We Will Always Love You: Top 100 Whitney Songs (100-02)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

From which album will the #1 song come from?

Whitney Houston
17%
Whitney
17%
I'm Your Baby Tonight
11%
The Bodyguard
33%
Waiting to Exhale
No votes
The Preacher's Wife
No votes
My Love Is Your Love
11%
Just Whitney...
No votes
I Look to You
11%

Total votes : 18

Postby GetBack » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:46 am

AlmondBreeze wrote:Thank you for doing this chart. Giving me great memories PLUS introducing me to some new songs/performances for me to track down (which for all intents and purposes is like getting brand new Whitney material - Praise the Lord !!!)
You're very welcome, I'm glad you like my chart! :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby GetBack » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:27 am

055. JUST THE LONELY TALKING AGAIN
Listening to the Whitney album, I think this is the wrong song to follow "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)" (it's actually sandwiched between that song and "Love Will Save the Day") but that doesn't mean that it's a bad song. It's a sassy, bluesy ballad which showcases the softer side of Whitney.

054. LOVE THAT MAN
This is one of the happy songs from the Just Whitney... album. It has this fun, throwback sound. It would have been amazing if they pushed this as a commercial single with a video to match.

053. SAME SCRIPT, DIFFERENT CAST (with Deborah Cox)
Taken from The Greatest Hits, this song has a similar concept to Brandy and Monica's "The Boy Is Mine". I think this could have been better, the verses and the bridge are a bit weak. Nevertheless, Whitney and Deborah made this an epic showdown of powerhouse vocals.

052. WE DIDN'T KNOW (with Stevie Wonder)
One of the highlights from the I'm Your Baby Tonight album would be this duet between Whitney and Stevie Wonder. It's a shame that it wasn't properly released. There's no music video made for the song as well.

051. LOVER FOR LIFE
I really love the laid-back, calming vibe in this song. The production is a mix of R&B and jazz and I enjoy listening to Whitney's soothing, soft vocals on it. It could have worked as a great single actually.
GetBack
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:42 am

050. JOY TO THE WORLD (with the Georgia Mass Choir)
What's so frustrating to me is that Whitney did not release a holiday album during her vocal peak. She did two holiday songs for The Preacher's Wife and both were amazing. Her version of "Joy to the World" is so good, I love the choir parts most especially.

049. IT ISN'T, IT WASN'T, IT AIN'T EVER GONNA BE (with Aretha Franklin)
This may not be one of Whitney or Aretha's known songs but this collaboration between the two divas is amazing. The chorus reminds me of The Pointer Sisters' "Jump (For My Love)".

048. HOLD ON, HELP IS ON THE WAY (with the Georgia Mass Choir)
This song is played during the first scene at church where the characters are all introduced. It's a great track, I couldn't get it out of my head when I first watched the movie.

047. I KNOW HIM SO WELL (with Cissy Houston)
This duet between Whitney and her mother Cissy Houston is really nice, I remember hearing it a lot on the radio when they would play the old hits.

046. DEAR JOHN LETTER
For some reason, this midtempo album track from Just Whitney... clicked with me so well. I really like how it suits Whitney's voice, it's one of my favorites along with "One of These Days" and "Unashamed".
GetBack
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:07 am

"Unashamed" is so underrated! I love the lyrics and her voice is pretty solid on it indeed. "If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful" is overlooked, and I know it's cheesy, but I like it. "Worth It" is good - a highlight from I Look to You for sure.

"Just the Lonely Talking Again" is probably the only song that I truly dislike from the Whitney album. "Same Script, Different Cast" is everything. I think the verses and the bridge are strong and the climax during the bridge is definitely a stand-out moment.

"It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Ever Gonna Be" is enormously underwhelming considering that two of the greatest singers ever are on it. It's okay for me, but I think it should have been brilliant with Aretha and Whitney on the billing. "Dear John Letter" is good, but I definitely prefer "Unashamed".
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby TheRealest » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:43 pm

She has one of the best versions of Joy To The Word, I love it.

Hold On is so underrated, one of her best.
TheRealest
The Queen

Postby GetBack » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:04 am

045. MIRACLE
The song is probably one of Whitney's unpopular singles. It's not really a strong single choice but I like it. I think it's too formulaic and is a bit weak to be released as a single.

044. WHATCHULOOKINAT
Despite the song being really catchy, I felt like it was the wrong lead single for Whitney's album. I feel like she could have gone with a ballad because it seems like she was trying to stay current with this. It wasn't my favorite before but it has grown on me so much.

043. HOLD ME (with Teddy Pendergrass)
The song reminds me of "If We Hold On Together" by Diana Ross for some reason. It's very mellow and has a similar arrangement to "Greatest Love of All". Teddy Pendergrass was an amazing vocalist.

042. NOTHIN' BUT LOVE
This song is definitely one of the strongest tracks in the I Look to You album. Though Whitney's vocals sound tired in this, I think it's still a standout.

041. TAKE GOOD CARE OF MY HEART (with Jermaine Jackson)
This song suddenly grew on me out of nowhere. Jermaine sounds amazing here. It has a very cheesy chorus that is so eighties but I really like it.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Erotica » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:46 am

I love Nothin but love :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby GetBack » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:46 am

040. ONE OF THOSE DAYS
The best song on the Just Whitney... album, "One of Those Days" was released as the second single. I think it's such a feel-good song, it gives off a very happy and uplifting vibe. I think it would have been a better lead single than "Whatchulookinat".

039. LIKE I NEVER LEFT (featuring Akon)
Whitney said that "Like I Never Left" was at one point being considered as the album title. I think it would make a great album title, but looking back, it would be have been so ironic considering this eventually became her final studio album. I like the island sound of this record, it reminds me of summer so much. It's one of the standout songs and could have been a great single.

038. MY NAME IS NOT SUSAN
"My Name Is Not Susan" is the third single from I'm Your Baby Tonight. The production is very similar to what Michael Jackson would release at that time. It's a lot grittier than many of Whitney's usual singles released during this period.

037. QUEEN OF THE NIGHT
Taken from The Bodyguard, this song became so popular back then. It's great to hear Whitney do something different in contrast against the big power ballads that she's known for. I also love the CJ Mackintosh remix of this song that is available in The Greatest Hits.

036. I DIDN'T KNOW MY OWN STRENGTH
I really wish that this song became a single, Diane Warren did a great job on creating it. Whitney herself said that this is her personal favorite, I don't understand why it wasn't given a single treatment. Whitney's performance in the American Music Awards of this song is so moving that It's actually better than the studio recording.
GetBack
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:49 am

I was addicted to My Name Is Not Susan a couple months ago :lol:
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Erotica » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:19 am

My name is not Susan is an underrated single
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby GetBack » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:47 pm

035. I LEARNED FROM THE BEST
This was actually one of Whitney's singles that I didn't like at first, I felt that it was a bit boring, but it eventually grew on me. I did like the music video to this song though.

034. LOVE WILL SAVE THE DAY
John "Jellybean" Benitez was the producer of this single, and it has that Miami Sound Machine vibe to it. It's a pop dance song with some latin elements. The percussion in this song is always fun to listen to.

033. CALL YOU TONIGHT
"Call You Tonight" is actually a simple song, it doesn't have the vocal theatrics and all, but I think it's the simplicity which makes the song great. It's very relaxing to listen to.

032. YOU'RE STILL MY MAN
I remember hearing this on the radio many times, I actually thought it was one of Whitney's biggest hits, but after researching Whitney's discography, I realized that it wasn't even released as a single. I think it would have performed better on the charts than "Love Will Save the Day".

031. AFTER WE MAKE LOVE
If I could choose one song that Whitney should have released as a single, it would have been this ballad. I really like the intro and first verse so much. it's the second best ballad from I'm Your Baby Tonight after "All the Man That I Need".
GetBack
Legend

Postby Erotica » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:51 pm

035. I LEARNED FROM THE BEST
one of her best songs ever <3

034. LOVE WILL SAVE THE DAY
033. CALL YOU TONIGHT
really good songs too
Erotica
Legend

Postby GetBack » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:57 pm

030. WHO WOULD IMAGINE A KING
This is the main reason why I am so bitter that Whitney did not release a holiday album during her vocal peak. "Who Would Imagine a King" is one of her best songs ever, she's such a brilliant vocalist. I'm in love with her soft tone here. The scene where she fills in as Mother Mary in the play (in the movie The Preacher's Wife) as she sings this song was definitely one of the movie's highlights.

029. I LOOK TO YOU
I think this is Whitney's saddest song. There is definitely a big difference in the experience of listening to it when she released this song as compared to the experience when listening to it now that she passed away. I know that she was past her prime when she released this but it's a shame she never got any Grammy nominations for this brilliant song. Also, I like this solo version over the duet version with R. Kelly which was too slow for me.

028. MY LOVE IS YOUR LOVE
I wasn't too fond of this song when it was released as a single. When I would churn out The Greatest Hits, that's when I started to fall in love with this. I really love the message of the song. I can still remember watching the video almost every day on MTV in 1999. Her afro look reminded me of her eighties hairdo.

027. SO EMOTIONAL
Among many of Whitney's biggest number one hits, this one was the song I wasn't very familiar with. I think it's because radio here played her ballads more than her uptempo songs. I really like the high energy in this song, especially in the chorus, which is very difficult to sing. Whitney's a true vocal beast.

026. MILLION DOLLAR BILL
From the very first time I heard this song, it clicked with me instantly. It was really exciting to see Whitney coming back to making music again. I like the old throwback soul vibe in this song, I think they definitely picked the right single to kick-start the I Look to You era. I would have wanted Alicia Keys (who wrote the song) to do the background vocals for this, it would have been nice had that happened.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Erotica » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:49 pm

026. MILLION DOLLAR BILL
This song made me soooo excited for the album
Erotica
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:16 pm

"Whatchulookinat" is the only Whitney single I truly abhor. I just cannot get into it. "Nothin' but Love" is nice, but nothing special. The same can be said for "Like I Never Left". I'm not too crazy about "Queen of the Night" or "I Didn't Know My Own Strength", but both are good. I'll admit that "Million Dollar Bill" is good, but I never got the fuss some fans make over it. It's pretty pedestrian compared to her big hits.

"My Name Is Not Susan" is so underrated so I'm glad to see it rather high here. "Love Will Save the Day" is uplifting, "Call You Tonight" should've been a single as it was the best track on I Look to You, and "You're Still My Man" is beautiful; I love Whitney's passion on it.

I'm glad you highlighted Whitney's vocals on "So Emotional". I think it's probably her most overlooked #1, but I don't know if anyone else could pull off the song as well as she did.

"I Look to You" is my second favourite song from its parent album. I agree with you that the song takes on a more powerful meaning now that Whitney's gone.

"My Love Is Your Love" is one of Whitney's finest moments. The video is probably my favourite video of hers and the melody is so memorable. Everything about it is perfect, in my opinion.

"I Learned from the Best" is the best song to fall thus far. It's actually my second favourite Whitney song. The lyrics are really powerful and Whitney delivers a pretty incredible performance too.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:12 pm

025. EXHALE (SHOOP SHOOP)
I really love this song from Waiting to Exhale. I started liking it after I saw the movie. The message of the song is so uplifting. Babyface did an outstanding job in crafting this song, it also worked as a great lead soundtrack single.

024. STEP BY STEP
Whitney never fails to deliver when she does gospel tracks and with this song, she really took it to another level. I like the mainstream feel to it, it doesn't sound like a regular gospel song. It's a perfect ending theme to the movie. I like the fact that it's an uptempo.

023. ALL THE MAN THAT I NEED
This is definitely one of Whitney's finest vocal performances. The way she powerfully sings the chorus here in contrast to the soft tone she uses while singing the verses make it outstanding. You can really feel the raw emotion in her voice. I also love the use of the saxophone as well as the background singers, all of those contribute to building a climactic finish to the song.

022. I BELIEVE IN YOU IN ME
It was down to "Step by Step" and "I Believe in You and Me" when it came to my most favorite songs from The Preacher's Wife. When I watched the scene where Whitney sang this in the lounge/restaurant that she used to date her preacher husband, I was in love with the song immediately. I actually loved the film version more than the single version, the piano accompaniment makes it more heavenly.

021. I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU
Obviously, this is one of the biggest songs of all time, I don't think Whitney (or any other female artist) was able to top the impact of this ballad. The song had its own life, and the soundtrack from where it came from sold so much that Clive wanted Whitney to tour and maximize its popularity at the time when Whitney just had her child, Bobbi Kristina.
GetBack
Legend

Postby GetBack » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:46 am

020. WHY DOES IT HURT SO BAD
"Why Does It Hurt So Bad" is one of my favorite Whitney's best ballads. There's something about it that perfectly captures the emotion of sorrow and heartbreak.

019. IF I TOLD YOU THAT (with George Michael)
This duet version of the song instantly became my favorite. It doesn't get old. I really love both Whitney and George's voices in this song. I like that they sound like they were just having fun singing it.

018. YOU GIVE GOOD LOVE
Whitney's earliest singles, this also is one of the classics. Whitney's tone here is topnotch, her vocals here prove that there will never be another singer like her.
GetBack
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:10 pm

"Exhale (Shoop Shoop)" is in my Top 5 favourite songs from Whitney. She delivered it so expertly and her voice is so soothing. The lyrics are also really simple, but powerful nonetheless. "Step by Step" typically doesn't get much recognition so it's good to see it so high. I think I ranked it mid-thirties in my Whitney countdown. It's a nice inspirational track.

"All the Man That I Need" is one of those songs you present as a receipt to the claim of Whitney being the greatest singer who ever lived. Her passion in the song is almost tangible. This is an easy Top 15 entry for me. "I Believe in You and Me" is good, but I was never wowed by it. I prefer "Step by Step".

It's an obvious pick, but "I Will Always Love You" is my favourite Whitney song and among my Top 10 songs ever. I can't even begin to describe how epic this song is. Everything just comes together to make it immense - the acapella intro, the saxophone solo, the glory note that is darn near impossible to emulate. It's been covered ad nauseum, but no cover is as good as Whitney's interpretation; she obliterated the original.

"If I Told You That" is definitely one of Whitney's more fun singles. It's mid-thirties quality for me, but I do like it very much.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:14 am

17. COULD I HAVE THIS KISS FOREVER (METRO MIX) (with Enrique Iglesias)
When Whitney released her first greatest hits album, I was drawn to the new material included in it. I just loved all the songs especially this one, which was a duet with Latin superstar Enrique Iglesias. It did look like Whitney was eyeing for an easy hit single but I didn't care. This latin-flavored track is infectious, I love that Whitney was doing something she wasn't accustomed to, it felt so fresh for her to do something out of her zone. The music video was for this song was very sexy too, she and Enrique looked like they were having fun doing the whole sultry, seductive, flirtatious theme.

16. WHERE DO BROKEN HEARTS GO
Probably one of Whitney's most popular songs, "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" was one of the seven consecutive number one singles she achieved in the eighties. The song is very simple but it has so much nostalgia of the eighties ballads. Compared to her other big ballads, this one has a more laid-back feel, it's not as vocally challenging as her other big ballads like "I Will Always Love You" or "All the Man that I Need" for example.

15. DIDN'T WE ALMOST HAVE IT ALL
I think that this is one of those songs where Whitney showcased both her soft tone and the power in her vocals. It's one of her most challenging vocal performances ever, I think almost every "star search" vocal competition contestant in the eighties and nineties used this as their piece at some point, it was that popular. I think it's also one of those songs that remained a karaoke favorite throughout the years.

14. HEARTBREAK HOTEL (featuring Faith Evans & Kelly Price)
Whitney's My Love Is Your Love comeback was epic. She was just so sophisticated, there was this confidence in her that glowed, maybe it was the elegance she carried but she never looked this good. When she released the "Heartbreak Hotel" video, it was flawless, everything in it was perfection. Having Faith and Kelly in it was a great decision, I love their voices in this. Some may say that they overshadowed Whitney while doing the vocal runs at the end (especially Kelly who did a lot of vocal adlibs) but I didn't mind it, the song is still amazing and remains one of my favorite Whitney collaborations of all time.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Erotica » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:40 pm

I like the song with Enrique and George, Heartbreak Hotel is good, too
Erotica
Legend

Postby GetBack » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:40 am

13. I"M YOUR BABY TONIGHT
I was a bit late in appreciating this song. I only got into it after her death. It's gone up in my list after that. Babyface and L.A. Reid definitely crafted a great uptempo for Whitney,

12. COUNT ON ME
I used to catch this music video on MTV always. It has always remained one of my ultimate favorite Whitney collaborations. I like that it's about friendship, and not the usual romantic ballad or sad love song.

11. RUN TO YOU
I really love this song, I never get tired of it. I actually love it more than "I Will Always Love You" I don't understand why this peaked at #31 in the Hot 100, it's pretty low considering how popular it was.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Erotica » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:17 pm

I'm your baby tonight is my favourite song from Whitney I would say :D
Erotica
Legend

Postby HaskaWuga » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:18 am

I'm Your Baby Tonight is soo,sooooo good :cry: :cry: Probably in my top 5 of my favourite Whitney song

Count On Me and Run To You are great too, probably in my top 20
eas•y /ēzē/
HaskaWuga
Manager

Postby GetBack » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:32 am

10. WHEN YOU BELIEVE (with Mariah Carey)
Taken from: The Prince of Egypt: Music from the Motion Picture

Despite not being the big hit single that Whitney and Mariah were accustomed to achieving during their peak years, "When You Believe" was one of the most anticipated collaborations of the nineties. As a soundtrack to the animated film The Pricne of Egypt, both Whitney and Mariah were both on board right away when asked to lend their vocals to the song. The song's message is very powerful, and I rank it as one of their best songs.

09. ALL AT ONCE
Taken from: Whitney Houston

"All at Once" was not released in the United States, but it was one of her big breakthrough hits internationally. I like the simplicity of the song, it was reminiscent of the traditional ballads released during that era. She performed this in the 1987 American Music Awards, and I think that it should have been on the posthumous live album released because she gave such a powerful live vocal performance of this song.

08. HOW WILL I KNOW
Taken from: Whitney Houston

One of Whitney's signature songs, "How Will I Know" was originally intended for Janet jackson, but the latter rejected song as she felt that it was weaker than the songs she was recording for Control. I think the song worked towards Whtiney's vocal strengths, and it also showed that she wasn't just another power ballad singer at the time.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:34 am

Awesome list, so many beautiful songs in one place. Can't wait to see the first seven.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Return to Personal Charts