Mainshow Goes Eurovision - RECAP 2017 - Post Ur Top 10s!

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Mainshow » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:31 am

MAINSHOW's ALL TIME RANKING (1997-2015)

Albania (#40-#21), Montenegro (#28-#19), Latvia (#36-#26) rise. Azerbaijan enters the Top 5.

01 Croatia 79
02 Iceland 69
03 Israel 61

04 Azerbaijan 55
05 Germany 53
06 Sweden 52
07 Poland 52
08 Italy 44
09 Slovenia 39
10 Spain 35
11 The Netherlands 31
12 Estonia 31
13 United Kingdom 29
14 Norway 26
15 Russia 26
16 Greece 26
17 Bosnia and Herzegovina 23
18 France 22
19 Montenegro 22
20 Ukraine 20
21 Albania 20
22 Armenia 19
23 Serbia 19
24 Turkey 18
25 Denmark 18
26 Latvia 17
27 Slovakia 17
28 Cyprus 16
29 Ireland 15
30 Belgium 15
31 Austria 15
32 Hungary 14
33 Portugal 12
34 Czech Republic 12
35 Moldova 12
36 Malta 11
37 Belarus 11
38 Romania 10
39 Switzerland 8
40 Georgia 8
41 Bulgaria 7
42 FYR Macedonia 4
43 Lithuania 3
44 Australia 3
45 Finland 1
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:46 am

Share your personal Top 10 of Eurovision 2016 with us by posting it in this thread! - Here's a little reminder of all entries:

2016 RECAP

Recap of the live performances:
Semi 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crcFl_P6n5Y
Semi 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YchfInByWVc
FInal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T077sFWGKzg[/quote][/quote]
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:55 am

Mainshow wrote:But he's completely mistaken about Eurovision doesn't attract viewers to encounter some actual tast, just for fun and enthusiasm reasons. I totally share the view that Eurovision offers a place for everyone; but recent years have shown that quality entries can do pretty well in Eurovision, too; even if they have simple and tastefull performances. It's the mix which attracts me.
It's a bit over the top anyway. :)
Elhaida Dani - I'm Alive
I liked the song until I've heard it live. Of course, Elhaida had some health issues on the big night, but it did put me off voting for it.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:23 am

12 points - Italy (once again, Italy knows how to do a great subtle pop song, Francesca is adorable in that cuddly sort of way)
10 points - Georgia (I was tempted to give them full 12 pts., the most indie rock-ish entry ESC ever had, pretty much when the genre has already burnt out)
8 points - Latvia (this was lovely, pure electropop with some downtempo vibes, his voice is a bit too raspy and rocky for the song and he pushed a bit too hard, but love the song anyway)
7 points - Ukraine (that shamen thing Jamala (in a Loreen way) tried to do was off putting, both her NF dress and her first rehearsal outfit were better than the actual one, but the staging was everything; a well-deserved win)
6 points - France (an absolute bop, thanks to the ESC Amir has gone places, however he needed to improve his live singing skills prior to the big night, sounded shaky)
5 points - Bulgaria (Poli pulled it off well and seemed to love every second of her ESC journey, great)
4 points - Australia (ballad by numbers it may seem, but Dami has a whole lot of personality)
3 points - Spain (overrated by ESC fans, underrated by everyone else, bouncy, bouncy)
2 points - Netherlands (Douwe's a funny man offstage)
1 point - Cyprus (yes, it sounds like The Killers' "Somebody Told Me", but I like it anyway, we need some alternative rock in such a lengthy show)
Notable ones
Russia - one of the worst, like throwing a kitchen sink
San Marino - this is the life, every version, all of it
Denmark - damn, a Take That b-side, what were they thinking
Norway - I both love and hate it, the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of the ESC entries
Germany - underwhelming
Estonia - didn't deserve to flop that badly
Lithuania - didn't deserve to go top 10
Poland - retro music
Iceland - ok, nice but in the end the writing was on the wall about the posiible flop
Israel - revamp lifted this to the final
Serbia - would like to hear that in Serbian on the ESC stage
Ireland - the award for the blandest possible entry....share it with Moldova
United Kingdom - sounds like a single released by any former Talent Show contestants, oh wait
Montenegro - electo-grunge is a weird idea in the first place, but I got to say, I've enjoyed the cinematic approach of the semi-final performance
I have to say, ESC 2016 had the friendliest atmosphere, there was a lot of interactions between the participants. The new voting system added to the excitement.
Last edited by heppolo on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:44 am

12 Cyprus
10 Georgia
08 Belgium
07 Bulgaria
06 Russia
05 Spain
04 France
03 Latvia
02 Austria
01 Malta
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:17 pm

heppolo, i'm surprised you didn't mention the swiss entry. Somehow i thought you would like it :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Airwrecka » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:28 pm

Ohhhh, now this will be hard. The first year ever that I listened to the songs before the final. I have so many good memories of a lot of the songs, and I'm still not entirely sure what my favourite is!!

One thing's for sure though, i know what definitely won't be in my top 10... I'm looking at you Miss break the rules with a political song disguised as an exorcism...
Last edited by Airwrecka on Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby heppolo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:29 pm

Tansike wrote:heppolo, i'm surprised you didn't mention the swiss entry. Somehow i thought you would like it :oops:
Swiss entry was good, probably in my top 15 after the show. Have to say, had this only been a song contest without the actual performance, it would have been my number 5. As a matter of fact, Rykka clearly had no clue about how the staging might work with her song.
Belgium yet again managed to slowly climb up the ranks (as they did with Roberto a couple of years prior).
Sweden - if I were Bieber
Austria - too sugary for me, but French really worked here
heppolo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:33 pm

Airwrecka wrote:I'm looking at you Miss break the rules with a political song disguised as an exorcism...
At least it's not plagiarised from previous ESC entries.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Magnus » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:17 pm

ESC 2016 was definitely stronger than 2014 and 2015 for me, although there was only one song that was really amazing.

12 points: Österrike (Zoë – Loin d'ici)
10: Kroatien (Nina Kraljić – Lighthouse)
 8: Italien (Francesca Michielin – No Degree of Separation)
 7: Schweiz (Rykka – The Last of Our Kind)
 6: Tyskland (Jamie-Lee – Ghost)
 5: Australien (Dami Im – Sound of Silence)
 4: Norge (Agnete – Icebreaker)
 3: Bulgarien (Poli Genova – If Love Was a Crime)
 2: Azerbajdzjan (Samra – Miracle)
 1: Slovenien (ManuElla – Blue and Red)

(This is still based more on how much I listened to the studio versions than what I thought of the live performance, but not as strictly as for the other years because I don't know my play counts for 2016 yet. :P)
Magnus
Manager

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:43 am

The first year I listened to the songs before the final, and so a really special Eurovision year for me. So many great songs!

12 Russia
10 Australia
8 Italy
7 Serbia
6 Bulgaria
5 Spain
4 Croatia
3 Sweden
2 Cyprus
1 Denmark

Notable mentions: UK, Germany, Azerbaijan

Russia - this song resonated with me instantly. It's just exactly the kind of fun, uptempo pop that I love about Eurovision. Despite holding Russia in low regard politically, I cannot deny that Sergey seems like a really lovely lad, and he performed it so well. His vocals were great considering he was dancing too, and although many claimed the staging was a copy of Måns (let's face it, the whole thing was a Sweden rip off), I'm still amazed with that climb he did up the staging.
Australia - I keep trying to decide if this should be my 12 points instead of Russia, and feel guilty for it being so "low". Dami served one of the best Eurovision vocals I've ever heard. She transformed an "ok" song into something really special, and was truly robbed of winning on the night.
Italy - this is such an incredibly beautiful song, and deservedly spent several weeks at the top of my personal chart (a rare feature as anyone who follows it will know). Francesca has such a beautiful voice, and the lyrics sound so good in Italian. I love the song's message, but feel the staging didn't do it justice at all.
Serbia - a rare pick, but this grew on me so much and also notched a #1 entry on my personal chart. A slow grower, this song is really well written, with stellar vocals. I get why it was overlooked, but it's actually a really great entry, with a touch of Amy Winehouse about it.
Bulgaria - I honestly hated this at first, but it slowly got into my head, and by the time I saw Poli's fantastic and energetic performance, I'd fallen in love. She seems really cute, and did a terrific job on the night. An excellent entry.
Spain - the chorus to this is such an earworm. Addictive and fun, Barei gave a storming performance of this and came across as a really nice person in interviews. The instrumental breakdown in the chorus is pure fire. Why didn't this storm up the leaderboard? :-(
Croatia - this was a front runner for me originally due to the beautiful songcrafting and Nina's very unique vocal tone. It sounds almost Celtic to me, although I presume the influence is actually Slavic. However, on the night, Nina's unique vocal tone didn't sound as special, and her "dress" proved incredibly distracting.
Sweden - not a typical Swedish entry, but it was fun and quirky, and had a very radio friendly vibe to it that I really enjoyed.
Cyprus - so much fun! Catchy and addictive, this was an instant favourite of mine.
Denmark - whilst lacking originality, I find the studio version of this to be so damn good. Their semi final performance wasn't as good, and I get why they didn't go through, but it's still worthy of my final point.
UK - one of our better entries. It was never going to win, but I think J&J did a good job with it.
Germany - I loved this song, but got bored of it after a while. The staging was a bit OTT and probably alienated people, but fair play to her for doing her thing.
Azerbaijan - a really well written song, but in a great year, just not quite enough to make my top 10.
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:12 am

Damn, I forgot to mention Poland. Jack Sparrow had a great voice, and although I wanted Margaret to represent them originally, I really liked his song.
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Tansike » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:32 am

12 - Croatia
10 - Russia
8 - Germany
7 - Australia
6 - Bulgaria
5 - Austria
4 - Switzerland
3 - Ukraine
2 - Iceland
1 - Belarus

Loved Ukraine's performance, but overall i like some of the entries (much) more. "Lighthouse" and "You Are The Only One" are two of the best songs of 2016. "Ghost" didn't age well for me but i still enjoy it a lot, while Switzerland took ages to grow on me. Both didn't deserve to flop the way they did.

I also really liked France, Armenia and Latvia.
Azerbaijan, Sweden, Malta, Czechia, Hungary, Netherlands, Belgium and Poland were quite good as well.

A fantastic year with as many great entries that i really like as never before.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:12 pm

#10 AUSTRALIA (1 point) Image

Dami Im - Sound Of Silence

My personal Top 10 kicks off with Australia, the juries' favourite of 2016. Australia has already been a very great and classy addition to the contest since they have come up with two quality entries in a row which are very contemporary sounding and performed by talented artists.
"Sound Of Silence" got an amazing production with almost fragile and soft verses which sound a bit eerie while Dami pulls of a killer vocal performance in the chorus. The song is almost perfect; it just suffers a bit from lazy song-writing. The chorus made me not adore this track because of consisting of only 2 phrases. Dami Im's performance in Stockholm was excepionally brilliant, though! - I am super glad to see Australia becoming a full member of Eurovision. Hopefully, they will be invited for all editions from now on!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Leychen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:45 pm

12 points Bulgaria
10 points Russia
08 points Armenia
07 points Sweden
06 points Austria
05 points Latvia
04 points Ireland
03 points Belarus
02 points Cyprus
01 point Denmark
I was so blind, I could not see | Your paradise is not for me |Last.fm
Leychen
Roadie

Postby Mainshow » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:22 pm

#9 AZERBAIJAN (2 points) Image

Samra - Miracle

It's crazy to think that "Miracle" is my least favourite entry by Azerbaijan since 2009. It's insane how successful this country is on my countdown but I just have to admit that they ALWAYS have very catchy, memorable and interesting entries with an incredible production. "Miracle" might not be a masterpiece but it's a great track with a very infectious hook. Samra's also incredibly beautiful.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:33 pm

#8 Czech Republic (3 points) Image

Gabriela Gunčíková - I Stand

I was so happy to finally see Czech Republic qualify! "I Stand" is a very emotional ballad delivered by a very capable and stunning artist! Gabriela's voice should have been more appreciated by European televoters. I am still in shock that she got Z-E-R-O points by the televoters. She didn't deserve to flop. It was also kind of mean by the Swedish broadcaster and the EBU to let her sing at #2 in the Grand-Final!
However, I am glad she made it on my Top 10 ;)
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:49 pm

#7 ESTONIA (4 point) Image

Jüri Pootsmann - Play

Prior to the contest I seriously thought that this would make the Top 10 in the grand final easily. I was so wrong! - I know that Jüri messed up his performance. Even though his vocals were brilliant, he looked so uncomfortable on stage. It was painful to watch! Also, that trick with the card and his forced smile afterwards was totally out of place and looked simply ridiculous.
However, the song itself is brilliant and I know that this is a very unpopular opinion but I truly prefer "Play" to Estonia's previous entry "Goodbye To Yesterday" (both are brilliant, though).
It's still shocking to see Estonia ending up being last in Eurovision 2016, though. The country didn'd deserve to flop :(
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:55 pm

#6 POLAND (5 points) Image

Michał Szpak - Color Of Your Life

It still drives me mad that Margaret didn't win the Polish preselection. "Cool Me Down" would have topped my ranking this year effortlessly. Poland had its fair shot in winning the whole contest but instead, they went for the epitome of utter cheese. But damn, it's Eurovision we are talking about and sometimes, we all need some catchy cheesy ballads to sing along to! "Color Of Your Life" has everything: Cheesy lyrics which are easy to remember, two key-changes (sooooooo Eurovision-esque) and a brilliant voice!
It's outrageous to see Poland getting ROBBED BY THE JURIES the third year in a row! The country was #5 in 2014 & #3 in 2016 on the rankings of the televoters but the juries always placed the country second to last! - I seriously think that this year, the juries hated Middle European countries for no purpose: #26 Germany, #25 Poland, #24 Austria.

I'm glad the voting system has changed now; so that juries don't have even more power to bring fan favourites or public favourites down like they used to.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:46 pm

#5 CROATIA (6 points) Image

Nina Kraljić - Lighthouse

Croatia finally decided to come back to the contest after being absent for two years. My favourite country in Eurovision hadn't been able to qualify since 2010. That's why I was deliriously happy to see "Lighthouse" doing so well. The ethno-pop track left an impression on me instantly. The arrangement is just stunning; almost anthemic and epic. It's just a pity that Nina was sick during Eurovision. Her voice was clearly shaking at her performance. That dress was also ridiculous and she was really struggling. "Lighthouse" could have been SO MUCH BIGGER. However, Nina had an amazing song and I'm glad to have Croatia back!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:52 pm

#4 GERMANY (7 points) Image

Jamie-Lee - Ghost

Shame on you, Europe!
I completely agree with the New Yorker Times saying that Germany had one of the best entries of Eurovision 2016. "Ghost" was radio-friendly, modern, contemporary and also very unique. The verses got a Lana Del Rey-esque nostalgic atmosphere while the chorus was dreamy, catchy and very memorable. Jamie-Lee also got a very interesting voice and I love it how she plays with it during the whole song (those deep notes are everything!).
Her image is also unique, innovative and should have brought more attraction. I really don't know what went wrong this time. I usually do not blame politics or diaspora votings but "Ghost" and Jamie-Lee didn't deserve to get that last place. The song's got a top-notch production and it's pop music at its best.
I still feel bad for her. This was Top 15 material.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:21 pm

@heppolo
If Elhaida hadn't been ill would you have voted for Albania? - I really adore the track. It's so calm but also stunning at the same time.

It's nice to see Italy being so successful! Personally, I liked Francesca's performance; it was unique and well-thought but at the end, I prefer other entries and that's why Italy didn't make my Top 10 this time (Italy had been part of my Top 10 from 2011-2015, though).

I knew that you would be stanning for the Georgian entry. It's crazy how much love it got by non-Eurovision fans ;) - My mum loved it like crazy when she saw it on TV.

Latvia <3 - Amazing voice, I personally love it that his voice is so strong and heavy compared to the soft electronic arrangement. It's like a contrast. Aminata can't go wrong!

Nice to see Ukraine, it's a well-deserved victory.

Amir was charming but the "youuuuuuuuuhuuuuus" kinda pulled me off. I still like the track but I couldn't get the fuss about it. I think that a #6 place in the end was more than enough :D

I was really happy to see Bulgaria being so high. Poli was excellent!

Australia sent the whole package twice in a row. Hopefully, they will keep up that quality.

Douwe seemed to be indeed a nice guy. He totally got flirty with Samra from Azerbaijan. I'm quite sure they had a fling :D

I'm shocked you hated the Russian entry that much; you will be shocked.

Denmark was indeed horrible. It was way too old-fashioned and the guys were kind of "too old" to come up with a childish Schlager pop track. It was a bit disturbing as well.

I agree with Iceland; I was still a bit sad to see it not qualifying though. Iceland used to smash in Eurovision (2008-2014). It's strange that they didn't qualify twice ina row now.

And I also agree with you on the new voting system! I love it! Finally, juries don't have the power to vote down fan favourites (like they did with Poland 2014 or Montenegro 2013); it's totally fair now.

@Erotica
WOW! That's a very interesting choice! I didn't expect Cyprus to be on top and Georgia coming next on your Top 10! Usually, you seem to love Eurovision-esque pop tracks. That's a real surprise!
It's nice to see Bulgaria, Russia, France, Latvia, Austria and Malta on your list!

It's a shame that Austria and Malta just missed my Top 10 :(

@Airwrecka
Harsh words.
Jamala did not break the rules. She didn't address a politics in a direct way like Georgia did 2009 ("We Don't Wanna Put In/Putin"). Like Germany 1982, France 2015; she addressed the consequences of war. Instead of singing about peace, though, she decided to highlight the dramatic aspects of injustice and war. She connected it to a historical event (like Armenia 2015, France 2015).
Of course, it can be interpreted to be a song levelling criticism on Russia's war against Ukraine and the wrongly annexion of Crimea but that's a thing people think about and interpret. And that's why the song itself doesn't break any rules.
Personally, I think that Jamala did an amazing job. She was brave and very emotional. She sang from her heart in a year in which 75% of the entrants tried to make use of fancy effects. She focused on the core: The soul, the music and the atmosphere.
But I also value your opinion. I just strongly disagree with you on implying that she has broken the rules. That's not the case; the EBU also saw it the way I do.

I am glad that you decided to listen to the songs prior the contest! It's always interesting to see how the personal Top 10 changed after the performances.
It's nice to see Russia and Australia on top! Both countries had mesmerising performances!
Italy was cute and classy.
I also like Croatia, Serbia ;) - I am glad you liked Poland, Azerbaijan, Germany as well!

@Magnus
Interesting to read that 2016 had been a stronger year for you ;) I personally prefer 2015 to it but coming up with a Top 10 this time was very difficult (since I love 14 entries :D ).
It's nice to see Austria on top. It was a bit too cheesy/sugery for me at first but I warmed up to her. Zoe is such a nice and lovely person and she completely deserved to end up being Top 10 in the televoting. Her performance was magical and cute.
It's also nice to see Croatia, Italy, Germany (underrated), Australia, Norway (I'd have loved to see it in the final), Bulgaria, Azerbaijan (people on Ukmix should love that country more) and even Slovenia in your Top 10 ;)

@Tansike
For obvious reasons I love your Top 10. I just think that Belarus and Switzerland weren't great at all. Belarus was simply not my cup of tea and Switzerland was a bit too amateurish for me. The melody was also very annoying if you ask me. I really liked the Swiss entries from 2008 to 2013; but in the last two years, Switzerland had been part of my bottom 5.
Rykka never really grew on me.
I am glad we agree on the other tracks, though!

Wow, so 2016 was your favourite year after all?

@Leychen
I knew that Bulgaria would be topping your list! - Poli was great and very charming!
Nice to see Russia and Armenia. I voted for both in the final. Even though I dislike the Armenian entry, I have to say that Iveta was STUNNING and very PROFESSIONAL on stage! Personally, I think that she had the best performance of the night. She clearly had the X-factor. Nicole Scherzinger wouldn't be able to top that!
What a surprise to see Ireland, Belarus and Denmark!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Noahh » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:46 pm

12 pts. - France
10 pts. - Armenia
8 pts. - Hungary
7 pts. - Czech Republic
6 pts. - The Netherlands
5 pts. - Azerbaijan
4 pts. - Malta
3 pts. - Croatia
2 pts. - Bulgaria
1 pt. - Germany
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:30 pm

#3 LATVIA (8 points) Image

Justs - Heartbeat

Apart from 2000, Latvia has always been my least favourite country in Eurovision but the country has totally stood up its game! Last year, it served us one of the finest innovative electro-pop entries of all times and this year, it continued to submit a quality entry. "Heartbeat" is catchy, innovative and infectious at the same time! Justs has an incredibly astonishing voice as well! I love the raw sound!
Btw, Aminata who represented Latvia the previous year penned the track!

15th place in the final ranking was waaaaay too low! I expected juries to put this track into the Top 5, to be honest.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:35 pm

#2 UKRAINE (10 points) Image

Jamala - 1944

Outanding! - Emotional performance, Jamala pulled her heart out and opened it up to the audience. Incredible vocals and eerie atmosphere. I still get goosebumps when I hear the middle 8 part and her cry during the chorus. It's as emotional as Albania 2012. Personally, I also love to hear the balaban in the arrangement. This must be one of the most interesting and beautiful instruments!
She clearly deserved to win! I also voted for her (among other countries) in the grand final.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Personal Charts