Mainshow Goes Eurovision - RECAP 2017 - Post Ur Top 10s!

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby KokoCollino » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:08 pm

LOL I see you jumping :lol:

Doing 2015 now 8-)
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby KokoCollino » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:06 pm

2 0 1 5

Semi 2 shits on Semi 1. Altogether, finally a stronger year again! I especially love the theme and the whole opening! It's my fave Eurovision theme music ever! Love the funny LGBTQ reference. However, I feel like the Austrian presenters (bar Conchita) were messy, and I remember there to be some technical mess around the voting or so.

My voting:

12 Latvia - Part 1 of 2 of Immaculatvia-vision. I hope Aminata and her team completes the holy trinity in 2k17. And she is so cute. The end of the performance is such a haunting climax! HA VOICE!

10 Serbia - Girl served a new bop for every classy gay party. No one can singscream "Bwruudeee" bettah than her. Bopjana served! The outfits of the dancers are a holy mess though.

8 Montenegro - It's amazing, he is disturbing though. LOVE THE LANGUAGE.

7 Italy - One of them is hot. AMAZING CHORUS. Like it more now! Although I didn't really like them last year, I really felt Italy got robbed.

6 Slovenia - Their Top 10 position got robbed due to them being the starter.

5 Belgium - Lorde's more poppy brother. Artistic.

4 Israel - Fun. Very LoveStoned the verses, aren't they? God I wanna have ALL THE DANCERS (not the singer though). Happy Israel got a success after some years of messiness!

3 Norway - He's so cute. I wanna cuddle. I WANNA MARRY HIM.

2 Estonia - Summer Wine teas. Amazing. She is beautiful isn't she? Staging was very Common Linnetish.

1 Azerbaijan - I think I liked it more last year. He is cute and I remember his first performance. It's somehow crazy that after that Top 10 streak, Azerbaijan isn't successful for three years in a row (counting in 2016).

Notable:

Hungary - The message of the song and the country's messy politics from today's point of view lol (actually already from that year's point of view)

Denmark - Yuck. I saw the national final and was thinking wtf Denmark.

Lithuania - They saved it for me with the LGBTQ kisses.

Iceland - She should've done a time travel to 2016 and take notes from Austria.

Switzerland - German randomness teas, though not as random as Elaiza's or Jamie Lee's staging.

Sweden - Same as 2012. I saw the first performance on Melodifestivalen and was like "Yup, Sweden will win." While Euphoria was iconic and original, Heroes is bland AF. Mans should concentrate on getting nude more often. I just can't. Wait, is he wearing leather pants :o

UK - Well, UK.

Austria - Idk I think it's always sad when your country hosts and you fail, but 0 zero points??? Mess.

Germany - I feel bad for her. Hope she found strength. I see her as a victim of the NDR and the German team. Same for this year.

Georgia - Love her face and her attitude.

Russia - At least it's a better song than the years before. Tbh her facial expression was too forced during the performance, she wanted it too much IMO.

Spain - MI CORAZOOON.
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:35 pm

@heppolo
There's no song in your Top 10 I dislike. I probably like the Spanish entry the least because it's so repetitive and theatrical added with some cheesiness BUT it's still very solid!
Austria got robbed :(
Once again, I agree with you on the Russian entry. Polina was amazing. The song itself didn't deserve to end up being #2 in the end if you ask me.
When it comes to your Belarussian entry I have to say that I lowkey like it but I thought right from the beginning that your country won't make it, to be honest. The semi was too strong.

@Erotica
I'm glad you agree on Eurovision's winner!
It's nice to see Germany on your list. Poor AnnSophie. She didn't deserve to receive 0 points.

@Magnus
I'm shocked about your "not so good year" comments concerning the recent editions. Personally, I think that the Eurovision Song Contest has improved a lot in recent years. 2015 is no exception.
ICELAND is a surprise! I think I have never seen any Eurovision fan putting "Unbroken" at their #1! - Personally, I thought that the entry was very current and listenable but also a bit bland. It reminded me of Katy Perry's "Prism".
Also, the live performance was outrageous. So many missed notes.
Estonia <3
Malta is also a lovely choice and the Netherlands, Denmark also! - 40% of your Top 10 consists of non-qualifiers. It seems that you weren't too happy about that year's results.

@KokoCollino
<3 Someone did recognize me! - Like Jamie-Lee, I've been waiting for "internationale Angebote" since Eurovision. - A shame I hasn't been discovered yet :D

Flawless #1, Montenegro was also amazing; same applies to Italy, Norway, Estonia, Azerbaijan and Belgium! I think we will share a lot of countries this times!
BUT.. what's Serbia doing there? - It's my least favourite entry of 2015. It's basically the epitome of everything what's wrong with Eurovision and they it took YEARS to finally become suitable for international mainstream markets :D

AnnSophie didn't deserve to get 0 points. It's sad to see her fail and not having a career... She also declined an offer to perform on AIDA and that's part of the reason why NDR dropped her because she was keep on declining offers and suggestions after the contest.

I agree on Russia, UK and definitely Sweden!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Leychen » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:51 pm

12 Latvia
10 Sweden
8 Russia
7 Azerbaijan
6 Estonia
5 The Netherlands
4 Spain
3 Belarus
2 Israel
1 UK just for you Mainshow ;)
Last edited by Leychen on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was so blind, I could not see | Your paradise is not for me |Last.fm
Leychen
Roadie

Postby KokoCollino » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:43 pm

Mainie what do you mean with the first part of your response to me :lol:
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby Magnus » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:45 pm

^ Yeah, I can't understand that either (even though I just learned the word "Angebot" a few days ago).
Magnus
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:04 pm

#9 BELGIUM (2 points) Image

Loïc Nottet - Rhythm Inside

Belgium hasn't received any points frome me since Kate Ryan's "Je t'adore" in 2006! - 9 years later, my lovely neighbours came back with a bang and a potential winning entry! Very Lorde-esque! Loïc's song was a masterpiece and he had a very effective and mesmerising performance. I simply do not love his voice that much, tbh. Anway, this was excellent!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:15 pm

#8 AUSTRALIA (3 points) Image

Guy Sebastian - Tonight Again

Unlike some Eurovision fans, I think that Australia has been a nice extra bringing some class to the competition. I also think that the country's participation as an exception to the rule is justified based on historically, politically, socio-culturally connections to Europe. Also, if one takes a closer look at the demographics, one can see that over 90% of its population are people of European descent, many of them having emigrated in the last century. Australia, unlike other ex-colonies, is still very tied to the European continent and has a very "European music scene" and Aussies have loved the Eurovision ever since. It's crazy how they are rooting for Eurovision. When I was in Australia, there was no Australian resident I talked to who hasn't heard of Eurovision, Dami Im and "Sound of Silence"; I even had a coversation with a taxi driver and a tour guide about the Australian entry 2016. I bet if you ask 10 random taxi drivers in Germany which artist got sent by Germany to be its representative, I'm sure that all of them won't have a fu*king clue.

That being said, "Tonight Again" was a great choice. Very Olly Murs-esque, uplifting, catchy and memorable. Guy's an extra-ordinarily amazing singer. I'm glad that Australia isn't sending newcomers.. but is sending well-established, talented artists instead and most importantly, Australia tries to come up with an entry which had been composed for Eurovision (unlike Germany organizing preselections with random album tracks (2014-2016))

Australia received points from me when it debuted in Eurovision, thus making San Marino the only active Eurovision participant left which hasn't get a single point from me yet.
Last edited by Mainshow on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:32 pm

KokoCollino wrote:Mainie what do you mean with the first part of your response to me :lol:
I made an appearance on several million TVs. I mean. People from Iceland to Azerbaijan and Australia saw me jumping.
I mean... it was not even my first one:
3:16-17 [I'm between Loreen and her dancer] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NreIi8ma_PY

I just thought that I would get discovered and hired for other random jumping/waving cameos on televised musical events all around the world.
Eurovision is basically a plattform where your dreams can come true...

Jamie-Lee thinks the same.. after her epic triumph (making Germany proud again by finishing last after AnnSophie's last place) she immediately got interviewed as part of the "after show party" on the night of the contest and she said that "she feels ok and is waiting for international Angebote/job offers" :D

She totally got robbed and I loved her song but that comment was soooooo hilarious. All started to laugh while it was on screen.

But actually I have no clue why I wrote it.. it was just a lousy attempt of me writing something extra-ordinary. It sounded way more funnier when this thought had been created in the darkest parts of my freaky brain :D
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Airwrecka » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:38 am

Airwreckastan calling...

We apologise for our absence in 2014, but we were disqualified by the MBU for not submitting an entry on time. :(

12 Russia
10 Sweden
8 Moldova
7 Italy
6 Norway
5 Estonia
4 Poland
3 United Kingdom
2 The Netherlands
1 Spain

Far too many ballads in this year.

I adore Måns and thought his staging was so fun and creative, but in the end I put Polina as my favourite. Her voice was just incredible. :o
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Magnus » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:02 am

You know it's a cruel world when appearing on millions of TVs (even if only for two seconds) doesn't lead to automatic stardom :lol:.

If Jamie-Lee wants an "international offer" she's welcome to give me a call (I'm not saying it will be a good offer :lol:).
Magnus
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:48 am

12 Estonia - The female vocal on this song does something to me. There are no words for how brilliantly unique and beautiful she sounds.
10 Sweden - Handsome guy, cool performance, uplifting anthem. This was a very fitting winner.
08 Serbia - Criminally underrated!
07 Australia - What a debut! It is very Olly Murs-esque, but that's a good thing.
06 Russia
05 Poland
04 United Kingdom
03 Norway
02 Belgium
01 Germany

Mainshow wrote:@JSparksFan
It still amazes me to read that you've become a "full-fledged Eurovision fan"! I love it that you're part of the community and watching one edition of Eurovision live with you someday is one of my private goals ;) I'd be happy for you to encounter the vibe of the Eurovision fever which is clearly circulating around several places in Europe/Australia on the day of the final!
Conchita really turned you into a fan! That's pretty awesome!
I hope that day comes soon! Next year might be too soon, but 2018 is a safe aim.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby trebor » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:38 pm

12 -  Italy - Il Volo - "Grande amore"
10 -  Australia - Guy Sebastian - "Tonight Again"
08 -  Belgium - Loïc Nottet - "Rhythm Inside"
07 -  France - Lisa Angell - "N'oubliez pas"
06 -  Spain - Edurne - "Amanecer"
05 -  Estonia - Elina Born & Stig Rästa - "Goodbye to Yesterday"
04 -  Latvia - Aminata - "Love Injected"
03 -  Serbia - Bojana Stamenov - "Beauty Never Lies"
02 -  Germany - Ann Sophie - "Black Smoke"
01 -  Austria - The Makemakes - "I Am Yours"

IT: Sends shivers down my spine. Excellent instrumentation, instrumental progression and vocals that blend perfectly.
AU: Cute little pop ditty. Quite funky and immediately catchy. The chorus is admittedly a bit cheesy. Like the general enthusiasm (country/song/artist package).
BE: Quite progressive for Eurovision. Great breaks, tempo and fusion.
FR: Not trend chasing; leans on arrangement, voice and message. Like the interpretation and the lyrical merit.
ES: Have a soft spot for Spanish and this delivers. She's belching a bit but the song is quite nice.
EE: Pleasant indie pop song with a retro kick. Great production. Maybe a bit too streamlined.
LV: Usually not my type of sound but this is both modern and artistic at the same time.
SR: Not to keen on some of the final mixing but the vocal delivery elevates the song to the next level.
DE: Still don't know why this flopped so brutally. Like her singing tone and timbre (and that little twang).
AT: Unpretentious song that could have come straight from the 60s. It's timeless and deserves a nod.
trebor
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:28 am

12 - Sweden (my taste is probably too generic as i'm always happy with the winners...)
10 - Australia
8 - Estonia
7 - Slovenia
6 - Belgium
5 - Israel (guilty pleasure and very catchy, glad it was successful)
4 - Russia (strong voice but there's something missing. I loved her performance but overall i liked the other entries more)
3 - Latvia (strong voice, strong tune, but again, there was something missing compared to the other entries)
2 - Switzerland
1 - Belarus

I also enjoyed Georgia, Norway, Ireland, Serbia, Germany, Macedonia and Albania.

I'm afraid your #1 this year will be one of the worst entries i've ever heard aka Italy... :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tyne » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:02 am

<3!

1 Latvia
2 Italy
3 Russia
4 Belgium
5 Azerbaijan
6 Georgia
7 Norway
8 Australia
9 Estonia
10 Lithuania
Tyne
Groupie

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:22 am

#7 NORWAY (4 points) Image

Mørland & Debrah Scarlett - A Monster Like Me

Melancholic masterpiece. Personally, I think that this was the "quality entry" of 2015. When I listened to it for the very first time, I thought that this would have the potential to win the whole contest. It's a shame that generic Sweden snatched the victory in the end. However, at least "A Monster Like Me" entered the Top 10 - on Eurovision as well as on my countdown.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:33 am

#6 THE NETHERLANDS (5 points) Image

Trijntje Oosterhuis - Walk Along

I am so glad that the Netherlands have finally found a great formula to come up with great and solid Eurovision entries. "Walk Along" is no exception. I love the nostalgic 90s sound, the summerish vibes and the catchy hooks. Before the contest, the Dutch entry had been part of my Top 3 but sadly, the performance was such a letdown! The summerish vibes of the song had been completely neglected and Trijnte's team decided to let her perform in a batman costume without any props. It was just tragic and destined to not make it to the finals. However, I was still very shocked when the results came in because I lost one of my favourite songs of 2015.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:37 am

#5 LATVIA (6 points) Image

Aminata - Love Injected

Finally, some great quality electronic entries have hit Eurovision and in 2015, we had the Belgian entry and "Love Injected" by Aminata, representative of Latvia. It took Latvia 13 years to finally receive some points from me again. Personally, I think that Aminata had the best performance of the night: Incredible vocals, amazing visuals and the choir sounded so much better than on the studio version. I also get goosebumps at the end. Simply stunning!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:42 am

#4 MONTENEGRO (7 points) Image

Knez - Adio

The third time in a row, points are awarded to Montenegro. The country had been criminally underrated in the editions from 2013 to 2015. At least, the Southeastern European state got its best result with "Adio", placing #13.
I seriously need more dramatic Balkan ballads in my life!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby heppolo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:23 am

I've stumbled upon this review of a norwegian entry back in 2015 and quite enjoyed it
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:16 pm

@Leychen
Interesting Top 10! - Latvia had an oustanding performance. I'm glad to see it on top!
Sweden's not my cup of tea but Zelmerlöw's performance was mesmerising as well.
There's not a single track I do not like apart from the UK. That was utterly horrendous. Why did you write "just for you Mainshow". You exactly know how to troll :D

@Airwrecka
Wow, people from Airwreckstan must have been really happy about the real results of Eurovision that year!
Seeing Moldova so high is a surprise. I didn't expect you to like it ;) It's so 90s :D
Nice to see Italy, Norway, Estonia, The Netherlands. Poland is a lovely surprise! She didn't deserve to be ranked that low by the juries even though her ballad was quite old-fashioned.
And I agree... 2015 was the year of ballads!

@Magnus
It cleary is! - I'd have made a great career as delivering mesmerising 2 seconds cameos in several music videos or commercial.
The world is too cruel. I'm glad I have this countdown and you guys! ;) - I can't wait to present the final results after 2016! ;)

@JSparksFan
2018 would be mabye our last chance. If I become a teacher, I won't be able to leave school for a week to attend Eurovision in May :D

Amazing #1! It's very unique in a Eurovision context (it reminds me of "Summer Wine" though) but I truly agree, Elina sounds beautiful! - Btw, the Estonian singer is about to take part in the country's preselection 2017 again. Maybe you'll encounter her beautiful voice in Eurovision once again ;)

Mans is indeed handsome and I loved his performance. The song itself didn't impress me much, though.
Nice to see Australia (and that you agree with me it being Olly Murs-esque xD), Russia, Poland (what a surprise!), Norway, Belgium, and wow, even Germany (she didn't deserve to come last).

@trebor
I'm so glad that you've found the way to this countdown! It's a pity that we missed your points of the previous editions.
Your Top 10 is flawless. Apart from Serbia (it really wasn't my cup of tea), there's not a single song I don't like. Italy got robbed. They should have won!
I agree on France not being trend-chasing but I'm also missing some drama or class there. It has a great message and her voice is outstanding but I've always felt that the entry itself is too "innocent", "ordinary" to gain any success.
Austria's entry was very Kings of Leon: timeless and memorable. I can't believe it got 0 points. I thought it would be a sure Top 10 contender.

@Tansike
Hehe. You don't have a "too generic taste". I'm glad that you've usually always been quite happy with the actual winners!
Apart from Switzerland, I like all of your entries. I liked her voice but the whole song was too amateurish if you ask me. Switzerland really has to come up with something great soon. I don't like to see Germany and Switzerland doing so bad in the last two editions.

and WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?! Italy is far away from being the worst entry. I can't believe you hate "Grande Amore" that much. It should have won!

@Tyne
Great to see you again!
Georgia's been underrated here on Ukmix! Nina did a great job. Sadly, it missed my Top 10.
Love all the other tracks as well!

@heppolo
OMG, that intro is hilarious :D
I don't like them discreding the Czech Republican entry though (should've qualified).
But they are totally right. Morland didn't have to shout, his calm voice lifts the song to another level.
But he's completely mistaken about Eurovision doesn't attract viewers to encounter some actual tast, just for fun and enthusiasm reasons. I totally share the view that Eurovision offers a place for everyone; but recent years have shown that quality entries can do pretty well in Eurovision, too; even if they have simple and tastefull performances. It's the mix which attracts me.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:36 pm

#3 AZERBAIJAN (8 points) Image

Elnur Huseynov - Hour Of The Wolf

Another quality entry by Azerbaijan. That country has given me so many great tunes since its debut in Eurovision; this one is no exception: Interesting and unsual theme for a song, haunting, eerie atmosphere tied up with a beautiful arrangement. Elnur's vocals are also very stunning and memorable. Should have ended up in the Top 10. This country should be more appreciated by fans; together with Italy, they have submitted the most quality entries in a very short time span.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:43 pm

#2 ITALY (10 points) Image

Il Volo - Grande Amore

I have to disappoint Tansike. "Grande Amore", Italy's magnus opus in Eurovision hasn't hit my #1 on my countdown even though these guys should have won. It's a shame that Italy couldn't win even though it got 366 points by the televoting alone! Sergey (Russia 2016) got 361 points with even two more countries participating in the edition. Juries really stole the victory of a timeless masterpiece and gave it away to a generic radio-friendly copy of another radio-friendly Avicii/Guetta track. However, I think that Italy wasn't really interesting in winning the contest either. Eurovision still needs to win and attract more viewers in Italy. It's strange that it's still not a "thing" there and that it's popularity is slowly growing. Hopefully, Italy won't be put off again and will keep on sending such quality entries!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:57 pm

#1 ALBANIA (12 points) Image

Elhaida Dani - I'm Alive

This might be a surprise for most of you but I truly adore the Albanian entry of 2015. The song, which was ranked #9 in the televoting, is a catchy fine piece of ethno-influenced contemporary pop with empowering lyrics. It's a pity that Elhaida who's a great and talented singer having won talent shows got sick and struggled with some notes during her live performance in Eurovision. Otherwise, I could have seen this getting some points by the juries as well. 2015 was a great year with many outstanding ballads and performances, we also had some progressive, innovative electronic entries but "I'm Alive" is just amazing because of its simplicity and catchiness. It's the entry I've always come back to listen to again.
It's the first time that Albania rocked my Top 10 by placing a song on top of my list!

Btw, it's also my 10,000th post here on Ukmix [I spent too much time on this page :D ].
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:23 am

MAINSHOW's Top10
12 Albania
10 Italy
8 Azerbaijan
7 Montenegro
6 Latvia
5 The Netherlands
4 Norway
3 Australia
2 Belgium
1 Estonia
YOUR Top10
12 Estonia 60 pts (12 pts by JSparksFan)
10 Latvia 54 pts (12 pts by KokoCollino, Leychen, Tyne)
8 Sweden 54 pts (12 pts by Erotica, Tansike)
7 Belgium 46 pts
6 Russia 42 pts (12 pts by Airwrecka)
5 Italy 41 pts (12 pts by trebor)
4 Australia 40 pts
3 Norway 28 pts (12 pts by hepplo)
2 Serbia 26 pts
1 Slovenia 26 pts
hank you to Airwrecka, Erotica, heppolo, JSparksFan, KokoCollino, Leychen, Magnus, Tansike, trebor, Tyne for sharing their Top10s! - We share 6 out of 10 once again! This time, your votes really differed from each other!
Follow-ups were #11 Israel (25 pts), #12 Spain (20 pts), #13 Azerbaijan (14 pts), #14 The Netherlands (12 pts) & #15 Iceland (12 pts by Magnus) [/quote]
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Personal Charts