Cheapthrills' Cheap 20

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 10/6:

* Mi Gente looked ready to exit the chart last week, but then Queen Bey comes out of nowhere to save it and it gets the biggest jump this week instead.

* Kelly Clarkson becomes only the fifth person to hit twenty top 10s on the chart.

* Two of three biggest drops this week go to Algiers, but the biggest goes to Anjulie's delightful "Where the Love Goes"

Here we have one of the first charts following the 9/11 attacks, probably most noticeable with Only Time which surged in the wake of the event. One song that for whatever reason gave me comfort in those weeks after was It's Not Easy by Five For Fighting, which rose to #2 this week in 2001. It would in fact set the record for weeks at #2 (nine!), and spend a couple weeks at #1 on top of that - it had one of the most epic runs on my chart ever, making its home in the top ten for nearly six months.

We also have Alicia Keys, topping the chart with the first of many top tens - until this week she was tied for fifth place for top tens with Kelly, but now Kelly has moved past her.

Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby JakeP » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:45 pm

Hi cheapthrills :D

Well, a few weeks ago Cardi B was top 5 in both MrRager and Tansike's charts and i just didn't get the song at all. Fast forward to today and...still nothing! :( :oops: I've always found US urban music quite hit n' miss and Bodak yellow just refuses to click when i do decide to give it another listen.

However, its nearest challenger Portugal. The Man is amazing to see. Feel it still is such an uplifting breezy little cuddle of a song and i love it so much. A former #1 in my chart too. :wink:

Ohh and Taylor has recovered nicely. I thought after her second week drop that was gonna be the end of Look what you made me do but it looks like she's done well to repeak. :D

I think it's safe to say Dua Lipa really has delivered one of the best pop songs of the year. New rules is a prime example of a song doing well on merit alone. Not fancy gimmicks, no trying to sound like everyone else, not having a rather basic boring music video. It only got to #2 in my chart but has actually outperformed quite a few of my #1 songs this year.

Depending on when you read this, you might notice my Logic avatar. Yes, that's how much i've been loving 1-800-273-8255 as it spends a third non consecutive week at the top of my chart.

I spy a little Havana creeping upwards, a future top 5 hit here? :P Hmm i checked out the Beyonce remix of Mi gente, and i know it's been released for charity, but it hasn't really had much effect on me and i still prefer the original version more.

Charlie Puth and Niall Horan have taken their time haven't they? :lol: It's great to see their singles climbing upwards.
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:46 pm

JakeP wrote:Hi cheapthrills :D
Hi JakeP :D Thanks for commenting on my chart!

I know Bodak is a pretty divisive song. Over on JSaprks Billboard Hot 100 weekly ranking, I notice very few people rank it in themiddle, either right on top or at the bottom. For me, it hits a lot of buttons - personal lyrics, humor, spooky background (when it's October), and her own personality just seem to work for me. Feel It Still is charging hard though, and (SPOILER ALERT) will almost assuredly be #1 in the next chart, so I know in advance you will appreciate that #1 more. :)

I burned myself out on Taylor's song pretty quickly, but then somehow picked it up again a couple weeks later. It's another song that goes well with October. It helps that I don't care for Ready For It, so it's not getting any play stolen from that.

It appears Dua will have only peaked at #2 on my chart as well. It came so close to #1 and it bothered me that she was denied, but she has camped out in the top five like few songs this year, so it will hopefully have a strong year-end placement. :)

I don't think Beyonce is going to have a long-term effect on Mi Gente. It was just about dead on my chart when Beyonce revived it, but it's still Mi Gente and I'm kind of over the song. :lol:

Let''s see - yes Havana is marching up the chart. I just keep loving that song more and more. I thought it might not out peak Crying in the Club (#5) but now I think it may have the legs to do so.

As for Charlie and Niall well, I mentioned last week their situation, and I think that benefits Charlie more than Niall. NIall had been bubbling under so long, it does feel like an old song to me now, even as it climbs towards the top ten this week. Charlie's song I avoided listening to because I haven't liked any of his previous songs, but it's different. SO while I think Niall is going to struggle, Charlie has potential to go top ten. :)

Leave it to you to leave a comment that allows me to say more than I ever do in my chart notes. :lol:
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 10/13:

* Portugal. The Man bounds into #1, easily outpacing Cardi B this week. The two songs were pretty far ahead of the rest of the top ten though.

* Beyonce nabs her 22nd top ten, good enough to place her in a tie for 3rd with Lady Gaga. 15 years ago this week, Beyonce was charting with her first top 10 hit (see below).

* A "violent" week in the debuts - Cannonball and Shot By My Own Gun both enter. This is Sam Feldt's 3rd top 20 song this year, and already his highest peaking of the three.

A landmark week that saw Kelly Clarkson and Beyonce both charting with their first hit on my personal chart. They've dominated the chart since then with Bey just getting her 23rd top ten this week and Kelly with her 20th last week. While Kelly's debut is iconic, Bey's is less so - a track off the Goldmember soundtrack meant to mimic 70s disco. Bey wasn't brand new to my personal chart, of course - but it was clear she was about to chart her own path, and she would blow up just over a year later.

Hey Goldmember holds the record for highest re-entry. It had debuted two months early, fell off the chart for a week, and then caught a resurgance when I actually saw the movie.

Oh, and Avril was having an amazing week with two songs in the top five at once. She managed to do this for three straight weeks. Both songs shared the top ten for nine weeks.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Leave it to you to leave a comment that allows me to say more than I ever do in my chart notes. :lol:
Oops! :oops: :lol:

Amazing to see Feel it still become your new #1. I've been really curious to watch this songs progress over the last few months. Now top 10 in America, i'm waiting for the UK to catch on but i suspect it'll be the UK where Feel it still fails to be successful. :roll:

LOL at your comments about October. So you love halloween then? :lol:

I've been surprised at the reaction to Taylor's ...ready for it?, it seems people either love or hate it. A bit like how you describe Bodak yellow.

Dua got really close to #1 but the impact of P!nk's What about us was immense and kept Dua off the top spot. Maybe Camila could at least equal the peak of Crying in the club but even if not, two top 10 singles is a great achievement. Havana could be heading into my top 10 this weekend too. :wink:

Aww, at least Charlie and Niall are doing well. Have you heard the new track from Charlie Puth yet?

You've probably mentioned this before now but when did you start compiling your own chart? When i think back to 2002, the closest thing i did to a chart back then was whenever i burnt my own music cd's and decide on the running order. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:01 pm

I have a Halloween playlist - haha. I've been doing it for awhile now, haha. Some of the songs on there are a little questionable (Goodies by Ciara, for example - cause of trick-or-treating), but most are standard fare referring to ghosts, monsters, and other Halloween type things. I'm much more into Christmas music so just wait until November and December :)

For awhile there (2010-2015), the playlist was enough to move a song to #1, but that didn't happen last year and it doesn't appear that much will happen this year on the Halloween angle. In 2015, though, the playlist was enough to prevent Adele's Hello from debuting at #1 (she did the following week, and ultimately had one of the longest runs of the decade.) I thought Bodak Yellow ("bloody shoes") and Look What You Made Me Do ("i came back from the dead, I do it all the time) might benefit from being added to the playlist, but the playlist is just not something I've been listening to much yet.

Ready For It would be a good Halloween playlist candidate too if I liked it. It just came off repetitive and we already have enough repetition in Look What You Made Me DO, so it just felt like more of the same. I'm hopeful her next single will cover different vocal territory. I'm getting Born This Way vibes so far though - a front-loaded single and album that ultimately fade quicker than expected.

Not heard Charlie's new song - let me warm up to Attention first. :lol:
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 10/21:

* Portugal. The Man easily outstrips the competition this week, holding for another week at #1

* Havana officially outpeaks Crying in the Club, whit hit #5 this past summer.

* Paloma Faith appears on the chart for the first time since 2014 when she was featured on Sigma's "Changing"

One of the more unlikely #1s ever, Hillary Duff sailed to the top for a lone week this week in 2003. She still holds the record for youngest female to hit #1 as she had just celebrated her 16th birthday the month earlier. Gravedigger would knock her off the following week when it got a boost from Halloween play - the first song to ever hit #1 based on its addition to the playlist. Meanwhile, Beyonce was just falling down the chart after peaking with her 2nd #1, Baby Boy - she has hit #1 five more times since.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:04 pm

JakeP wrote:You've probably mentioned this before now but when did you start compiling your own chart? When i think back to 2002, the closest thing i did to a chart back then was whenever i burnt my own music cd's and decide on the running order. :lol:
I broke this question out separately to plug my Top 100 artists thread, which will get in order in December. Why am I waiting until then? Because it will mark 20 years of this iteration of my personal chart :o

I asked a question at the beginning of that thread, so if you (or anyone else who happens to pass by this thread - not sure if anyone ese really follows it) have an answer, let me know.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:09 pm

I am so glad "Havana" outpeaked that Sia wannabe track (which I also like) but "Havana" is epic.Hopefully, it will even rise on your chart,.

It's nice to see "Attention", "New Rules", "Look What You Made Me Do" and inside your Top 10
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:07 pm

cheapthrills wrote:I broke this question out separately to plug my Top 100 artists thread, which will get in order in December. Why am I waiting until then? Because it will mark 20 years of this iteration of my personal chart :o

I asked a question at the beginning of that thread, so if you (or anyone else who happens to pass by this thread - not sure if anyone ese really follows it) have an answer, let me know.
Ohh i never noticed that thread until now. :o

I'll see if i can give any helpful tips although i guess a lot of the time its down to personal opinion. There is no right or wrong way of compiling a chart. It's all reflective of you and your own tastes. :wink:

Oh dear, i;m answering your question from that thread in here! :lol: :oops:

Anyways, i'm so happy that Portugal. The Man continues to do well. I'm actually getting excited at the prospect of this becoming a genuine successful single, i just wish the UK would hurry up and catch on. :(

Excellent for Camila, i wasn't sure whether Havana would managed to be her highest peaking single but she's done it with ease. :P

Also very happy seeing Paloma Faith entering in your chart too. :D Crybaby has become Paloma's biggest hit in my chart since Changing went to #1 in 2014.
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Mainshow wrote:I am so glad "Havana" outpeaked that Sia wannabe track (which I also like) but "Havana" is epic.Hopefully, it will even rise on your chart,.

It's nice to see "Attention", "New Rules", "Look What You Made Me Do" and inside your Top 10
New Rules came within a whisker of being #1 and it was hard to see it get blocked. I'm hoping it does well in the year-end. I agree on Camilla's first single. It burned on me pretty quickly, but Havana is certainly the superior track. It's going to fall this week due to some Halloween playlist interference, but I don't think it's done moving up.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:20 pm

JakeP wrote:Ohh i never noticed that thread until now. :o

I'll see if i can give any helpful tips although i guess a lot of the time its down to personal opinion. There is no right or wrong way of compiling a chart. It's all reflective of you and your own tastes. :wink:

Oh dear, i;m answering your question from that thread in here! :lol: :oops:

Anyways, i'm so happy that Portugal. The Man continues to do well. I'm actually getting excited at the prospect of this becoming a genuine successful single, i just wish the UK would hurry up and catch on. :(

Excellent for Camila, i wasn't sure whether Havana would managed to be her highest peaking single but she's done it with ease. :P

Also very happy seeing Paloma Faith entering in your chart too. :D Crybaby has become Paloma's biggest hit in my chart since Changing went to #1 in 2014.
Paloma is just getting going, but right now her most successful peak was also Changing, which hit #6. Feel It Still is turning out to be a beast - it's currently #1 in radio airplay in the US. On my chart, I don't see any competition for it yet.

Thanks for answering here or there. Just really conflicted on the featurings. Like if someone has hit the top 10 ten times as featured and ten times as solo, should they be equated to someone who was listed as lead on all 20. There are five or six artists who I am going to have a dilemma on how to place because they've been featured so often.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:42 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Paloma is just getting going, but right now her most successful peak was also Changing, which hit #6. Feel It Still is turning out to be a beast - it's currently #1 in radio airplay in the US. On my chart, I don't see any competition for it yet.

Thanks for answering here or there. Just really conflicted on the featurings. Like if someone has hit the top 10 ten times as featured and ten times as solo, should they be equated to someone who was listed as lead on all 20. There are five or six artists who I am going to have a dilemma on how to place because they've been featured so often.
Ohh that's pretty cool for Paloma, i loved Changing so much at the time and was so happy when it went to #1. :D Feel it still has even surpassed my own expectations, becoming such a popular song all over the world. I didn't think it'd achieve all this when it was #1 in my chart about three months back but i'm loving seeing its worldwide dominance. :D

Hmm maybe you could utilise a system where for e.g. Rihanna would get 10 points for Umbrella and then Jay Z would get 5 points as the featured artist. Rihanna has that many features, she would probably rake in loads of 5 points to add to her own singles where she would get the full 10 points.

But that's just me thinking of ideas on the spot. It's really entirely your call how you choose to proceed. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:21 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 10/28:

* Even though they aren't Halloween songs, Shot By My Own Gun and Cannonball were sufficiently titled enough to be added to my Halloween playlist and shoot up the chart as a result. They knock just about everything that had been ahead of them down - thus, there's a quite a lot of stagnation and songs moving down.

* I can't say I'm in love with the new Maroon5 song yet, but I've listened to it enough that it finally breaks out of bubbling under hell and dents the chart.

* Fell It Still fends off an advance from Logic to hold for a third week at #1.

Take Your Mama was in the midst of an epic 7 week run at the top this week in 2004. But coming to end its good thing was Karma, which we have learned in 2017 takes receipts. For Alicia Keys, it was her 4th #1 on the chart. I don't rmember why or how LL Cool J is on the chart. I don't even remember liking that song.

Last edited by cheapthrills on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 11/4:

* Looks like I forgot to mark the Biggest Jump (What Lovers Do) and Biggest Fall (New Rules) - both 4 point moves.

* Natalia Lafourcade hit #1 way back in January 2006 with Casa, and hasn't been back to the charts since until this week, nearly 12 years later. She is featured on Remember Me from Pixar's Coco. Miguel is also making only his second appearance - he last appeared in 2013 being featured on Janelle Monae's Primetime.

* Havana moves back into the top 5 after a one week absence.

EDIT: Wow, I forgot to update the title to reflect that this is this week's chart in 2005. I am such a hot mess this week!

Last week, the 2004 retro chart featured both Alicia Keys and Kelly, and a year later they were in the top five as well. IN 2004, it was Alicia who was at #1, but in 2005, it was Kelly freshly off a 3 week run with Because of You - at the time her 2nd #1 after A Moment Like This three years earlier. 12 years later, Kelly is still making hits with a current top 10. However, the big win was for Bonnie Raitt, who was having her biggest hit on my chart with her lead single "I Will Not Be Broken"

Last edited by cheapthrills on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:42 am

Even though I am a huge fan of Selena's, I dislike the new song. Anyway, it's nice it made an appearance on your chart, though.

Love to see Camila and Charlie Puth still being part of your Top 10 ;)
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:23 am

Fantastic #1! I'm pleasantly surprised a song like "Feel It Still" managed to be such a big hit in the US. It definitely doesn't sound like anything else in the US Top 10 these days.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Mainshow wrote:Even though I am a huge fan of Selena's, I dislike the new song. Anyway, it's nice it made an appearance on your chart, though.

Love to see Camila and Charlie Puth still being part of your Top 10 ;)
Charlie's rise has been so slow, lol. It really was a grower on me, though I think it''s biggest enemy is that it's been out for awhile now. Havana on the other hand is still fresh, and it looks like it will continue to move up next week. The video really helped to re-engage me.

Selena has been killing it on my chart this year. If Wolves manages to make the top ten, that will be 4 times in one calendar year - more than anyone else. But I agree of those four that Wolves may be the weakest. I think it will grow on me.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:26 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Fantastic #1! I'm pleasantly surprised a song like "Feel It Still" managed to be such a big hit in the US. It definitely doesn't sound like anything else in the US Top 10 these days.
I am surprised as well - and had the same observation. Billboard does that video of the top 10 every week and Feel It Still stands out immediately. I just can't stop playing it. It was way ahead of the other songs this week.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi cheapthrills :D

I echo the amazing top 2 sentiment, both being #1 in my chart and i'm so happy they have had genuine success and popularity.

Camila back into the top 5. :P I can't believe Havana has finally made it to #1 in the UK, i'm so happy for Camila. :D

Great climbs for Charlie Puth, Paloma Faith and Maroon 5, plus the new entry for Selena Gomez. Not heard your #3 or #4 yet so will add to my checklist. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:53 am

JakeP wrote:Hi cheapthrills :D

I echo the amazing top 2 sentiment, both being #1 in my chart and i'm so happy they have had genuine success and popularity.

Camila back into the top 5. :P I can't believe Havana has finally made it to #1 in the UK, i'm so happy for Camila. :D

Great climbs for Charlie Puth, Paloma Faith and Maroon 5, plus the new entry for Selena Gomez. Not heard your #3 or #4 yet so will add to my checklist. :wink:
This is a really solid top two - they even held out the minor Halloween onslaught this year. It was pretty muted this year - in some years, my Halloween playlist has completely disrupted the top five. Two years ago, it even prevented Adele's Hello from debuting at #1. You should definitely check out #3 and #4 - you can't beat ZZ Ward and Sam Feldt's song is a little like Wake Me Up to me.

I hope Havana hits #1 here too, but that seems unlikely - at least top 5 seems pretty certain. I like Camilla alone way more than I ever liked Fifth Harmony. Yes, all three are doing well an so far, I think all three will climb again next week.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 11/11:

* As you can tell by my avi, I am ready for Xmas and if that wasn't a tip-off, then Sia making a strong debut with the first seasonal song to chart should be. It's her second highest debut on the chart - last year, The Greatest debuted at #8.

* There's also a debut by Years & Years on the chart with Hypnotised, a song used I believ e in conjunction with an ad campaign - check out the amazing video that accompanies it. Hypnotised is probably one of the last non-seasonal songs that will debut for awile as my holiday playlist is about to take effect.

* While Mi Gente leaves the chart, Spanish can still be heard in the Remember Me entry, this week's greatest jump. It also means that Spanish has still been represented every week this year. Its tarted with Chantaje moving into the top 10 in the final week of 2016. Since then, there's been success from Despacito, Llegaste Tu, and Amarrame, among others.

Sometimes you look back and you just have to facepalm your charting decisions and Smack That was one - a song that dominated for 5 weeks. I was so thirsty for Eminem music that he could have probably appeared on any song and it would have gone to #1. Scisssor Sisters was dethroned by Smack That, but held #2 for three weeks, making 7 weeks in the top two overall - good enough to place it 2nd for 2006 (behind Gnarls Barkley's Crazy).

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 11/18:

* Feel It Still lands at 6th week at #1 to become the longest #1 of the year. The last song to last 6 weeks at #1? Cheap Thrills :D

* Positions 5-10 were quite tight this week so it will be interesting to see how it all shuffles out next week. In the shuffle, Maroon 5 land in the top 10 for the 13th time. I've come to the conclusion I don't really like this song though or maybe it's burned on me that quickly. In any case, it will almost certainly take a tumble next week.

* Next week's chart will likely be the last one before the Christmas playlist really takes over. We're already getting whispers of Christmas with this week's two debuts.

10 years ago, Juanes had a 2nd #1 on my chart - the first (and so far only) Latin artist to have multiple #1s in Spanish. He added a 4th earlier this year, but this song at the time was the last #1 song in another language for many years - until 2014. Alicia Keys stayed in the top five forever, but between the Christmas timing and the strength of the Juanes single, she could never complete the trip.

I don't even remember that Jay-Z song being on my chart. :lol:

Last edited by cheapthrills on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:10 pm

Oops, that retro header should be for 2007, not 2006 :P
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:15 am

Making an appearance on this chart just to see whats up
MusicRecords
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts