Deconstructing Leo 2.0 | 2017 | Complete Winners

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby leomedar » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:05 am

heppolo wrote:I'd personally put Saint Etienne above Gorillaz, the latter had a relatively disappointing album not up to their own standards.
I like some Saint Ettienne songs more, but as a whole Humanz is better imo. Has more songs I enjoy and a darkest feeling around it that gives it more relistening status.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:57 pm

10. J-Ax and Fedez feat. Stash, Levante - Assenzio
Italian pop-rap. I always enjoy some italian music around. Nice pre-chorus.

9. Rozalén - La Puerta Violeta
Beautiful song, her voice is really nice, I like how she plays with it.

8. CNCO - Reggaeton Lento (Bailemos)
Guilty pleasure. Perfect to dance and have fun!

7. J Balvin & Willy William - Mi Gente
DOPE. REally catchy and addictive.

6. Mon Laferte feat. Juanes - Amárrame
Chilean artists are really captivating me, with their originality and artistry.

5. Maluma - Felices Los 4
One of my kid's favourite of the year, I cannot help but love it.

4. Shakira feat. Maluma - Chantaje
Shakira is one of the best artists imo. She really deliver great tracks one after the other. And my kid also loves this.

3. GOLD MEDAL: Luis Fonsi feat. Daddy Yankee - Despacito
Hot. Addictive. Overplayed. Guess wahat... My kid loves it.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Juana Molina - Cosoco
I went to see her life and it was one of the best moments of the year. Her siren voice is so beautiful and her music original and free.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Café Tacuba - Futuro
Cafe Tacuba at their best. Great song and video.

6. Joaquin Sabina - Lo Niego Todo
His lyrics and singing style, like he is telling you a story, is great. A good comeback. Highlights: Quien Mas Quien Menos, No Tan Deprisa, Lo Niego Todo, Canción De Primavera

5. J-Ax and Fedez - Comunisti col Rolex
Some cool italian rap songs, and J-Ax character is very likeable. Highlights: Senza Pagare (feat. T-Pain), Assenzio (feat. Stash & Levante), Comunisti col Rolex, Il Giorno E La Notte (feat. Giusy Ferreri), Mileno Intorno, Vorrei Ma Non Posto, Piccole Cose (feat. Alessandra Amoroso)

4. Shakira - El Dorado
Latin Pop at their best, Shakira knows how to do it, highlights: Me Enamore, Nada, Chantaje (feat. Maluma), Amarillo, Perro Fiel (feat. Nicky Jam), Trap (feat. Maluma), Coconut Tree, La Bicicleta (feat. Carlos Vives), Deja Vu (feat. Prince Royce), Toneladas

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Café Tacuba - Jei Beibi
They released one of the best albums of their career. Highlights: 1-2-3, Matando, Enamorada, Futuro, Resolana de Luna, Que No, Disolviéndonos

2. SILVER MEDAL: Mon Laferte - La Trenza
Chilean cumbia, with nice melodies and fun rhythm. Highlights: Pa' Donde Se Fue, Que Si, Ana, Amarrame (feat. Juanes), Yo Te Qui, Primaveral, Flaco

1. GOLD MEDAL; Juana Molina - Halo
Paraguaya opens up the album and you will never be the same. Highlights: Paraguaya, Sin Dones, In The Lassa, Cosoco, A00 B01, Estalactitas
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:21 am

10. Killers - The Man
The Killers delivered a quite good song here, and Brandon's vocals are on point.

9. Arcade Fire - Everything Now
Great song, makes me dance and jump and fool around and love that,

8. Ride - Charm Assault
I discovered Ride some time ago thanks to navi and this new song was a very good one.

7. Feist - Pleasure
Edgier song by Feist. A welcome effort.

6. Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
Quite cool. But then it was overplayed and all around and ki nd of lost its magic.

5. Metallica - Atlas, Rise!
After seeing them live in Lollapalloza Argentina 2017 I thought I was going to award them with all the glory. Time went by and they are my number 5. Still love this.

4. Father John Misty - Total Entertainment Forever
Interesting song and video. I paid more attention to this after seeing stevyy was heavily promoting it, and liked it a lot.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Tori Amos - Up The Creek
Tori delivered one of her most caring albums of the last decade, and this song summarizes her albu, Great song. Glad she proved me she can still deliver quality music.

2. SILVER MEDAL: xx - Say Something Loving
Voices embracing a song. Beautiful.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Royal Blood - I Only Lie When I Love You
A great example when the sophomore effort exceeds the first one. Great!!!

6. Spoon - Hot Thoughts
A good and solid effort but not completely impressive. Highlights: Hot Thoughts, WhisperI'lllistentohearit, Do I Have To Talk ou Into It, First Caress, Can I Sit Next To You, I Ain't The One

5. Dispatch - America, Location 12
Interesting rock songs. Highlights: Be Gone, Only The Wild Ones, Curse+Crush, Paitned Yellow Lines, Skin The Rabbit, Rice Water, Windylike, Ghost Town

4. Killers - Wonderful Wonderful
They allways seem to me to be more of a single band than an album band. The album closer, HAve all songs... is just perfect. Highlights: Wonderful Wonderful, The Man, Rut, Life to Come, Some Kind of Love, Have All The Songs Been Written?

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Royal Blood - How Did We Get So Dark?
Great sophomore effort. Glad they could deliver again. Highlights: How Did We Get So Dark?, Lights Out, I Only Lie When I Love You, She's Creeping, Don't Tell, Hole In Your Heart.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-Destruct
Power!!! I missed them, and it is great to revisit them today again. Highlights: Hardwired, Atlas Rise!, Now Taht We're Dead, Moth Into Flame, ManUNKind, Murder One, When A Blind Man Cries.

1. GOLD MEDAL Tori Amos - Native Invader
Reindeer opens up the album and you already know Tori is delivering one of her classic sounds. I was so happy when I finally dive into this album and realized she was putting there er best version again. Highlights: Reindeer King, Wings, Broken Arrow, Cloud Riders, Up The Creek, Breakaway, Wildwood, Chocolate Song, Bang, Climb, Bats, Mary's Eyes
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 am

10. Kip Moore - More Girls Like You
Easy listening and radio friendly track.

9. Tim McGraw & Faith Hill - Speak To A Girl
The royal couple delivers a nice tune, not ambitious, not completely original but cute.

8. Alison Krauss - Losing You
Her voice is magical, the song is simple and good.

7. Miranda Lambert - Tin Man
Quite nice ballad, smooth and nice lyrics.

6. Tyler Childers - Whitehouse Road
Veery promising song and album!

5. Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - Hope The High Road
Another competitive bunch in which one early favourite falls early. Jason delivered a very good album and this song is really outstanding.

4. Rodney Crowell feat. Rosanne Cash & John Paul White - It Ain't Over Yet
The guitar. the style, the collaboration, so many good points in this song.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Midland - Drinkin' Problem
A really good discovery this year. A mix of a classic sound and a brand new fresh track.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Little Big Town - Happy People
Everybody praises Better Man but this is the true gem imo. Uplifting song.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Chris Stapleton - Broken Halos
Soooo good. His voice is amazing. Such a good track.

6. Blue Rodeo - 1000 Arms
A very classic sound, it really captures the escence of so many classic country songs in the production and arrangements. Highlights: Hard To Remember, I Can't Hide This Anymore, Jimmy Fall Down, Long Hard Life, Superstar.

5. Miranda Lambert - The Weight of These Wings
An ambitious album with cool highlights: Runnin' Just In Case, Highway Vagabond, Ugly Lights, You Wouldn't Know Me, Getaway Driver, Vice, Smoking Jacket, Use My Heart, Tin Man, Good Ol Days, Things That Break, Well-Rested, Keeper of The Flame, Dear Old Sun, I've Got Wheels

4. Tyler Childers - Purgatory
Interesting ride: I Swear To God, Feathered Indians, Whithouse Road, Purgatory, Universal Sound, Lady May

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Chris Stapleton - From A Room: Volume 1
Broken Halo is just the begining... Other highlights: Last Thing I Needed..., Second One To Know, Up To No Good Livin', Either Way, Without Your Love, Them Stems

2. SILVER MEDAL: Little Big Town - The Breaker
Happy People opens their last effort that is, imo, their more strong and cohesive album of their career. Lost in California, Free, Drivin' Around, We Went To The Beach, Better Man, Rollin', Don't Die Young Don't Get Old, Beat Up Bible, When Someone Stops Loving You, The Breaker. Almost gold!

1. GOLD MEDAL: Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound
Last of My Kind starts a fantastic ride, with some extraordinary songs such as Tupelo, White Man's World, If We Were Vampires, Anxiety and Hope The high Road. At points with the production I felt I was listening to Elliott Smith.
leomedar
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:38 am

Chris is the multi-medalist, deservingly so.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby leomedar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:32 pm

10. Jidenna feat. Nana Kwabena - The Let Out
First album, promising start.

9. Vince Staples - Big Fish
Slight touches of electronic sound from Vince's second album.

8. J Cole - Change
'My intuition is telling me they'll be better days'. It has a 90s vibe around it that I like, it is more about the rhymes and then the rhythm than just beats.

7. Common feat. Stevie Wonder - Black America Again
Powerful lyrics.

6. A Tribe Called Quest - We The People
Amazing song, I was sure I would award this with simething throughtout the year but eventually I decided not to, but def this is a highlight of the year, so intense, it starts at a very high point.

5. Tkay Maidza - Simulation
Addictive! Impossible no to dance with this.

4. Jay-Z - The Story of OJ
Poor Jay, Grammies left him emptyhanded I am doing the same... I think this is amongst his best songs.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Kendrick Lamar - HUMBLE.
Dope beats and video. He keeps pushing up his game.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Logic feat. Alessia Cara & Khalid - 1-800-273-8255
Touching. Beautiful song, not only because of the theme but how they told the story, and the video helps. Very good.

1. GOLD MEDAL: French Montana feat. Swae Lee - Unforgettable
Probably in a surprising turns of events I am awarding this the Gold medal. Bop in its maximum expression. So so so so good and addictive.

6. Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
Highlights: Big Fish, 745, Yeah Right, SAMO, Party People, BagBak,

5. Jay-Z - 4:44
One of his best efforts. OJ is the big highlight.

4. Tkay Maidza - Tkay
Fun. Less is good. Highlights: Always Been, Carry On (feat. Killer Mike), Simulation, Monochrome, Follow Me, CAstle In The Sky, Drumsticks No Guns, You Want, At Least I Know

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
Big league. Good album. DNA. ELEMENT. LOYALTY. HUMBLE. LUST. XXX.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Common - Black America Again
Good effort, Common always deliver good music. Intense listening. Highlights: Home (feat. Bilal), Black America Again (feat. Stevie Wonder), Love Star (feat. Marsha Ambrosious & PJ), Red Wine (feat. Syd & Elena), The Day Women Took Over (feat. BJ The Chicago Kid), Rain (feat. John Legend), Letter To The Free (feat. Bilal)

1. GOLD MEDAL: A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
The first part is flawless, the second part is weaker but still good. I really dig this, fresh and different from all the trap that is around, brave. Highlights: The Space Program, We The People..., Solid Wall Of Sound, Dis Generation, Kids..., Melatonin, Enough!, Black Spasmodic, Ego
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:00 pm

10. Weeknd feat. Daft Punk - I Feel It Coming
In 2016 Starboy competed in the Pop category, but IFIC feels more urban. A smooth tune.

9. Kevin Abstract - Empty
Almost rap. I feel that its becoming harder every year to differentiate genres, they tend to merge. It's a good thing, still I keep on separating them. A good video.

8. Daniel Caesar feat. Kali Uchis - Get You
Sensual R&B. Promising act.

7. Lizzo - Coconut Oil
Another almost rap song. Another cool represetnation of contemporary R&B.

6. Khalid - Young, Dumb & Broke
I was obsessed about this. But my itensity slowed down. Still think he is one of the best new artists of the year.

5. Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
Bruno delivers the bop of the year imo. The song is outstanding.

4. Childish Gambino - Redbone
Amazing song. Deserved a medal but the other three are better to my ears.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Sampha - (No One Knows Me) Like the Piano
Touching. The video is so simple but so powerful at the same time. So glad he delivered the best piano ballad of the year.

2. SILVER MEDAL: SZA - Drew Barrymore
Antoher hot representation of 2018 R&B. Really good step foward by SZA.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Leela James - Don't Want You Back
Leela's voice is captivating, In between so many hot contemporary tracks, this beautiful classier sound takes the gold.

6. Sampha - Process
A very interesting set of songs. Needs to polish his stle a little more but very good. Highlights: Plastic 100°C, Blood On Me, No One Knows Me Like The Piano, Reverse Faults, Under

5. Khalid - American Teen
Pop-R&B, solid. Highlights: American Teen, Yound Dumb & Broke, Another Sad Love Song, Saved, 8TEEN, Hopeless, Winter, Therapy, Shot Down

4. Kevin Abstract - American Boyfriend: A Suburban Love Story
A cool sequence of songs, promising. Highlights: Empty, Seventeen, Tattoo, Yellow, Runner, Miserable America, American Boyfriend.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: SZA - Ctrl
The album starts very high, with Supermodel, Love Galore (feat. Travis Scott), Doves in the Wild (feat. Kendrick Lamar), Drew Barrimore, Prom, The Weekend and Go Gina. Then goes itno a little samey-land with Normal Girl and 20 Something to highlight.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Leela James - Did It For Love
Flawless selection of songs. Highlights: Hard For Me, Don't Want You Back, I Remember, Good To Love You (feat. Dave Hollister), There 4 U, This Day Is For You, All Over Again, Our Love

1. GOLD MEDAL: Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
A very solid collection of songs. Many R&B lovers should be digging this but they prefer to be haters just because Bruno put this out. Highlights: 24K Magic, Chunky, That's What I Like, Versace On The Floor, Straight Up & Down, Finesse, Too Good To Say Goodbye.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:00 am

10. Van Morrison - Roll With The Punches
A very cool southern sound, with some country vibes. Solid.

9. Simple Minds feat. KT Tunstall - Promised You A Miracle
A very KT Tunstall song, it should hav eben her feat Simple Minds. Good groove.

8. John Mayer - Still Feel Like Your Man
Strange video but really cool song.

7. Sheryl Crow - Halfway There
Sheryl bringing back her best version. Well, not still her best but a very nice improvement.

6. Rolling Stones - Ride 'Em On Down
Great video. A very good album, many blues nominees this year, I am in that mood.

5. Melissa Etheridge - Respect Yourself
Another blues album making the cut. Great track.

4. Chuck Berry - Big Boys
So good! Classic Rock&Roll, the one you keep dancing non stop.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Ryan Adams - Do You Still Love Me?
Ryan is hard to descipher. He puts out great albums and tracks and then 1989 Revisited. This time he delivers a fantastic rock song, addictive.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Dan Auerbach - King Of A One Horse Town
70s vibes. Very strong song that could have won this but I preferred the unexpected win here.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Karen Elson - Call Your Name
So beautiful. A nice surprise this year to run across this.

6. Chuck Berry - Chuck
Great last album by Chuck, leaving this world through the big exit gate. Highlights: Wonderful Woman, Big Boys, You Go To My Head, Lady B. Good, She Still Loves You, Jamaica Moon.

5. Ray Davies - Americana
Almost country, deep tracks. Highlights: Americana, The Deal, Message From The Road, A Place In Your Heart, Rock'N'Roll Cowboys, I've Heard That Beat Before, A Long Drive Home From Tarzana

4. John Mellencamp - Sad Clowns & Hillbillies
First half of the album is sublime. Good for a roadtrip, almost a country album. Highlights: Mobile Blue, Battle of Angels, Grandview (feat. Martina McBride), Indigo Sunset (feat. Carlene Carter), What Kind Of Man Am I (feat. Carlene Carter), All Night Talk Radio.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Ryan Adams - Prisoner
Pop Rock, nice lyrics and melodies. Solid body of work. Highlights: Do You Still Love Me?, Prisoner, Doomsday, Haunted House, Shiver And Shake, To Be Without You, Anything I Say To You Now, Breakdown, Outbound Train, Tightrope

2. SILVER MEDAL: Rolling Stones - Blue & Lonesome
How good to deliver such an album so into their career. A very welcome album. highlights: Just Your Fool, Commit A Crime, Blue And Lonesome, I Gotta Go, Little Rain, Just Like I Treat You

1. GOLD MEDAL: Dan Auerbach - Waiting on a Song
Outstanding from start to finish, no low point. A beautiful collection of songs.
leomedar
Legend

Postby heppolo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:33 am

Dan Auerbach - Waiting on a Song

Nice one. Dan's really excelled this time at songwriting.
heppolo
Legend

Postby leomedar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:28 pm

heppolo wrote:Dan Auerbach - Waiting on a Song

Nice one. Dan's really excelled this time at songwriting.
Glad you like it! It is a very good album.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:04 am

10. Robbie Williams - Love My Life
Cheesy but lovin' it.

9. Imagine Dragons - Thunder
Addictive tune, my kid adores it and so do I. It was a grower, when it was released I was not so in love.

8. Nelly Furtado - Pipe Dreams
It's sad to see her decay in the music scene. Big Boobs really damaged her imo. This is good, smooth and embracing.

7. Norah Jones - Flipside
Cool, like the colors in the video. Norah consistenly delivers.

6. Allie X - Paper Love
Another addcitive tune. Promising move for Allie!

5. Harry Styles - Sign Of The Times
Surprising great song from Harry. I don't see this as rock so I went with my feeling and classified it as pop. Some songs, like Kiwi, are rocker, this is pop imo. A very good pop song.

4. Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You
This song was overplayed. A LOT. The song is good and distinctive. It starts and you instantly know it is Ed, and that is a great achievement.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Lady GaGa - Million Reasons
A song full of heart, this album has many gems. I was never a big fan of GaGa, but I am becoming one. She is really a beautiful soul.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Lorde - Green Light
Hot. The video is very good. The lyrics are great. She is great.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Haim - Want You Back
Excellent song, Lyrics + music + video, great equation.

6. Harry Styles - Harry Styles
A great first half that loses speed in the second half. Highlights: Meet Me In The Halfway, Sign of the Times, Carolina, Two Ghosts, Sweet Creature.

5. Sleigh Bells - Jessica Rabbit
Passionate set of songs. Highlights: It's Just Us Now, Lightning Turns, I Can't Stand You Anymore, I can Only Stare, Unlimited Dark Paths, Baptism By Fire, Hyper Dark

4. Norah Jones - Day Breaks
Effortless album. Too safe at moments but always welcome to hear some sweet Norah. Highlight: Burn, Tragedy, Flipside, It's A Wonderful Time For Love, Don't Be Denied, Once I Had A Laugh, Carry On

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Dua Lipa - Dua Lipa
Very promising debut for Dua, she managed to exit the one-hit-wonder label. It is very good pop album. Highlights: Genesis, Lost In Your Light (feat. Miguel), Hotter Than Hell, Be The One, IDGAF, Blow Your Mind (Mwah), New Rules, Begging, Homesick

2. SILVER MEDAL: Lady Gaga - Joanne
When GaGa is not trying to outdo herself, to push the limit farther than needed, she proves to be a great songrwrter and musician. Good for her. Highlights: Joanne, Perfect Illusion, Million Reasons, Sinner's Prayer, Hey Girl (feat. Florence Welch)

1. GOLD MEDAL: Lorde - Melodrama
Outstanding sophomore effort. It is always glad when an artist release a second album that improve the first one. I have only hope for her in a future. Highlights: Green Light, Sober, Homemade Dynamite, The Louvre, Liability, Hard Feelings/Loveless, Sober II (Melodrama), Writer In The Dark, Supercut, Perfect Places
leomedar
Legend

Postby heppolo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:07 am

For me personally, ''Melodrama'' felt a little bit underwhelming, lacklustre. I am fine with it now, but the critical hype was like Lorde made an AOTY.
heppolo
Legend

Postby leomedar » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:49 pm

With Lorde I let time pass and I checked the album some months after it was released. I had no big expectations as I was not a big fan of her first album, so critics were not a factor in my case. I was pleasantly surprised and I do think it is AOTY material. I have a lot of respect for sophomore albums after a first very intense and successful era, and this one is, imo, a very solid and coherent effort, experimenting a little and being intense but at the same time more loose.
leomedar
Legend

Postby heppolo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:52 pm

^I feel like ''Melodrama'' is a solid record, but there is nothing new. Here's a sobby ballad, here's a relatively relatable pop banger as a lead single, this and that.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Blondini » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:24 am

There's some great stuff in this thread - too many for this latecomer to mention - but i'll just say that the perils of ranking things by genre are quite apparent here. I can see how difficult it can be at times but some of the choices are odd!
By no stretch of the imagination are Cocteau Twins "Dance/Electronica"! :lol: They are firmly alternative - more so than Kate Bush who they share a lineage with. Their sound virtually INVENTED the alternative genre (by building on post-punk and goth). It's not so much about being apart from the mainstream - it's a sensibility. The Twin Peaks' score is also alternative (though Falling would fall(!) into the alternative sub-category of "dreampop" (My Bloody Valentine, School Of Seven Bells) which isn't always necessarily pure pop :x :wink: ).

If Foo Fighters can be classed as Rock i don't see how Guns N' Roses and Scorpions can't. The latter 2 might have been in trouble with the powers that be but their roots are in basic rock and roll and in mainstream values (read-sexist, misognystic etc). Jane's Addiction on the other hand had a right-on attitude similar to Nirvana that seeps through their music. This is why Stone Temple Pilots encountered such hostility and got accused of being sexist old-style rockers cashing in on grunge (see Sex Type Thing - an "ironic" song that a section of their fans took as literal). Nirvana and GNR of course had their famous fallout after a tour turned sour (because of Axl being a pig). The 2 bands could not mix.

If Hard Rock / Metal provides an issue i'd just put them in their own category. I'd separate Nine Inch Nails from Electronica in the same way Billboard excluded Gary Numan for being too "rock". Only the first album - out in 89 but in the charts in 91 - can be safely filed as Electronica. I do certain things on a case by case basis. So for 2 or 3 albums i'd have classed U2 as "alternative" because from Achtung Baby they took that vibe and reinvented their sound. Scott Walker started out as Pop but he's firmly Alternative now. Miranda Lambert used to be a country Rock-er but has since softened her sound. A-ha used to be Pop but have become a sort of Grandad Coldplay in recent years. Massive Attack have gone from Soul to Electronica/Alternative. Simple Minds can be both Rock and Pop at the same time :lol: . Saint Etienne are Pop/Dance/Electronica/Indie-Alt all at once! :-? :lol:

But then i'd also say that a lot of acts that get called Alternative these days do not have that kind of "outsider" sensibility. The Killers are blatantly a pop group and barely a trace of "indie" still exists in them. Portugal. The Man is a pop / urban act from what i've heard - the most "alternative" thing about them is the act name. If the lyrics and basic sound can fit so easily into the charts or radio then it's probably not doing anything radical or challenging. Feel It Still does not stand out like Smells Like Teen Spirit or Common People or Firestarter.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby leomedar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:18 am

Wow! Thanks for such a declaration, enjoyed reading it. Even when you are almost detroying this thread I find it interesting, challenging and exciting. I won't try to justify me, and I don't think that's what you were searching, but here are some thoughts.

I find it hard to clasify some acts but at the same time I approach each genre differently and have a very different relationship with each of them. With this thread I wanted to walk through all of my living years and create this kind of anthology, and I felt that dividing into genres would be easier for me to dive more deeply into less popular genres for me. The ranking is just an excuse, the awards are meaningless. Songs/Albums are what matters in the end. With all this I am crafting some cool Spotify playlists which I listen while driving, while running or at home.

Alternative for me is a genre that embraces all other genres so I find it hard many times to decide if something is rock or alt, if it is dance or alt, if it is pop or alt. Reality is that it does not matter that much so I just try to check wikipedia or just follow my own feeling. Cocteau Twins, in that particular album, was defined as Dream Pop, fitting for Alt or for Dance, and as this music makes me dance and it is the music that my fav pub would play while I was a teen so it fits Dance perfectbly to me. Twin Peaks is Electronic to my ears, so fits the Dance-Electronic classification for me.

OK, Foo Fighters may be similar to Guns or Scorpions. But checking all the albums form those years I felt that I didn't want to mix Guns with more Pop-rock acts fro the time that i was enjoying, while in the 00s or 10s pop-rock will probalby be found in the Pop field rather than in Rock and that allowed me to fit some "Alt" acts in the Rock categories and leave space in the Alt categories for artists that I find really hard to put a label on. Maybe folk is Alt and I love some folk artists from the 10s.

It eventually comes again to the question of: do I need to separate songs into genres? No. Do I want to? Yes.

Then I must say I found it very interesting all you said about Stone Temple Pilots, that was a great paragraph. Thanks.

Hard Rock: I don't think I will have plenty of that genre in my lists, so a special genre would be too much. And instead of mixing them with rock I put them again in this very vague concept of Alt. Not that Alt is vague in general, Alt in my thread is vague, its a problem solver.

Then again, your last two paragraphs are very intersting and I feel what you say and probalby agree with it.

Well, thanks for your time Blondini! Sorry to be dissapointing!
leomedar
Legend

Postby heppolo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:22 am

Their sound virtually INVENTED the alternative genre (by building on post-punk and goth).
I'd say The Cure was closer to being the inventors of the alternative genre :)
heppolo
Legend

Postby Blondini » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:30 pm

^ maybe but Cocteaus' label 4AD became a benchmark for unclassifiable music. Cure, Banshees both "created" goth music - itself a product of post-punk. It all goes back...

Alternative rock is a bit different and is an actual genre and easier to quantify. Garage rock - punk - metal - grunge - post-grunge.

My post rambled too much. I've tried the ranking myself in my regular charts but just got frustrated myself! :lol:
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby heppolo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:25 am

Blondini wrote:^ maybe but Cocteaus' label 4AD became a benchmark for unclassifiable music. Cure, Banshees both "created" goth music - itself a product of post-punk. It all goes back...

Alternative rock is a bit different and is an actual genre and easier to quantify. Garage rock - punk - metal - grunge - post-grunge.

My post rambled too much. I've tried the ranking myself in my regular charts but just got frustrated myself! :lol:
:lol:
4AD had some brilliant ''hard-to-classify'' gems, some of which got the ''dream pop'' tag in the end
heppolo
Legend

Postby leomedar » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:34 pm

So here are the nominees for the two biggest awards of the year 2017:

Goldfrapp - Anymore
Café Tacuba - Futuro
Royal Blood - I Only Lie When I Love You
Chris Stapleton - Broken Halos
French Montana feat. Swae Lee - Unforgettable
Leela James - Don't Want You Back
Karen Elson - Call Your Name
Haim - Want You Back

Jamiroquai - Automaton
Juana Molina - Halo
Tori Amos - Native Invader
Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound
A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
Dan Auerbach - Waiting on a Song
Lorde - Melodrama
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:46 pm

10. PnB Rock - Horses // The Fate of the Furious

9. Sia - Never Give Up // Lion

8. Sia feat. Labrinth - To Be Human // Wonder Woman

7. Céline Dion - How Does a Moment Last Forever // Beauty And The Beast

6. Santigold - Who I Thought You Were // The Edge of Seventeen

5. OneRepublic - Let's Hurt Tonight // Collateral Beauty

4. Alessia Cara - How Far I'll Go // Moana

3. BRONZE MEDAL: ZAYN and Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever // Fifty Shades Darker

2. SILVER MEDAL: Frances - Glow // Mum's List

1. GOLD MEDAL: Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone - City Of Stars // La La Land

Although I disliked Zayn's part too much to even give this song more spins, once relaxed I enjoyed it a lot. I find it catchy and cool. Still I think they should have chosen someone else to sing the male part. Frances was a very beautiful discovery. Like her voice there a lot. But the winner is City of Stars. Simple, touching, catchy.

10. Aquilo - Silhouette
It's a trilogy, and this one is the one in the middle. Each part focuses on a different character, and this one is so touching it liftes the song even higher. The part in which the father dances with the teacher is heartbreaking.

9. Kevin Abstract - Empty
It is fun and at the same time it is sad.

8. Sampha - (No One Knows Me) Like the Piano
Small video, but touching and effective. I love when a simple shot, a simple look, a small shadow in the back can tell you so much about a song.

7. Jamiroquai - Automaton
One of the coolest Jamiroquai's videos in a long time.

6. Alt J - 3WW
Captivating. I have been watching this over and over again.

5. Logic feat. Alessia Cara & Khalid - 1-800-273-8255
The video fits the song, giving a very touching and caring message. Good.

4. Kendrick Lamar - HUMBLE.Haim - Want You Back
Too intense, as the song. Great video, gets lost a little trying too hard.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Haim - Want You Back
Simple. Catchy. Fun. Excellent video.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Katy Perry feat. Migos - Bon Appetit
A brilliant concept.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Rolling Stones - Ride 'Em On Down
A rebel. A car. A zebra. Perfect.

10. Ingrid Michaelson feat. Tagan & Sara - Whole Lot Of Heart

9. Simple Minds feat. KT Tunstall - Promised You A Miracle

8. Tim McGraw & Faith Hill - Speak To A Girl

7. Lady GaGa feat. Florence Welch - Hey Girl

6. Common feat. Stevie Wonder - Black America Again

5. John Mellencamp feat. Martina McBride - Grandview

4. Shakira feat. Maluma - Chantaje

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Kendrick Lamar feat. U2 - XXX

2. SILVER MEDAL: Rodney Crowell feat. Rosanne Cash & John Paul White - It Ain't Over Yet

1. GOLD MEDAL: Luis Fonsi feat. Daddy Yankee - Despacito

Kendrick surprised me with a very interesting U2 duet, a highlight of his album. ROdney/Rosanne/John Paul delivered a beautiful song and their voices merges perfectbly, but Fonsi and Daddy Yankee killed it this year.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:58 pm

10. Daniel Caesar
A cool debut with some cool support from other new artists as HER and Syd.

9. Vic Mensa
His debut album has a very flowing start from 1-6.

8. Loyle Carner
Interesting debut from the UK hip-hop singer. Music stands out, rap complements.

7. Tkay Maidza
Simulation is hot, should have been a much bigger hit imo. The album is good and a solid start.

6. Syd
Her name appeared a lot last year, featuring in many songs I liked, so it was no surprise her own start was nice to me. Promising.

5. Allie X
Cool pop songs from the canadian girl. Paper Love still remains a heavy play in my spotify.

4. Sampha
Soul. Melodies. Awaiting more from him in the future.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Dua Lipa
I like her. Cool, carefree pop.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Midland
Classic country sounding fresh is something hard to achieve, and they do.

1. GOLD MEDAL: SZA
Soulful start, smooth and cool. DEfinetly the most interesting album from any newcomer.

8. Karen Elson - Call Your Name

7. Royal Blood - I Only Lie When I Love You

6. Goldfrapp - Anymore

5. French Montana feat. Swae Lee - Unforgettable

4. Café Tacuba - Futuro

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Leela James - Don't Want You Back

2. SILVER MEDAL: Haim - Want You Back

1. GOLD MEDAL: Chris Stapleton - Broken Halos

8. Jamiroquai - Automaton

7. Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound

6. Tori Amos - Native Invader

5. Juana Molina - Halo

4. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Bruno Mars - 24K Magic

2. SILVER MEDAL: Lorde - Melodrama

1. GOLD MEDAL: Dan Auerbach - Waiting on a Song
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:00 pm

So this is the complete list of winners! Soon I'll go back to the 90s and move on with the 1993 Awards.

Best Dance Recording: Goldfrapp - Anymore
Best Dance Album: Jamiroquai - Automaton
Best Latin Recording: Café Tacuba - Futuro
Best Latin Album: Juana Molina - Halo
Best Alternative Recording: Royal Blood - I Only Lie When I Love You
Best Alternative Album: Tori Amos - Native Invader
Best Country Recording: Chris Stapleton - Broken Halos
Best Country Album: Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound
Best Rap/Hip Hop Recording: French Montana feat. Swae Lee - Unforgettable
Best Rap/Hip Hop Album: A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
Best R&B Recording: Leela James - Don't Want You Back
Best R&B Album: Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
Best Rock Recording: Karen Elson - Call Your Name
Best Rock Album: Dan Auerbach - Waiting on a Song
Best Pop Recording: Haim - Want You Back
Best Pop Album: Lorde - Melodrama
Best Song Made for a Movie: Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone - City of Stars // LaLaLand
Best Video: Rolling Stones - Ride 'Em On Down
Outstanding Collaboration: Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee - Despacito
Best New Artist: SZA

Record Of The Year: Chris Stapleton - Broken Halos
Album Of The Year: Dan Auerbach - Waiting on a Song
leomedar
Legend

Return to Personal Charts