Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 - EULOGY

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Colbie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:33 pm

yay for Janelle Monae! Also nice to see High horse! 8-)
Colbie
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:08 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I guess the mystery of your year-end #1 song this year is wrapped up, and the year's not even half-done. :lol: Stellar consistency for "Make Me Feel", and I'm happy to see all the other Dirty Computer tracks as well. I checked out "Guatemala", and thought it was pretty decent.
Yes, Janelle almost assuredly has it in the bag, though the last time a song hit 13 weeks, it came up 2nd. A song later that year lasted 11 weeks at the top the same year! So likely no mystery, which is a drag for me too, because I like to be surprised - last year was a pretty close contest until Feel It Still showed up at the end.

Guatemala gives me such a nice summer vibe, and it looks like it may be the next #1.

Colbie wrote:yay for Janelle Monae! Also nice to see High horse! 8-)
High Horse did really well! It had a nice, long run and I expect it to make the year-end chart. Thanks for stopping by, Colbie :)
Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournament!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 6/23:

* Hey it's my 5000th post! But whatever - you don't think I'm going to forget to mention the top 100 Artists countdown, do you? :lol:

* It appears that Make Me Feel's amazing run at the top is finally over. While she doesn't have the record to herself, it's more impressive to get 13 weeks now because there has been more turnover at the top now than when the chart first started. In any case, Janelle still appears in the top two as I Like That jumps to #2.

* Cardi B gets her 4th top ten appearance with I Like It. There's a lot of liking going on these days.

We reset back to 1998, and we can see at #1 the last song to last 13 weeks. Almost exactly 20 years ago. Meanwhile, Ray of Light debuted at #5. It was never able to unseat Loreena, but stay tuned for next week when Madonna finally did make it to #1.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:30 pm

Congrats on your 5000th post! :D

Glad "No Tears Left To Cry" is still so high. What is its peak if i may ask?

Also great to see "I Like It" jumping into the Top10. I still prefer "Bodak Yellow", but both songs are so different and "I Like It" is definitely my second most favorite Cardi B song to date.

Really liking all the Janelle entries and Childish Gambino's "This Is America" as well :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks for stopping in, Tansike :D

No Tears Left to Cry hit #2, but was blocked by Janelle - Ari's bad luck to run up against one of the biggest hits ever on my chart :(

I like I Like It :lol: - a lot - perfect for the summer! And so very Cardi!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:32 am

^ thanks - #2 is still a nice enough peak. Maybe she'll get a #1 hit another song this year :)

:lol: True!
Tansike
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:25 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 6/30:

* I am up to #43 on my top 100 Artists countdown

* I'm not sure if there is precedent for a top ten in which only one song moves up, but this is one such slow week. Only Cardi B, who has this week's biggest jump manages to move while everything else either moves down or is stagnant.

* That includes Janelle Monae, who sees Make Me Feel fall out of the top five after 17 weeks.

So many strong songs in my top 5 in 1999, and a terrible song like Last Kiss was #1. What was I thinking? I don't remember ever liking that song - the lyrics are terrible. Maybe I just wanted Pearl Jam to have a #1 :lol: The other songs are pure gems, though. Beautiful Stranger remains one of my favorite Madonna songs, and it finished in the top ten for the year. Fatboy Slim was coming off his 3rd #1, which made him the first to do so. Since then he's been passed up several times over.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:07 am

So "Guatemala" did make it to #1. Nice. I'm more excited to see "I Like That" at #2, though. I suppose those two will tussle with "I Like It" for #1 next week.

"No Scrubs" is easily my favourite from the retro list! Such an anthem. 8-)
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:39 pm

^and it's the only one of them that didn't hit #1, it got blocked by Ricky Martin :evil:

Your prediction about the top two is correct, so we'll have to see who wins out :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:45 pm

• Love the way you format your chart, cheapthrills! Clean, organized, easy to follow. What program do you use to make it?
• I definitely like the sound of Akini's prediction regarding "I Like That" being a serious contender for your next No. 1! He deserves a lot of credit for helping me to appreciate that gem, since he saw its appeal right away, while I wasn't really sold at first. Now it stands as my third-most-played track on Dirty Computer (behind "Make Me Feel" and "Pynk").
• Speaking of "Make Me Feel," looks like it was a MASSIVE success here :o How does that 13 week reign stack up against your all-time-biggest No. 1's?
• I've been digging "Ocean." Fitting for its title, it has this really soothing, cleansing effect. Feels like I'm just gently drifting along on open waters while I'm listening. (Martin's so damn cute too....) :oops:

Thanks for checking out my chart and giving me a reason to poke my head in here! Looks like I've been missing out! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:34 pm

Yay, thanks for checking in! :) It also reminded me I didn't post this week's chart so I will do that next.

I use Google Sheets and then copy and paste it into Paint and save as jpg, then link to imgur - it's kind of a pain, but it's also a pain to try to line everything up here. I wish they had a table tool on UKMix because if I make a mistake, I could fix it easier. :)

Janelle has been killing it this year, and she is in contention this week. :) Guatemala is proving to be strong competition because it's got such a nice summery vibe. As for Make Me Feel, that 13 week reign stacks pretty high - tied for longest ever! And the last time was 20 years ago, so it was a really special accomplishment! Only five songs have even topped ten weeks and two of them were back when the chart started.

Martin Garrix is so pretty <3 and he is also so talented! I've been following him since Animals.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:00 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 7/7:

* I am up to #37 on my top 100 Artists countdown!

* Guatemala blocks Janelle for the third week in a row, and with a bevy of songs climbing up the top ten, it's going to be competitive next week. The good news - Make Me Feel gets an 18th week in the top five. The last song to do so was Rolling in the Deep by Adele, which spent 22 weeks in the top five :o

* After a long absence, Christina Aguilera returns to the top ten. Her last appearance was as featured on Moves Like Jagger in October of 2011. Her last solo appearance was with Not Myself Tonight in May of 2010.

After debuting the previous year on my chart, Eminem exploded on the chart in 2000. This was his first lead solo #1, after being featured on Dr. Dre's Forgot About Dre earlier that year. For good measure, Dr. Dre shared space with Em in this top five with what was the only Dre song to make mychart without an Em feature. Meanwhile Pink was charting for the first time, and Aaliyah was in the top five with what was one of only two of her songs to ever make my list - the other being Are You That Somebody? (Both from movie soundtracks!)

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:00 pm

cheapthrills wrote:I use Google Sheets and then copy and paste it into Paint and save as jpg, then link to imgur - it's kind of a pain, but it's also a pain to try to line everything up here. I wish they had a table tool on UKMix because if I make a mistake, I could fix it easier. :)
Ah, so it's a multi-step/multi-program process each week, but the end result does look worth it! A table tool here would be MUCH appreciated - I'd certainly utilize it!

cheapthrills wrote:Janelle has been killing it this year, and she is in contention this week. :) Guatemala is proving to be strong competition because it's got such a nice summery vibe. As for Make Me Feel, that 13 week reign stacks pretty high - tied for longest ever! And the last time was 20 years ago, so it was a really special accomplishment! Only five songs have even topped ten weeks and two of them were back when the chart started.
After a quick bit of browsing here, it looks like "The Mummer's Dance" was the smash that shares the 13-week record with "Make Me Feel"? Not gonna lie, both that song and artist are brand-new to me :oops: What are the other three hits that lasted 10+ weeks on top?

cheapthrills wrote:Martin Garrix is so pretty <3 and he is also so talented! I've been following him since Animals.
I was pretty into that one for a while too, but I like the way his sound has evolved since then, and I've really enjoyed some of his more recent collaborations with other artists ("Ocean," "There For You," and especially "Scared To Be Lonely").

• Aw, looks like Janelle has to settle for the runner-up spot for another week :oops: Do you know which song has spent the most weeks at No. 2 without ever reaching No. 1? **Fingers crossed** she doesn't get leap-frogged by Cardi & co…

• Speaking of Cardi, I'm diggin' that debut for "Girls Like You." I generally stick to the original/album version, since that's the version I knew/liked fist, but I'm definitely glad that she's helped them score another global smash after "Wait" seriously under-performed. :x
phoenix98
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:02 am

Thank you so much for all the reflection on my chart :)

phoenix98 wrote:After a quick bit of browsing here, it looks like "The Mummer's Dance" was the smash that shares the 13-week record with "Make Me Feel"? Not gonna lie, both that song and artist are brand-new to me :oops: What are the other three hits that lasted 10+ weeks on top?
On one hand, I love that The Mummer's Dance held the record because it's such an oddball distinction -Loreena McKennit never hit my c hart again. My chart moved very slowly in the early years, so it benefited from that. Five of the eight songs that have been #1 for 9 weeks or more are from the first five years of my chart:

1. Make Me Feel - Janelle Monae (13 weeks) - 2018
2. The Mummer's Dance - Loreen McKennett - (13 weeks) 1998
3. Rolling in the Deep - Adele - (11 weeks) 2011
4. The Rockafeller Skank - Fatboy Slim - (11 weeks) 1998
5. Lose Yourself - Eminem - (10 weeks) - 2002
6. Born This Way - Lady Gaga - (9 weeks) -2011
7. Down - Stone Temple Pilots (9 weeks) - 1999
8. Nookie - Limp Bizkit (9 weeks) - 1999 :oops:

As you can see, outside of 2011, nothing has lasted more than 8 weeks at #1 in the last fifteen years.

phoenix98 wrote:I was pretty into that one for a while too, but I like the way his sound has evolved since then, and I've really enjoyed some of his more recent collaborations with other artists ("Ocean," "There For You," and especially "Scared To Be Lonely").
If only Martin sang, he could be another Calvin Harris, but I think his career will hopefully go in that same vein of collaboration - they've all been great!

phoenix98 wrote:• Aw, looks like Janelle has to settle for the runner-up spot for another week :oops: Do you know which song has spent the most weeks at No. 2 without ever reaching No. 1? **Fingers crossed** she doesn't get leap-frogged by Cardi & co…
It's a really strong top three right four right now - any of them could be #1, but I'll post my newest chart soon. As for the most weeks at #2 without going to #1... hmm, I'll have to research. I know Sam Hunt stayed at #2 for five weeks last year - I think he got blocked by Gaga's The Cure for most of that. I have one song that spent 2 weeks at #1 and 9 weeks at #2 - Superman (It's Not Easy) by Five For Fighting in the last three months of 2001.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 7/14:

* I am about to start posting the top 30 on my top 100 Artists countdown!

* In one of the closest top 3s of the year, Guatemala just holds on to spend a 4th week at the top. It's been nearly four years since a duo of any sort lasted 4 weeks at #1 - the last time being Sam Feldt and De Hofnar for Bloesem, 2014's #1 song.

* Drake is back after Nice For What barely got going and peaked at #19. He brings MJ along with him, who never charted in his lifetime, but did chart with Thriller in the wake of his death in 2009.

It's been 17 years since an all-time favorite first moved to #1 on my chart. It ended up #1 for all of 2001 - Bootylicious, and there's not a week that goes by that I still don't tell them they aren't ready for someone's jelly. :lol: They managed to lead a pretty rock-oriented top five - and as the only female representatives that week. Of those songs, I probably only also listen to the Sugar Ray song occasionally.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby MusicRecords » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:53 am

Lookin g at your charts, I'm glad Bloom made it to the top 5 in past weeks 8-)
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby SummerPeur » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:30 am

MusicRecords wrote:I'm glad Bloom made it to the top 5 in past weeks 8-)
It deserves it 8-)

Loving Creep City as well - such a shame it gets hardly any recognition. The music video though....is kinda too tragic for me.
How about you Get the F*** Out.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:41 am

Aw, I love Troye - he also hit #1 with My My My earlier this year before Janelle started destroying everyone in sight.

Yess, nice to see someone else who loves Creep City <3- such a great song and that video might be the most unabashedly gayest thing I will see all year :lol:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:15 am

cheapthrills wrote:1. Make Me Feel - Janelle Monae (13 weeks) - 2018
2. The Mummer's Dance - Loreen McKennett - (13 weeks) 1998
3. Rolling in the Deep - Adele - (11 weeks) 2011
4. The Rockafeller Skank - Fatboy Slim - (11 weeks) 1998
5. Lose Yourself - Eminem - (10 weeks) - 2002
6. Born This Way - Lady Gaga - (9 weeks) -2011
7. Down - Stone Temple Pilots (9 weeks) - 1999
8. Nookie - Limp Bizkit (9 weeks) - 1999 :oops:
:o That's a pretty diverse bunch! Thanks for putting that list together! I recognize all of the acts (but not every song) aside from Loreen, but they're names that I definitely don't see lumped together often...or ever :lol: That's awesome, though, and a testament to your broad tastes/vast music knowledge! Did something change about your chart policy/methodology around 2002-2003 that sped-up the turnover ever since? Or did you just start checking out more music more often?

cheapthrills wrote:It's a really strong top three right four right now - any of them could be #1, but I'll post my newest chart soon. As for the most weeks at #2 without going to #1... hmm, I'll have to research. I know Sam Hunt stayed at #2 for five weeks last year - I think he got blocked by Gaga's The Cure for most of that. I have one song that spent 2 weeks at #1 and 9 weeks at #2 - Superman (It's Not Easy) by Five For Fighting in the last three months of 2001.
After a little digging, it looks like "Body Like A Back Road" was blocked by "It Ain't Me" and "Venus Fly" :o I guess Janelle's been a force on your charts since well before the Dirty Computer era? Art Angels was my first taste of Grimes, and became my second-most-played album of 2016. It was a really pleasant surprise to see her drop a video for that collabo last year (since I definitely wasn’t expecting any more promo at that point).

:o Wow, "Guatemala" continues to hold its ground against the stiff competition! It seems like Janelle's chance at No. 1 glory has passed this time around (but having one of your longest-running-No. 1's ever isn't a bad consolation prize). ;)
• My only prior exposure to Bahari is their collaboration with Grey ("I Miss You"), but "Savage" makes a pretty good first impression too!
• "Palo Santo" has been getting a lot of positive reception around UKMIX! Admittedly, I'm more drawn to the poppier, uptempo moments on the album ("All For You," "If You're Over Me," "Preacher," etc.), but there's still a lot to like about the title track too. What's Y&Y's biggest hit here so far?
phoenix98
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:42 pm

phoenix98 wrote:That's awesome, though, and a testament to your broad tastes/vast music knowledge! Did something change about your chart policy/methodology around 2002-2003 that sped-up the turnover ever since? Or did you just start checking out more music more often?
Thanks, I try to be open! I think it's more fun that way :) As for the change, I never thought about it, but starting in 2003 is when I started sharing my top ten with my friends and not just for myself, and they would comment, or ask me why a certain song hadn't charted and now that you mention it, that probably influenced it quite a bit. 2011 (and now this year) seem to be anomalies in lengthy #1s since then.

phoenix98 wrote:After a little digging, it looks like "Body Like A Back Road" was blocked by "It Ain't Me" and "Venus Fly" :o I guess Janelle's been a force on your charts since well before the Dirty Computer era? Art Angels was my first taste of Grimes, and became my second-most-played album of 2016. It was a really pleasant surprise to see her drop a video for that collabo last year (since I definitely wasn’t expecting any more promo at that point).
Oh, wow, thanks for researching. I still have to get back to you on your original question - I'm curious to know myself! It's probably one of the early charts. But yes, Janelle has been a favorite of mine for awhile, going back to 2010. Venus Fly charted probably because of Janelle and not Grimes, but now Grimes has a new audience in me. Venus Fly was fantastic and it was the #1 song the week I got my graduate degree. :D If you've been following my top 100 Artists countdown, you might notice Janelle hasn't shown up yet, but stayed tuned...

phoenix98 wrote::o Wow, "Guatemala" continues to hold its ground against the stiff competition! It seems like Janelle's chance at No. 1 glory has passed this time around (but having one of your longest-running-No. 1's ever isn't a bad consolation prize). ;)
• My only prior exposure to Bahari is their collaboration with Grey ("I Miss You"), but "Savage" makes a pretty good first impression too!
Well, I'm goign to post my next chart soon, so you'll have to see if Guatemala held out for a 5th week :) I don't know much about Bahari myself, but they did feature on a Zedd song called Addicted to a Memory, which was #2 for 2015! Then this song came up on New Music Friday and I loved it!

phoenix98 wrote:• "Palo Santo" has been getting a lot of positive reception around UKMIX! Admittedly, I'm more drawn to the poppier, uptempo moments on the album ("All For You," "If You're Over Me," "Preacher," etc.), but there's still a lot to like about the title track too. What's Y&Y's biggest hit here so far?
So I just mentioned Zedd 's song was #2 for the whole year of 2015 and number 1 song that year was... King by Years & Years! It was their first song to chart and so far been their biggest success, though they have hit #1 three times (with Shine and Meteorite being the other two).
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:20 am

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 7/21:

* So you might want to check the top 100 Artists countdown as one of the artists on this list will show up in the next update. I will be up to #13 and should be done with the countdown at the end of the week.

* Janelle reverses course and wins the war of attrition this week as she back-doors her way to her sixth #1. Janelle is only the seventh act to have a sixth #1. This is Janelle's third consecutive album to yield a #1. In a slow week, she also manages to get the Biggest Jump. I'll have to see when that honor last went to a #1 song.

* Well, once again a Drake release is short-lived as Don't Matter With Me spent a solitary week at #20, but he is replaced with another Drake song, so we'll see if one of his Scorpion songs can catch fire with me this year.

2002 was an interesting year as it contains the longest unbroken streak of women at the top of the chart - 26 weeks in a row with eight different song. Advancing that streak was the #2 song of the year Soak Up the Sun. The song blocked Eminem from getting to #1 with Without Me. But he had the last laugh - Lose Yourself was released later that year and became the #1 song of 2002, blocking Sheryl.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:11 am

Fantastic debut for "God Is A Woman" - such a strong song <3
Tansike
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:11 pm

Tansike wrote:Fantastic debut for "God Is A Woman" - such a strong song <3
Much better to me than that promo with Nicki, and the video is gorgeous.

Thanks for checking in on my chart <3
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:30 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Thanks, I try to be open! I think it's more fun that way :) As for the change, I never thought about it, but starting in 2003 is when I started sharing my top ten with my friends and not just for myself, and they would comment, or ask me why a certain song hadn't charted and now that you mention it, that probably influenced it quite a bit. 2011 (and now this year) seem to be anomalies in lengthy #1s since then.
Ah, that makes perfect sense! Sharing my chart on UKMIX, and following other charts, has definitely influenced the music I check out/what appears on mine.

cheapthrills wrote:Oh, wow, thanks for researching. I still have to get back to you on your original question - I'm curious to know myself! It's probably one of the early charts. But yes, Janelle has been a favorite of mine for awhile, going back to 2010. Venus Fly charted probably because of Janelle and not Grimes, but now Grimes has a new audience in me. Venus Fly was fantastic and it was the #1 song the week I got my graduate degree. :D If you've been following my top 100 Artists countdown, you might notice Janelle hasn't shown up yet, but stayed tuned...
That's awesome, congrats! What was your area of study? I remember playing Lady Antebellum's "Bartender" a lot when I got my MA, since I had family flying in for the ceremony, which definitely made me want to grab a drink (or two...) :lol: "What I’m really needing now, is a double shot of Crown..."

cheapthrills wrote:Well, I'm goign to post my next chart soon, so you'll have to see if Guatemala held out for a 5th week :) I don't know much about Bahari myself, but they did feature on a Zedd song called Addicted to a Memory, which was #2 for 2015! Then this song came up on New Music Friday and I loved it!
I had no idea they'd collaborated with Zedd, so thanks for filling me in! I've really enjoyed several of his singles ("Stay," "Clarity," "I Want You To Know," "Spectrum," "The Middle," "Stay The Night," etc.), so I'll have to give that one a listen! How has he done here (aside from ATAM)?

cheapthrills wrote:So I just mentioned Zedd 's song was #2 for the whole year of 2015 and number 1 song that year was... King by Years & Years! It was their first song to chart and so far been their biggest success, though they have hit #1 three times (with Shine and Meteorite being the other two).
:o Wow, so Y&Y got off to a VERY strong start here! "King" was their first entry on my chart too (but it stalled at No. 2, so they didn't claim their first No. 1 until "Shine").

• Ooh...shame on me for counting Janelle out too soon! This unexpected turnaround makes for an especially nice surprise, though! :D
• Here I thought "I Like It" was a shoo-in for your next No. 1, and it ends up with the biggest drop :o I'm lovin' all these plot twists!
• A solid Top 10 start for Ari's latest offering! Admittedly, I'm not feeling it quite as much as a lot of UKMIXers seem to be, but I'm always glad to see her material connecting with people!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:13 am

YES at "I Like That" finally making it to #1! "God Is a Woman" is fantastic, so great to see it debut. Hope it climbs next week.

"Soak Up the Sun" is nice, but "Without Me" is the best song on the retro list.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts