Cheapthrills' Cheap 20

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:17 am

phoenix98 wrote:• Ooh...shame on me for counting Janelle out too soon! This unexpected turnaround makes for an especially nice surprise, though! :D
• Here I thought "I Like It" was a shoo-in for your next No. 1, and it ends up with the biggest drop :o I'm lovin' all these plot twists!
• A solid Top 10 start for Ari's latest offering! Admittedly, I'm not feeling it quite as much as a lot of UKMIXers seem to be, but I'm always glad to see her material connecting with people!
JSparksFan wrote:YES at "I Like That" finally making it to #1! "God Is a Woman" is fantastic, so great to see it debut. Hope it climbs next week.

"Soak Up the Sun" is nice, but "Without Me" is the best song on the retro list.
LOL, yes Cardi was soooo close last week, and now it appears she has missed out at a second #1. I burned out on it much quicker than I thought I would and while Guatemala and I Like That are both decreasing, Guatemala managed to decrease just a little faster than Janelle. So, it was an unusual week! As for Ariana, she has debuted in the top ten with six songs previously - 4 of those went on to #1 (out of 5 #1s) and 2 went to #2 behind monster songs (Hello and Make Me Feel), so I think God is a Woman will do well!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:40 am

Phoenix98:

I just checked over my charts and the longest a song has spent at #2 without going to #1 is 6 weeks. This has happened five times. As I suspected, most of these are in the 1998-2002 era. Here they are (with the week they first hit #2 in parenthesis).

You're Still the One - Shania Twain (7/18/98)
Lady Marmalade - Christina Aguilera, Pink, Mya, and Lil' Kim (5/12/01)
Island in the Sun - Weezer (8/18/01)
Without Me - Eminem (6/15/02)
You Know I'm No Good - The Arctic Monkeys (6/23/07) [4 of these behind Amy's version]

Three songs have spent 5 weeks at #2:
1985 - Bowling For Soup (10/16/04)
Shut Up and Let Me Go - The Ting Tings (5/10/08)
Last year's Body Like a Back Road - Sam Hunt (4/22/17)

Looking at this, I guess Sam's 5 weeks at #2 were more interesting than I realized.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:08 am

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 7/28:

* My last week mentioning the top 100 Artists countdown which wrapped up over this past weekend. You can now see the full list.

* Janelle and Rae Sremmurd continue to tangle atop the chart as Guatemala reclaims the throne.

* Surprisingly, the two point hop for In My Feelings makes it the highest placing song for Drake this year. Nice For What stopped at #19, and Don't Matter To Me just made the gate at #20.

2003 and Queen Bey was killing it with her iconic debut. Her course was running to an end as she faced challenges from Jason Mraz and Pink. Oddly, Feel Good Time was Pink's first #1 after six previous appearances in the top ten, and it's hardly remembered today. I think it was even a flop back then.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:45 pm

cheapthrills wrote:I just checked over my charts and the longest a song has spent at #2 without going to #1 is 6 weeks. This has happened five times. As I suspected, most of these are in the 1998-2002 era. Here they are (with the week they first hit #2 in parenthesis).
Huge "THANKS!" for taking the time to research and compile all that! Like basically every list that I've seen from you so far, it's a pretty eclectic group! Funnily enough, "You're Still The One" holds a similar distinction on the Hot 100 (spending nine weeks at No. 2 without ever hitting No. 1, when the all-time-record is 10 weeks). "Without Me" stalled at No. 2 there too, but I don't remember exactly how long. Any rate - so Sam was just one week shy of tying that record here!

• Wow - now I'm especially glad that Janelle managed to sneak in that week on top, since "Guatemala" is apparently STILL a force to be reckoned with! :o
• "Feel Good Time" was a funny case on official charts, since it became P!nk's biggest flop up to that point in the US (No. 60), but managed to go Top 5 in the UK.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:04 pm

I didn't know Feel Good Time was a it in the UK!

Guatemala and I Like That have been tangling for weeks - haha. They both fit summer so well for me. :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:22 am

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 8/4:

* I Like That continues its yo-yo run, reclaiming the #1 spot for a second week while Guatemala falls out of the top five completely.

* Next week should be a competitive week as all songs in the top five move up!

* Martin Garrix nabs his 10th top ten with Ocean. It is also Khalid's second top ten appearance after being featured on Logic's 1-800 song last year.

It was a pretty rock heavy week this year in 2004, as only Alicia Keys managed to break through. Three rock songs in a row topped the chart for at least three weeks each, but it was Modest Mouse's dreamy Float On which held the crown in 2004.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:53 am

Of course I'm still happy to see "I Like That" at #1, but I just checked out "Savage" and that one's really good. It sounds like a grower, too.

Yay at the rapid ascent for "God Is a Woman"! Hope #1 is in the cards for Ariana's finest single yet.

As for the retro chart, "Somebody Told Me" is far and away the Killers' best song. Classic anthem.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:54 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Of course I'm still happy to see "I Like That" at #1, but I just checked out "Savage" and that one's really good. It sounds like a grower, too.

Yay at the rapid ascent for "God Is a Woman"! Hope #1 is in the cards for Ariana's finest single yet.

As for the retro chart, "Somebody Told Me" is far and away the Killers' best song. Classic anthem.
Hi JSparks:

I missed your comment since I was on vacation the last week.

I was introduced to Somebody Told Me by a friend named Vicki. I told her oh that is such a Vicki song, and dismissed it, and then found myself playing it all the time. :lol:

So glad to hear you checked out Savage! It was a grower for me as well. It took nearly three months to hit #2! Though (spoiler) the song moves down this week.

And as for Ariana, she does move up in the next chart...
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:12 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 8/11:

* Knocking off Janelle's 6th #1 is Ariana's 6th #1! God is a Woman hits number one, giving Ariana, like Janelle, three albums in a row with at least one #1 on the chart.

* An error in my image - Say Something by Sam Callahan is the song that falls off. He posts a lot of thirst traps on Instagram and that's why I gave the song a listen in the first place. :lol:

* Palo Santo as the title song from Years and Years' new album becomes their 2nd top ten. Their debut album, yielded four top ten songs, and two #1s.

This week thirteen years ago saw Mimi's biggest hit fall from #1, and replaced with Get It Poppin'. But the real star of the chart was Audioslave, who ended up having the #3 song of the year with Doesn't Remind Me. It was the biggest success for the late Chris Cornell on my chart. Meanwhile, Green Day's song debuted in the top five in August and managed to stay in the top ten until well after September ended, ending it's run when October ended instead.

Last edited by cheapthrills on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:45 pm

• Looks like Ari's prayers have been answered! What were her five prior chart-toppers here? I was wondering what blocked "No Tears...", but I should've figured it was the song that spent 13 weeks at No. 1 this year! :lol:
• I hadn't heard of Sam before, but your comments inspired me to check out his Instagram... :o
• I know "King" and "Shine" made it to No. 1 here, so which of the following Communion offerings missed out on the Top 10: "Desire," "Eyes Shut," or "Worship"?
• Really pleased to see "Americans" enter! It's another of my favorites from Dirty Computer, and definitely one of the most instant tracks when I first played through the album.
• So much high school nostalgia in that 2005 chart! "Pon De Replay," "Wake Me Up...", and ESPECIALLY "We Belong Together" were all over the radio that year.

Yet another divine chart, cheapthrills! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:06 am

A divine chart - I see what you did there :lol:

LOL, am I not right about Sam Callahan? I think he was a contestant on X Factor or something there. :)

Ari's previous chart toppers: Problem, Bang Bang, Santa Tell Me, Dangerous Woman, and Into You :) She also has four #2s! I think she is in the running for most top 2 songs now! Adele or Eminem might have her beat. I'll have to check. Y&Y's single to miss the top 10 was Worship. Eyes Shut just managed to squeak in there.

The Janelle train just keeps going :D

2005 was a great year for music -one of my favorites :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:14 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 8/18:

* The biggest Jump goes to Years and Years who now have six top fives under their belt.

* Have been returning to the Dirty Computer and so we see a week in which two tracks move up while I Like That maintains a place in the top ten.

* Haven't been able to find a video, not even a lyric one for The One, a nice slice of retro R&B from singer Porcelan. It came up on a New Music Friday in Spotify and it was instant with me. I am puzzled why it's so hard to find.

Probably one of the most forgettable #1s, Smiley Faces by Gnarls Barkley ensured they weren't a one hit wonder (they actually had four top tens). They likely got to #1 purely on the afterglow of Crazy, which remains an all-time classic for me. Crazy had spent eight weeks at the top. We also had one of the trademark ridiculously long titles from Fall Out Boy - in fact, it's the longest titled song to ever hit my chart. Somehow, Smile did not go to #1. SexyBack, however did and would be #1 the following week.

Last edited by cheapthrills on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby CZB » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:38 pm

As I begin to collect this week's new top fives for tonight's new UKmixParade, I see that the image in the post above doesn't display your new chart as described in the commentary, but repeats last week's instead !
CZB
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:32 pm

CZB wrote:As I begin to collect this week's new top fives for tonight's new UKmixParade, I see that the image in the post above doesn't display your new chart as described in the commentary, but repeats last week's instead !
Thanks for the heads up! I'll fix it tonight and part my top five in your thread for now.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:26 pm

Updated :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:40 am

Your chart makes me smile! :D

"God Is a Woman" spending a second week at #1, "Palo Santo" soaring to the top 5, and "Americans" climbing to a new peak. Great to see three of the year's finest offerings doing so well here!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:30 pm

cheapthrills wrote:A divine chart - I see what you did there :lol:
;)

cheapthrills wrote:LOL, am I not right about Sam Callahan? I think he was a contestant on X Factor or something there. :)
Oh, his Instagram is EXACTLY as you advertised :o :lol: Boy knows how to set thirst traps like a professional hunter...

cheapthrills wrote:Ari's previous chart toppers: Problem, Bang Bang, Santa Tell Me, Dangerous Woman, and Into You :) She also has four #2s! I think she is in the running for most top 2 songs now! Adele or Eminem might have her beat. I'll have to check. Y&Y's single to miss the top 10 was Worship. Eyes Shut just managed to squeak in there.
OoOh...a quality collection of chart-toppers there! "Problem," "Santa Tell Me" (I'm especially pleased/amused to see this among the bunch), and "Into You" hit No. 1 over on mine too. Of course, now I gotta ask: what were her No. 2's (other than "No Tears Left To Cry")?

• Awesome to see Ari still sitting high in the heavens as Sweetener finally hits shelves!
• Lovin' the new peaks for "Palo Santo," "Girls Like You," AND "Americans."
• I owe Jake's chart for encouraging me to give "Darkside" a listen, and it's been growing on me more than I initially expected!

Yet another transcendent chart, cheapthrills! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:58 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Your chart makes me smile! :D

"God Is a Woman" spending a second week at #1, "Palo Santo" soaring to the top 5, and "Americans" climbing to a new peak. Great to see three of the year's finest offerings doing so well here!
Yay! You should like this week's chart too then :)

Love all those acts so much <3
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:09 pm

phoenix98 wrote:
cheapthrills wrote:LOL, am I not right about Sam Callahan? I think he was a contestant on X Factor or something there. :)
Oh, his Instagram is EXACTLY as you advertised :o :lol: Boy knows how to set thirst traps like a professional hunter...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I went to Vegas and it turned out he was there at the same time. He posted a picture from the hotel right across the street from where I was! And I DM'd him and I'm like, Dude! I am here too! Right across from that hotel! Heard nothing back - he probably thought I was some creepy stalker. :lol:

cheapthrills wrote:Ari's previous chart toppers: Problem, Bang Bang, Santa Tell Me, Dangerous Woman, and Into You :) She also has four #2s! I think she is in the running for most top 2 songs now! Adele or Eminem might have her beat. I'll have to check. Y&Y's single to miss the top 10 was Worship. Eyes Shut just managed to squeak in there.
OoOh...a quality collection of chart-toppers there! "Problem," "Santa Tell Me" (I'm especially pleased/amused to see this among the bunch), and "Into You" hit No. 1 over on mine too. Of course, now I gotta ask: what were her No. 2's (other than "No Tears Left To Cry")?
[/quote]

Break Free (#2 to Rude by Magic)
Love Me Harder (#2 to Baby Don't Lie by Gwen Stefani)
Faith (from Sing) (#2 to Love on the Brain by Rihanna)
No Tears Left to Cry (#2 to Make Me Feel by Janelle)

Thanks for asking :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:36 am

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 8/25:

* Normally a #2 debut would be the highest of the year, but Janelle Monae topped that earlier this year. Still, it's a fitting chart for Aretha, a singer I have loved since my teens. I chose Think as the Aretha representative because it is one of the songs that I first fell in love with and have played often over the years. With Aretha's high debut, a number of songs get pushed backwards, meaning only four songs move up the chart this week. I believe that might be a record low.

* There is some other big news at the bottom of the top ten as Make Me Feel and Americans enter the top 10 together. Janelle got a lot of replay this past week, and that allows Make Me Feel to re-enter the top ten for a 23rd week. That's the most since Rolling in the Deep spent 25 weeks in the top 10

* This is my birthday chart and I am glad to crown Ariana #1 for a third week to celebrate :)

In 2007, my father had just passed and this song of a soldier penning a letter in the event of his death hit me hard. It is probably the only #1 I never listen to anymore because of the feelings it conjures.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:10 pm

cheapthrills wrote:I went to Vegas and it turned out he was there at the same time. He posted a picture from the hotel right across the street from where I was! And I DM'd him and I'm like, Dude! I am here too! Right across from that hotel! Heard nothing back - he probably thought I was some creepy stalker. :lol:
:lol: Rude! Especially considering he owes you for all the great PR work you've done for him here. Clearly his loss!

cheapthrills wrote:Break Free (#2 to Rude by Magic)
Love Me Harder (#2 to Baby Don't Lie by Gwen Stefani)
Faith (from Sing) (#2 to Love on the Brain by Rihanna)
No Tears Left to Cry (#2 to Make Me Feel by Janelle)
You're out-fanning me here - I don't even have "Faith" in my library :lol: Time to remedy that! I love all of the others, though (and even the songs that blocked them, except for maybe "Baby Don't Lie." Gwen's "comeback" wasn't doing much for me until she dropped "Make Me Like You").

• Happy belated birthday! Glad to hear the occasion had you feeling like a god. 8-)
• RIP Queen of Soul :( Admittedly, I don't know her huge catalog very well, but "Think" is definitely one of her most recognizable and beloved offerings. She was certainly one of the most legendary and influential artists of the 20th century (and beyond...)
• Lovely to see Janelle tripling up inside your Top 10!

Yet another blessed chart, cheapthrills! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:35 am

I know Baby Don't Lie was kind of a fluke hit, and I had a friend who was completely aggravated when Start the Fire did so well on my chart (it went to #3 and stayed there for a month) :lol: I was really hoping Gwen would have a bigger comeback.

Thanks for the birthday wish :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:14 am

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 9/1:

* It's been a slow, arduous climb for Girls Like You, which finally cracks the top 10 this week to become Maroon 5's 15th top ten , the most of any group. It remains to be seen though if they can get any higher. They haven't had a top five song since 2013 (Daylight).

* Make Me Feel spends a 24th, and almost assuredly last, week in the top 10. That makes it the third longest top 10 run ever. Rolling in the Deep is at #2 with 25 weeks, but at #1 with 26 weeks? Five For Fighting's Superman (It's Not Easy), which spent 11 weeks at #2 (and 2 weeks at #1).

* Thinking a lot about my dog who was just diagnosed with cancer :cry: But it drew me to the song Me & My Dog, which isn't about a dog at all, but rather a break-up. It debuts at #16 this week.

A great top five in which there was ab it of turnover at the top. One British act knocked off another as Duffy ceded the throne to the Tings Tings. It was the only #1 for both of them. If you were a Rihanna fan at the time, you were likely completely annoyed to see Disturbia leap-frogged not once, but twice, with consecutive songs that made a #5 to #1 move as Jason Mraz would top the chart the following week.

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Spartan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Retro 5 are all amazing, especially Duffy.
Spartan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:40 am

Spartan wrote:Retro 5 are all amazing, especially Duffy.
One of her best for sure. I do love that top five. :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts