Cheapthrills' Cheap 20

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:58 am

JSparksFan wrote:Terrific Top 2 on the current chart! I'm happy to see climbs for "All the Stars" and "Sanctify", too!

"Space Cowboy" is okay, but I've definitely connected more with "Butterflies".

"Ordinary People" might still be John Legend's best song after all these years!
It's true - John Legend set a really high bar for himself that has been difficult to cross. :)

Have you heard High Horse by Kacey yet?
Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournamentr!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:38 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 3/31:

* Kacey Musgraves enters the top 10 for the 4th time - she has had two #1s and a top five song in the past.

* The Middle moves into the top ten, meaning Maren Morris is no longer a one-hit wonder on the chart. She hit #1 a couple years ago with My Church, a rare country #1!

* The bad news for Amara La Negra is What a Bam Bam falls out of the chart after just one week, but the good news is she also enters at a higher position with Insecure.

2006 - when a black horse dueled a white horse on the chart and the black horse won :) Kelly very nearly claimed what would have been her 3rd #1 with Walk Away. And Shakira shockingly just fell short of #1 being held out by KT Tunstall.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:49 pm

Hey cheapthrills :D

Amazing result for Janelle getting 5 weeks at #1. I might have asked this before but which song has spent the most weeks at #1 in your chart?

So happy to see Pray for me holding strong in 2nd place. Years & Years making the top 5 is also a highlight this week. ;)

Aww also great for The middle making your top 10. The new David Guetta & Sia track is set to enter my chart this weekend although it's not as strong as Titanium and She wolf (falling to pieces).
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:17 pm

JakeP wrote:Hey cheapthrills :D

Amazing result for Janelle getting 5 weeks at #1. I might have asked this before but which song has spent the most weeks at #1 in your chart?

So happy to see Pray for me holding strong in 2nd place. Years & Years making the top 5 is also a highlight this week. ;)

Aww also great for The middle making your top 10. The new David Guetta & Sia track is set to enter my chart this weekend although it's not as strong as Titanium and She wolf (falling to pieces).
Well, I almost want to say my longest #1 doesn't count because it occurred in the first year of the countdown when the chart didn't change a lot. The record is 13 weeks, and it's a weird one - Loreena McKennit's The Mummers Dance. Just a few weeks after it hit #1, The Rockafeller Skank by Fatboy Slim was #1 for 11 weeks. in the years since, only one song has hit 11 weeks - Adele's Rolling in the Deep. I will say I don't see any competition for Janelle right now, though! :o It also helps that she debuted at #1 and din't climb like most songs do. Janelle has to start worrying when I get tired of doing car karaoke with her, but that doesn't seem to be a problem right now. :lol:

...which sucks for Pray For Me because I think in most weeks it would have gotten a week or two at #1. I really think it's such a fantastic song, but it's stuck behind one of the strongest songs of the past few years.

The Middle is so underrated - I'm glad it is getting all sorts of chart success. I am not sure of Flames either, hence it's tepid opening. It's going to need a few more listens.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:01 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Well, I almost want to say my longest #1 doesn't count because it occurred in the first year of the countdown when the chart didn't change a lot. The record is 13 weeks, and it's a weird one - Loreena McKennit's The Mummers Dance. Just a few weeks after it hit #1, The Rockafeller Skank by Fatboy Slim was #1 for 11 weeks. in the years since, only one song has hit 11 weeks - Adele's Rolling in the Deep. I will say I don't see any competition for Janelle right now, though! :o It also helps that she debuted at #1 and din't climb like most songs do. Janelle has to start worrying when I get tired of doing car karaoke with her, but that doesn't seem to be a problem right now. :lol:

...which sucks for Pray For Me because I think in most weeks it would have gotten a week or two at #1. I really think it's such a fantastic song, but it's stuck behind one of the strongest songs of the past few years.

The Middle is so underrated - I'm glad it is getting all sorts of chart success. I am not sure of Flames either, hence it's tepid opening. It's going to need a few more listens.
Ohh i don't recognise the name Loreena McKennit so curious to see if i'll recognise the song. Adele getting that 11 week run though. <3

I know what you mean about having a really strong #2 denied topping the chart due to a stronger track. It's happened a few times in my chart, the biggest example was when Katy B Crying for no reason stalled at #2 for three weeks kept off the top by Clean Bandit's Rather be. Also the three weeks when Katy Perry Rise blocked Britney's Make me... from the top spot, they were so close every week but Katy edged ahead each time.

I think The middle may have struggled initially because it sounds so similar to Stay but once i got past that, i realise that it's just a really great pop song. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:19 pm

Flames is a good entry. Your retro top 5 is all huge songs!
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:21 am

JakeP wrote:Ohh i don't recognise the name Loreena McKennit so curious to see if i'll recognise the song. Adele getting that 11 week run though. <3

I know what you mean about having a really strong #2 denied topping the chart due to a stronger track. It's happened a few times in my chart, the biggest example was when Katy B Crying for no reason stalled at #2 for three weeks kept off the top by Clean Bandit's Rather be. Also the three weeks when Katy Perry Rise blocked Britney's Make me... from the top spot, they were so close every week but Katy edged ahead each time.

I think The middle may have struggled initially because it sounds so similar to Stay but once i got past that, i realise that it's just a really great pop song. :D
Pretty sure Loreena is a one hit wonder - she never hit my chart again in any case. Fatboy Slim hit a few times in the years following that though. I guess this is a reminder for me to get back to getting my artists countdown in order.

I am fully here for Clean Bandit beating anything to #1, though it only peaked at #2 on my chart I believe :lol: being held by Sia's Chandelier.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:22 am

SholasBoy wrote:Flames is a good entry. Your retro top 5 is all huge songs!
Thanks Sholas - you changed your avi :o and I didn't recognize you !

That is a really great top 5 in 2006 - other than Bad Day, I still listen to all those songs still today. It's criminal that Shakira didn't get to #1 on my chart in retrospect. I was really feeling KT I guess.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:24 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Pretty sure Loreena is a one hit wonder - she never hit my chart again in any case. Fatboy Slim hit a few times in the years following that though. I guess this is a reminder for me to get back to getting my artists countdown in order.

I am fully here for Clean Bandit beating anything to #1, though it only peaked at #2 on my chart I believe :lol: being held by Sia's Chandelier.
Listened to The mummies dance and its an interesting song. I like it but it didn't grab my attention and make me think "whoa CHOON" :lol: :P Ahh i recognise the name Fatboy Slim but i was never that keen on his brand of dance. I liked the heavier eurodance type tracks that were in the charts when i was young.

Ohh cool Rather be and Chandelier were my top 2 favourite songs of 2014, they were comfortably ahead of everything else that year. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 4/7:

* Yay my 4000th post! :D

* And I'm Leaving got a lot of play this past week because I finally left Facebook this week after a decade of being on there. This was goodbye song :lol:

* There are no signs yet that Janelle is going anywhere. The last song to hit 6 weeks at #1 wasn't that long ago - it was Feel It Still, which had a 7th week at #1 in December. It was the #1 song of the year. The last one before that was... Cheap Thrills, also a #1 song of the year. The year is still early, but Janelle is a contender!

Speaking of #1 songs of the year, in this week, Rehab climbed into the top 5. Even though it only peaked at #1 for three weeks, it ended up being the #1 song of the year, mainly because it stayed in the top 10 for a long time. Blocking her path this week was Daughtry's forgettable Home. At the time, it made him the third American Idol contestant to top my chart after Kelly Clarkson and a country singer named Josh Gracin. I was obsessed with American Idol back then. Alfie was spending its final week in the top 5. Along with the Kaiser Chiefs, this was a good week for the Brits!

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 4/14:

* It's a busy week on the list as there are four debuts in the lower quarter of the chart. The highest of these goes to Calvin and Dua's One Kiss. It's been over three years since Calvin last appeared on the chart, when he peaked at #3 with Blame.

* Meanwhile, it's a good week for Kacey Musgraves, who sees a seven point jump form High Horse, and also a move closer to the top with Space Cowboy.

* There is a rare top ten re-entry as Curious yo-yos back up from #11.

The B-5s came out of nowhere in 2008 to release an album, their first in fifteen years, and they came out with the wonderful Funplex. It managed to prevent Mercy from hitting the top when it seemed a surefire #1. It also prevented what looked to be a #1 for 4 Minutes by Madonna. The song that ultimately knocked off the B-52s? Bleeding Love, which fell from 3-5 this week, but managed to yo-yo back up to #1 a few weeks later.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:01 am

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 4/21:

* Janelle Monae tops the charts for an 8th week, making it a baker's dozen of songs that have accomplished the feat. The last song to hit 8 weeks at #1 was Adele's Hello in 2015. It was knocked off in January of 2016 by Coldplay's Adventure of a Lifetime.

* Janelle also doubles up in the top five with her promotional single, PYNK. Janelle has doubled up in the top five before - back in 2010, she had both Cold War and Dance or Die in the top five concurrently for two weeks.

* This is Dua's third time hitting the top ten as a feature. She previously peaked at #2 with Scared to Be Lonely and #3 with No Lie. With a biggest jump mark, can this feature top both of them?

In 2009, another monster hit was in the midst of its 8 week run. Zero went on to be the #1 song of 2009. In 2nd place, a song by local Colorado success 3OH!3 was at #2. Their band name comes from the dialing the area code for Denver first.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:25 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 4/28:

*Its a 9th week of Janelle and with her album coming out today, I expect she'll get a 10th week next week as well. It's brilliant! You should check out the "emotion picture" she created. Make Me Feel is only the 8th song to reach 9 weeks at #1, and only the third in the last fifteen years. The other two both happened in 2011 - Born This Way (9 weeks) and Rolling in the Deep (11 weeks).

* A sad debut for Avicii who was killing it on this chart in 2014-2015 when he amassed five top ten songs, including Wake Me Up at #1

* Ariana Grande debuts at #4 - its her highest debut ever.

2010 and an ecelctic group was in the top 5. Stone Temple Pilots were about to hit #1 for the first time in nine years. They remain the only act on my chart to have hit #1 in three consecutive decades. Meanwhile, the haunting Kandi just managed to reach the top before getting knocked off by Bulletproof. And Christina Aguilera was hitting the top five for the last time (so far) as a lead artist.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:58 pm

The Janelle Monáe reign won't stop! :o I saw the emotion picture today, and listened to the album, and I have to say that it exceeded my already high expectations, both the emotion picture and the LP. I didn't think there'd be anything superior to "I Like That" and "Make Me Feel" on the record, but "Americans" really impressed me.

I have heard "High Horse", by the way - Kacey's new album is solid - so good to see that one still here.

I didn't like "Bulletproof" much in 2010, but I definitely appreciate it now. "Not Myself Tonight", on the other hand, was electro-pop brilliance that I acknowledged as such early on. It was in my 2010 year-end Top 20 (#19, to be exact).
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:17 pm

Sanctify was very close last week, but it looks like they'll have to settle for a #2 peak because Make Me Feel got some new life with the album release. I actually listened to it on Spotify first, and Americans didn't stand out to me. But then I saw the emotion picture, and it was suddenly a revelation. I've been aching for a Janelle album for years, and then she delivers this amazingly personal piece, which also has such wonderful music - I'm filled with such admiration for her. It's unusual for me to enjoy everything on an album, but she managed to produce something that I love wholly.

Kacey is another artist that stepped up her game with her latest. I wish she had more success in her genre, though High Horse is pretty genre-bending. I love that she is taking risks. It's an excellent album.

Not Myself Tonight was such a great song, and I was really disappointed that it flopped so hard. In retrospect, it's weird that she flopped in a time that pop girls were doing exceptionally well, but she'd been in the game a decade at that point and there's only so much shelf life pop artists get. She just hasn't been around since Lotus.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed May 02, 2018 8:02 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 5/5:

* While Janelle released her album on Friday, no new tracks make it this week, probably because listens were spread out among the tracks pretty equally, but I'm sure another of her tracks will find their way here in the next few weeks.

* Making a return to the charts for the first time in eight years, Kylie Minogue debuts with Raining Glitter. All The Lovers peaked at #5 in August of 2010.

* Janelle trades places with Avicii this week in what is the only change from last week's top five.

If this is the first time you are ever seeing my chart, then you might look at this retro chart and assume 10 week #1s are common, but in fact, this is the only other instance in the last fifteen years where it has happened - Adele moved up to #1 this week in 2011 and didn't look back for almost three months. Meanwhile, Gaga was on to her ill-fated second single, Judas and Rihanna had just been knocked off from #1 - her only lead to hit #1 on this chart until Love on the Brain did so last year.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue May 08, 2018 7:58 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 5/12:

* 11 weeks! Rarefied territory! Only Rolling in the Deep stayed at #1 as long since the new millennium!

* Ariana Grande has a 10th song hit the top 2. Only Adele has hit the top two with more songs.

* Bloom becomes Troye Sivan's fifth song to chart.

Im 2012, Janelle could also be found in the top five, albeit as a feature on We Are Young, and honestly, I always thought you could barely hear her, but whatever, it counted as her 2nd #1 at the time. But the big star this week was local Denver band Churchill, who had a huge hit with Change. I put this in the FSC last year and I think it came in 8th. :)

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Mon May 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 5/19:

* A BIG WEEK :D Twenty years ago this week, The Mummer's Dance was in its first few weeks at #1. It would go on to spend 13 weeks at the top. Since 1998, no song had even hit 12 weeks at the top... until now. Janelle Monae has only the second song ever to make it an even dozen at the top. As for tying Loreena, well...

* Last week, it looked like the top 10 was set to be an all-girls club for the first time ever. With both Avicii and Years & Years running out of gas, that left Calvin Harris as the only lead male to have a shot in the top ten, and he wasn't even the singer! That all changes as Childish Gambino crashes the club by making the biggest jump on the chart in almost exactly two years. The last time a song jumped fifteen spots, it was Dua Lipa, who was having her first chart hit with Be The One. It jumped from 18-3 that week before moving on to #1. That means Childish looks to be a strong contender for #1 next week.

* Kylie Minogue jumps into the top ten for the 4th time.

While Avicii falls off the chart this week, he was flying high this week in 2013 with his first song to hit the chart. It very nearly hit #1, but would just lose out as Can't Hold This leap-frogged over it the following week. Waiting in the wings was Get Lucky, which ended up being the #1 song of 2013.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun May 20, 2018 4:41 am

Chart Notes:

* This chart is being posted a tad early as I may not get to it next week... in any case, the big news is that Janelle's lengthy run at the top end this week, one week shy of tying the all-time record set in 1998. It's not all bad news for Janelle as she has this week's biggest jump in I Like That.

* Childish Gambino's three weeks to hit #1 is pretty fast, but of course, the song he knocked off debuted at #1, which is faster :). The last song to take three weeks at hit #1 was The Greatest by Sia.

* Troye Sivan nabs his fifth top ten.

* This is my 4444th post :)

Exactly a year after peaking at #2 with I Could Be The One, Avicii was peaking at #5 with Addicted To You, a song, which in the ensuing years has become my favorite of his. It never made it any further because, in a competitive week, Habits returned to #1 in an interrupted two weeks treak, The Walker ended a run at the top in what was a very chaotic run, and Problem was just about to begin a five week domination. Problem was Ariana's first song to chart on my list, but here she is four years later one of the most successful artists ever on my chart.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Chart Notes:

FOr the week ending 6/2

* Have you visited my top 100 Artists countdown? It's counting down the artists who have performed the best on this chart since it began at the end of 1997!

* Getting caught up... I had little time to post this chart because there is also a 2000-20009 Female-led Singles Countdown I'm hosting!

* Janelle Monáe sees a third single from her Dirty Computer album move into the top 10 - just in time for the Dirty Computer Survivor in Games!

* There, that serves as sufficient shameless promo for my threads :oops: I will post the current week's chart shortly.

2015's top five was an amazing chart. A Latin song knocked off a country song, which was the first entry for Kacey Musgraves, who just this year has two more top five songs. King was about to top the chart after that, and would go on to have the #1 song of 2015. At this point, I though Klingande might hit #1, but they had to settle for runner-up as the only song in that week's top five to never hit #1.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Gotta admit, ''Creep City'' is pretty catchy.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:36 am

heppolo wrote:Gotta admit, ''Creep City'' is pretty catchy.
Isn't it fun? One of my favorites of the songs I've heard recently. :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:11 am

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 6/9

* Hurry and visit the top 100 Artists countdown based on my personal charts! :)

* It's another big week for Janelle Monáe, as PYNK rebounds to give her three songs in the top 10. A woman hasn't managed three song in the top 10 at once since Adele in August of 2011.

* Troye Sivan moves up to #5 and along with Guatemala, gives men a amjority in the top five. The last time men had the majority was the first week of March when Troye Sivan was also at #5 with My My My. That was also the first week Janelle's Make Me Feel was #1.

Well, this is an iconic week to recall. My namesake hit #1 for the first time :lol: Dua Lipa was charting for the first time with Be The One. The top 3 songs in this week would all appear in the year end top 10.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:55 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 6/16:

* Yes, it's still happening - the top 100 Artists countdown

* The Dirty Computer Survivor has the unintended effect of making me come back to Janelle as all her songs move up, most notably Make Me Feel, in a run that looked like it was completed. She manages to nab another week at #1, which ties her for longest running #1 ever. At 16 weeks in the top 2, she ties another record, with Adele, whose Rolling in the Deep spent 11 weeks at #1, and 5 weeks at #2.

* Cardi B debuts with the third single from her album. It's her 4th song to chart overall.

We've rolled the retro charts all the way up to last year, which you can find in this very thread. Despacito jumped to #1, knocking off another Spanish song, Amarrame. This is the only time I've had back-to-back Latin #1s. Juanes was killing it with two songs in the top three.

At the time, I thought for sure Despacito would wind up as the #1 song of the year. In the end, it came in 4th, and unexpectedly,t he song sitting at #4 this week last year, too #3.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:59 pm

I guess the mystery of your year-end #1 song this year is wrapped up, and the year's not even half-done. :lol: Stellar consistency for "Make Me Feel", and I'm happy to see all the other Dirty Computer tracks as well. I checked out "Guatemala", and thought it was pretty decent.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts