Cheapthrills' Cheap 20

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Chart Notes:

Note: For week ending April 15th.

* Yes, the Sheeran juggernaut that is The Shape of You manages to conquer my chart as well as it finally completes a slow ascent to #1 while it makes its 11th week at #1 on the hot 100. The last song to top both charts was none other than Cheap Thrills, but there hasn't been a song that's simultaneously #1 on both charts since Adele's Hello in the fall of 2015.

* Sam Hunt is on his 4th top ten hit with Body Like a Back Road, and now on his third top five. Only two male country artists have equaled three top fives - Tim McGraw and Josh Gracin.

* Faith falls off the chart this week formally closing the door on songs from 2016.

Well, if 2012 shows anything, it's that Janelle Monae is consistent about being featured on awesome songs. She was also in the top five just five years ago featured on fun's huge success We Are Young, and while Janelle has continuned to chart, fun was good for 2012, and then hasn't charted since. The song that knocked off We Are Young made a startling 10-1 jump, but I think I may keep that song in my pocket for the next UKMix Euro contest. :) One other interesting thing about this chart - Kelly Clarkson drops to #5 NINE weeks after hitting #1 -its longevity was amazing for a song that had peaked. (Usually, once a song peaks, it descends rapidly down the chart.)

Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Chart Notes:

* Gaga sets the record for most top tens in dazzling fashion by debuting at #10. She debuted slightly higher with Perfect Illusion last September at #8. That moves her past a tie with Rihanna, who just broke the record in February. Gaga debuts just as John Wayne falls off the chart.

* No Lie falls out of the top ten, which could have meant we had no one doubling up in the top 10 after 11 weeks in a row. BUt taking their place in Clean Bandit's Symphony, giving them two simultaneous top 10s. Will Symphony equal Rockabye's success?

* Love on the Brain falls off the chart, and was the last song on the chart to chart during the Obama era :cry:

2013 remains one of my favorite chart years, but one of its weakness is what a sausagefest it was. Emeli was spending her 2nd and final week at 31 and no woman would hit the #1 spot on my chart until October when Lorde finally broke the streak with "Royals."

Last edited by cheapthrills on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Phoenixx » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:29 am

Finally somebody has the same #01 like me...again :D

Great Song. Sad that almost nobody's charting it that high! Good for the parade!

I don't know why but I ever confuse this song with Stay by Zedd & Alessia...Which is also great! ;)

You know the Despacito Remix by Justin Bieber? ;) :D
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby MrRager » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:35 am

Nice no.1!

Loving Lady Gaga's song. Scared To Be Lonely is also good. Nice to see Kodak's Tunnel Vision in your chart. It's great!
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:20 am

Phoenixx wrote:Finally somebody has the same #01 like me...again :D

Great Song. Sad that almost nobody's charting it that high! Good for the parade!

For three days :evil:

Phoenixx wrote:I don't know why but I ever confuse this song with Stay by Zedd & Alessia...Which is also great! ;)

You know the Despacito Remix by Justin Bieber? ;) :D
I do. I like it a lot - sure I will chart it too.
Last edited by cheapthrills on Fri May 19, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:29 am

Chart Notes:

* In all the Gaga excitement last week, I neglected to mention that Kygo and Selena both hit #1 for the first time last week and this week they hold off some strong competition to make it last.

* Who was the last male country act to hit #2 on the chart? It was none other than Sam Hunt himself, who hit #2 at the beginning of 2015 with Take Your Time.

* Justin Bieber has had limited success on this chart and so far has mainly had it confined to Sorry, which hit #2. He has a chance to improve on that performance with Despacito on which he's featured. It debuts at #14

2014, and the week before I made the mistake of opening my chart up to an online chart vote. Sia was devasted by this vote as she fell from #2 to #11 - she was primed to hit #1 the following week. She'd have to wait another 8 months to reach the top. Meanwhile, Rather Be peaked on my chart and was only Clean Bandit's only song to chart until Rockabye came along - nwo they have two top tens at once! And I had completely forgotten about Man Man's song and how wonderful it is.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:16 am

Hi cheapthrills :D

Amazing climb for Lady Gaga. A future #1 or is this likely to be its peak. Likewise also love seeing Clean Bandit sneaking into your top 5. :wink:

I gave that Body like a back road song a listen as it was #1 in Paul's chart, but it didn't much of an impression on me. If The Chainsmokers did a country song, it would sound like Sam Hunt. :oops:
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon May 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Chart Notes:

* Despacito follows up its high debut last week with a top ten appearance this week. It's only the Biebs' 2nd top ten appearance after Sorry. That's right - Despacito did for him what Love Yourself didn't.

* Neither Latin songs nor country songs regularly appear in my chart - both quite occasional, but this week sees two Latin songs and one country song in the top ten. That has only happened one other time - see the retro chart for more details!

* It's an extremely competitive top five right now, staying the same as last week with the exception of a strong resurgence by Venus Fly.

I still love all these songs in what was an unusually diverse top five. For the first time ever, a country female led the charts, and that was after knocking off a Latin song by Juanes (oddly, Juanes knocked off a country song almost exactly 10 years earlier). Until this week, this was the only chart to have two Latin songs (Eres Mi Verdad moved into the top 10, and would eventually hit #1 itself) and a country song in the top ten. Klingande's song would challenge for the number one position itself, but would fall short at #2.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon May 01, 2017 1:02 pm

JakeP wrote:Hi cheapthrills :D

Amazing climb for Lady Gaga. A future #1 or is this likely to be its peak. Likewise also love seeing Clean Bandit sneaking into your top 5. :wink:

I gave that Body like a back road song a listen as it was #1 in Paul's chart, but it didn't much of an impression on me. If The Chainsmokers did a country song, it would sound like Sam Hunt. :oops:
Sam Hunt's song keeps growing on me; he's been a favorite of mine in the past so that has helped him get repeated listens initially - now I think it's such a sweet song. <3

Gaga didn't move to #1 this week, but don't count her out yet - she's just getting started. :) The top five really tightened this week and any of those songs could be number one next week.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Fri May 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Chart Notes:

* Janelle Monae surges to the top for what is her 4th #1 on the chart. She last hit #1 in October of 2013 with Dance Apocalyptic. This is Grimes first song to hit #1.

* Shakira moves into the top ten for the 12th time, and makes the chart the most Latin it may have ever been in the process as three Latin songs now appear in the top 10 for the first time.

* To add to the Latin success, Juanes debuts this week - but with a song in English - his first ever.

So there were competing Joans brothers at this tiem a year ago, but the real story was in two iconic debuts at the bottom of the chart. -

Dua Lipa's first chart hit, Be The One, debuted at #20, and the following week would take a huge jump to #3, subsequently topping the chart. By year's end, she'd have the #7 song of the year, and has since gone on to thit #1 two more times, and have an additional two more top tens. Matching all that?

The other debut - even more iconic... yes, it's hard to believe a year ago was when Cheap Thrills debuted on the chart. It would knock Dua off and stay at the top for 6 weeks. Since then, Sia has also had two top tens and two #1s - she became the first person to have the top TWO songs on my year end chart.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon May 15, 2017 6:14 pm

Chart Notes:

* Juanes has a huge week, not only soaring 10 spots to grab Biggest Jump honors, but gets the year's highest debut being featured in Mon Laferte's Amárrame. This may be the first time that someone has had songs in two different languages on the chart.

* In a normal week, a 9 point jump would be good enough for Biggest Jump, but it is still impressive nonetheless as Serena Ryder nabs her first top 10 with Electric Love.

* Four songs fall out of the top ten in a busy week - that's the first time that's happened since January when all the seasonal songs fell out.

Oh boy - way back in the time machine as we cycled up to 2016 last week. Now, back to 1998 and that lands us in the first week of The Mummer's Dance iconic run at #1 - 13 weeks to be exact, and no song has topped that run since. Since 1998, only two songs have even managed double-digit reigns - Lose Yourself and Rolling in the Deep.

Madonna was coming off her first #1 on the chart with Frozen, and Shania was getting ready to run an extended stay in the top five. She'd peak at #2 for several weeks, having the unfortunate luck to peak under one of the most dominant songs ever.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon May 22, 2017 5:33 pm

Chart Notes:

* Queen Gaga comes to take the throne this week for the first time in ages. Almost six years have passed! She last hit #1 in September of 2011 with Scheiße, of all songs (Hey, I was in Munich for Oktoberfest and I gave it a lot of play as a result, OK?) She's hit the top five half a dozen times since then, but hasn't been able to quite complete the job until now. This is her 8th #1, which ties for second place (with Adele) for most #1s.

* Two (mostly) Spanish songs appear in the top five this week - a first. Two years ago, there were two Spanish songs in the top 10. They both hit #1, but were never in the top five at the same time.

* In a mostly quiet week, Stay's small three-spot drop from #12 to #15 is this week's Biggest Fall, while just below them, Kygo and Ellie get off to a decent start with a four point rise, the week's biggest.

Ah, 1999 - the millenium was coming to an end and Fatboy Slim was dominating the chart with a 5th week at number one. Ricky Martin would outlast him to capture #1 in a couple weeks. But the bigger news was who fell out the top five that week - Cher, who had just spent fifteen weeks in the top five (songs lingered longer on my list back then), moved from #5 to #8, only to replaced by Orgy's Blue Monday of all things.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue May 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Chart Notes:

* The Cure ekes out a 2nd week at #1 against a surging Amárrame.

* Both Spanish songs continue their climb to #1, now occupying two of the top three positions this week.

* ZZ Ward enters the top 10 for the 4th time

This week in 2000 saw a number of legends in the top five as Santana knocked out Stone Temple Pilots. Britney Spears was charting with what has turned out to be her only top five appearance on my chart - "Oops" ended up peaking at #4. And The Real Slim Shady was on track to become one of the biggest songs of the year.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Colbie » Wed May 31, 2017 5:55 pm

Love your #1 hun!
Mic Mic Bungee
Colbie
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Colbie wrote:Love your #1 hun!
Thank you, Colbie <3

I love it so. :'(

Unfortunately, it takes a tumble thus week, but will remain top five.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Chart Notes:

* Amárrame becomes the first Spanish song in two years to top the chart. "Eres La Verdad" by Mana and Shakira was #1 in May of 2015.

* Juanes is featured at #1 and lead at #2, meaning he is only the 4th person to ever land in the top two positions at once:
------ It first happened at the turn of the millennium, with two tracks from 98 Degrees' Christmas album holding the top two the final week of 1999 and the first week of 2000.
------ It would be a decade before the next act, Eminem would accomplish this feat. Like Juanes, he was featured at #1 on Airplanes and lead at #2 with Not Afraid. Not Afriad had peaked at #1, fallen, and then reversed course to #2. It happened this week in 2010.
------ Only three years passed before the next act repeated the feat. This time is was Pharrell, who was featured in both the #1 (Blurred Lines) and #2 (Get Lucky) songs. For good measure, Happy was in the top five as well (it peaked at #2 well before its commercial breakthrough the following year.)
------ So far, no women has done it, but Adele came tantalizingly close in 2011 when two of the top three were hers. Rolling in the Deep was at #1 and Set Fire to the Rain was #3 for two weeks. Set Fire to the Rain moved up to #2 the week Rolling fell to #3.

* Selena Gomez gets her fourth top ten with Bad Liar. Too bad it seems to be flopping in real life. :cry:

Fatboy Slim dominated the chart in the early years, accumulating 28 weeks at #1 in just three years. It would be 10 years before anyone would surpass his total. This was his fourth number one

Weapon Choice was strong enough that it managed to keep one of the strongest #2 singles ever on my chart - Lady Marmalade, which succumbed and feel this week as Eve became a new challenger. The eventual usurper, Dave Matthews, would knock off Fatboy, but today, is the most forgettable to me of the top five here (all the rest which I still listen to today).

Wow, I was very wordy this week. :lol:
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Chart Notes:

* It was already a banner year for Latin music even before the last couple of weeks, with three Spanish songs managing to hit the top ten in the first third of the year, but these week is a new first - as the top two songs are both primarily in Spanish.

* Despacito moves to #1 in the first ever instance of one Latin song bumping off another. It's also the first #1 for all three.

* Two songs enter the top 10 - featuring acts who have all previously entered the top ten before. Martin Garrix gets his 6th entry; Goldfrapp now has a 4th top ten, and Troye Sivan now has three.

At this time in 2002, women were having a blockbuster year in which there were 27 weeks in a row in which no man hit #1. That was helped mightily by Bonnie Raitt, who was in the midst of her biggest chart hit on the chart, a 6-week #1 which would finish #2 for the year.

In an interesting turn of events, she held out Without Me, one of the strongest #2 singles ever. It spent six weeks at #2 with the bulk of that behind Bonnie. But Eminem would get the last laugh at year-end as his next song to chart in the top five, Lose Yourself, would take the #1 crown for 2002 just ahead of Bonnie.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Chart Notes:

* Despacito spends a 2nd week at #1. Before Despacito, Justin's highest peak was with Sorry at #2. For Daddy Yankee, it was Gasolina, which hit #3. Luis Fonsi has never charted previously.

* First Time limps into the top 10, and will have to be grateful at that as it should fall next week. It manages to become Kygo's 4th top ten and Ellie's 8th in the process. Speaking of which, oh dear, the notes chart has the wrong Kygo song as a former #1. Those 3 weeks at #1 should go to It Ain't Me :oops:

* Awoo debuts this week after I heard it some commercial and added it to Spotify. :)

2003 and Bey was about to rule for the next six weeks. To do that, she had to knock off one of the sillier #1s on my chart, not much of a challenge. Atomic Kitten has never returned to my chart since. Bey? She's had 20 top tens on my chart since then, enough to put her in 4th place overall.

Meanwhile, there was a slight case of 80s nostalgia as a quirky Bangles remake sat at #3 after they had released their first album in over a decade. Since then, they have hit once more at #9 with a remake of We Belong in December of 2009.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Chart Notes:

* It's been almost fifteen years since the chart's top 7 positions all remained stagnant. I went back and looked through my charts and while there were a handful of close calls (most recently May of 2012 where the #6 position changed, but the top 7 were otherwise the same), I had to go all the way back to November of 2002 to find a comparable situation. Notably, at #7, was Beyonce's first solo on my chart - "Hey Goldmember "from Austin Power. :lol: Nirvana had debuted at #1 the week before and was holding it's position. It was the first song to ever debut at #1. It has only happened two times since then.

* Bruno Mars gets his 15th top ten, placing him just outside the all time top 10 list.

* At #13, Wish I Knew You is the week's highest debut.

This week in 2004, the top five was also fairly stagnant. There's a perplexingly high debut for Heaven by Los Lonely Boys, a song that's brief chart life thereafter confirms an inflated position. Meanwhile, Muse was charting on my list for the first time, with a song that remains their biggest hit on my chart.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:45 am

"Despacito" makes for a solid #1, but I'm even more excited to see "Crying in the Club" make it to the Top 10, and yay for another hit for Bruno Mars. He's been the stand-out male artist since he broke through in 2010. Just quality single after quality single.

I just listened to "Help Me Mama". The chorus is a bit repetitive, but it's not bad.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:26 pm

Help Me Mama has definitely outperformed. I thought it might scrape into the top ten, but it managed to grow on me, and has better on my chart than I would have guessed. I agree it is repetitive. ut when I sing along, it kind of works for me :) I would check out some of her other stuff; she has a really nice, bluesy discography

YASS to Camilla breaking into the top 10 8-)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:17 pm

Chart Notes:

* Congratulations to this week's #2, which won UKmix's Eurovision contest last month :)

* Despacito ties with Rockabye for longest running #1 of 2017.

* Last week, half the songs on the chart held their position. This week only two (#1 and #10) do.

So 2005. And - oh my word, Bo Bice... yes, I'm that one person who was #teamBice instead of Carrie Underwood. Carrie would have to wait another four years to make my top ten - I was so bitter that Bo lost - haha. But his party was quickly coming to an end as Mariah was about to charge into #1 with what was her biggest hit on my chart (and everywhere else), We Belong Together. Bo never appeared on my chart again, but Carrie has returned four times - so I guess Carrie had the last laugh even on my chart after all.

Also of note, Kanye West was charting with his first top ten hit. He has since had eleven more top ten songs, none of which hit #1. Kanye hold the record for most top tens without a #1.

Juanes also was spending his final week in the top 5 after his monster hit La Camisa Negra had topped the chart. It was the #1 song of 2005. And here we are twelve years later and he's again in the top five. :)

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:11 pm

Chart Notes:

* Despacito gets a 5th week at #1, making it the longest a song has been at #1 since... Cheap Thrills! Cheap Thrills lasted six weeks at #1 - can Despacito surpass it? (Interestingly, it was a year ago this week that Cheap Thrills had its 6th week at #1)

* Dua Lipa was killing it in the top ten a year ago at this time, with Be The One at #9 and Hotter Than Hell at #5. Both ended up being #1 songs. She'll try for another as New Rules debuts at #19.

* Camila Cabello breaks into the top five. She hit #1 as a member of Fifth Harmony. She's the first person to accomplish getting both a top five song as a solo artist and as part of a group since Nate Ruess, who hit the top five with Pink on Just Give Me a Reason in 2013, also had three top five hits with fun the previous year.

In 2006, India Arie was the giant killer who took Crazy down after 8 weeks on top. It would be India Arie's 2nd #1 after topping the chart with Video five years earlier. She has hit the top five only twice since. And enjoying her first top ten was Lily Allen, who has gone on to one of the more successful charters on this list - hitting the top ten with 13 total songs.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Phoenixx » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:14 am

Love your #01. And I'm also happy to see Bad Liar and Crying In The Club that high! 8-)
Hope It Ain't Me can hold a few more weeks here :)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:07 am

Phoenixx wrote:Love your #01. And I'm also happy to see Bad Liar and Crying In The Club that high! 8-)
Hope It Ain't Me can hold a few more weeks here :)
Unfortunately that is the peak for both of them, and It Ain't Me is about to fall out :(
cheapthrills
Manager

Return to Personal Charts