Carbon's Top 50 Regina Spektor Songs - #39

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Carbon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:07 pm

Here it goes, another stan countdown by moi. Looking forward to my two followers leomedar and ArmyOfMe :lol: and if someone else stops by I'll be eternally grateful.

Ahhh Vagina Inspektor, what to say about her? She was my #1 until I discovered Tori. She was the music of my teenage-music-discovery days. Without her, who knows what I'd end up listening. Probs Mariah or something. Love Regina, but bitch needs to stop being a mother and start making new music!!! Set your priorities straight gurl, pleasing fans >>>> taking care of baby, of course..................

Coming soon, probably tomorrow.

For my past countdowns, see:
Last edited by Carbon on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:29 am

Looking forward to this, I guess it'll finally make me discover Soviet Kitsch :D
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby leomedar » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:32 am

Grrrreat!

Samson is one of my favs from her, I am sure I'll discover some gems here.
leomedar
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:31 pm

50 | The Sword and the Pen
For those who still can recall
The desperate colors of fall
The sweet caresses of May
Only in poems remain
No one recites them these days
For the shame

This is a very YOLO song, actually. I would like to quote the entire song because the lyrics are so good but ended up just taking one part which is the most poetic and pretty one to me. It really makes you wonder and all. The song's about wanting to be in the moment, worried that the future will not be so bright, and just wanting to stay in the arms of your loved one for as long as possible. Not sure if it's me, but the melody has a very dramatic, kind of Russian or Jewish feel :lol: Jewish because the melody in "I don't wanna live without you" gives me Hava Nagila vibes, and Russian... nto sure tbh, maybe it's just the atmosphere or dramatic effect.

I think the song's divided into two halves, the first one being more in the present, she's in the lover's embrace, and the dark future seems far, while after the chorus, the lyrics turn dark and kind of apocalyptic, the sweetness of May doesn't exist anywhere but in poetry or memories, and everyone is heading to their own grave. I think when "I don't wanna live without you" appears for the first time, she means it as a future thing (if he goes away, she will lose the will to live), while the 2nd time , the lover is gone because of xy reasons (war, illness?) and she doesn't want to go on. Of course, maybe the whole thing is in the present and I'm just tripping, but I like to divide it as such. Like there's a before and after in the song, her fears of the future came true and all.

As usual, I'm rambling and I'm not really eloquent while talking about this stuff, but y'all get it I hope. And again I planned on keeping it short and now it's like 3 paragraphs. I'll try to keep it shorter in the future, promiseeee.
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:35 pm

Probably my fave from her. :lol: Nah it was the first song I heard from her, it's lovely. Her voice is so sweet on it.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:53 pm

49 | Silly Eye Color Generalizations
But these are just silly eye-color generalizations
You shouldn't believe a word I've said
'Cause when you're lying in your bed
Darkness 'round your head
Your eyes might as well be polka-dotted or plaid
Polka-dotted or plaid

This is a very sweet and fun live acapella song that she often does. There isn't exactly a deep subtle message here, it's all playful. She first describes boys with dark brown eyes (that's me he he) and how good, true and sweet we are. Then she describes the hazel-eyed boys and (not sure about thsi part because the description is less obvious) how captivating and possibly seductive they are, being able to capture you only with a look in their eyes. Then she moves onto the blue eyes and how untrustworthy and cold they can be.

However, she dismisses all that with the final lines, that in the end it's all just stereotypes, and when you're sleeping (or lying next to someone you love possibly), you don't even pay attention to the eye color, there are so much more important things. Such a sweet little song overall.
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Sword: really touching. great lyrics. liked your rambling

Silly: cool, liked her being experimental and raw.
leomedar
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:45 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:Probably my fave from her. :lol: Nah it was the first song I heard from her, it's lovely. Her voice is so sweet on it.
yeah I remember you liking that one! so odd, it being a random bonus track and all :lol: but it's a great song fo sho
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:58 pm

Both are very good songs, especially The Sword and the Pen!
I didn't know Silly Eye Colour Generalizations, thank you for including it :D

BTW, and I thought I was slow with my Björk countdown :P
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:52 am

there was a music festival over the last couple of days + had an exam, so didn't get a chance to continue this :oops: I'll maybe post one more today or tomorrow. have so much stuff to do over the weekend because I neglected everything for the festival
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:30 pm

48 | Pavlov's Daughter
Pavlov's daughter woke up in the morning
Heard the bell ring
And something deep inside of her made her want to salivate
So she lay there drooling on her pillow
So she lay there, the sun skimming her skin,
And, and...drooling on her pillow
Pavlov's daughter
And it was far away and hazy like a dream
Not a dream, not a dream,
But the ocean, not the ocean,
But forever...

This is one of her weirdest ones. Has three totally different parts, and I had trouble connecting them. I suck at interpreting stuff. :cry: Had to read other interpretations to finally see the point, it all makes a lot of sense to me now. I originally thought it was literally about Pavlov's daughter (Pavlov being the famous behaviourist, dogs & bells and all that), but it's probably not.

The first, rap-y part starts with Regina feeling like she's stuck in a rut, maybe depression, and the gravediggers stuck in the machine here represent people digging their graves I guess. I think the whole part deals with how humans have all been conditioned to things in their life without noticing it, hence the comparison with Pavlov and his dogs. The 'daughter' refers to herself, or to anyone really.

The 2nd part is again different and a bit frenetic, introducing someone named Lucille, who lives downstairs from Reg, understands her and knows everything she does and thinks. I read a perfectly fitting theory that it's actually Lucifer (hence the downstairs bit) who knows her deepest and darkest parts of life, even when she 'turns her thoughts off' or 'loves herself (=pleasures)'.

The actual part when she mentions Pavlov's daughter is my fave (and quoted here) and I think it describes regular passive humans stuck in a routine, and the whole description reminds me of lazy people like myself who lie in bed in the morning for ages, wake up in their own drool (yes me as well sometimes :oops: ), just dream about stuff, acting hazy etc.

I don't really know the conclusion of most of this song, but I find it really interesting and some new interpretation or clue always pops up here. So much going on.
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:48 pm

47 | Riot Gear
Come home
Take off my riot gear
Put on my smoke jacket
But in the library of my house I have a laugh
Medieval jokes are just as funny now
If you've got a degree

People could easily dismiss this one as Regina being typically "quirky" and singing nonsense, but there's meaning here. I think it's about people acting differently in different situations and around different people, as well as being hypocritical because they act totally different at home. The first example would be the first stanza, where the subject puts on his/her riot gear (I assume it's some "rebel clothing" for protests or whatever) and goes outside, but when he comes home, he puts on his smoking jacket from his rich grandfather and it's made of "both and arrow meat" meaning of real hunted animals, and the person has a laugh to medieval jokes in the libary. So basically it could be a so-called activist that's pretentious and rich.

Then, the person goes out in fancy clothes (she invents food-clothes, and fancy foods like sashimi give the traits to the clothes), pretends to have fun and laughs at stupid jokes, and in the end goes home and wears collard greens, meaning plain old "uncool" vegetables and goes to sleep. I think the contrast between sashimi and greens is like the riot gear-smoking jacket one, being someone you're not around other people.

I think it's important to mention that it's not really judging or criticising people for doing this, but more just observing that it's a natural human trait, albeit hypocritical, but you know, it happens, we're all "guilty" of it in a way.
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:26 pm

I like both, especially #48, which is a great discovery, thanks! I'm still new to Vagina's obscure stuff (my god, what kind of pun :lol: ), I'll make sure to check 11:11 and Soviet Kitsch soon :D
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby MrRager » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:29 pm

US, POOR LITTLE RICH KID OR CARBON MONOXIDE FOR NO.1
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Carbon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:36 pm

ArmyOfMe wrote:I like both, especially #48, which is a great discovery, thanks! I'm still new to Vagina's obscure stuff (my god, what kind of pun :lol: ), I'll make sure to check 11:11 and Soviet Kitsch soon :D
I knew you'd fancy Pavlov's gwarl for some reason! some SK songs will appear soon, don't worry :D

I'm still sorta making the list as I go along, ranking her stuff is even harder than ranking Tori's I think, most songs were so amazing at certain periods of my life, and now when I rank them lower I feel as if I don't love them enough, but it's just that currently I love some others more :cry: 1stworldproblems

MrRager wrote:US, POOR LITTLE RICH KID OR CARBON MONOXIDE FOR NO.1
I know my number 1 already and don't wanna spoil the surprise buuuuut
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:26 pm

46 | That Time
Hey, remember that time when you OD'ed?
Hey, remember that other time when you OD'ed for the second time?
Well, in the waiting room while waiting for news of you
I hallucinated I could read your mind
And I was on a lot of shit too
But what I saw, man
I tell you it was freaky

This one starts off cutesy, but I love the ending where you get lulled into the whole cute stuff like eating tangerines, and then BAM remember when you ODed? The lyrics are pretty self-explanatory, I've always understood them as two people remembering their old days, and they were probably on some drugs or whatever, and then the memory of one person OD'ing for the 2nd time and maybe nearly dying. I'd say it was a turning point for them. Not sure if the other person died there or not, both outcomes are probable. This is a short description, not really inspired + this song doesn't need too much analysis (even though I think I could go on a bit).
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby NoAngel » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:42 pm

I've just found out about this countdown, but I'm already disappointed to see "The Sword and the Pen" at #50 :lol: It's like her best song ever! But I'll keep following this thread, though :wink:
B. get off my pole!
NoAngel
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:04 pm

NoAngel wrote:I've just found out about this countdown, but I'm already disappointed to see "The Sword and the Pen" at #50 :lol: It's like her best song ever! But I'll keep following this thread, though :wink:
noo don't be disappointed, I had to pick out of 100+ songs, making it into the top 50 is a success :lol:

thank you for following!
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:54 pm

Will try and find time and energy for these songs soon Nikola. :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Carbon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:58 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:Will try and find time and energy for these songs soon Nikola. :D
I appreciate the will! hell, even I have to try and find time and energy to update this :lol:
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:26 am

mrlemonade wrote:
CrazyCrazy wrote:Will try and find time and energy for these songs soon Nikola. :D
I appreciate the will! hell, even I have to try and find time and energy to update this :lol:
Tell me about it :lol: :oops:
I love That Time! Regina should do more uptempo stuff cause she's very good at it IMO.
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:21 pm

45 | Lacrimosa
We keep on burying our dead
We keep on planting their bones in the ground
But they won't grow
The sun doesn't help
And all we've got
Is a giant crop
Of names and dates

As a stark contrast to the previous song, this one is quite dark and dramatic, which can be heard as soon as it starts from the frenetic piano line. It's a song about humankind and how humans often think they're more powerful than nature and like to play God, they get complacent and over-confident. The motive of planting the dead and waiting for them to grow is an example of man waiting for the dead to come back to life, but only God can rule life and death.

The same is with the Icarus reference in the "chorus", as a perfect example of someone who got too over-confident and careless and flew too close to the sun and fell. I think the subject is the Lacrimosa, i.e. the tearful one, because he/she watches mankind do all these things to overpower nature ("I have a terrible feeling that something's gone awful, very wrong with the world. Is it something we made?...") And in the part where the rabbits come in the subject's garden, eating all the plants and shitting everywhere is also a metaphor for humans destroying nature by "shitting all over it"). In the end, in a part sung in Latin, she invokes God to spare humans and have mercy.
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:59 pm

Lacrimosa is a very good piano number, I didn't know it! :D
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:24 pm

yup, I'm also rediscovering everything while writing this! for some songs I've never actually looked up the lyrics and tried to dissect them, but was mostly attracted to parts of them + vocals, melody, piano

her first two albums have so much gems. even though I tend to prefer the later, more polished and produced stuff, I sometimes wish she'd make another one as bare as 11:11 and Songs
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:27 pm

Pavlov: :o wordless. too much. As a "song" I wouldn't really rate this, but as an artistic expression I think it is brave and corageous.
Riot: back to a "normal" song :D (and people -CrazyCrazy- will judge me for classifying song in "normal" and "not normal"). Well, I liked this, it has a melody, piano is on point.
that time: good video, nice lyrics, liked the rockier sound.
Lacrimosa: i love this destinctive piano sound. Itneresting lyrics.

Now you can move on mrlemonade, but if you dare to put Samson outside of the top ten you'll lose a follower :lol:
leomedar
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts