Martin's Top 150 favourite songs of ALL TIME!

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby MadeOfBricks » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:42 pm

Oooops sorry, busy week last week - I started a new job! I am here for you now though babes, don't panic it hasn't died just yet.

Behold:

120 - Puddle Of Mudd - She Hates Me

"She was queen for about an hour
After that, shit got sour"

Number 120 is the only one for complete "who?" merchants Puddle Of Mudd with their angst rock hit "She Hates Me". It's one of those random songs of its time that I completely forgot about, and the band along with it. I have to admit, their other song I remember "Blurry" hasn't really stood the test of time, but this one has. A good shout-along rage anthem, and I can only apologise that the video I've linked to misses out the best part of it all - the swearing.

119 - Carolina Liar - Show Me What I'm Looking For

"Mistakes become regrets
I've learnt to love abuse"

Another lone entry, this time from the anonymous Carolina Liar with "Show Me What I'm Looking For". Some sort of religious soul searching song I'd imagine, but it's great out of that context - a bit of a lonely anthem. I always thought this would make a great X Factor winners single (if such a thing exists), but maybe it's best left out of that side of things given that nobody cares about X Factor anymore. Either way, this is a great rousing pop song. Did it ever do anything in the UK?!

118 - Chrvches - Recover

"I'll give you one more chance
To say we can change our old ways
And you take what you need
And you know you don't need me"

The first of two for the wonderful Chvrches and their single "Recover". I really love this band - they have such a great sci-fi pop sound that I believe is destined for much bigger success than they've ever really had, and beneath all the production and synth are often some really emotional lyrics. Lauren's childlike voice is really affecting too - "The Mother We Share" is much higher up.

117 - Aqua - Doctor Jones

"Doctor - what can I do? Why does he have to be like that?"

I am a child of the 90s, and I feel absolutely no shame for this whatsoever. The often-overlooked follow up to novelty hit "Barbie Girl" - this is a stone cold pop classic if ever there was on. I used to DJ at a throwback night, and this always went down a storm, and I still love is as a bop to cheese out to in the car. Let's be honest, it's very 'of it's time' (to put it politely) yet I love it to this day! Alas, no more from Aqua unfortunately.

116 - fun. - Carry On

"And it's nice to know when I was left for dead
I was found and now I don't roam these streets,
I am not the ghost you are to me"

Another lone entry, this time for fun. and their single that wasn't 'We Are Young' or 'Some Nights'. I think this is a proper euphoric, feel good pop rock song - it really channels their Queen influences and makes something of them, it sounds like they got drunk in Dublin and wrote it in a pub there (as the video semi-depicts). I'm not really sure why this song never really took off in this country - to me, it's by far the best thing this band ever did, and Nate's voice is stunning in this, as it always is.

115 - A1 - Some Old Brand New You

"I can still remember the time, you were there when I needed to hold you, feel you
Everytime I ask you to find a new way, you lie a new way
Is it gone, gone, gone gone gone"

More throwback goodness, this time from 2001 and that time A1 followed up their horrible A-Ha cover (which somehow managed to get them their first #1 single) with this pop gold. Admittedly, it has aged horribley but in a time where N SYNC were the boyband to emulate, I don't think they did such a bad job. I think it's better than N SYNC ever did, personally. I've never been big on a boyband, but I have a soft spot for A1 (hellooooo Ben Adams) and I still love this song now. I really like how it starts off low key, turns into a complete banger and then revisits the start bit, in full banger fashion. Although I find the whole thing pretty marvelous tbh.

114 - The Vaccines - If You Wanna

"I don't want to do things independently
But I can't make you stay
That's what all the friends I do not like as much as you say"

The first of two for The Vaccines, their wonderfully simple single "If You Wanna". They have such a knack for writing a catchy pop song, this was the second song I heard from them (after their astoundingly amazing "Post Break Up Sex" which, for some reason, I've neglected to chart so feel free to include this is as a double #114 if you will) and it was when my love for them was cemented. That whole "What Did You Expect?" album is pretty wonderful to be honest, and it came at a time when that over-saturated indie scene was dying a death, it was nice to hear a band persisting with straight up jams. Lots of songs from The Vaccines which I love, but just couldn't squeeze in - the aforementioned 'Post Break Up Sex', 'All In White', 'Wetsuit' and 'Norgaard' to name but a few.

113 - Cage The Elephant - Shake Me Down

"In my life, I have seen,
People walk into the sea,
Just to find memories,
Plagued by constant misery"

Yet another sole entry, this time for Cage The Elephant and 'Shake Me Down'. I understand that they are mostly known for 'Ain't No Rest For The Wicked' and to a lesser extent, 'In One Ear' but I've always considered this their best song. I've been aware of their other work, but never investigated further - they've always just been plugging away with their noisy, almost country sounding spoken work guitary noise, which is nice but I've never got invested in anything aside from 'Shake Me Down'. There's just something which resonates with me - I finally got to see them play it at Leeds in 2014 and it was one of my highlights of the weekend - completely and utterly sh*tfaced, zoned out for four minutes and enjoyed this for what it is.

112 - Cute Is What We Aim For - The Curse Of Curves

"Her bone structure screams
"Touch her! Touch her!"
And she's got the curse of curves"

Yet yet another sole entry, this time for the Myspace era-defining anthem 'The Curve Of Curves' by relative nobodies Cute Is What We Aim For. Yes, I went through the whole 15/16 years old and thinking I was a little emo kid phase, and this song has stuck with me since then (hard to believe it was ten years ago really, I can still smell the black hair dye now). If you dig a little past the seemingly nonsensical lyrics, it does have a bit of substance to it which is always nice. The only other song of note I ever enjoyed from this band was 'Practise Makes Perfect' which misses out on my list.

111 - New Found Glory - Kiss Me

Finally for this batch is New Found Glory's cover of the Sixpence None The Richer classic "Kiss Me". I think it comes from an album where they decided to cover lots of iconic film soundtracks (there isn't really any other excuse for their excruciating cover of "My Heart Will Go On", to be honest) - and it shames me to think that two of their three entries on my chart are covers from those albums, but this was a bit of a low-key cult anthem back in its day. It still gets played at alternative club nights (or at least it did a few years ago when I actually went to them) and I will forever hold a fondness for it. Other songs of theirs which missed out are 'Drill It In My Brain', 'Hold My Hand', 'Head On Collision' and 'I Don't Wanna Know' - all songs of theirs which I love, and they have one more cover to come!

I'm going to try and get through another ten tomorrow, this is taking longer than I would like. Thanks for the response everyone, didn't expect it at all :)
MadeOfBricks
Manager

Postby Benny » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:38 pm

I totally forgot about this one, beautiful song, what a shame it flopped!
Benny
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:42 pm

I adore Doctor Jones
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:06 pm

112 - Cute Is What We Aim For - The Curse Of Curves
118 - Chrvches - Recover
I'd highlight these ones, Chvrches' sound is so distinctive
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:28 pm

117 - Aqua - Doctor Jones - Love this.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:15 am

117 - Aqua - Doctor Jones
116 - fun. - Carry On

These are nice :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby navi » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:44 pm

MadeOfBricks wrote:120 - Puddle Of Mudd - She Hates Me
118 - Chrvches - Recover
113 - Cage The Elephant - Shake Me Down
great

How can you choose this one over I'm not over
# 19 on my 2008 YEC

I'm going to try and get through another ten tomorrow, this is taking longer than I would like. Thanks for the response everyone, didn't expect it at all :)
Yeah right, tomorrow :wink:
My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)
navi
Superstar

Postby MadeOfBricks » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:17 pm

Never heard I'm Not Over, I'll give it a listen! and heyyy I got two batches done in a week get off my back. I can't cope with this demand. Onwards:

110 - Years & Years - Eyes Shut

"Throw your heart to me
Let it fall and hit the ground
Let it go
Your timing was so wrong
I just want to be found"

My favourite song of 2015 lands at #110 in my all time chart. May seem premaure, but please bear in mind that I first heard this in December 2014 - when it came out as a single it had already been around for over a year, and by far my favourite song of theirs. At the time I wrote:
"King" was my favourite song of 2015 for a lot of the year. Until they unexpectedly released my favourite song of theirs, which was already my favourite before they cleaned it up for the album. Which multiplied my love for it a million more times. I honestly cannot put into words my love for this song - it's so bloody miserable, but every word is so applicable to everybody at some point. That last chorus where it all sort of low-key builds up with that wonderful piano. It could be quite overblown if it were by somebody else - it's very "X Factor Winner" (and I do have a horrible feeling it will get killed on next years show) but they went easy on the choir and to me, "Eyes Shut" is the perfect sad pop ballad. I saw them live in 2015 and they were perfect - it was just as this song was coming out onto the radio and it was the moment I needed with this song. It wasn't their biggest hit, but it connects with a lot of people - particulary me and yes, this is my favourite song of 2015.
Not a lot has changed. Years & Years have one more song on my chart, and navi, I think you'll be happy with it. :wink:

109 - Asaf Avidan - One Day (Reckoning Song) (Wankelmut Remix)

"One day maybe we'll be old,
Think of all the stories that we could have told"

A weird one for me at #109, and one of the only songs you could fit into the dance genre on my entire countdown. For me, this kicked off the whole chillout/tropical house thing that Mr Probz, Lilly Wood and Robin Schulz all got results from although this one largely gets forgotten. I know Asaf Avidan has a whole back catalogue of great, soul/blues material that I have never once sat up and listened to and I really should have done - this remix makes great use of one line of the song, his voice sounds marvelous - I particularly love the crashing ending as the song slows. The main reason I loved it was that I was on a night out for my friends birthday. It was the end of the night, and there was about twenty of us in total. This was the last song of the night, and everybody wilted away as it was never the most well known song but I loved it at the time. Me and (my now best) friend were the only two people left on the entire dancefloor of this massive club in Birmingham literally screaming the words to this song at each other, it must have been a horrendous sight but it always makes me remember "One Day" fondly.

108 - Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You

"Being with you is so dysfunctional
I really shouldn't miss you, but I can't let you go..."

el Clarko's only entry on my chart is her triumphant single "My Life Would Suck Without You". I don't really know why I love this one so much - she has plenty-a-good song but this one has always stood out for me. It's just an out and out banger, excellent to shout along with and I think it came about at a time when people had written her off. She came along, slammed her cards on the table and that was that. Can't argue with a good song, can you?! She's always been an artist I've been fond of (well, ever since "Since U Been Gone", anyway) and although I don't love everything she's ever done, I do appreciate that she's come from that talent show background and come good. She's stayed consistent with her sound, and it's probably why she's still around and doing as well as she is now. Other songs I like from her are the aforementioned "Since U Been Gone" and megaballad "Because Of You".

107 - Jimmy Eat World - The Middle

"Just try your best, try everything you can.
And don't you worry what they tell themselves when you're away."

Absolute anthem "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World at #107. I really love Jimmy Eat World (or JEW, for short) - they make straight up anthemic rock songs without ever straying into cringe Nickelback territory (meanwhile, one of Nickelback's songs is higher up) and this is one of their best. One of their most successful, and I'd say their catchiest. They have one more coming up, and others of theirs that I am fond of, but did miss out, are the iconic "Sweetness", "Always Be" and "Pain".

106 - Kate Nash - Foundations

"You said I must eat so many lemons, coz I am so bitter"

Ah she had to crop up somewhere - the lady responsible for my now rather redundant username lands in at #106 with her signature song "Foundations". Unfortunately this is her only entry, but there are loads of other songs of hers (from her first two albums) that I was close to including. This one, however, is the crown among her set. It's hard not to listen to this song without smiling - she sounds like a right old bitch on it, the song is dripping with witty attitude, but it's so dry and direct it's hard not to crack a little smile. I think a lot of people wrote Ms Nash off as a bit of a one trick pony - she never really matched the success of Made Of Bricks, but I see now that she is doing exactly what she wants to be doing and you can't really complain about that can you? Other songs that were close to being on this countdown are "Shit Song", "We Get On", "Mariella", "Paris" and "Don't You Want To Share The Guilt?"

105 - Paramore - Brick By Boring Brick

"Well you built up a world of magic
Because your real life is tragic"

The first of two for Paramore (or Hayley Williams and her backing band) is the beautiful "Brick By Boring Brick". I have said it on here before that I have a love/hate relationship with Paramore. I don't always love Paramore - there are some songs of theirs that I just don't get - "Misery Business" and "Ignorace" being two examples, but I think that when they're good, they're great. This was the second song of theirs that I really properly got into - the nature of the song means that it's quite visual, and the video compliments it perfectly. There's just something so melodic about the chorus, and it is all executed perfectly, right through to the chanting, clapping ending. I was so close to including "The Only Exception", even moreso with "That's What You Get" but there is one more from them still to come.

104 - Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles

"It's always times like these when I think of you
And wonder if you ever think of me"

*writes a song about walking a thousand miles*
*sits down through the entire video*

103 - Tove Lo - Habits (Stay High) (Hippie Sabotage Remix)

"Can't go home alone again,
Need someone to numb the pain"

Lots of ladies in this round! It was becoming a bit of a sausage fest tho lets be honest. Tove Lo and her only entry on my chart, the excellent remix of "Habits (Stay High)". This was really high up on my chart of 2014, and it has stuck with me since it came out where a lot of songs tend to just fall by the wayside a little bit. There's something so charmingly lonely about it - and even though the remix production is probably my favourite thing about the song (very effective use of the higher pitch and repetition on display here), it doesn't lose the meaning of the song (even though the remix has hacked 75% of the lyrical content of the original away). No more entries from Tove Lo here, largely because the rest of her output was complete and utter balls.

102 - Justin TImberlake - Mirrors

"[i]'Cause I don't wanna lose you now
I'm lookin' right at the other half of me
The vacancy that sat in my heart
Is a space that now you hold
Show me how to fight for now (please show me, baby)
I'll tell you, baby, it was easy
Comin' back into you once I figured it out
You were right here all along"
[/i]

Oh god I've linked the eight minute version, sorry everybody. That chorus tho! Such an epic song. This was actually my favourite song of 2013 on my chart of the year, and I still bloody love it. I first heard it when he performed it at the BRIT awards and I just though the whole thing was so grand and wonderful, I loved it immediately. I really like how he channels his early "Cry Me A River"-like sound, the gospel influenced and somehow brought it up to date all at the same time. The whole thing just flows so brilliantly, a really expertly made pop song. Nothing else from JT on my chart, I'm not really a massive fan if truth be told.

101 - The All-American Rejects - Swing Swing

"The sun is gone, the nights are long
And I am left while the tears fall"

I'm sat here looking at this like "wtf, why didn't I chart this higher?!" but no - the debut single by my favourite band EVER just misses out on my top 100! I really really really loved this song when it first came out in 2003 or 2004 or whenever it was. I remember having their self titled debut album and I took it on holiday with me (played it on my CD Walkman 8-) ) and properly hammered it to death - that whole album was my summer jam and this was the standout track completely. I love the organ sound on it, it really sets it apart from a lot of other songs until it properly lets rip into anthem mode. Basically, an all round fantastic song from a fantastic band who have two more songs still to come.

FIN.
MadeOfBricks
Manager

Postby Benny » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:59 am

"Eyes Shut" is great, it went to number one on my personal chart last year and is among my 20 favourites from 2015.
"One Day" on the other hand is incredibly annoying... :lol:
"Mirrors" is okay but overrated and -played.
"A Thousand Miles" is beautiful, I also like "My Life Would Stuck..." and "The Middle". :D
Benny
Legend

Postby Jack » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:44 pm

My faves so far:

I Try
I'm With You (When I hear this today I get butterflies in my stomach as it takes me straight back to being 13/14)
Imagine
Next To You
Complicated
Bulletproof
Dr. Jones
Same Old Brand New You
My Life Would Suck Without You
A Thousand Miles
Jack
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:02 am

110 - Years & Years - Eyes Shut
109 - Asaf Avidan - One Day (Reckoning Song) (Wankelmut Remix)
108 - Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You
106 - Kate Nash - Foundations
105 - Paramore - Brick By Boring Brick
104 - Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles
103 - Tove Lo - Habits (Stay High) (Hippie Sabotage Remix)
102 - Justin TImberlake - Mirrors

Very strong batch!
"My Life Would Suck Without You" is fantastic! :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby navi » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:50 pm

Not a lot has changed. Years & Years have one more song on my chart, and navi, I think you'll be happy with it. :wink:
What?!
the one you NEVER charted?
navi
Superstar

Postby MadeOfBricks » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:28 pm

navi wrote:
What?!
the one you NEVER charted?
I never said my chart made sense :lol:

Forgive me if my write up is brief tonight, I wrote so much of it out and then closed the tab by accident which is annoying.

100 - Fall Out Boy - Alone Together

"I don't know where you're going
But do you got room for one more troubled soul?
I don't know where I'm going
But I don't think I'm coming home and I said
I'll check in tomorrow if I don't wake up dead
This is the road to ruin
And we're starting at the end "

Astonishingly this is the first of only two entries for Fall Out Boy on my chart of all time. They're another of those bands, much like The All-American Rejects and Kids In Glass Houses that soundtrack my mid-to-late teens and particularly their "From Under The Cork Tree" album is such an anchor to being a little emo mess, I can't believe I didn't chart any of the songs from it. The other entry from here is also from the same album. "Alone Together" is a bit of a triumph for me - I think a lot of Fall Out Boy's more recent output has been a bit too angsy - I much prefer their more melodic work, and this sits right in there for me. Structurally, this song is quite simplistic but I love how each part is more of an earworm than the last, and it builds up wonderfully. When this came out I listened to it on repeat (which I never do) - it ended so abruptly and I wanted it to go on forever! Songs of theirs which missed out are of course, "Sugar We're Going Down", "A Little Less Sixteen Candles...", "Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" (I love a talky bit) and "American Suithearts".

099 - Katy Perry - The One That Got Away

"I was June and you were my Johnny Cash
Never one without the other, we made a pact
Sometimes when I miss you
I put those records on"

Just inside the top 100 is the first entry for Katy Perry and her oft-forgotten single "The One That Got Away". To me, Katy Perry is the perfect popstar. Her material is (fairly) consistent, she has bags of charisma, she makes an effort to perform, and of course, she can't really sing all that well. This was immediately my favourite song from the "Teenage Dream" album - there's no gimmick about it, no flashy production - just a straight up, cute pop song (which I think is what Katy Perry is best at - none of this faux-trap "ET"/"Dark Horse" nonsense thank you). Lyrically, I find it really heartbreaking for some reason - I know it lays on the message quite thick, but I think it's something everyone can relate to. Other Katy Perry songs which do not make it unfortunately are "Thinking Of You", "Hot & Cold" and "I'm Still Breathing".

098 - Bastille - Laura Palmer

"If you had your gun would you shoot it at the sky, why
To see where you bullet would fall
Or will you come down at all?"

Another first of, this time my favourite Bastille single "Laura Palmer" landing in at #98. I love Bastille - one of my favourite bands of the past few years and this is such a visual, atmospheric single that captures everything that they are about, as far as I'm concerned. A good Bastille song is always drum and string heavy, epic, and soaring and this ticks all the boxes. Plus, it has a killer chorus. I love all of their songs, truth be told. I have one more from them, and it is one of their early covers from their "Other People's Heartache" EPs (not "Of The Night", though) - other songs of theirs which probably should have been included are "Flaws", "The Draw", "Bite Down", "Poet", "These Streets", "Dreams (ft. Gabrielle Aplin)" I COULD GO ON.

097 - Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere

"Come on baby, we'd better make a start
Better make it soon before you break my heart"

"Everywhere" by Fleetwood Mac AKA the song with the dancing pony from that advert is my #097, and it is their only entry. I must admit I have never delved any further into Fleetwood Mac's back catalogue at all - I don't have the patience. This song is a bit of a staple at Snobs, an indie/rock/alternative club in Birmingham where most of my late teenage years were spent, and this was on at about 01:45am every week for some reason. It's etched into my brain, and I still love it. So bouncy and happy!

096 - Foals - My Number

Whilst we're talking about Snobs, since this song came out I don't think I've ever been and NOT heard this. It's the indie anthem of the last few years, and how it wasn't a massive massive hit I'm not sure. I really like Foals - as a band, they're consistent and whilst I don't love everything they've ever done, I really like their overall vibe (which is such a douche thing to say). They have one more song still to come.

095 - Steps - Last Thing On My Mind

From Foals, to Steps! My favourite favourite band as a child, I couldn't not include them! There is also one more song from them, alarmingly. I'm not sure what I can say about this to be honest - I just bloody love it. I feel it often overlooked as part of their back catalogue, but evidently I consider it the second best thing they ever did. I loved Steps - I saw them in concert, at Party In The Park's (RIP) - quite how I managed to get away with having a girlfriend for five years I will never know, but this reminds me of being 8 and not caring about anything in the world. *Aiken & Waterman drum break*

094 - The Vaccines - Wrecking Bar (Ra Ra Ra)

The Vaccines check out at #94 with their second of two, the thirty second long wonder "Wrecking Bar". My immediate favourite from their debut album - no frills, all energy, and excellent chanting.

093 - Black Kids - I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend To Dance With You

A band name nobody would get aways with in 2016 (unless they were actually black kids), Black Kids and their very wordy only hit single. I first heard this when Kate Nash did a cover of it for some German radio station. I loved it, as I was a stan 4 her back in 2005 or whenever it was, and there's some beautiful irony that this ends up higher than any of her songs. It's a fizzy indie pop song that still gets played down Snobs (enough already!) and I still love it even though it makes little to no sense lyrically.

092 - Twin Atlantic - Free

"I want to believe - I set my body on fire so I could be free"

Sound the SAM MCTRUSTY alarm, Twin Atlantic are in at #92 with their breakthrough single "Free". I think they have another song to come actually, but I do like them, Sam and his lovely Scottish accent. I know that they're sort of second in command to BIffy Clyro (who have nothing here incidentally) for this sort of thing, but I think they do what they do really well, and this is as anthemic as anything ever needs to be. Also, I saw them at Leeds and they were very good.

091 - Sigma - Nobody To Love

IN 2014 I WROTE:

Likely to be an unpopular choice of number one but IDC, this is my absolute anthem of 2014. Let's rewind to summer 2014 for a second. Kanye West has released his most critically acclaimed album in a while (since crazy) and sitting on there was marmite single "Bound 2". Universally panned as terrible, even with his wife wriggling around on a motorbike not wearing much, he was quickly laughed at and the song sank without a trace (not to me, #22 of 2013 everybody). Let us then fast forward to one year later. Little known remixers Sigma get the bloke from One True Voice / X Factor / Dizzee Rascal's choruses to sing the only good bit off that Kim Kardashian song (which I believe was a stolen sample anyway) and turn it into a massive #1 hit single and anthem of the summer. It's like "Bound 2" never happened. All that aside, I always loved the chorus of "Bound 2" and I think a lot of people did - the idea for this song was obvious. I loved it immediately - the piano, the vocals. It's very simple, but I think it's a magical song that is so captivating despite only having two or three lines. The piano at the start immediately makes me raise both hands in the air and when the vocals kick in I can't help but bellow at the top of my lungs
Still valid. *drops mic*
MadeOfBricks
Manager

Postby Erotica » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:38 pm

I hate that Clarkson song, definitely one of her worst

Everywhere is a nice song
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Benny » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:18 pm

"Everywhere" is by far my favourite song from the last bunch, Fleetwood Mac at their best!
Benny
Legend

Postby navi » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:12 pm

Great bunch
100 - Fall Out Boy - Alone Together
097 - Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere
096 - Foals - My Number
093 - Black Kids - I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend To Dance With You
092 - Twin Atlantic - Free
- Although, Make a beast of myself is my favourite from the parent album

+ upon that 8-) 094 - The Vaccines - Wrecking Bar (Ra Ra Ra)
- My 2nd favorite single of 2010

Shame for Hot 'n' cold, in my opinion only Katy song worth mentioning
navi
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:52 am

099 - Katy Perry - The One That Got Away

"Laura Palmer" is nice, but i never really got into their album that much. Still excited for more stuff from them.
Love "The One That Got Away". It wasn't a highlight of the album at first, but it grew on me and now i think it's actually a little timeless pop classic. The video is amazing!
Tansike
Legend

Postby JimJim » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:48 am

Loving this countdown and the backgrounds to the songs in your life.

Next To You
- I don't care if it is cheesy and by questionable singers, I love this song too, so so much.

I Try
- I had a similar experience, I was relatively young when it came out and I remember it very well from that time as well. But I didn't really come to appreciate it until my late teens really, the key change is amazing!

I'm With You
- A wonderful song, but I have to disagree, she still has fantastic songs, they just don't often make it off the album tracklist

Complicated
- I think this is one of those debut singles (like '...Baby One More Time') that has really cemented itself in pop music history. It still gets airplay to this day and of all her hits, remains the one that people most commonly remember.

She Hates Me
- One of those random songs that somehow by luck became a hit and was very briefly adored, I like it, but I think hardly anyone remembers it! :lol:

Brick By Boring Brick
- ADORE. The pinnacle of a wonderful album, how can you not like 'Misery Business' tho?!

Everywhere
A beautiful Fleetwood Mac song, shame you haven't gotten into them, their Greatest Hits is very good, especially 'Dreams', 'Go Your Own Way' and 'Little Lies', the latter of which is the most similar to 'Everywhere'
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby MadeOfBricks » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:36 pm

Sorry for the delay peoples, been a busy few weeks in the life of MadeOfBricks, I just have not had time to count down another ten songs. BUT FEAR NOT, I DO NOW!

090 - Katy Perry - Teenage Dream

"Let's go all the way tonight
No regrets, just love"

2/3 for Official Perfect Popstar Katy Perry, and the title track from her second album. I have to confess to not loving this so much when it first came out - I had it down as a bit wishy washy but I quickly changed my mind. It's a bit onomatopaeic in that it sounds exactly like what it's called - so dreamy and teenage sounding :lol: I also do love the part where it all slows a bit, and then kicks back in with an almighty "YEAAAAH". Just an all round lovely song to be honest! One last song from Katy Perry to come.

089 - Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love

"Closed off from love, I didn't need the pain
Once or twice was enough and it was all in vain"

The only entry from Leona Lewis, her monster single "Bleeding Love". It encapsulated everything that she needed it to at the time - although it wasn't anything groundbreaking, its sound is pretty unique and it was exactly what Leona needed to do to prove her worth as a winner (outside of having great vocals). I mean, lyrically it is a bit gross how she's always wanging on about opening and closing her veins, but it's just all round goodness, isn't it? Me and my friends had some sort of interpretive dance going on to it at college too - it consisted, basically, of acting out the words for the verses and throwing yourself on the floor repeatedly to the "keep keep bleeding" bit. I actually did it in a club once, we managed to convince a DJ in a gay bar to play it, which is a feat in itself.

088 - Nickelback - How You Remind Me

"These five words in my head,
Scream "are we having fun yet?"

To think of a time before Nickelback had recycled this time a thousand times, to the frustration of EVERY PERSON ON EARTH, yet somehow still managing to retain a moderate amount of success... I was about 11 when this song came out, and literally every other 11 year old loved it, because it was the epitome of edginess when I was in Year 6. Obviously, this was before we all knew what a monster this band would become, but to this day, I still really love this song! It came back into my life when I went away for a long weekend somewhere in Somerset, and we ended up a lovely little pub on a harbour and there was a man playing his guitar and singing. Amongst his set of your standard 40-year-old-playing-guitar covers (Oasis, John Lennon, The Beatles etc etc etc) he did a shout out for requests. Me, thinking that the only thing he'd know from this century would be by Dave Grohl, shouted for anything by Foo Fighters, but he didn't know anything so played this instead. It sort of became a bit of an anthem for that weekend, and me and my friends still listen to it with equal amounts of hatred and fondness.

087 - M.I.A - Paper Planes

"Everyone's a winner, we making our fame
Bonafide hustler making my name"

Another lone entry here, this time for the wonderfully creative M.I.A and her breakout hit "Paper Planes". Whilst I respect a lot of what this lady does, her material doesn't always appeal to me. I'd probably have a little listen to "Bad Girls" "XXXO" and "It Takes A Muscle" every so often, but none of them come close to this one, for me. One of my favourite songs of 2009 (if I had a personal chart of the year back then, this would be up there fighting for #1), it was impossible not to include. There was nothing around like it at the time - it straddles a political message and an excellent production perfectly, and it was all over the radio when it came out. Whilst I don't believe it ever took off properly commercially, I think it's still regarded as a bit of a classic.

086 - My Chemical Romance - I'm Not Okay (I Promise)

"Forget about the dirty looks,
The photographs your boyfriend took
You say you read me like a book but the pages are all torn and frayed"

Legitimately my favourite song from whatever year this came out (2005?) , I was OBSESSED with this song at the time. It is the defining song of that emo kid time in my life, and the whole "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" soundtracked it. I was pretty shit at all of that, truth be told. But whatever, when you're 15, you go through phases, it's a part of life. Everything about this song is magical - the thumping intro, the SHOUTING, the "I'm not o-f*cking-k" - it still gives me goosebumps today and I BLOODY LOVE IT. I studied the video, and I can't get through the guitar solo without bobbing my head along like the guitarist, and I live for "My Watercooler Romance". No more from MCR unfortunately - but "You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison", "Ghost Of You" and "Teenagers" are all close.

085 - Foo Fighters - Best Of You

"I was too weak to give in, too strong to lose"

A bit of a heartbreaker for me at #85, and another only entry, this time for Foo Fighters. I didn't appreciate this song fully until a few years back. I was going through a breakup, and on my way home from work, as I always do, was listening to Radio One. Greg James does a ten minute request thing at about 6pm, and this was on there one night. I'd never really considered this song much, it was just out, successful, and then ignored (by me, anyway) but at that point, it really resonated with me and I've loved it ever since. I love the build up, the sensitive lyrics contrasted with Dave Grohl's angst-ridden vocal, it all just worked. Although fun fact, this was all over the radio when it originally did come out, and it really annoyed me at the time because it sounds as if it should finish about three times before it actually does and it felt really really long! As mentioned, no more for the Foo's but "These Days", "Everlong", "My Hero", "Breakout" and "Long Road To Ruin" really should be on, shouldn't they?

084 - Vampire Weekend - Diane Young

"Nobody knows what the future holds
It's bad enough just getting old"

More from Vampire Weekend, this time the anthemic return to form "Diane Young", the first single from "Modern Vampires of the City". I charted this fairly high on my EOY 2013, here's what I had to say at the time:

"Diane Young" grabbed me right from the first listen. I love the way it explodes straight into the song and it's so in your face and catchy, even as it drops down for the third verse I still find it a captivating listen. Plus, I love the part I've quoted the lyrics from when the song is nearing the end. I love the word play in the title, basically I love everything about this goddamn song! A great year for Vampire Weekend, I'm sure I will listen to the album at some point but for now I'm just gonna enjoy this and their other two songs on my chart because they're all excellent.
I did listen to the album, it was marvellous and they are still one of my favourite bands. I have one more from them still to come, although curiously - fact fans - I charted this as my #5 of 2013, the song remaining featured a little bit lower down in that very same chart but has since OVERTOOK IT!

083 - Taylor Swift - All You Had To Do Was Stay

"People like you always want back the love they pushed aside
But people like me are gone forever when you say goodbye"

A bit of a wildcard at #083, and what appears to be the only Taylor Swift song on my entire countdown. Now, Taylor Swift being the hitler about the copyright to her music that she is, has taken down all the immediate results on Youtube of this song, but I haven't bothered searching much further to bother linking it. It will probably be a controversial choice - but I genuinely believe this to be the best thing she has ever recorded. Admittedly, I don't know much apart from singles and odd tracks from the "Red" and "1989" albums, and I don't love everything I've ever heard from her, this song is a stone cold masterpiece and it is CRIMINAL that messes like "Bad Blood" and "Wildest Dreams" were ever released instead of it. I think it's so charming, it's not as tryhard as the rest of the "Bad Blood" album, whilst still fitting in with the Swifty-goes-pop ethos of "1989", it doesn't betray her earlier country routes in the way that some of the other songs on the album do. The message is sweet and timeless, the chorus is magical and the whole thing resonates with me in a big way. I do like Taylor Swift, don't get me wrong - other songs I was close to including are "Love Story", "Shake It Off", "We Are Never Getting Back Together", "Everything Has Changed" and "Welcome To New York".

082 - London Grammar - Wasting My Young Years

"You'll never know what it's like to be fine"

Another heartbreaker for me, this time from London Grammar with their beautiful single "Wasting My Young Years". I really really love this band - they emerged at quite a lonely time for me, and this song especially pinpointed that feeling perfectly. It's quite depressing, and it doesn't take me back to a happy place, but that doesn't detract from its simplistic charm. Hannah's voice is angelic, and the whole thing is perfect. London Grammar are a band that have really grown with me - I never expected to love them as much as I did, I clocked on quite late with them in truth, but I love everything they're about and I can't wait for more music from them. "Metal and Dust", "If You Wait" and "Hey Now" all miss out unfortunately, but "Strong" is still to come.

081 - The 1975 - Sex

"I;m not trying to stop you, love
If we're gonna do anything we might as well just f*ck"

The only song here for The 1975 is the wonderful "Sex" from their first album. I've done this with a few songs from that year, as with Vampire Weekend and London Grammar before them in 2013, I actually charted "Chocolate" in my top 10 of this year and this much further down, but in the years since, other songs of theirs have shone more for me. "Sex" being an example - whilst I've gone off "Chocolate", "Sex" remains a bit of an underrated gem of the The 1975's. A thing I always notice with this band is that their songs have a bit of a hook that draws your in - this one being the "she's got a boyfriend anyway" line, but the rest of the song is actually so much more than that. My interest in them has all but disintegrated with their new album - "The Sound" is nice enough but the album is a bit meh for me.

Another ten whenever I can be bothered yayyy!
MadeOfBricks
Manager

Postby CrazyCrazy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:52 pm

All of those other MIA songs you mentioned are among my least faves from her, she has so many great tracks though. Really happy you included one of her tracks, "Paper Planes" is great. I like the Foo Fighters track too.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:36 am

My Chemical Romance - I'm Not Okay (I Promise)
I like the music video even more than the song, the last days of pop-punk stardom and the start of a transformation.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:36 am

089 - Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
(087 - M.I.A - Paper Planes)
083 - Taylor Swift - All You Had To Do Was Stay

Great batch. Surprised to see Taylor's track that high on the list, but it's a nice pop track. I like "Paper Planes" a bit, but it's far away from one of my faves that's why the '(/)'. Katy's track is a new pop classic IMO
Tansike
Legend

Postby MadeOfBricks » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks ya'll! Gonna continue before I get into the next week and I'm rushed off of my feet again.

080 - Twin Atlantic - Yes I Was Drunk

"Nothing could stop me leaving
The impulse runs through my blood
I hope you live for your freedom
I hope you enjoy the lust"

SOUND THE SAM MCTRUSTY ALARM ONCE MORE, Twin Atlantic are checking out at #80 with their single "Yes I Was Drunk". This song took so long to grow on me, after I first heard "Make A Beast Of Myself" prior to this song, and completely loved it, I thought this was a bit slow. It turned itself into a slow burner, and now it is my favourite song by them! I saw them do it live at Leeds in 2014 and it was one of the highlights of the whole weekend for me, a really great story of a song which builds up and tells quite a sad little story really. No more from Twin Atlantic, but the only other one which would have come close to being included is the wonderful aforementioned "Make A Beast Of Myself", after "Free" was featured earlier on.

079 - Blink 182 - Adam's Song

"I never thought I'd die alone
Another six months I'll be unknown
Give all my things to all my friends
You'll never step foot in my room again
You'll close it off, board it up
Remember the time that I spilled the cup
Of apple juice in the hall
Please tell mom this is not her fault"

A completely heartbreaking song at #79, and unbelievably, the first of a massive four for Blink 182 on my chart. This song was the one that made me delve deeper into the back catalogue of Blink 182, and it's a side of them I really enjoy - the more emotional one. The song itself was written after a fan comitted suicide, and I think it's executed so beautifully, it really tugs at the heart strings. Personally, I first heard it when I went to see my friend at school play in a band at their first concert. They performed "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5 and a cover of this, and I knew I loved the song straight away. There are three more from Blink 182, although of those "What's My Age Again", "Down", "Feeling This" and "First Date" all miss out.

078 - The All-American Rejects - Gives You Hell

"When you hear this song and you sing along but you never tell
Then you're the fool, I'm just as well
I hope it gives you hell"

The third of four for The All-American Rejects and their signature single "Gives You Hell". I've already professed my love for this band - along with Blink 182, Vampire Weekend etc. who we've also already heard from, they have a special place in my heart! This is one of their ultimate songs for me - I knew I loved it straight away, I knew it would be massive for them. It captures everything that's great about them - lyrically it's sassy and on fire, Tyson sounds fantastic and the contrast between the downtempo verses and the roaring choruses comes off perfectly. One more from them still to come.

077 - The Gaslight Anthem - Here Comes My Man

"Maybe your work will love you
When I'm just not there to hold you
Maybe your pride can be your companion
Oh but I just won't be there to stand for it"

Another passionate rock anthem, this time a lonely entry for The Gaslight Anthem at #77. I have to confess to not hearing another single song from this band - I'm sure I will have heard a few of them incidentally over the years, but this is the only one that has ever registered with me. Chanelling the Pixies song of the same name, it's just a really good song - I can't even remember where or when I first heard it, or when it even came out. It's a perfect "I've had enough!" anthem, and great to sing to your steering wheel on the way home from work, after a particularly testing day.

076 - G.R.L - Ugly Heart

"Okay you're pretty
Your face is a work of art
Your smile could light up New York City after dark
Okay you're coverboy pretty
Stamped with a beauty mark
But it's such a pity a boy so pretty
With an ugly heart"

A song I really wasn't expecting to include at all on this chart ends up at #76! When I was listing up all the songs I knew I should consider, I threw this in as I always forget about it but love listening to it. Since it came out in 2014, I haven't really revisited it but whilst I was making this list I was like "wow, this is such a good song I wish I never forgot about it!" and as I kept crossing songs off, this one stayed in until here! Apart from their horrific name, everything about this song is pop perfection. No gimmicks, no flashy electropop production, just a clever chorus and a fantastic sound. It's tragic what happened to this band, and I think it sort of put the nail in them - had they stuck at it, I do think this song was sort of setting them up for a Pussycat Dolls-esque type of trajectory. Whether it would have ever come off, I'm not sure, but if they carried on delivering songs of this quality, it would have been a valiant, respectable effort.

075 - Frankmusik - Confusion Girl

"Cause' you get the blame,
You're part of her game,
Get swallowed up its such a shame"

The first and only entry for electropop-saviour-that-never-was Frankmusik and his mental first single "Confusion Girl". I've linked the ravey original version, because it's the version I still listen to now after the single edit sucked all the life and soul out of it. I had no idea Holly Valance put in an appearance in that video, how odd! It's a shame Frankmusik never really happened commercially - this, "When You're Around" and "Vacant Heart" are all solid pop songs but I guess the world just wasn't ready. I first heard this when I first discovered Popjustice, this was one of the first songs I read about on there and I loved it right away. I think it was around the time that VV Brown was putting out "Crying Blood" which I found on there too, and I always lump those two songs together for some reason.

074 - Mya - Case Of The Ex

"How you gonna act?
How you gonna handle that?
What you gonna do when she wants you back?"

My god, how dreadful does Mya look in that video? :lol: 2001! When sassy R&B anthems came along daily, and they were all about being done wrong etc etc etc. I long for those days. This is probably my favourite of all those sorts of songs of the time, it is still such an anthem nowadays - still frequently played in the local gay bars and on Kisstory. I have no idea what Mya is even up to these days - I remember quite liking the Moodring album, and obviously she did "Lady Marmalade" but all of that aside, I've no idea. Still, having this song as your legacy is quite a feat in itself. *Z finger click*

073 - Ariana Grande - One Last Time

"I know that you got everything, but I got nothing here without you"

Somehow this song managed only #26 on my chart of 2015 - christ knows how, I think I listen to it these days more than I listen to everything above it put together, in fact there are just two songs from that year left in this chart (althought they did feature higher than this on that chart too). I have said multiple times that my charts don't make sense, get off my chart. One of my more humourous write ups from that chart at the time, I said:
I find absolutely everything about Ariana Grande completely offputting to be honest with you - her offerings prior to this I could appreciate but didn't really love. However for some reason, I really love "One Last Time". It's a ballad-not-ballad, which is nice, but it's quite nice to hear about a girl admitting to being a cow in a relationship, and to hear it from the other side is refreshing. It's a heartbreakingly honest song, and I almost linked the Lauren Murray version, because that's part of the reason it's so high - I didn't realise the true pain of the lyrics prior to it, and I think that's why it boosted this single so much when she sang it on X Factor. It's easy to forget about the lyrical content of the song whilst Ariana is warbling all over the place and wearing foil outfits and sleeping with Big Sean or whatever, but credit where credit is due, this is a great pop song. Not that I didn't love it pre-X Factor, it would still be on my chart regardless.
And I stick by all of it! I really do love it - it's recent pop perfection, and likely the best thing Ariana Grande is ever going to do.

072 - Mr Hudson & The Library - On The Street Where You Live

"All at once am I, multi storeys high
No I'm just on the street where you live"

God, remember Mr Hudson? This was back when he had his Library with him, and the only song from that period on my chart. I was well into him back in the day - his two albums (he may have had more since, I have no idea) were on constant play and I still like to visit them nowadays. Fun story - before he was Kanye West's best mate and Jay Z's go-to male chorus singer, I met him at a gig he was playing, for free, in a library, no less. It was quite a magical thing really, people don't really do that anymore. This is a cover of a song from a musical, I'm told, but I really love his version of it. There is one more song from him, and the following miss out: "Time", "Knew We Were Trouble", "Too Late Too Late", "Bread and Roses" and "White Lies". No prizes for guessing what song is left to include.

071 - The Killers - Sweet Talk

"I’m gonna climb that symphony home and make it mine
Let his resonance light my way
See, all these pessimistic sufferers tend to drag me down
So I could use it to shelter what good I’ve found "

Another of my favourite bands (especially in their earlier years), The Killers, with the first of two entries for them. I believe "Sweet Talk" was featured on their "Sawdust" album, a collection of rare recordings and B sides. This was immediately my favourite from that album, why it wasn't released over that dreadful single they put out with Lou Reed, I have no idea but maybe they thought that he would sell that song on name alone. Either way, let's not let that detract from this beautiful song! It's almost a bit U2-esque, and I love The Killers when they're at their more sensitive. That last post-chorus part I've quoted as the lyrical highlight is a real magical moment in the song, and I'm sad this always seems to get overlooked amongst their best work. Songs which I like, but miss out are "Andy You're A Star", "Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll", "This River Is Wild", "Human", "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine" and pretty much the whole rest of the "Hot Fuss" album apart from "Mr Brightside".
MadeOfBricks
Manager

Postby Benny » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:02 pm

Love the last batch! :D

"Adam's Song", "Gives You Hell", "Case Of The Ex", "Ugly Heart" and "Confusion Girl" are all great, the latter two should've been bigger hits.

What a nice surprise to see the Gaslight Anthem, I love many of their songs, "Here Comes My Man" being one of them.
Benny
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:40 pm

these are great, also Frankmusik
087 - M.I.A - Paper Planes
Erotica
Legend

Return to Personal Charts