » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:20 pm

I love I Go To The Rock & Salute.

I Love The Lord is one of my favs from her. It brings tears to my eyes!

You Were Loved is really good, ironically I wish she would have listened to the lyrics she sang...
TheRealest
The Queen

Postby stevyy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:49 am

I Got You is underrated.. my favourite whitney classic from the past decade. :cry:
stevyy
Legend

Postby biscuits » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:57 am

'Try It On My Own' was nice. Meaningful video too.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby GetBack » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:59 am

065. FOR THE LOVE OF YOU
I really loved the laid-back vibe of this song, it's so soothing to listen to. Whitney's soft tone here is breathtaking. I feel like I'm in a hotel in some summer destination when I hear this song.

064. NOBODY LOVES ME LIKE YOU DO (with Jermaine Jackson)
Of the three duets Whitney had with Jermaine Jackson, I must say that this one is the most standard-sounding, it could have been a single at that time. It sounds like something Dionne Warwick would record.

063. UNASHAMED
I really like this song from the Just Whitney album. I think this is her most solid vocal performance in that album. I feel like it's definitely far stronger than "You Light Up My Life" as a closing track.

062. JOY (with the Georgia Mass Choir)
Another one from The Preacher's Wife, I loved this rendition of "Joy". The chorus is so infectious, it makes me want to sing along to the choir parts most especially.

061. A SONG FOR YOU (Live from Welcome Home Heroes with Whitney Houston)
I really love this rendition of "A Song for You" which she sung live in her Welcome Home Heroes with Whitney Houston concert in 1991. Aside from the vocals, I love that she was accompanied by a saxophone and piano. How I wish Whitney recorded a live album back in the day.
GetBack
Legend

Postby GetBack » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:14 am

060. IF YOU SAY MY EYES ARE BEAUTIFUL (with Jermaine Jackson)
This was never released as a single but since it was included in The Greatest Hits which i always played, I already got fond of this song.

059. HE'S ALL OVER ME (with the Georgia Mass Choir)
I really love the chorus for this song, it really makes me want to stand up and dance along.

058. THINGS YOU SAY
I think this type of song suited Whitney's current vocal condition at that time, I really like the arrangement of the song.

057. WORTH IT
This sounds a bit like Mariah Carey's "Bye Bye". I think it's one of the best songs from the album. It's really mellow and I like the vocal group singing in the chorus so much.

056. I BELONG TO YOU
Probably one of the most overlooked Whitney singles, "I Belong to You" was the third single from I'm Your Baby Tonight. It sounds like a lounge song in the late eighties/early nineties.
GetBack
Legend

Postby AlmondBreeze » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:48 pm

Thank you for doing this chart. Giving me great memories PLUS introducing me to some new songs/performances for me to track down (which for all intents and purposes is like getting brand new Whitney material - Praise the Lord !!!)
AlmondBreeze
Manager

Return to Personal Charts