Cheapthrills' Cheap 20

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:14 am

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 7/22:

* Despacito's run comes to an end as Serena Ryder bumps it down to #5. This is Serena's first song to chart and it has hit #1.

* Fetish debuts this week, giving Selena Gomez three songs in the top 20 - an accomplishment enjoyed by Alan Walker earlier this year.

* Bruno was about at his peak, but the David Guetta remix allows the song to surge to #6.

Heavy Sigh - 2007 - this was the chart just three weeks before my father passed. There were competing versions of You Know I'm No Good, and while it's no shocker Amy won out, the Arctic Monkeys were fierce competition holding down the #2 spot for six weeks. In the year-end tally, Amy ended up just two spots higher than the Monkeys.

Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:37 am

Love "Fetish", so great to see that one making your Top20 this week. Also really happy to see "Bad Liar" in the Top10 :D

Kinda surprised (in a good way!) to see ZZ Ward's "Help Me Mama" here. It's cool, and her album is actually really good. A shame she's pretty unknown :(
Tansike
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:39 pm

Tansike wrote:Love "Fetish", so great to see that one making your Top20 this week. Also really happy to see "Bad Liar" in the Top10 :D

Kinda surprised (in a good way!) to see ZZ Ward's "Help Me Mama" here. It's cool, and her album is actually really good. A shame she's pretty unknown :(
Selena has been killing it this year. I think she's had some of her best work! Fetish is certainly top 10 material. :)

Nice to see another ZZ Ward fan! I lvoe her bluesiness. She'll probably debut with another song from her album here in a couple weeks.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 7/29:

* Lost in last week's change at the top was the fact that this is the first time one Canadian (Serena) has replaced another (Justin) at the top of my chart.

* It's been quite a year on the chart for non-Americans. 13 song shave hit #1, but only 1 (Gaga's "The Cure") has been solely by an American.

* Debuting at #20, Kesha has what is only her 2nd chart appearance with "Woman". Her only other appearance was being featured on Zedd's "True Colors" last year.

Ahhh, 2008 - when the winds of Hope were shifting towards an infinitely better presidency than the one we have now. And Violet Hill was peaking in what ended up being the year-end #1, amazing for such a shot run at the top. Duffy would actually have a longer run at the top, but it was her previous single, Mercy, which would make the year-end top 5 (despite not topping the list).

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:06 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 8/5:

* The Revivalists top the chart with their first chart entry. That makes four #1s in a row in which someone was enjoying the top spot with their first chart appearance. (Mon Laferte, Luis Fonsi, Serena Ryder, and now the Revivalists). Such a streak last happened two years ago, only it was 7 songs in a row!

* In fact, the top five is entirely composed of freshmen - none of the acts in this week (and last week's top five) had ever appeared on my chart before. That could change as early as next week.

*Woman appropriately nabs highest jump this week in a tpo ten that sees three women bound into the top 10, but none so much as Kesha whose Woman scales 10 points this week. It's only her 2nd top ten after True Colors made it last year. That's right - she never hit the top ten during her peak years!

2009 and Gossip was topping the chart with a great one - Heavy Cross. They'd only appear on the chart one more time. They would be knocked off by I Gotta Feeling which was pervasive everywhere this summer eight years ago. It would be BEPs 2nd #1, but they never charted another song on my list after that because I was frankly so sick of hearing them on the radio, I could go the rest of my life without listening to them again.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:01 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 8/12:

* Trombone Shorty has been around for awhile, but I never heard of him until his latest single. Horns are the way to my heart and this week it flies to #1 - the quickest rise (5 weeks) since Rockabye in March.

* Despacito was on its way out, but gets a slight bump this week due to all the Youtube watching to see when it would top 3 billion.

* Linkin Park squeaks into the top 10 this week in light of the sad news of Chester Bennington. It's their first top 10 appearance since 2009 and their 8th appearance in the top ten overall.

Eminem and Rihanna smashed hard on the chart in 2010, and just barely lost out y to Lady Gaga's Bad Romance that year for the year end number one. No other song in the top five was a serious challenger, but the Noisettes managed to score their 2nd top ten hit. They have charted only four times, and the other three times were all #1 songs. This might have hit #1 too if the competition hadn't been so fierce.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 8/19:

* Very delayed this week, but should post the chart for the next week shortly.

* Oh dear, look at the Calvin typo. In any case, for Pharrell, Katy and Calvin, Feels represent their first return to the chart since 2014. Calvin (see, I can spell it right) last appeared charting with Blame, which reached the top 5 in December of 2014. Katy last appeared with Dark Horse, and Pharrell was last on the chart with Aerosol Can.

* I probably burned out on Versace (oh look, another typo!) too soon as it's just gathering steam in the US now, but I've been playing it since the start of the year so I've tired of it by now. It gets this week's biggest drop.

No one on my chart has ever had as strong a chart year as Adele in 2011. Not only did Adele top the charts four times in 2011 alone, but she spent nearly the entire year with at least one song in the top THREE. And in fact, she wouldn't leave the top three until June of the following year. This week in 2011, she actually had her first three singles all in the top 10, but Set Fire to the Rain reigned supreme among them. Bruno Mars, who strggles so mightly on my chart this week, was charging hard for #1. He would knocked Adele out of the spot, only to be in turned knocked out by her as she ascended with Someone Like You.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:09 am

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 8/26:

* Delayed again. It was a busy week. My birthday AND the eclipse! Regarding the latter, I made an eclipse playlist, and that results in Rudimental landing the highest debut of the year. It will likely peak there as well though, as the eclipse is now over, so no playlist :)

* Also entering this week is Anjulie who hasn't been seen on the chart since last decade when she hit the top five with "Boom" in October of 2009.

* Algiers moves to #1 with their first chart song, knocking off Trombone Shorty who accomplished the same.

This week in 2012 was a drama filled chart week. With the acts on the top five, you'd think this was a chart from the 1990s, not 2012. In the end, sentimentality won out and Whitney Houston fended off two common competitors, who both debuted in the top five, a rarity in any week. It remains the last time Whitney would peak on the chart. It is also the last time that Madonna was in the top five.

Last edited by cheapthrills on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:28 am

Hi cheapthrills :D

Not heard your top 2 so will add to my playlist of songs to check out. :wink:

Ohh happy birthday, hope you had a great day. :D Ahh and the eclipse too? :P What was it like? I've never experienced anything like it but from i've seen on tv, it looked really cool. You made a playlist and didn't include Total eclipse of the heart? :lol: I thought that was so funny seeing that song going to #1 on America's iTunes.

Great to see Dua Lipa climbing to a new peak. Love Feel it still and Feels so i'm happy to see those two songs here as well. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:14 pm

JakeP wrote:Hi cheapthrills :D

Not heard your top 2 so will add to my playlist of songs to check out. :wink:

Ohh happy birthday, hope you had a great day. :D Ahh and the eclipse too? :P What was it like? I've never experienced anything like it but from i've seen on tv, it looked really cool. You made a playlist and didn't include Total eclipse of the heart? :lol: I thought that was so funny seeing that song going to #1 on America's iTunes.

Great to see Dua Lipa climbing to a new peak. Love Feel it still and Feels so i'm happy to see those two songs here as well. :D
Thank you so much for checking in :-*

I hope you enjoy the top two. I know they are kind of different from the usual, but I really can't stop playing them!

The total eclipse was awe-inspiring. I think I have a video I could link to - it's just amazing how it goes from light to dark within a minute, like a light switch, not like the sun setting where you get gradual darkness, just instant twilight - haha. We could see some of the planets, and the air got cooler, and there was a 360 degree orange glow at the horizon. I did include Total Eclipse of the heart! I had like 120 songs on my playlist, but Sun Comes Up was the only one recent enough to be eligible. I very rarely chart older songs on my top 20! :)

I love both of the Feel songs :lol: They both move up on the next chart as you can see...
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 9/2:

* Well, OK, LAST week we had the highest debut of the year, but then Taylor decided to show up and wreck it all as she makes the primary interesting move this week by debuting at #4. Look at what I made Taylor do. :cry:

* Imagine Dragons make their 5th top ten appearance with Thunder. It's been over three years since their last appearance - "On Top of the World," which peaked at #8 in March of 2014.

* Outside of the Taylor debut, it's a pretty slow week as far as moves. I don't think I'ever had a Biggest Jump go to a song that only moved up two places! Oops, a typo. Help Me Mama fell off last week and I forgot to delete it from that section. :)

Four years ago this week, Blurred Lines wrapped up a monster run at the top, with an 8th week at #1. I loved singing along to this when it was huge, even if the lyrics are questionable. While it spent several more weeks at #1 than any other song that year, it ended up in the #2 spot for the year behind "Get Lucky," which was sitting at #10 this week in 2013. Avicii was about to slay, and Gaga could never quite overcome it to get the #1 spot for herself. Applause would be Gaga's last top two appearance until The Cure went to #1 two months ago.

This was truly the week of Pharrell - besides Get Lucky and Blurred Lines, he was in the top ten being featured on Nelly's "Get Like Me," and he was charting in his own "Happy," a song that peaked on my chart in the July of 2013, about seven months before it topped Billboard's chart!

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby JakeP » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:01 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Image

Four years ago this week, Blurred Lines wrapped up a monster run at the top, with an 8th week at #1. I loved singing along to this when it was huge, even if the lyrics are questionable. While it spent several more weeks at #1 than any other song that year, it ended up in the #2 spot for the year behind "Get Lucky," which was sitting at #10 this week in 2013. Avicii was about to slay, and Gaga could never quite overcome it to get the #1 spot for herself. Applause would be Gaga's last top two appearance until The Cure went to #1 two months ago.

This was truly the week of Pharrell - besides Get Lucky and Blurred Lines, he was in the top ten being featured on Nelly's "Get Like Me," and he was charting in his own "Happy," a song that peaked on my chart in the July of 2013, about seven months before it topped Billboard's chart!

Hey cheapthrills :D

So...i never did get round to checking out your top 2! :oops: I will give them a listen shortly. :wink:

Incredible for Taylor though! :o I think yours is another chart where songs don't tend to enter high so that's some first week impact. I have to admit i really wasn't sure what to make of the song last week hence why it wasn't an instant hit that makes me chart after just 24 hours. The music video has pretty much made the song come to life. Regardless of what people think about Taylor Swift, she has released the best music video of 2017. I will be surprised if anyone else can top this by the end of the year. Sorry Swish swish... :lol:

I have to comment on that 2013 commentary because even though i only started compiling my own chart in August 2013 it seems we both liked many of the same songs. I'm sure that Get lucky would've been my #1 of the year with Blurred lines second and Wake me up third. They were easily my three defining songs of the year. However, Happy only started to become a hit in the UK in late 2013 so it eventually peaked at #5 in my chart in January 2014.
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:53 pm

JakeP wrote:[
Hey cheapthrills :D

So...i never did get round to checking out your top 2! :oops: I will give them a listen shortly. :wink:

Incredible for Taylor though! :o I think yours is another chart where songs don't tend to enter high so that's some first week impact. I have to admit i really wasn't sure what to make of the song last week hence why it wasn't an instant hit that makes me chart after just 24 hours. The music video has pretty much made the song come to life. Regardless of what people think about Taylor Swift, she has released the best music video of 2017. I will be surprised if anyone else can top this by the end of the year. Sorry Swish swish... :lol:

I have to comment on that 2013 commentary because even though i only started compiling my own chart in August 2013 it seems we both liked many of the same songs. I'm sure that Get lucky would've been my #1 of the year with Blurred lines second and Wake me up third. They were easily my three defining songs of the year. However, Happy only started to become a hit in the UK in late 2013 so it eventually peaked at #5 in my chart in January 2014.
Yes, that week in 2013 was amazing - Get Lucky ended up beating out Blurred Lines by just one point! I don't keep a running count on points during the year because I like to be surprised, and that was definitely unexpected! Wake Me Up also made my top 10 for the year. Had I held off on Happy, I'm sure it would have hit #1 as well

As for Taylor, yes, I'm not a big fan of debuting a song high just because I like to wait and see how the song grows on me over time. This is why most of my songs tend to climb. Occasionally, I have a song that just gets so much play that it's silly to start it off low, and LWYMMD is one of those. It'll take a dip this week as that obsession has leveled off, but I don't think it's done by a long shot. I'll be posting the next chart in just a few moments. :)

And if you haven't checked out my top two yet, there' still time... 8-)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 9/9:

* Well, as you might notice in the above comment, Taylor does take a dip this week. While there is a drop in play from Taylor, she's not done. She's just not getting the amount of attention she did last week, and righ tnow, I am expectign her to rise back up in the coming weeks.

* The top two flip this week allowing Here Come the Girls to be the first song to return to number one since "The Greatest did so last November.

* 2014 had one of the most surprising year-end #1s, and it moved into the top 5 for the first time this week in 2014 (see below). That would be the instrumental Bloesem, which ushered in an era of tropical EDM on my chart. That was by far the best performing instrumental ever on the chart. Sam Feldt has gone on to hit the top ten six more times, including a #1 in 2015 and 2016. He will try to keep that run going with Yes, currently sitting at #18 on this week's chart.

While 2013 had the summer of Pharrell, Ariana Grande was the breakout for summer 2014. Like Pharrell, she had two number ones that summer - 5 weeks for Problem in May/June and 4 weeks for Bang Bang in Aug/Sep. For good measure, Break Free peaked at #2 in July. All three singers would go on to have at least one more song hit #1 in 2015 (Santa Tell Me was #1 going into 2015; Truffle Butter hit #1 in February 2015, and The Man With the Bag hit #1 in December of 2015).

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:52 am

YES at "Bodak Yellow" becoming a Top5 hit on your charts 8-)
Well, i have to admit that i'm already slowly getting over it, simply because there are currently so many other great songs out at the moment, but it's nice to see her being so successful :)

Also liking "New Rules", "Woman", "Look What You Made Me Do", "Feels", "Havana" and "Fetish" :)
...oh, and "Bang Bang" on the Retro list.
Tansike
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:34 pm

Tansike wrote:YES at "Bodak Yellow" becoming a Top5 hit on your charts 8-)
Well, i have to admit that i'm already slowly getting over it, simply because there are currently so many other great songs out at the moment, but it's nice to see her being so successful :)

Also liking "New Rules", "Woman", "Look What You Made Me Do", "Feels", "Havana" and "Fetish" :)
...oh, and "Bang Bang" on the Retro list.
Yesss Cardi :D She will likely stay in the top five again, though it' starting to be one of the most competitive top 10s I've had in a long time, so I don't know how long she can last there. The top three have been locked for three weeks straight now.

I thought Fetish would peak higher on my chart, but it's just super tight right now, and unfortunately she'll have to settle for #7 this time around. She's had a great year on my chart though. So glad there's another person who loves Woman and Havana :) And Taylor's song should reverse course next week.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:49 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 9/16:

* Algiers and Trombone Shorty switch places once again in what has been a tag team at #1 for a few weeks. Dua Lipa holds strong at #3 to complete the unusually tight top three for past month.

* It is 2017's ultimate irony - Katy Perry's greatest commercial success is as a feature on a Calvin Harris single rather than any of the three from her Witness album. Here, it's her first top ten in over three years - since she reached #2 with Dark Horse in 2014.

* Pizza becomes Martin Garrix's 7th top 10. Right now, that ties him with Panic at the Disco for 2nd place with the most top 10s without hitting #1. Perhaps Pizza will flip its way to #1 and end his bad luck.

Years and Years had a big drop from #1 this week in 2015, as it fell all the way to #8. That left room for most songs in the top five to move up the chart, including what until just a few weeks ago was Rudimental's only song to chart, Rumour Mill - a #1 hit for them with Anne-Marie and WIll Heard (who also have one more top 10 each).

Uma Thurman was about to become a force as I started reviewing songs for my Halloween playlist - since Uma Thurman samples The Munsters theme it got added and it dominated October as a result.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby stevyy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:59 pm

yass, stan for Dua. I like her album. :D
stevyy
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:30 pm

stevyy wrote:yass, stan for Dua. I like her album. :D
+1

But Taylor, Cardi B & Imagine Dragons are also great choices!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:37 am

She's been killing it on my chart the last 18 months. :) I just love her voice and she brings a much needed sound I think is absent from music right now.

Mainshow wrote:
+1

But Taylor, Cardi B & Imagine Dragons are also great choices!
Yessss :D The top five is shaping it to be competitive since Cardi, Taylor, and Dua are all moving up on tomorrow's chart. Dragons are pretty much done for now; hopefully they will have an improved chart peak with their next single.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 9/23:

* Algiers holds strong for a 4th week, just the second act this year to do so (after Despacito), and it does so in an increasingly competitive period. The next week is already looking to be too close to call.

* Tove Lo debuts on the chart exactly a year after topping the list (See below).

* Several songs make a three point move, but Taylor does it the highest up the chart and gets Biggest Jump honors.

It makes me sad to post this retro chart and it's strange that it came up in the queue of all weeks since I just cycle forward a year each week. I sent this chart to a friend from another music forum on this day last year. I don't know if he ever got because I didn't get a response. He passed away the next day. I know he would have been pleased with Tove at #1 though.

Last edited by cheapthrills on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 pm

"New Rules" <3 - I also like the great update for "Slow Hands" and "Attention" - Both songs are great!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Mainshow wrote:"New Rules" <3 - I also like the great update for "Slow Hands" and "Attention" - Both songs are great!
I was pretty late to the party for both Niall and Charlie. Niall at leastwas floating around just below the top 20 for awhile, but I completely slept on the Charlie song - he's probably peaked everywhere but my chart. :lol:

Next week is so close - no idea what will be #1, but I am starting to burn on Algiers.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:11 am

Chart Notes:

For the week ending 9/30:

* Grab the Bacardi, because Cardi B moves to #1 this week after a 9 week climb. It also moved to #1 on the Hot 100 this week, making it the first time that the #1 on both charts has changed hands on the exact same week since Someone Like You by Adele in September of 2011.

* Yes, I realize I mislabeled Bryson Tiller on the Logic song. It's actually Khalid. This is the first top ten for both Logic and Khalid, while it's the third time for Alessia Cara.

* Fifth Harmony only made the top ten once on my chart, though they hit #1. Camilla Cabello now does them one better by getting a second top ten hit, following Crying in the Club's #5 peak in July.

With Madonna and Janet Jackson both appearing in the top 5, you could easily mistake this for a 1980s chart, but no it's from 2000! Papa Roach and Madonna ended up tying in points when vying for #1 song in the year, and the tiebreaker was most weeks in the top ten which went to... Papa Roach! Madonna had to settle for 2nd. But not even making the top five was a sogn that spent much longer than either of the at #1 - 98 Degrees biggest hit on my chart. They managed to rack up four #! songs within a 9 month period - a record that wouldn't be broken until Adele managed to get four #1 songs within 8 months.

Oh, and lets just ignore that The Hampster Song ever had a huge debut on my chart and almost hit #1.

cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Just adding this so next chart is at top of page 5 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Return to Personal Charts