Martin's Top 150 favourite songs of ALL TIME!

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Tansike » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:09 am

078 - The All-American Rejects - Gives You Hell
076 - G.R.L - Ugly Heart
073 - Ariana Grande - One Last Time

These are good, Ariana's song is awesome :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby navi » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:30 am

Benny wrote:Love the (second) last batch! :D
085 - Foo Fighters - Best Of You
084 - Vampire Weekend - Diane Young
082 - London Grammar - Wasting My Young Years
081 - The 1975 - Sex
all great
+ MIA, Nickelback and My chemical not bad either

in the last batch only really like 080 - Twin Atlantic - Yes I Was Drunk
My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)
navi
Superstar

Postby MadeOfBricks » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Oh I'm ever so sorry, I got side tracked with life! Another ten:

070 - CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share

"When it all f*cks up
You put your head in my hands
It's a souvineer for when you go"

Starting the top 70 is the second of two for the glorious CHVRCHES and their breakthrough hit "The Mother We Share". It's such a beautiful, sentimental song and I can't believe it's been around for over four years now. It captures everything I love about this band - beautiful electronic production, sweet, sincere lyrics and allows Lauren's childlike vocal to shine perfectly. The lyrics are among their best - I always assumed it was Lauren speaking to a brother or sister because of the title and in that context it comes across as really sweet and genuine. This is as far as CHRVCHES go here, but I have to add a little shout out to "Clearest Blue". It felt a bit premaure putting "Clearest Blue" on this countdown, but I've been hammered that song ever since I first heard it before Christmas, and I now regard it as their best ever work. Definetly one to look out for on my chart of 2016.

069 - Babyshambles - Albion

"If you're looking for a cheap sort
Set in false anticipation
Ill be waiting in the photo booth
At the underground station"

The only appearance for Babyshambles on my chart, and the first of two for Mr Peter Doherty. I'm not sure if it's just me, but this was always my favourite song Babyshambles ever did and I regard it as their standout work from an anotherwise weak set of material from the spin off of The Libertines. Despite all his flaws, Pete Doherty always did have a knack for a painfully honest, British lyric and "Albion" illustrates that perfectly, like the depressed Uncle to his other song on my chart, "Time For Heroes". I feel like Pete's reputation and personal life has overshadowed his music career completely, and his material with The Libertines since their return hasn't done him any favours either, but this is some of his finest work, hence it's inclusion at #69 here.

068 - Kids In Glass Houses - Teenage Wonderland

"When we were young
We made the mistakes that make us what we are today"

I have completely lost track of exactly how many Kids In Glass Houses are included on my chart - probably the most of any other atist on this chart, and this is the latest entry for them, one of the better offerings from their patchy album "In Gold Blood". It sounds like an instant classic - beginning like a modern U2 song (I mean that in the nicest possible way) and then soaring straight into a Kings Of Leon anthem. It's a nostalgic, reflective song and one of the best things this band has ever done. I say this every time I include a song by them, but it's such a crime that they never acheived more success. A band that deserved so much more. If my calculation is correct, there is just one more entry from them.

067 - Bipolar Sunshine - Where Did The Love Go?

"I know that the last man broke your heart
No need to keep on crying
Why don't you just give me a try, see if I can make you happy?"

When he's not busy providing guest vocals to the latest massacre from DJ Snake, Bipolar Sunshine is making lovely wistful pop music, and this is the finest example of what he does best. Previously the singer for oft-forgotten indie outfit Kid British, they disbanded when they realised that indie music wasn't a thing anymore and he look the decision to start a solo career. Bipolar Sunshine sort of trailed off after this song, with the dreadful "Deckchairs on the Moon", but this and "Love More Worry Less" are perfect summer pop songs, despite the downbeat lyrical content of "Where Did The Love Go?". It's a sweet little song with a lovely message I think we can all relate to, about trying to restore somebody's faith in love and written in a really earnest, honest way. No more from Bipolar Sunshine I'm afraid!

066 - Shakespears Sister - Stay

"You'd better hope and pray that you make it safe,
Back in your own world"

From one depressing ballad to another, this time in the shape of two crazy bitches with a song released in 1992. This inclusion has almost nothing to do with Cher Lloyd perfoming it on X Factor in 2010, however it did bring this song back to public attention, where it should have always been. I can't really say much else about it - it's just a beautifully desperate, haunting ballad that does what it needs to, and does it perfectly.

065 - Wolf Alice - Bros

"Remember when we cut out hair?
We both looked like boys, but we didn't care
Stick it out, together, like we always do"

A lovely ode to sisterhood at #65, this time from indie grunge outfit Wolf Alice, and thier only entry on my chart. One of the handful of songs from 2015 on this chart, and by my (entirely inaccurate) calculations, there is only one more from last year still to come. This made my top 10 of that year, and has stuck with me ever since. I just think it has a really good "sound" - I can't quite put my hand on it - I think it is a combination of the low key garage rock sound, the almost psychadelic guitar, the sweet lyrics and the sounds at the end which sound like she's singing underwater. A cute song.

064 - Placebo - Special Needs

"Remember me when you're the one you always dreamed
Remember me whenever noses start to bleed
Remember me, special needs"

Oh it's all getting a bit emotional this round. This time with "Special Needs", Placebo's second and final entry. A bit of a marmite band, Placebo, but I really love what I've heard from them (that being the entire "Once More With Feeling" collection, and the "Meds" album) but I really really love this song. I'm not sure what it is about it, maybe the open, frank and downright depressing lyrical content, but it properly gets me in the feelings, "Special Needs" does. Placebo out.

063 - Years & Years - Real

"If I had been enough for you, would I be better, would I be good?
And I'll do what you like if you stay the night"

Another second and final entry, this time for my band of 2015, the marvellous Years & Years with, by far and away, my favourite song they've ever done. Considering they had two entries on my chart of 2014 and three in the top 10 of 2015 alone, you'll be surprised to know that I cottoned onto this one quite late. My rush of love came for them in October 2014, the time when I first heard "Desire". Upon hearing it, I waited a few months and downloaded all of their songs that existed, this being one of them, and an early version of "Eyes Shut". I wasn't even aware that this was a single, if I was, it would have quite easily been in my top 10 of 2014 but ignorance was bliss. It's just such a gloriously honest song, and it suited my position at that point in time (single, lonely and not happy about it) and coming out of a short stint seeing somebody, the desperate and clingy nature of the song resonated with me a bit. And it has a brilliant hand clap beat, which is always a bonus in a pop song.

062 - Hellogoodbye - Here (In Your Arms)

"Our lips can touch
And our cheeks can brush
Our lips can touch. Here."

One of the most euphoric choruses to ever exist in modern pop music at #62, and it features on the criminally forgotten "Here (In Your Arms)" by Hellogoodbye. I have no idea why, but this song just makes me want to cry with happiness - and I cannot explain my reasoning! It makes me want to run through fields and skip along a beach or something equally as overblown. I think they were seen as a bit of a novelty one hit wonder of their time (later rebranded as Owl City, of course) but delve a bit deeper and some of their other material was alright, too. They made a mistake by following this up with two abysmal singles when they had the wonderful "Saw It On Your Keyboard", "Touchdown Turnaround" and "Two Weeks In Hawaii" sitting unused on their albums, but they didn't make the cut here.

061 - All Saints - Pure Shores AND All Saints - Never Ever[/url]

For reasons unknown to me, I made the obscene decision to omit "Never Ever" from my chart entirely, so we are doing what the 90s did best here, and classing this as a DOUBLE A SIDE ENTRY. Because that is now allowed. Let's be honest, they're both 10/10 pop songs, so we will start with "Pure Shores", which was what I originally included. I was well pissed off at the time it came out because it was the biggest selling single of the year, and the Bob the Builder came along and outsold it in about three weeks flat, and this was relegated to #2. It was so so loved at the time though, and it's easy to see why - it's a classic, timeless song with production for days and, in my opinion, wouldn't sound out of place were it spruced up for a re-release today. Living in hope for "Pure Shores 2016". "Never Ever" not so much - that needs to stay in 1997, but I still love it and I love for the spoken intro. Nobody does it like the Appletons. Not even Kerry Katona on "Whole Again" (which also missed out, rather puzzlingly). Two strong entries from All Saints to finish out this round!

I'll try my best to behave and update a bit more frequently, as we get to the business end!

I'm going to try and get through another ten tomorrow, this is taking longer than I would like. Thanks for the response everyone, didn't expect it at all :)
MadeOfBricks
Manager

Postby heppolo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:25 am

066 - Shakespears Sister - Stay
One of my all-time greats
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Benny » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:47 am

Nice to see 'Stay' and 'Special Needs'. :P
Benny
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:22 am

061 - All Saints - Pure Shores AND All Saints - Never Ever

Really like both of them :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby navi » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:53 am

9 good or great songs,
only one (at # 62) weak

Pure Shores was meant to be on follow up to Ray of light album.
but Madonna already met Mirwais
My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)
navi
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts