Gravity's Top 20 songs by...Mariah Carey

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Gravity » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:38 pm

I decided to share my lists of my favorite 20 songs by each of my favorite artists with you. I'll start with my favorite artist ever, Mariah Carey :wink:
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Gravity » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:44 pm

First, some honorable mentions (songs that were very close to the Top 20)

Bliss
I'm That Chick
More Than Just Friends
Faded
Stay The Night
For The Record
I Don't Wanna Cry

I love these songs so much, it was hard to kick them out of Top 20! :D
Last edited by Gravity on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:44 pm

Ooh...totally here for this!

Though didn't you spoil the ending already with that thread in Mad About Music? :lol: Not that I mind - I definitely approve of the No. 1 you put there!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Can't wait to see this.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Gravity » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:46 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Ooh...totally here for this!

Though didn't you spoil the ending already with that thread in Mad About Music? :lol: Not that I mind - I definitely approve of the No. 1 you put there!
Lol, I kinda did, but that thread made me rethink some of my choices so the Top 5 will look a bit different :wink:
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Gravity » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:00 pm

20. You're So Cold

The whole Emotions album is amazing in my opinion, and this is one of my favorite songs from it. I love the intro, it totally sets the mood for the song...so passionate & emotional! I love the lyrics, the melody is very catchy and it takes me straight to the church! :D
Gravity
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:00 pm

Gravity wrote:Lol, I kinda did, but that thread made me rethink some of my choices so the Top 5 will look a bit different :wink:
Ah, cool cool cool! I totally know the feeling - I love so many of her songs so much, it's really hard to come up with a definitive/unchanging list of favorites. <3

• "Bliss" - Speaking of that thread in MAM, there was definitely some mad hate for this one, but I don't think it's so bad. I've owned Rainbow for many years, but it took me 5ever to realize that this song is totally a (fairly explicit) sex jam: "you gotta take it slow, just let the feeling grow, until it overflows..." :lol: #sonaive
• "I'm That Chick" - JAM! Love the disco-throwback sound. This prolly should've gotten a proper single push.
• "Stay The Night" - Wasn't this rumored to the lead single at some point? Or at least a single? Any rate, I do like it, but I think it was the right call to just leave it as a strong album track.
• "For The Record" - Great to see you showing E=MC2 a lot of love already! This probably...definitely...should've gotten a release instead of "Bye Bye."
• "I Don't Wanna Cry" - Hmmm....I'd consider this my least favorite of the singles from her debut, but only because I love the other three so much (all three would probably make my overall Top 20 - no matter how much she shades "Someday.")

• "You're So Cold" - Possibly my favorite non-single on Emotions (it's a close call with "To Be Around You.") Love the way she shows off those pipes at the beginning, before the beat kicks in.

Off to a solid start, Gravity! Very much looking forward to the rest! :D
Last edited by phoenix98 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Gravity » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm glad you already like my chart :lol:
Yes, Stay The Night was the original lead single, considered althogether with Say Something.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Gravity » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:45 pm

19. Close My Eyes

It was one of the first songs that caught my attention the first time I listened to Butterfly. I love the melody so much! It's so angelic and it just makes me nostalgic and dreamy. I can relate to the lyrics a lot.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Gravity » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:49 pm

18. Everything Fades Away

This one of Mariah's most underrated songs. It's so dramatic and heartbreaking, you can hear pain in her voice. Male background vocals make it even more ethereal. I'm a sucker for atmospheric, moody songs.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Gravity » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:29 am

17. Rainbow (Interlude)

This is an unusual choice :lol: but I love this interlude so much. The lyrics mean a lot to me, when times are hard I always remind myself of them. I wish it was a full song.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Gravity » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:36 am

16. Dedicated

This one makes me feel sooo good! It's so summery, breezy and nostalgic. This is one of the finest hip-hop inspired bops Mariah ever did.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:35 pm

• "Close My Eyes" - Really lovely. Butterfly has so many incredible tracks that this one gets a little over-shadowed for me, but I still definitely enjoy and appreciate it.
• "Everything Fades Away" - Ha, I actually find this one to be a bit over-rated among fans. It's definitely more atmospheric and moody than the rest of Music Box, which is cool...but I find it a tad...dull :oops: Something about the male singer's voice just sounds off to me too - but I wouldn't be a huge fan of this track even without him.
• "Rainbow" - A surprising choice for a Top 20 list, but it's definitely a lovely interlude. Both of the Rainbow interludes are really great, actually - not sure if I could pick a favorite between the two.
• "Dedicated" - Love LoVe LOVE this one!!! Quite possibly my favorite MIAM track ("#Beautiful" is a pretty close second), and one of the best things she's given us in the '10's. Totally agree about the summery, breezy vibes, and that "Oh, baby, you knoww..." hook is just perfection. <3 <3 <3
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Gravity » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:49 pm

phoenix98 wrote:• "Close My Eyes" - Really lovely. Butterfly has so many incredible tracks that this one gets a little over-shadowed for me, but I still definitely enjoy and appreciate it.
• "Everything Fades Away" - Ha, I actually find this one to be a bit over-rated among fans. It's definitely more atmospheric and moody than the rest of Music Box, which is cool...but I find it a tad...dull :oops: Something about the male singer's voice just sounds off to me too - but I wouldn't be a huge fan of this track even without him.
• "Rainbow" - A surprising choice for a Top 20 list, but it's definitely a lovely interlude. Both of the Rainbow interludes are really great, actually - not sure if I could pick a favorite between the two.
• "Dedicated" - Love LoVe LOVE this one!!! Quite possibly my favorite MIAM track ("#Beautiful" is a pretty close second), and one of the best things she's given us in the '10's. Totally agree about the summery, breezy vibes, and that "Oh, baby, you knoww..." hook is just perfection. <3 <3 <3
I agree about the hook in Dedicated. The whole song is just a perfect summer jam.
Thank you for commenting!
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Nippian93 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:54 am

I love all aforementioned songs, I think Everything Fades Away is my favourite one, can't wait to see more.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Gravity » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:44 am

15. Long Ago

This one often gets ignored as a Daydream album track, but it's my favorite non-single on that album and one of my favorite album tracks from Mariah. I love darker R&B vibe of it and lyrics are great too.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Gravity » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:49 am

14. Touch My Body

This is the song that made me a Lamb so it'll always have a special place in my heart. I love how playful it is. I also love the lyrics-they are very Mariah. The music video is absolutely hilarious and fits the song so well.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Gravity » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:54 am

13. Love Takes Time

Lyrically, I think it's one of Mariah's best. Everything about this song just screams "classic". The melody is great and her vocals are out of this world.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:00 pm

• "Long Ago" - This one's in a similar situation to "Close My Eyes" for me. I do like it, but it's on an album with so many stellar tracks that it gets a bit lost in the shuffle. It's cool that it was one of our first tastes of R&B-flavored Mariah, though.
• "Touch My Body" - Ooh...this is a really pleasant surprise! Fans tend to hate on this one a lot, but I love it. Like "Dedicated", it has this light, breezy, bouncy vibe that sets it apart from most of her lead singles. Underrated gem, IMO.
• "Love Takes Time" - Love this one too! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Gravity » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:06 pm

phoenix98 wrote:• "Long Ago" - This one's in a similar situation to "Close My Eyes" for me. I do like it, but it's on an album with so many stellar tracks that it gets a bit lost in the shuffle. It's cool that it was one of our first tastes of R&B-flavored Mariah, though.
• "Touch My Body" - Ooh...this is a really pleasant surprise! Fans tend to hate on this one a lot, but I love it. Like "Dedicated", it has this light, breezy, bouncy vibe that sets it apart from most of her lead singles. Underrated gem, IMO.
• "Love Takes Time" - Love this one too! :D
I'm glad I'm not the only onw who loves Touch My Body! I agree, it's veryunderrated among Lambs.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby bluecherry » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:35 pm

"Touch My Body" is definitely in my top ten Mariah songs. It's such a fun song to listen to!
bluecherry
Manager

Postby Gravity » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:50 pm

12. Anytime You Need A Friend

This one is just magical. The melody, instrumentation, her vocals...divine. I love how lyrics can be interpreted in two different ways-about a friendship or about a romantic relationship.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Gravity » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:12 pm

11. Butterfly

This one doesn't need many words. Classic and Mimi's signature song. It was one of the songs that made me fall in love with her music.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Gravity » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:14 pm

10. Honey

Flawless R&B bop. I never get tired of this one, no matter how many times I played it.
Gravity
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:43 pm

• "Anytime You Need A Friend" = Like "Everything Fades Away", I often see fans praising this one, but it's actually one of my least favorite singles of hers (from the 90's, anyway) :oops: Do you like the dance mixes too, or just the album version?
• "Butterfly" = Ha, sorry, another one that's just kind of..."meh" for me. It does have some really great lyrics, though: "Wild horses run unbridled or their spirit dies..." The bridge is pretty moving too: "I can't pretend these tears aren't overflowing steadily, I can't prevent this hurt from almost over-taking me..." Ha, maybe I like this one more than I realize!
• "Honey" = BOP! Now this one, I know that I love! Possibly a Top 10 contender for me - definitely Top 20. Super fun, fresh, and sexy.
phoenix98
Legend

Return to Personal Charts