bc's 100 female artists (#34) - Aretha Franklin

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:40 pm

Was hoping Erykah would be higher, she is one of my fave ladies, love her voice and style.

current fave:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:24 pm

bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:24 pm

bluecherry
Manager

Postby biscuits » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Brandy, Monica, Erykah, Kim - TOO LOW :cry:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Carbon wrote:Monica - not into her that much, but I love Forever Always
8-)

I think it is probably my second favourite song of all-time, behind If! :o
biscuits
The Diva

Postby bluecherry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:30 pm

bluecherry
Manager

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:49 pm

Grace definitely has a unique flair, really have been getting in to her these past few years.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:56 pm

Tomorrow I'll be revealing #41-#31
bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:12 am

bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:19 am

bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:27 am

bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:31 am

bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:36 am

bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:40 am

bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:46 am

bluecherry
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Lemme catch up!

Awesome
- Carrie Underwood (among my Top 10 favourite artists of all-time; she narrowly edges out Taylor Swift as my favourite country artist)
- Kylie Minogue (she has a unique voice that took some getting into, but as far as the pop music landscape goes, there aren't many others I like more than the Aussie queen)
- Sia (love her voice, and she's easily one of the best songwriters in the industry right now. "Chandelier" is my #2 song of 2014, and "Titanium" among my Top 10 all-time favourite songs)
- Destiny's Child (the girl group of my childhood!)
- The Supremes (the mother of all girl groups!)
- Amy Winehouse ("Back to Black" and its parent album are just amazing beyond words)
- Alicia Keys (I loved her last album; she's pretty much been the post-90s Queen of R&B)
- Toni Braxton (that powerhouse voice of hers! I always say this, but she's truly underrated as a singer, though that has a lot to do with her peaking around the time of the three vocal titans; "Un-Break My Heart" and "He Wasn't Man Enough" are two of my favourite songs)

Good
- Lily Allen (fantastic lyricist!)
- Brandy (aw, I grew up with Moesha! <3)
- Carly Rae Jepsen (Her last album definitely had some phenomenal pop pieces on it: "Run Away with Me", "Love Again", "Making the Most of the Night", the title track)
- Jennifer Hudson (gargantuan voice, but her material doesn't always match her talent)
- Kelly Rowland (talented, with some solo bops to her credit)
- Marina & the Diamonds (Electra Heart had some special songs on it, none moreso than "Homewrecker")
- Lauryn Hill (that one album she has is spectacular indeed; "To Zion" touches my soul :cry: )
- Ciara (she's grown on me with her last album)
- Dixie Chicks ("Not Ready to Make Nice" was a really powerful moment in country music; I can't pretend to know much more from them beyond that song, but it's one of my favourite songs)
- Janelle Monáe (I'm still exploring her discography, but what I've heard so far is good)
- Dolly Parton (country legend!)

Decent
- Shakira (she has some great singles)
- Gladys Knight ("Midnight Train to Georgia" >>>)
- Sugababes (I love "Follow Me Home")
- Lil Kim (my sister loves her)
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:00 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Lemme catch up!

Awesome
- Carrie Underwood (among my Top 10 favourite artists of all-time; she narrowly edges out Taylor Swift as my favourite country artist)
- Kylie Minogue (she has a unique voice that took some getting into, but as far as the pop music landscape goes, there aren't many others I like more than the Aussie queen)
- Sia (love her voice, and she's easily one of the best songwriters in the industry right now. "Chandelier" is my #2 song of 2014, and "Titanium" among my Top 10 all-time favourite songs)
- Destiny's Child (the girl group of my childhood!)
- The Supremes (the mother of all girl groups!)
- Amy Winehouse ("Back to Black" and its parent album are just amazing beyond words)
- Alicia Keys (I loved her last album; she's pretty much been the post-90s Queen of R&B)
- Toni Braxton (that powerhouse voice of hers! I always say this, but she's truly underrated as a singer, though that has a lot to do with her peaking around the time of the three vocal titans; "Un-Break My Heart" and "He Wasn't Man Enough" are two of my favourite songs)

Good
- Lily Allen (fantastic lyricist!)
- Brandy (aw, I grew up with Moesha! <3)
- Carly Rae Jepsen (Her last album definitely had some phenomenal pop pieces on it: "Run Away with Me", "Love Again", "Making the Most of the Night", the title track)
- Jennifer Hudson (gargantuan voice, but her material doesn't always match her talent)
- Kelly Rowland (talented, with some solo bops to her credit)
- Marina & the Diamonds (Electra Heart had some special songs on it, none moreso than "Homewrecker")
- Lauryn Hill (that one album she has is spectacular indeed; "To Zion" touches my soul :cry: )
- Ciara (she's grown on me with her last album)
- Dixie Chicks ("Not Ready to Make Nice" was a really powerful moment in country music; I can't pretend to know much more from them beyond that song, but it's one of my favourite songs)
- Janelle Monáe (I'm still exploring her discography, but what I've heard so far is good)
- Dolly Parton (country legend!)

Decent
- Shakira (she has some great singles)
- Gladys Knight ("Midnight Train to Georgia" >>>)
- Sugababes (I love "Follow Me Home")
- Lil Kim (my sister loves her)
Great to see so many artists posted that you like - really glad to see that so thank you!
bluecherry
Manager

Postby Carbon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:32 pm

I enjoy Kylie a lot, her singles catalogue is spectacular. the Body Language and X singles are sooo good! probably my favourite songs of hers. as for albums, I don't think she has particularly good ones, but from what I know, Aphrodite and Kiss Me Once have some solid album cuts as well

I enjoy some things from:
- Kelly Rowland (Dirty Laundry is maybe my fave, also love her sexy songs like Motivation or Work + a nod to Commander which is a bop and should've smashed sooo hard. Train on a Track is her best ballad, beautiful)

- Grace Jones (a few singles here and there, my favourite being Libertango)

- Toni Braxton (discovered her a bit in the album cup, love Un-Break, Let It Flow and You're Makin' Me High from that album + my favourite Toni song atm is definitely Spanish Guitar)

- Minnie Riperton - aside from Lovin' You which I've known and loved for a longer time, thanks to your survivor I discovered Alone in Brewster Bay which is simply stunning and so meditative :o have to listen to those two albums again in full)

P.S. you never told me your thoughts on Tori :P
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:35 pm

I think with Tori it's just that I've... never actually listened to her! I don't dislike her, I've just never took the time. Any recommendations?
bluecherry
Manager

Postby Carbon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:45 pm

bluecherry wrote:I think with Tori it's just that I've... never actually listened to her! I don't dislike her, I've just never took the time. Any recommendations?
her debut album Little Earthquakes, aside from being her most iconic work, is great as an introduction, accessible but also very Tori.

and if you want, you can join my Boys for Pele survivor now and explore that album, though it's more experimental and you shouldn't write her off based on those songs - I've only grown to love them long after absorbing her other stuff. so you can try that one or start with Little Earthquakes
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:20 pm

bluecherry
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:35 am

Aretha is the Mother Diva. I have lots of love for her.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts