bluecherry's HEM Awards 2016

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby bluecherry » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:46 pm

Hello, and welcome to my 2016 thread for the HEM Awards. "HEM" comes from the Honors for Excellent Music, with my user being placed in front of that. The award began in 2011, so this is the sixth annual award show! Last year celebrated the calender year of 2014, and this year we celebrate the excellent music released in 2015! Last year saw Nicki Minaj take home six awards, Ariana Grande also with six, K. Michelle with three, Lana Del Rey and Tinashe with two.

This year reflects the biggest success stories of 2015, and the show will consist of the awards being given out, but also performances of artsists (these will be live performances from other award shows and television shows). Hopefully this creats it as an 'event'.

So as we prepare for the awards, I'll begin releasing the categories and their individual nominations. So let's begin with some of the main categories.
Last edited by bluecherry on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Our biggest category is 'Album of the Year'. So let's have a look at our nominees!

Our first nominee 'Jackie' by Ciara was certified seven times platinum. The pop-influenced R&B album spawned two number one singles which have both been certified diamond. The first single 'I Bet' has received several nominations as well. Ciara has previously been nominated once, in 2010, 'Basic Instinct' was nominated but eventually was beat by Nicki Minaj's 'Pink Friday'. Despite only releasing two singles, the many bops resulted in a 7x certification with a new certification due soon.

Our second nominee Fifth Harmony released their album in January last year. The album resulted in three number one singles including three-week chart-topper 'Worth It'. 'Bo$$' and 'Sledgehammer' also reached number one in 2014. Despite having only releasing three singles, the consistency of the album resulted in continual listing causing it to be released 9x times platinum last year. The album should be certified diamond in the coming months. Their debut album is their first nomination.

Our third nominee is Marina and the Diamonds: 'FROOT' is her third consecutive album to have been nominated in this category. 'The Family Jewels' was another casualty to 'Pink Friday' in 2010, and 'Electra Heart' just lost to Lana Del Rey's monster of 'Born to Die'. The album has just been certified 5x Platinum, which will be confirmed on my chart this Thursday. 'FROOT' spawned two number one singles, and a top ten single, with all three being certified at least platinum.

Selena Gomez's second solo album becomes her first solo nomination and her second nominated album overall. 'When the Sun Goes Down' originally lost out to Beyonce's '4' in 2011. 'Revival' has also been a colossal hit, being certified 9x Platinum. With three multi-week number ones, and a top ten promotional single, 'Good for You' received a diamond certification, and 'Same Old Love' and 'Hands to Myself' are on their way.

Carly Rae Jepsen's sophomore album becomes her first nominated album and also means that an artist who has never won the award before will win. 'Emotion' has spawned four top ten singles, with two reaching the top ten. The album ha recently been certified 5x Platinum, and is a major comeback from her debut album.

Who do you want to win? What do you think of the albums nominated?
Last edited by bluecherry on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Our next major category is Song of the Year. So let's look at our nominees!

Our first nominee is the diamond certified 'Feeling Myself', the second official collaboration between megastars Beyonce and Nicki Minaj held the number one position for three weeks over May and June last year. The track continues Nicki's streak as the only artist ever to have been nominated in the category every year (for 'Moment 4 Life' in 2011, 'Super Bass' and 'Til The World Ends (Femme Fatale Remix)' in 2012, 'Starships' in 2013, 'High School' in 2014, and 'Pills N Potions' last year) , will this be the year she finally wins? The track was one of the major success stories from the massive 'Pinkprint' album, and could become Nicki's first win. Beyonce has been more successful in the category, winning in 2012 for 'Countdown'. She has received nominations every year apart from 2013, where she was notably absent. Her nominations have come from 'Telephone' in 2011, 'Drunk in Love' in 2014, and 'Partition' last year. This would mark her fifth nomination making her the second artist to achieve this.

Ciara's nomination is her first. 'I Bet' was the second biggest selling single of last year, with it being certified diamond as well has having two weeks after it's debut at number one. The comeback ballad marked a softer side and worked really well on the charts becoming one of six songs to be certified last year, and one of eight songs total (after 'Good for You' and 'Dance Like We're Making Love' received their certifications earlier this year. The track is her first single to be nominated in the category after 'I'm Out' and 'Ride' failed to make the shortlist (after being part of the long list) in their respective years.

'Worth It' becomes Fifth Harmony's second consecutive nomination after 'Bo$$' last year, making them the first group to have achieved multiple nominations. The track was certified diamond last year after a successful chart run that included three weeks at number one, it was their third consecutive diamond single. This is Kid Ink's first nomination in the category meaning he is one of seven male rappers to be nominated (Jay-Z for 'Drunk in Love', Lil' Wayne for 'High School', Big Sean for 'Lay it On Me', Mac Miller for 'The Way', Drake for 'Moment 4 Life' and Selena Gomez for 'Good for You').

Rihanna's 'Bitch Better Have My Money' becomes her second nomination after 'Rudeboy' was nominated for the 2011 awards. It means she is the third artist to have multiple solo songs nominated without featuring artists. The track was certified diamond after a highly successful music video and a two-week journey at the top of the charts.

Selena Gomez's 'Good for You' marks her second nomination (after 'Love You Like a Love Song'). The track performed impressively becoming the longest-charting hit ever by a female with over thirty weeks in the top forty. The diamond certified hit also gives A$AP Rocky his first nomination!

Who do you want to win? What do you think of the nominees?
bluecherry
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Beautiful visuals (as always), blue :D Awesome to see that Ari really cleaned up last year!

Album-wise...well, the only one I own is E•MO•TION :lol: but even if I'd heard the others, it would almost certainly still get my vote anyway. I've adored Carly ever since CMM started taking off here in the States, which prompted me to delve into her discography, and E•MO•TION very much kept that love burning strong. It sounds like it was her first album to really catch your attention, and I'm very glad that it did!

Song-wise...the only one I haven't heard is "I Bet." I'm rooting for "Worth It", since it's definitely my favorite of the bunch, but I do enjoy the other three too. Apart from the first one (which I don't recognize), I love all of the previous winners too!

Great stuff, blue!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:08 am

I'm always here for some awards 8-)

Fantastic nominees in the album of the year category, as i like all five!
The best one of these for me personally would be "Froot" by Marina, followed by "E-Mo-Tion" by Carly and Selena's "Revival". The other two albums were a positive surprise for me though, as i'm usually not that into Ciara and i didn't expect Fifth Harmony to deliver such a great debut album. So every winner would be deserved, but i'm rooting for Marina :)

When it comes to the song of the year, i love to see "Heart Attack" and "We R Who We R" as previous winners :D
From the current nominees, i'd love to see Good For You as the winner, as this is my clear fave from all these :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:43 pm

LET'S SEE OUR NEXT BATCH
(previous winners l-r: Nicki Minaj, Beyonce, Lana Del Rey, Beyonce, Nicki Minaj)
(previous winners l-r: J. Cole, Jason Derulo, Frank Ocean, Kanye West, Bruno Mars)
(previous winners l-r: Neon jungle, AlunaGeorge, Cover Drive, Selena Gomez & the Scene, The Saturdays)
Thank you for your comments so far!
bluecherry
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:34 pm

Female...obviously my vote's for Carly, but if I put my stan goggles down for a second, it's hard to deny what a massive impact Adele had in 2015. I'd be cool with Selena too, since I've definitely liked all of the Revival singles, and she's been consistently racking up Hot 100 hits like never before in her career.

Male...I mean, if we're going by sex appeal, Nick by miles and miles and miles. Music-wise...The Weeknd had an incredibly impressive year, taking the mainstream scene by storm with a string of massive hits. Bieber managed such an impressive comeback, scoring his biggest hits ever, all of which I've enjoyed. I definitely like Blue Neighbourhood too, though...it's actually the only full album I own from any of these fellas...so this one's a tough call!

Group...it's between Fifth Harmony and Years & Years. Both acts put out multiple excellent singles last year...but I'd probably give a slight edge to Y&Y, speaking for myself. Also - awesome to see The Sats were former winners in this category! Totally didn't realize you were a fan of theirs. I really hope we get new music from them (sooner rather than later.)
phoenix98
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:03 pm

(Previous winners l-r: Lana Del Rey, Natalia Kills, Lana Del Rey, Coldplay, Florence + the Machine)
(Previous winners l-r: Lana Del Rey's "Ultraviolence, Natalia Kills' "Trouble", Lana Del Rey's "Born to Die", Coldplay's "Mylo Xyloto", the xx's "the xx")
(Previous winners l-r: FKA twigs' "Two Weeks", AlunaGeorge's "Attracting Flies", Marina and the Diamonds' "How to be a Heartbreaker", Coldplay's "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall", Florence + the Machines's "Cosmic Love)
bluecherry
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:16 pm

:o :D GRIMES!!! <3 <3 <3

As you've seen on my chart, I've been pretty obsessed with her ever since I finally checked her out about a month ago...so she's clearly got my votes. Art Angels is the only album I own in that bunch anyway, so I guess she'd win for me by default. :lol:

I actually haven't heard any of the nominated songs :oops: but I'll be sure to check out the winner!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:16 pm

(Previous winners l-r: Ariana Grande, Ariana Grande, Bridgit Mendler, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha)
(Previous winners l-r: Ariana Grande's "My Everything", Ariana Grande's "Yours Truly", Bridgit Mendler's "Hello My Name Is...", Selena Gomez & the Scene's "When the Sun Goes Down", Ke$ha's "Animal")
(Previous winners l-r: Ariana Grande's "Break Free" featuring ZEDD, Demi Lovato's "Heart Attack", Bridgit Mendler's "Ready or Not", Cobra Starship's "You Make Me Feel So..." featuring Sabi, Ke$ha's "We R Who We R")

Again, it's great to hear what you think of our nominees so thank you for your comments so far!
Last edited by bluecherry on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:38 am

Female AOTY: Love them all :cry: My fave would be Selena, probably followed by Adele who had an incredible last quarter

Male AOTY: I'm rooting for The Weeknd, easily. Justin had a great year as well, but The Weeknd released the better album for me. Wouldn't mind seeing Troye/Nick winning.

Group AOTY: Interesting category, and once again i like them all :o This is really hard. Major Lazer easily had the best hits out of the nominees, while Coldplay had the best Album. So i hope one of them wins, but the others would be fine as well :)

Alt. ArtistOTY: Grimes, easily! i adored Lana to death until not too long ago but her 2015 wasn't a good year IMO, but if she or Marina wins this it's okay too.

Alt. AlbumOTY: Grimes, once again. Lana/Marina would be good winners too.

Alt. SOTY: Marina, easily.

Pop ArtistOTY: Again, i like them all :lol: Selena is probably my fave, followed by Adele and Carly. But i guess Fifth Harmony will win this.

Pop AlbumOTY: All good albums, but "25" and "Revival" are my faves, while i think "Reflection" will win this.

Pop SOTY: Your taste seems flawless :cry: I'm rooting for "Good For You", but i'd like to see them all winning & i guess "Worth It" will win it.
Tansike
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:29 am

(previous winners l-r: K. Michelle, Beyonce, Frank Ocean, Beyonce, Rihanna)
(previous winners l-r: K. Michelle's "Anybody Wanna Buy a Heart?", Beyonce's "Beyonce", Frank Ocean's "channel Orange", Beyonce's "4", Usher's "Raymond v Raymond")
(previous winners l-r: K. Michelle's "Can't Raise a Man", Beyonce's "Drunk in Love" featuring Jay-Z, Frank Ocean's "Thinkin Bout You", Beyonce's "Countdown", Ciara's "Ride" featuring Ludacris")
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:01 pm

(previous winners l-r: Nicki Minaj, Eve, Nicki Minaj, Nicki Minaj, Nicki Minaj)
(previous winners l-r: Nicki Minaj's "The Pinkprint", Eve's "Lip Lock", Nicki Minaj's "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded", Drake's "Take Care", Nicki Minaj's "Pink Friday")
(previoius winners: Nicki Minaj's "Pills N Potions", Pitbull's "Timber" featuring Ke$ha, Nicki Minaj's "Starships", Nicki Minaj's "Girls Fall Like Dominoes", Nicki Minaj's "Moment 4 Life" featuring Drake)
bluecherry
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:20 am

R&B ArOTY: Ciara, easily. But only because i don't know the others too well.

R&B AOTY: I really liked Ciara's Album, but The Weeknd's album was truly brilliant IMO so i'm rooting for him.

R&B SOTY: Just like the AOTY category, i also liked both Ciara and The Weeknd here, but i prefer "The Hills" more than "I Bet" (plus i also prefered "Dance Like We're Making Love" more than "I Bet" so if that one would have been nominated it would have been my fave i guess)

Hip-Hop ArOTY: Love Nicki's "The Pinkprint", shame she didn't make a better era out of it, as there would have been several great choices for singles. But 2015 was actually 'weak' for her and Kendrick kinda 'slayed' so i'm rooting for him.

Hip-Hop AOTY: Kendrick!

Hip-Hop SOTY: "Feeling Myself" FTW :)
Tansike
Legend

Return to Personal Charts