We Will Always Love You: Top 100 Whitney Songs (100-02)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

From which album will the #1 song come from?

Whitney Houston
17%
Whitney
17%
I'm Your Baby Tonight
11%
The Bodyguard
33%
Waiting to Exhale
No votes
The Preacher's Wife
No votes
My Love Is Your Love
11%
Just Whitney...
No votes
I Look to You
11%

Total votes : 18

Postby GetBack » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:48 am

Nippian93 wrote:Awesome list, so many beautiful songs in one place. Can't wait to see the first seven.
Thank you! :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:20 pm

07. I'M EVERY WOMAN
Taken from: The Bodyguard: Music from the Motion Picture

One of Whitney's most exciting singles is her cover of the Chaka Khan classic, "I'm Every Woman". Just like her take on Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You", she made this song her own. Her live performance of the song from The Concert for a New South Africa in 1994 is remarkable. That version can be found in Whitney Houston Live: Her Greatest Performances.

06. GREATEST LOVE OF ALL
Taken from: Whitney Houston

This song is probably one of the most performed songs in local singing contests. It's indeed one of the pioneer power ballads with intricate technicalities when it comes to vocal belting. Despite being another cover, Whitney popularized the song even more during the eighties and became her second #1 single in the Billboard Hot 100.

05. ONE MOMENT IN TIME
Taken from: 1988 Summer Olympics Album - One Moment in Time

Another one of Whitney's vocal masterpieces, "One Moment in Time" became one of her biggest hits worldwide. As it was the lad single from the 1988 Summer Olympics Album: One Moment in Time soundtrack album, it had the inspirational message fitting the mood of the Olympics. I think it's one of Whitney's most intense performances, there seems to be a climactic moment in every part of the song.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:44 pm

How will I know is great

One Moment in my time is my most hated Whitney song ever
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:12 am

"Could I Have This Kiss Forever" is nice, but forgettable. Similarly, "Count on Me" and "Run to You" aren't bad, but they lack that special touch Whitney's best work had.

"Heartbreak Hotel" is so smooth. I wasn't crazy about it when I was younger, but I really adore it now.

"Where Do Broken Hearts Go" is a standard big ballad from Whitney, but it pales in comparison to some of her other ones...such as "Didn't We Almost Have It All", which is just a tremendous vocal performance from the Voice.

"I'm Your Baby Tonight" is Whitney's greatest uptempo cut; its criminally underrated! "All at Once" is also ridiculously underrated. I agree with most of what you wrote about it.

"When You Believe" is easily my favourite duet of all-time, and quite frankly, one of the most uplifting anthems I've ever heard! It always manages to calm me. It's deservedly high here. :D

I can't even imagine Janet tackling "How Will I Know". :lol: I'm glad it went to Whitney; she did a remarkable job with it, though I do think it's slightly overrated. My mother adores it.

I actually prefer Chaka Khan's "I'm Every Woman" to Whitney's, which is probably the only case of Whitney not outdoing the original artist (for me anyway).

"Greatest Love of All" is exceptional, and definitely among Whitney's top tier ballads. I play it often around Valentine's Day. :lol: "One Moment in Time" is similarly classic and special.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:14 am

Love all of the last three, I am not going to review each song individually since each one is amazing and among my favourites (like all her songs), great list once again and can't wait to see the top four.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby GetBack » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:40 pm

04. IT'S NOT RIGHT BUT IT'S OKAY
Taken from: My Love Is Your Love

This powerful anthem had Whitney dealing with heartbreak in her fiercest! Everything about this song was on point, Rodney Jerkins could not go wrong during this period. The music video was flawless, Whitney's presence was commanding as ever, and the scene where all the girls were singing along to the chorus towards the end was genius. The My Love Is Your Love was indeed an endearing era for Whitney fans who have long awaited her proper return, the songs, the styling, and the visuals were all amazing.
GetBack
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Ah, "It's Not Right but It's Okay" is a classic. It's aged so well, and the video is special too, probably Whitney's finest.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby GetBack » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:29 pm

03. SAVING ALL MY LOVE FOR YOU
Taken from: Whitney Houston

This sensual ballad stands out from the rest of Whitney's ballad-driven discography. Tagged as a "mistress anthem", it's probably the only Whitney song to dabble such a controversial theme. The song alone is a classic, I love the cool, soulful vibe in the arrangement. The great thing about Whitney's singing is that it varies from being to soft to strong throughout. The single made history as it scored many firsts in Whitney's career, it was her first number-one single in both the United States and in the United Kingdom, and it was also her first performance to score a Grammy win.
GetBack
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:33 pm

The verses on "Saving All My Love for You" are really well-written, so it's one of her most balanced ballads, too.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:52 am

02. I WANNA DANCE WITH SOMEBODY (WHO LOVES ME)
Taken from: Whitney

One of the most nostalgic songs of the eighties, "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)" is definitely one infectious tune, it definitely made Whitney's ballad-driven discography a lot more colorful. The song became Whitney's biggest single until "I Will Always Love You". It topped the US and UK charts and won her the Grammy for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. It's definitely one of Whitney's signature hits and it never gets old.
GetBack
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:11 pm

"I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)" is probably my second favourite Whitney song, too, and my future first dance song. 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts