Cheapthrills' Cheap 20

Moderator: tdc2000

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Cheapthrills Cheap 20!

So, I've decide to post my chart with the new year. :) Hope some of you check it out.

I have been doing a chart for a long time, but all the charts prior to 1997 are lost to the sands of time, so when I talk about records, it will be for charts going forward December of 1997, which means I will celebrate the 20th anniversary of that chart in a year!

I will probably be playing with formats, but will try posting my chart as an image. I've done it before and it looks better, but it's also more of a pain :P
If it's October, it must be time for Halloween Survivor!!! Participate while you can!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Chart Notes:

* Loretta Lynn completes her top ten run, having become the oldest woman to hit the top ten. Only Tony Bennett, who appeared with Lady Gaga on Baby It's Cold Outside surpasses her. Christmas songs always seem to generate interesting records. :)

* Two weeks ago, Loretta Lynn and Kacey Musgraves comprised the top 2. That was only the second time ever that the top two were both country acts. It happened for the first time in 2015 when Kacey was again at the top with Biscuits, while Sam Hunt held at #2.

* Stevie Wonder garners his second top 10 hit after having hit the top 10 with Andra Day last year with his remake of Someday at Christmas. Coincidentally, Andra's second top ten, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, falls off this week.

OFF THE CHART THIS WEEK:
Cool Girl - Tove Lo (3 weeks at #1)
Adrenaline - Zedd and Grey - #3 peak
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - #9 peak
If it's October, it must be time for Halloween Survivor!!! Participate while you can!
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby trebor » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:56 pm

[ Cheap 20 ] :lol: :lol: 8-)
Would you please explain how you compile your chart [methodology] and the set of rules, etc., etc.,
trebor
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:16 pm

trebor wrote:[ Cheap 20 ] :lol: :lol: 8-)
Would you please explain how you compile your chart [methodology] and the set of rules, etc., etc.,
Hi Trebor :D

As far as rules, a song does not have to be a single to chart, though the vast majority of what I chart are the released singles. But there are exceptions. Adele, for example, had seven singles chart from her 21 album, even though there were only four official singles. If they are singles, then I make an effort to chart them only if they've been released in the last six months so the chart doesn't look stale.

There's not a strong methodology - it's mainly based on "airplay" - how much I listen to songs. I also put these songs in their own Spotify list and listen to that list a couple times during the week to feel out if I think the songs are burning on me or not.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:07 am

Fantastic number one! :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:43 pm

Tansike wrote:Fantastic number one! :D
I love it so. Thanks, Tansike :D
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Chart Notes:

* Taylor Swift matches her peak position on my chart, with this being her 4th song to hit #2 after "Christmas Must Mean Something More," "Shake It Off," and "Blank Space." She's never hit #1; can she go all the way this time?

* Pharrell reaches his highest peak since hitting #1 as part of Blurred Lines. Blurred Lines prevented Happy from reaching #1.

* Rihanna is just a couple points away from becoming the woman to have the most top tens (22) since 1997. With a debut at #12, she should grab the title for the first time next week. It helps that she's been featured on many of those top tens.

Retro Chart:

So each week, I'll move forward a year if I have a chart for that week. So, this week we'll start with 1999, next will be 2000, and so on. :)

I don't have the preceding week, but it appears that Jewel's "Hands" reclaimed #1 from Celine Dion, who had two weeks at #1 with a release from her Christmas album. Hands is by far Jewel's biggest hit on my chart.

Last edited by cheapthrills on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Phoenixx » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Amazing to see Adele, John Legend and Sia here :)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:15 am

Great debut for "Love On The Brain", the best track on her album :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Chart Notes:

* Meteorite holds for a third week at #1, equaling their previous best when King was also #1 for three weeks (and was 2015's year-end #1)

* Rihanna officially surpasses Beyonce and Gaga to have the most top tens of any woman on my chart (if features are included).

* The Weeknd moves in to the top 10 for the 7th time. He has yet to hit #1. His highest peak was his first chart hit as a feature on Ariana Grande's "Love Me Harder," which hit #2. The person with the most top tens without a #1? Kanye West, who has had 12 top ten songs without reaching the top.

Retro Chart:

My tastes have changed since 2000, which was more rock oriented. Stone Temple Pilots had a monster chart success with Down. The rest of the chart was pretty stagnant as the first few years of retro tended to move quite slowly. Fiona Apple kept the women in the game in a week otherwise dominated by bands.

Last edited by cheapthrills on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Phoenixx » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:45 am

Amazing jump for "Chantaje"
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:09 am

It actually moved from 8 to 5. I think I was looking at the wrong last week chart :P

There's a couple errors in the LW column, but I will get it together :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:03 am

Yay for "Meteorite" still smashing and "Never Give Up" jumping a lot this week :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:38 pm

YASS I love Years & Years. I hope they come out with a new album this year. :)

I have also updated the chart as a couple position moves were not accurate.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:53 pm

Great to see "Meteorite" at #1! It's my favourite Years & Years song.

"I Don't Wanna Live Forever" is awesome. I never would have expected Zayn and Taylor to collaborate, and for them to do such a fine job...it was a great surprise.

Of course, I have to shout out my favourite song of 2016,"Million Reasons", and one of Rihanna's best ballads, "Love on the Brain".
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cdschart » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:42 am

Great to see Meteorite, Love On the Brain, Chantaje and I Feel It Coming. I gotta check out Jalapeño -- I like both artists but didn't know about this song. Is it from Hidden Fences? :lol:
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:24 pm

cdschart wrote:Great to see Meteorite, Love On the Brain, Chantaje and I Feel It Coming. I gotta check out Jalapeño -- I like both artists but didn't know about this song. Is it from Hidden Fences? :lol:
Hehe, it is from the soundtrack. There's another one just by Janelle that I am starting to really like too - called "Isn't This the World?" It may chart as well.

It's a good soundtrack all around too. :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:52 pm

Chart Notes:

* Taylor Swift and Zayn ascend to #1, which is a little bit bigger news for Taylor, who after 8 stabs at the top ten finally has her first #1. It is also Zayn's first #1 and 3rd top ten overall. Only Kanye West had more top ten visits without hitting #1 and it looks like he will retain that crown for a long time.

* Two movie soundtrack tracks join the top ten this week, which means more than half the top ten is from the movies (just in time for the Oscar nomination announcements tomorrow.) This is a record showing for soundtrack tracks, which includes the current #1 (from Fifty Shades Darker), #3 (Sing), #4 (Hidden Figures), #5 (Bridget Jones' Baby), #8 (Lion), and #10 (La La Land).

* It's a great week for Alan Walker, who sees Routine inch closer to the top ten, has another debut at #19 with Alone, and sees his remix of Sia's Move Your Body debut at #18.

Retro Chart:

Southside was Gwen Stefani's debut on my chart as a solo artist, and she started off with a bang - a five week #1 courtesy of Moby's Southside. It jumped from the #5 to #1 and bumped the rest of the top five each down one point.

Madonna was charting with her 7th top ten on the chart, the most for a woman at that time (the record currently belongs to Rihanna, who just broke out of a three-way tie last week). Madonna held that chart stat from 1999-2010, and even reclaimed it for a hot minute in 2012.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Phoenixx » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Great Top-2 8-) :D
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:33 pm

Chart Notes:

*Thanks, Phoenixx for commenting on my chart :D

* Rihanna makes a big jump to #1 this week. A song hasn't made that big a move to #1 since May of 2015 when Zedd's Addicted to a Memory moved from #10 to #1.

* This is Rihanna's 5th #1, but only the second time in the #1 position as lead artist. Her only other #1 as lead artists was S&M.

* Ariana Grande moves up to #2. That gives her (so far) 5 songs that have peaked at #2 and five that have peaked at #1. I thought I'd look who had the most top two songs on my chart. Bonnie Raitt and Adele share the record with 11. Ariana is not far - impressively, Ariana has had only two songs miss the top 2. (All My Love, on which she was featured hit #9; Side to Side hit #5 in November)

Retro Chart:

Bodies was apparently released as a single in May of 2001, but I didn't hear it until well after that - part of the delay may be that radio stopped playing the song for awhile once 9-11 hit. It managed to place very high on the year-end (2002) chart..

Mary J. moved into the top five for the second time, following Family Affair, which that week was in its final week in the top 10, sitting at #10. Meanwhile, Alicia was killing, getting the 2nd of what is currently six numbers ones. Alicia ranks quite high on my all-time list, with 19 top tens, most recently Back to Life, which you can see peaking in the first chart I posted.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Phoenixx » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:05 am

I like #01, 05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 14 and 18 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby MusicRecords » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Woohoo at Love on the brain being #1! :D
I see you really like Alan Walker :wink:
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby Phoenixx » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:46 pm

MusicRecords wrote:Woohoo at Love on the brain being #1! :D
+1 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:45 pm

MusicRecords wrote:Woohoo at Love on the brain being #1! :D
Hehe! He is kind of having a moment on my charts.

Now you see why I'm so annoyed Faded is off your chart :x

Next chart coming :D
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:56 pm

Chart Notes:

* Love on the Brain becomes Rihanna's biggest hit on my chart, as it's the first song( in which she is lead) to last two weeks at #1 (S&M only spent one week.)

* No, you're not seeing double this week. Sean Paul really does debut with two songs in one week, just like Alan Walker did a couple weeks ago. For good measure, Dua Lipa is featured on one of his songs, giving her two features in the top 20.

* Jon Bellion makes his second appearance in the top ten. He previously scarped the top 10 by being featured on Zedd's Beautiful Now.

* I forget to change over the Off the Chart songs, which include:
--- Blow Your Mind (Mwah!) - Dua Lipa - #1 for 2 weeks - This song would have ended up at #12 for the year if we included the weeks for 2017.
--- What ABout the Love - Sam Feldt - #15 peak
--- Wild Horses - Bishop Briggs - #16 peak

Retro Chart:

One of the rare non-English songs to hit #1, Asereje knocked Christina Aguilera off the top after just a one week reign. Gossip FOlks flew up the chart, but would peak at #3. It's her biggest solo hit on the chart. John Mayer would peak at #3 with his song. He ended up charting in the top five six times without ever having a number one. This remains Kid Rock's only song to chart on my list, but Sheryl Crow would go on to have one more hit later that year with her take on Rod Stewart's "The First Cut is the Deepest."

Last edited by cheapthrills on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Manager

Return to Personal Charts