Radiohead
Suede
The Cranberries
Toni Braxton
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:04 pm

10. Dr Alban - It's My Life
Those initial horns are classic enough, and the song is a 90s hymn.

9. Pet Shop Boys - Go West
8. Whitney Houston - I'm Every Woman
7. Madonna - Fever
6. Janet Jackson - If

This batch of big names released hot dance tracks in 1993. PSB is maybe the less accomplished of them all, and then the other three are equally good for me, with Janet's If having a small benefit as the other two are covers.

5. S.O.U.L. S.Y.S.T.E.M. - It's Gonna Be A Lovely Day
I discovered this while revisiting songs for this thread, funny that this belongs to such a high profile album but still went unnoticed for me for so long. Then this participated in some survivors and I learnt to really appreciate it.

4. Jamiroquai - Too Young to Die
Amazing song, Jamiroquai was quite popular back then. My brother and some frineds were already digging this.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Haddaway - What Is Love
A classic.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Ace of Base - All That She Wants
Right after Roxette's worldwide success, AceOfBase seemed like the next sweden band to follow. This song was everywhere and I still have fond memories of that summer when this was everywhere.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Björk - Human Behaviour
By far the winner of them all here. Such a hypnotic sound and lyrics, Björk captivated my soul right from the start. Deserving winner.

6. Saint Etienne - So Tough
The band's second album. A good effort

5. New Order - Republic
A very solid start of the album with three good tracks: Regret, World and Ruined in a Day. Their sixth album and the last one before their 90s hiatus.

4. Pet Shop Boys - Very
After 1991 Behaviour, which was also nominated and also reached 4th place, PSB released a more pop loose album that worked cohesively with many good tracks such as Can You Forgive Her?I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing, A Different Point of View, One and One Make Five and Go West.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Jamiroquai - Emergency on Planet Earth
Jamiroquai debut album, #1 UK set, presented a fresh and funky sound that highlighted them from the rest. When You gonna Learn, Too Young To Die, Hooked Up, Emergency on Planet Earth, Blow Your Mind and Didgin' Out

2. SILVER MEDAL: Ace of Base - Happy Nation
Kind of a guilty plaesure to put this at number 2 above Jamiroquai. Megahits All That She Wants, Don't Turn Around, The Sign, Happy Nation and Wheel of Fortune push this album up.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Björk - Debut
Bjork opened the doors and shared with the world this outstanding album. The whole album is a musical experience, but I'll highlight: Human Behaviour, Crying, Venus as a Boy, Big Time Sensuality, One Day, Come To Me, Violently Happy and the bonus track Play Dead.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:56 pm

10. Ricky Martin - Me Amarás
Ricky was slowly catching attention in 1993. He started just as one more singer from a big batch of male artists releasing unpretentious music, but eventually evolved and became a great performer. Me Amaras was a very important step in his career and I find it simple but cute.

9. Fabiana Cantilo - Pasaje Hasta Ahí
8. Soda Stereo - Primavera 0
7. Divididos - ¿Qué Ves?
6. Los Rodríguez - Sin Documentos
This group of argentinian's rockstars were extremely popular back then and each song holds a special place in my memory.

5. Luis Miguel - Suave
Lusi Miguel was a massive artist already, but the Romance era pushed him to stratospheric levels. This pop record consolidated him as the latin megastar of the decade. Suave is a very summery and carefree track that was omnipresent during those days.

4. Los Fabulosos Cadillacs - Matador
Cadillacs released their signature song in 1993. Matador conquered the radio and it was impossible not to fall for those drums. Excellent track from a very powerful band.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Laura Pausini - La Solitudine
Laura shyly erupted into the music scene winning the San Remo festival with this beautiful song. It was eventually released in spanish and I couldn't help but to love it.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Maná - Vivir Sin Aire
My fav Mana song ever, this magnificent ballad made them megastars in Argentina.

1. GOLD MEDAL: Gloria Estefan - Mi Tierra
Unfortunately for Mana, Gloria released this gem that same year. It was Gloria at her peak, and singing cuban-influenced songs in a very significant album of her career. A perfect song.

6. Soda Stereo - Dynamo
Quite an experimental record for the argentinian band, with highlights: Secuencia Inicial, Toma La Ruta, En Remolinos, Primavera 0, Camaleón, Claroscuro and Fue.

5. Divididos - La Era De La Boludez
A very powerful release by this ex-Sumo band. Salir A Asustar, Ortega y Gases, Que Ves, Dame Un Limon and Huelga de Amores are equally good.

4. Laura Pausini - Laura Pausini
La solitudine is not the only good track here: Non Ce, Mi Rubi L'anima, Dove Sei and Baci Che Si Rubano.

3. Maná - ¿Dónde Jugarán Los Niños?
A perfect set of songs, all together in this trascendental album: Oye Mi Amor, Cachito, Vivir Sin Aire and Donde Jugaran Los Niños.

2. Luis Miguel - Aries
Suave, Ayer, Que Nivel de Mujer and the ballad of them all: Hasta Que Me Olvides. So good!

1. Gold Medal: Gloria Estefan - Mi Tierra
Beautiful set of sogns, flavored with emotions: Con Los Años Que Me Quedan, Mi Tierra, Ayer, Mi Buen Amor, Si Señor and Montuno are amazing highlights.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:32 am

10. Depeche Mode - I Feel You
Following 1990's great performance in the Dance categories (two gold medals, and then silver medal in both AOTY and SOTY), Depeche Mode released this alt-dance track. A song that empowers your body to move.

9. The Smashing Pumpkins - Today
In a couple of years TSP wil release two amazing albums. Siamese Dreams, with Today, were great appetizers. I discovered them in 1995 and fell in love with their style so this revisiting put them here quite surprisingly.

8. 4 Non Blondes - What's Up?
Inescapable track. My brother made a cassette of 60 mins with this song on repeat the whole time, and I loved that cassette.

7. R.E.M. - Man on the Moon
REM were Record of the Year recipients two years before, and Automatic... was a perfect platform to jump into stratosferic proportions. Losing My religion made them big rock stars and this one consolidated their status.

6. David Bowie - Black Tie White Noise
The bass... superb effort from the Duke.

5. Nirvana - All Apologies
Probably my fav Nirvana song. Probably because Sienad covered it. For sure, a great track.

4. Blind Melon - No Rain
Classic 90s. Love this track, the bee girl and being a teenager with this music on the radio.

3. BRONZE MEDAL_: Radiohead - Creep
I found it hard not to give this one Gold Medal. My big brother bought this album but I think I gave this more spins than him. Radiohead enter though the big door.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Soul Asylum - Runaway Train
I always find this song and video captivating.

1. GOLD MEDAL: The Cranberries - Linger
Maybe I am biased because Dolores passed away, but this intro is iconic. Cranberries first two eras were so massive everywhere! The violins, her voice, I got the chance to see her live in Buenos Aires when she gave a concert during her solo tour. She had the voice of an angel.

6. The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Many great tracks preluding some great eras ahead. Today, Rocket, Disarm, Mayonaise and Spaceboy are my favs.

5. David Bowie - Black Tie White Noise
A good step in his career. Probably not a consensus opinion. The Wedding, Black Tie..., Jump They Say, Miraclo Goodnight, Dont Let Me Down And Down, The Wedding song.

4. PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
It was not an album I would instantly dig and love, but her voice and lyrics and presence always got my attention. Eventually I fell in love, deep love, with her and this.

3. BRONZE MEDAL: Nirvana - In Utero
Just to imagine the potential albums thay could have released. thay could have vanished or they could have conquered the world, and based on this powerful set of songs I feel it was closer to the second.

2. SILVER MEDAL: Radiohead - Pablo Honey
You, Creep, Stop Whispering, Thinking About You, Anyone Can Play Guitar, Ripcord. Great debut album.

1. GOLD MEDAL: R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
In general, I cannot go through a REM album from start to finish, this one has a very consistent flow that even with some flaws sounds well crafted and good.
leomedar
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:46 am

I have SO much to listen to and catch up on here! Glad to see PJ nominated, love Rid of Me, really gritty album.

REM, Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins, Bjork, Jamiroquai, Saint Etienne, Neneh Cherry, Sheryl Crow and Willie Nelson are great names on this page. Need to dive into some of the genre lists, I've been intending to try Emmylou Harris for quite some time but haven't got to it yet!
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:12 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:I have SO much to listen to and catch up on here! Glad to see PJ nominated, love Rid of Me, really gritty album.

REM, Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins, Bjork, Jamiroquai, Saint Etienne, Neneh Cherry, Sheryl Crow and Willie Nelson are great names on this page. Need to dive into some of the genre lists, I've been intending to try Emmylou Harris for quite some time but haven't got to it yet!
Cool to see you around Bill! Early 90s had many cool names. Emmylou is someone I also need to dive into more, but my fav is A Love That Will Never Grow Old. Beautiful.
leomedar
Legend

Return to Personal Charts