Cheapthrills' Cheap 20

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 1/6:

* HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! I am in the midst of presenting my top 40 of 2017. I am up to #16 in my thread! Follow it here.

* So Natalia, that's how you do a comeback. Almost exactly 12 years ago she hit #1 with her group with the song Casa. She hasn't been back on the charts since. She's no longer a one hit wonder on my chart and she manages to hit #1 again. She breaks the record set by Pharrell for most time passed between number one songs. (The old record is 11 years, 3 mos.) Meanwhile, this is Miguel's 2nd top ten as well - he hit the top ten previously being featured on Janelle Monae's Primetime. The song is from the movie Coco.

* Rita Ora makes the biggest jump since May 2016 - a week in which Dua Lipa's Be The One jumped 18-3.

* Of the Despacito triumvirate, Luis Fonsi was the only one who hadn't charted before. Now he has a second top ten in Echame La Culpa.

So wit the year change we basically advance just one week on the retro chaert form the last week of 2013 to the first of 2014. Still the top five changed dramatically. This is often a week for big jumps as you can see Wizard made a bigger jump than Rita this week. And Let It Go was set to start a three week run at the top. She was sandwiched into between the two Lily Allen number ones. Let It Go began the start of what is now a four year streak of a movie song being number one in January. It was the last number one from an animated movie until this week.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 1/6:

* I will be wrapping up my top 40 today. Make sure you check it out here.

* Whatchugot leapfrogs over the competition thereby making Caro Emerald the first Dutch woman to ever hit ##1 on the list.

* Cardi B gets her second top 10 after hitting #1 with Bodak Yellow. Bartier Cardi is also waiting just outside the wings at #11.

* Dolly Parton's remake of her own Jolene nabs her the first top ten appearance she's ever had. A week from now, she turns 72, which makes her the second oldest woman (after fellow country star Loretta Lynn) to have a top ten on my list.

Retro is only three years back today, and we see Sia at the top with what was her first ever #1 on my list -s he's hit #2 three times prior, but it was a song from the remake musical Annie that propelled her to the top. Movies have had a tradition of yielding a #1 in January (see Remember Me last week) and Sia benefited from that. Bouncing back up was Uptown Funk, which had hit #1 the previous November. And one of my great regrets is that Blank Space topped out at #2 behind the forgettable Bright Lights, which would hit number one the following week.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 1/20:

* My 3000th post :D

* A few acts are doubling up this week - Eminem and Caro Emerald both enjoy a top five hit at the same time they debut with another song. Meanwhile, Cardi B adds a second top ten hit; it's her third overall.

* While Bruno Mars did hit #1 in 2014 with Uptown Funk, he was featured on that song. His last top five appearance as a lead was Treasure in summer of 2013, nearly five years ago!

Two monster hits dominated the charts two years ago. Adele's Hello had just finished a huge 8 week run at the top, and was succeed by a 7 week run for Coldplay. It wasn't until Feel It Still late last year that a run equaled Coldplay's performance. Another rarity - two country artists in the top five at the same time, and probably the only time they were both men.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:46 pm

Mess that my chart wasn't working and no one has been in here to say so :roll:

Catching up the last two weeks now.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 1/27:

* It's been a long time since the top five remained static, but it happens with this week, in which most of the action occurs below the top 10.

* Troye SIvan bounds into the top ten for the third time. In 2016, he was #1 with Youth, and last year he scraped the bottom of the top 10 with Heaven.

* Kendrick Lamar debuts with two songs at once - last done in May of last year when Juanes debuted two songs inside the top 10.

For the first time, the retro chart highlights 2017 - you could acually go back and see the top 20 for this one! There was a high turnover of #1s at this time a year ago. We saw Taylor's only #1 on my chart fall to #3 as Rihanna's biggest hit on the chart Love on the Brain soared up to #1 spot in a six point jump.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:01 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 2/3:

*Caro Emerald nabs a 4th week at #1. She is the only the 2nd Dutch person to hit #1 - the other being Sam Feldt, who has done it twice - in 2014 with the instrumental Bloesem, which also spent 4 weeks at #1 and was 2015s #1 song. He also hit #1 in August of 2016 with "Summer on You" Usually, I don't chart a song that's been out as long as Whatchugot (it was released last March), but with the play I've been giving this, it couldn't be denied.

* Finesse is officially the highest charting song from 24K Magic - both the title track and Versace on the Floor managed to make it to #6. That's What I Like charted, but did not crack the top ten.

* Eminem's collaboration with Kehlani moves into the top ten, giving Em three songs from Revival to make the top ten. This is the third album of his in a row to yield three top tens.

Since I just posted 2017's retro chart for last week, we cycle all the way back to beginning this week to 20 years ago :o Ugh that makes me feel old :cry: All of these songs have aged so much, except Janet who was about to have a huge #1 with Together Again. I can't even remember the last time I heard Tubthumping.

Last edited by cheapthrills on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 2/10:

*Troye Sivan leapfrogs over Ed Sheeran to grab his 2nd #1. He last hit #1 with Youth about two years ago. This is his 3rd top ten overall.

* It's a busy week for Kendrick Lamar who has three songs in the top two now that "Pray For Me" has debuted. Both songs that were already on the chart also move up.

* Dua Lipa's IDGAF may be the next single, but it's performance on the chart pales in comparison to Homesick, which shoots into the top 10 this week. It is Dua's 7th top ten - all accumulated in less than two years.

1999 was a long time ago :lol: And this was a rare week in which all five songs in the top five were #1 hits - Jewel was closing out a monster 8 week run at the top, something only 7 songs have accomplished since. The chart moved at a slow place back then, evidenced by Im Your Angel managed to last another 8 weeks in the top five after being booted out of #1 by Jewel. Miami would peak next, then Believe, then Body Movin. Believe was the #2 song of 1999.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:36 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 2/17:

*Playing catch-up here as I didn't have a chance to post last week's chart until now. Looks like I also forgot the heading on this chart. I am so messy :lol:

* Pray For Me makes a huge leap up the chart, and becomes The Weeknd's 8th top ten in the process.

* In the final weeks of 2016, Shakira and Maluma debuted with Chantaje peaking at #2. Now they are back with Trap. Since Chantaje, there has yet to be a week in which the top 20 did not feature a song with Spanish in it. Trap appears just in time to keep that streak going as Remember Me falls out.

There was a time on my chart when Elvis Costello hit #1 :lol: It was from the Austin Powers soundtrack, an album that became the first to generate three #1 toppers on my chart (the others being Time of the Season by Scott Weiland, and Beautiful Stranger by Madonna). Debuting at #5, To Zion from Lauryn Hill's landmark (and only) solo album was a juggernaut. Despite its lofty debut, it would take 14 weeks for it to reach #1, still the longest any song has ever taken to rise to the top. It would be the last song to ever chart from Ms. Lauryn. The MIseducation of Lauryn Hill was the first album to yield five top tens on my chart, and only five albums have accomplished five or more since (The Fame - Lady Gaga; Katy Perry - Teenage Dream; Born This Way - Lady Gaga; Adele - 21; Lily Allen - Sheezus).

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 2/24:

* Troye Sivan is #1 for a third week, matching his previous run with Youth.

* And I'm Leaving soars into the top 10. Credit SilentDream and his participation in the Song Collectors game for introducing me to this one.

* Kendrick lands a third top ten in as many weeks!

Four of the songs in the retro chart from 2001 hit #1, and spent a lot of time there as well as you can see just how slow my chart was moving in 2001. The big news was Shaggy who had two #1s. He came very close to being the first person to knock himself out of #1 as only a one week separation by Butterfly prevented it.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:49 pm

Hiya cheapthrills :D

Amazing to see Troye still holding onto the #1 spot. Also excellent seeing The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar climb into the top 3, and Dua Lipa into the top 5. All former #1 hits in my chart. :wink:

Nice little climb for Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey too. :D

Do you have an archive with your retro charts. They tend to interest me just as much as the latest charts especially when they include songs i remember. :lol:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:00 pm

JakeP wrote:Hiya cheapthrills :D

Amazing to see Troye still holding onto the #1 spot. Also excellent seeing The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar climb into the top 3, and Dua Lipa into the top 5. All former #1 hits in my chart. :wink:

Nice little climb for Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey too. :D

Do you have an archive with your retro charts. They tend to interest me just as much as the latest charts especially when they include songs i remember. :lol:
Did you see Black Panther? I just saw it last night and it's amazing and I was bouncing when Pray For Me was playing in the background of one scene. It has the potential to be big on my chart. I just realized All the Stars is also from Black Panther. I wonder when I last had two songs from the same film in my top ten together...

We'll see how Zedd does. He has had a lot of success on my chart, even having the #2 song of 2015. Maren Morris hit #1 with My Church a couple years ago but this is her first time back since then.

I have all my charts loaded on Google Docs and an Access database of all the songs. I am in the process of adding to the database to include weeks spent in the top 10, as I even tually want to post my top 100 artists chart and that will be a factor.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:10 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/3:

* I'm a little early this week, but I couldn't wait to post this landmark chart. A huge week on the Cheap 20 as we see something that's only ever happened three times before - a debut at #1! It goes to none other than the delightful Janelle Monae. After waiting almost four years for Janelle to return, I've been thirsty for new music, and she sure delivered. This is her fifth #1 overall, and third in the lead. As for the other three to debut at #1 - it's an eclectic group - Nirvana in 2002 (You Know You're Right); Crazy Frog in 2005 (Axel F) :o ; Gaga in 2011 (Born This Way). Now Janelle is the 4th.

* Janelle showing up last minute appears to have ruined Eminem's chance to hit #1. He holds the record for most number ones, but was looking to extend it.

* Black Panther becomes the first soundtrack to land two top tens since Fifty Shades of Grey (Love Me Like You do and Earned It - once again, The Weeknd was involved). I can only think of one other soundtrack that had two top tens at once on my chart - Austin Powers The Spy Who Shagged Me had Beautiful Stranger by Madonna and Time of the Season by Scott Weiland way back in 1999.

2002 also saw another big debut, though this was on rung lower at #2 - it was a song by Robbie Williams and Nicole Kidman called Somethin' Stupid. And it was. Thank goodness it never moved to number one, stopped by the absolute domination of Kylie Minogue, who had her biggest hit ever on the Cheap 20, and had the #3 song of 2002.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 am

Janelle has slayed with that track!
Thriller

Postby JakeP » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi cheapthrills :D

Wow, so it's taken 7 years since Lady Gaga for a single to enter your chart at #1? :o :P That's mightily impressive, but what an outstanding new #1. I'm loving Make me feel so much right now that it's so wonder the song crashed into my chart last weekend after just 24 hours of release.

Also great to see The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar continuing to hold strong for another week. Dua Lipa climbing to a new peak and Troye clinging onto 5th place. Three of my #1 singles in your top 5. <3

As for your retro chart, Can't get you out of my head is quite simply a masterpiece. Kylie performed a medley of hits last weekend on Saturday night takeaway and as soon as the intro kicked in, i had goosebumps. It really is such a sensational piece of pop history. :D That Robbie & Nicole duet was popular at the time but i was never that big a fan of that whole swing album Robbie released. :oops:

LOL at Crazy Frog being a #1 debut though. How i used to cringe at those adverts. :lol:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Oh! I missed the comments - How exciting to have comments on my chart :D

Thriller/JakeP, Janelle really delivered. It's funny because I listened to Django Jane first (which I also like) and thought oh, OK, this sounds like something I would expect from Janelle, and then I heard Make Me Feel, and I was instantly in love. Usually songs are not instant for me like that, but I knew this was special.

Jake, yes, it's really rare for a song to debut at #1, and this was the longest period ever. Usually, I like to see if a song will grow on me or if it burns easily before putting it at #1, but there was no such issue with Janelle. :) Our top 5 is really in synch right now - the top five is exceedingly competitive outside of the #1, but I expect Pray For Me to linger around there for awhile. I don't see Janelle being toppled very soon though.

Yesss, I knew UKmix would approve of that retro chart. I think she ended up being #2 for that year. Lose Yourself came in at the last minute to take #1.

And Crazy Frog was a very unique situation. It debuted at #1 and then was out of the chart the next week. It's kind of annoying it shares space with those other three iconic acts. :lol:

OK, posting my next chart.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:30 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/10:

* Janelle easily tops the chart for a second week. Her longest run at the top was being featured on We Are Young (3 weeks). All three songs in which she has topped the chart as lead have now been at #1 for two weeks.

*Dua Lipa has now had seven songs hit the top three, six of which went top 2. She started off on my chart with three consecutive #1s but has fallen just short since. Only IDGAF has failed to crack the top 10.

* Japanese Time by an artist called Rainsford debuts. I just now learned that Rainsford is actually Rainey Qualley, formerly a country artist who had a cute song called "Me and Johnny Cash" - but she's re-invented her career for a shot at pop fame.

* Yes, I know how to spell Ed Sheeran :evil:

An eclectic group, the top three consists of acts that never hit my chart again - nope, not even Queen Latifah, who reached #2 with a number from the movie Chicago. Coldplay, however, showed up on my top five for the first time ever, and would become one of the most dominant acts of my chart. 50 Cent would go on to have three more top 10s.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:42 am

Great to see "Make Me Feel" at #1 for a second week in a row. Janelle Monáe really came out of nowhere with that one, and "Django Jane," and "Make Me Feel" is the one that look like it'll have more mileage with me. I enjoy both songs, their messages, and their videos.

I'm also pleased that the two big Black Panther songs are featured in your Top 10! The Kendrick Lamar/Weeknd pairing works brilliantly on "Pray for Me".

"Trap" is Shakira's best single since..."She Wolf".

I like "Clocks" from the retro chart!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:46 am

*It wasn't a great week for Kendrick, but the Black Panther tracks are still hanging in there. Outside of Janelle slaying the top ten is pretty all over the place as far as placement right now. I think Janelle will stick around at the top for awhile, at least until something else comes out of nowhere.

I really like Django Jane, and I'm going to just have to treat that one as a second single of sorts because Make Me Feel is sucking up all the bandwidth .

The weird thing about Clocks is that after they charted with it, it wasn't until Viva La Vida that they charted again. I missed some good song sin between those.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/17:

* Yes, green for St. Patrick's Day this week :D

* It's been a long time since two songs debuted in the top five at once. I'll have to research the archives ;) The songs that debut are both from the Hamilton Mixtape from late 2016. I usually have a statute of limitations on how old a song can be, but I've been a little looser with it this year. They got a lot of play since I saw Hamilton this past Wednesday. They will likely have minimal chart impact next week.

* Another debut just outside the top 10 belongs to Years and Years. They have had five songs hit the top ten, three of which have gone to #1. Can Sanctify join them?

* The Weeknd has hit the chart eight times without hitting #1. That's 2nd place behind Kanye West for most tpo tens without a #1. This is only his second time at #2 - you have to go all the way back to his first chart appearance on Ariana Grande's Love Me Harder to find the last time he peaked this high.

2004 - I had just come back from a trip to Australia and New Zealand, and so Jamelia, Kylie, and Shannon Noll had a surge of popularity. Meanwhile, Kelly Rowland had her only #1 with an left-field cover of a 1950s song for the soundtrack of Mona Lisa Smile. The Darkness actually hit #1 before I went to Australia. Unsurprisingly, that was the only time they ever charted.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby SilentDream » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Omg, I actually came here because you mentioned that Caro Emerald was on your charts, so I decided to check out this thread and now I see that Leslie Clio’s “And I’m Leaving” is on your charts too. :o I guess because I chose that song for one round in the Song Collectors game? Tell me if you wanna hear more songs from Leslie Clio - she’s one my favourite artists ever. :D

Of course it’s also awesome to see those two Caro Emerald songs on your charts. :D
SilentDream
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:07 pm

SilentDream wrote:Omg, I actually came here because you mentioned that Caro Emerald was on your charts, so I decided to check out this thread and now I see that Leslie Clio’s “And I’m Leaving” is on your charts too. :o I guess because I chose that song for one round in the Song Collectors game? Tell me if you wanna hear more songs from Leslie Clio - she’s one my favourite artists ever. :D

Of course it’s also awesome to see those two Caro Emerald songs on your charts. :D
Yes, The Song Collectors is what prompted Leslie Clio! So far, it's the only song from there to make it here, though bluecherry's Frozen entry has been bubbling under for awhile. I'd love to hear more from her. It's one of my favorite new songs from the Song Collectors game. :)

This was a good week for Caro. I was sure The Ghost of You would be another #1 for her, but Janelle is so strong right now, I can't foresee anything stopping her.

Thanks for stopping by the chart :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby SilentDream » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:00 am

cheapthrills wrote:Yes, The Song Collectors is what prompted Leslie Clio! So far, it's the only song from there to make it here, though bluecherry's Frozen entry has been bubbling under for awhile. I'd love to hear more from her. It's one of my favorite new songs from the Song Collectors game. :)
Yay, it's always great when my promotion of my favourite artists works. :P You should definitely check out her second album "Eureka", it's her best album so far imo. Her other two albums are good too, though. Unfortunately, many of my favourite songs from her aren't on YouTube, but if I remember correctly you've mentioned to me that you found out about Caro through Spotify and all of Leslie Clio's albums are on Spotify anyway. You should definitely check out her songs "Sad Games", "Trying Times" and "All the Other Fools".

This one is good too and it's on YouTube, if you wanna check something out from her right now:
SilentDream
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:45 am

SilentDream wrote:
cheapthrills wrote:Yes, The Song Collectors is what prompted Leslie Clio! So far, it's the only song from there to make it here, though bluecherry's Frozen entry has been bubbling under for awhile. I'd love to hear more from her. It's one of my favorite new songs from the Song Collectors game. :)
Yay, it's always great when my promotion of my favourite artists works. :P You should definitely check out her second album "Eureka", it's her best album so far imo. Her other two albums are good too, though. Unfortunately, many of my favourite songs from her aren't on YouTube, but if I remember correctly you've mentioned to me that you found out about Caro through Spotify and all of Leslie Clio's albums are on Spotify anyway. You should definitely check out her songs "Sad Games", "Trying Times" and "All the Other Fools".

This one is good too and it's on YouTube, if you wanna check something out from her right now:
The video didn't work for me, but I was able to google it. It didn't grab me as much as the other two songs youve posted from her, but still very enjoyable. :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/24:

* Kacey Musgraves enters the top 10 for the 4th time - she has had two #1s and a top five song in the past.

* With the departure of both Hamilton songs, very few songs move down the chart this week. In fact, no songs in the top 10 move down. Though not noted, the biggest drop is only two points, as My My My dips from 12-14.

* All the Stars sneaks into the top five and in so doing, gives Kendrick Lamar two songs in the top five, with both songs from the same album. Sia accomplished this just a few months ago with her Christmas album.

One of the biggest hits on my chart is by one of the most obscure groups. At the time, they were called Cecilia the Band, but they broke up some time ago - they left a gem of an album behind called This is if you are ever bothered to check it out. One of the former band members is now an in-demand songwriter. Also in there, Josh Gracin with what would be his second chart topper, and John Legend's first appearance on my chart.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:25 am

Terrific Top 2 on the current chart! I'm happy to see climbs for "All the Stars" and "Sanctify", too!

"Space Cowboy" is okay, but I've definitely connected more with "Butterflies".

"Ordinary People" might still be John Legend's best song after all these years!
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts