Cheapthrills' Cheap 20

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 1/6:

* HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! I am in the midst of presenting my top 40 of 2017. I am up to #16 in my thread! Follow it here.

* So Natalia, that's how you do a comeback. Almost exactly 12 years ago she hit #1 with her group with the song Casa. She hasn't been back on the charts since. She's no longer a one hit wonder on my chart and she manages to hit #1 again. She breaks the record set by Pharrell for most time passed between number one songs. (The old record is 11 years, 3 mos.) Meanwhile, this is Miguel's 2nd top ten as well - he hit the top ten previously being featured on Janelle Monae's Primetime. The song is from the movie Coco.

* Rita Ora makes the biggest jump since May 2016 - a week in which Dua Lipa's Be The One jumped 18-3.

* Of the Despacito triumvirate, Luis Fonsi was the only one who hadn't charted before. Now he has a second top ten in Echame La Culpa.

So wit the year change we basically advance just one week on the retro chaert form the last week of 2013 to the first of 2014. Still the top five changed dramatically. This is often a week for big jumps as you can see Wizard made a bigger jump than Rita this week. And Let It Go was set to start a three week run at the top. She was sandwiched into between the two Lily Allen number ones. Let It Go began the start of what is now a four year streak of a movie song being number one in January. It was the last number one from an animated movie until this week.

Check out my weekly top 20 songs here. :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 1/6:

* I will be wrapping up my top 40 today. Make sure you check it out here.

* Whatchugot leapfrogs over the competition thereby making Caro Emerald the first Dutch woman to ever hit ##1 on the list.

* Cardi B gets her second top 10 after hitting #1 with Bodak Yellow. Bartier Cardi is also waiting just outside the wings at #11.

* Dolly Parton's remake of her own Jolene nabs her the first top ten appearance she's ever had. A week from now, she turns 72, which makes her the second oldest woman (after fellow country star Loretta Lynn) to have a top ten on my list.

Retro is only three years back today, and we see Sia at the top with what was her first ever #1 on my list -s he's hit #2 three times prior, but it was a song from the remake musical Annie that propelled her to the top. Movies have had a tradition of yielding a #1 in January (see Remember Me last week) and Sia benefited from that. Bouncing back up was Uptown Funk, which had hit #1 the previous November. And one of my great regrets is that Blank Space topped out at #2 behind the forgettable Bright Lights, which would hit number one the following week.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 1/20:

* My 3000th post :D

* A few acts are doubling up this week - Eminem and Caro Emerald both enjoy a top five hit at the same time they debut with another song. Meanwhile, Cardi B adds a second top ten hit; it's her third overall.

* While Bruno Mars did hit #1 in 2014 with Uptown Funk, he was featured on that song. His last top five appearance as a lead was Treasure in summer of 2013, nearly five years ago!

Two monster hits dominated the charts two years ago. Adele's Hello had just finished a huge 8 week run at the top, and was succeed by a 7 week run for Coldplay. It wasn't until Feel It Still late last year that a run equaled Coldplay's performance. Another rarity - two country artists in the top five at the same time, and probably the only time they were both men.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:46 pm

Mess that my chart wasn't working and no one has been in here to say so :roll:

Catching up the last two weeks now.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 1/27:

* It's been a long time since the top five remained static, but it happens with this week, in which most of the action occurs below the top 10.

* Troye SIvan bounds into the top ten for the third time. In 2016, he was #1 with Youth, and last year he scraped the bottom of the top 10 with Heaven.

* Kendrick Lamar debuts with two songs at once - last done in May of last year when Juanes debuted two songs inside the top 10.

For the first time, the retro chart highlights 2017 - you could acually go back and see the top 20 for this one! There was a high turnover of #1s at this time a year ago. We saw Taylor's only #1 on my chart fall to #3 as Rihanna's biggest hit on the chart Love on the Brain soared up to #1 spot in a six point jump.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:01 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 2/3:

*Caro Emerald nabs a 4th week at #1. She is the only the 2nd Dutch person to hit #1 - the other being Sam Feldt, who has done it twice - in 2014 with the instrumental Bloesem, which also spent 4 weeks at #1 and was 2015s #1 song. He also hit #1 in August of 2016 with "Summer on You" Usually, I don't chart a song that's been out as long as Whatchugot (it was released last March), but with the play I've been giving this, it couldn't be denied.

* Finesse is officially the highest charting song from 24K Magic - both the title track and Versace on the Floor managed to make it to #6. That's What I Like charted, but did not crack the top ten.

* Eminem's collaboration with Kehlani moves into the top ten, giving Em three songs from Revival to make the top ten. This is the third album of his in a row to yield three top tens.

Since I just posted 2017's retro chart for last week, we cycle all the way back to beginning this week to 20 years ago :o Ugh that makes me feel old :cry: All of these songs have aged so much, except Janet who was about to have a huge #1 with Together Again. I can't even remember the last time I heard Tubthumping.

Last edited by cheapthrills on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 2/10:

*Troye Sivan leapfrogs over Ed Sheeran to grab his 2nd #1. He last hit #1 with Youth about two years ago. This is his 3rd top ten overall.

* It's a busy week for Kendrick Lamar who has three songs in the top two now that "Pray For Me" has debuted. Both songs that were already on the chart also move up.

* Dua Lipa's IDGAF may be the next single, but it's performance on the chart pales in comparison to Homesick, which shoots into the top 10 this week. It is Dua's 7th top ten - all accumulated in less than two years.

1999 was a long time ago :lol: And this was a rare week in which all five songs in the top five were #1 hits - Jewel was closing out a monster 8 week run at the top, something only 7 songs have accomplished since. The chart moved at a slow place back then, evidenced by Im Your Angel managed to last another 8 weeks in the top five after being booted out of #1 by Jewel. Miami would peak next, then Believe, then Body Movin. Believe was the #2 song of 1999.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:36 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 2/17:

*Playing catch-up here as I didn't have a chance to post last week's chart until now. Looks like I also forgot the heading on this chart. I am so messy :lol:

* Pray For Me makes a huge leap up the chart, and becomes The Weeknd's 8th top ten in the process.

* In the final weeks of 2016, Shakira and Maluma debuted with Chantaje peaking at #2. Now they are back with Trap. Since Chantaje, there has yet to be a week in which the top 20 did not feature a song with Spanish in it. Trap appears just in time to keep that streak going as Remember Me falls out.

There was a time on my chart when Elvis Costello hit #1 :lol: It was from the Austin Powers soundtrack, an album that became the first to generate three #1 toppers on my chart (the others being Time of the Season by Scott Weiland, and Beautiful Stranger by Madonna). Debuting at #5, To Zion from Lauryn Hill's landmark (and only) solo album was a juggernaut. Despite its lofty debut, it would take 14 weeks for it to reach #1, still the longest any song has ever taken to rise to the top. It would be the last song to ever chart from Ms. Lauryn. The MIseducation of Lauryn Hill was the first album to yield five top tens on my chart, and only five albums have accomplished five or more since (The Fame - Lady Gaga; Katy Perry - Teenage Dream; Born This Way - Lady Gaga; Adele - 21; Lily Allen - Sheezus).

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 2/24:

* Troye Sivan is #1 for a third week, matching his previous run with Youth.

* And I'm Leaving soars into the top 10. Credit SilentDream and his participation in the Song Collectors game for introducing me to this one.

* Kendrick lands a third top ten in as many weeks!

Four of the songs in the retro chart from 2001 hit #1, and spent a lot of time there as well as you can see just how slow my chart was moving in 2001. The big news was Shaggy who had two #1s. He came very close to being the first person to knock himself out of #1 as only a one week separation by Butterfly prevented it.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:49 pm

Hiya cheapthrills :D

Amazing to see Troye still holding onto the #1 spot. Also excellent seeing The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar climb into the top 3, and Dua Lipa into the top 5. All former #1 hits in my chart. :wink:

Nice little climb for Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey too. :D

Do you have an archive with your retro charts. They tend to interest me just as much as the latest charts especially when they include songs i remember. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:00 pm

JakeP wrote:Hiya cheapthrills :D

Amazing to see Troye still holding onto the #1 spot. Also excellent seeing The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar climb into the top 3, and Dua Lipa into the top 5. All former #1 hits in my chart. :wink:

Nice little climb for Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey too. :D

Do you have an archive with your retro charts. They tend to interest me just as much as the latest charts especially when they include songs i remember. :lol:
Did you see Black Panther? I just saw it last night and it's amazing and I was bouncing when Pray For Me was playing in the background of one scene. It has the potential to be big on my chart. I just realized All the Stars is also from Black Panther. I wonder when I last had two songs from the same film in my top ten together...

We'll see how Zedd does. He has had a lot of success on my chart, even having the #2 song of 2015. Maren Morris hit #1 with My Church a couple years ago but this is her first time back since then.

I have all my charts loaded on Google Docs and an Access database of all the songs. I am in the process of adding to the database to include weeks spent in the top 10, as I even tually want to post my top 100 artists chart and that will be a factor.
cheapthrills
Manager

Return to Personal Charts