Benji's Favourite Artists Ever (#043)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:39 pm

Benjamin wrote:
JSparksFan wrote:Kanye West - arguably the greatest rapper of all-time, and probably my all-time favourite hip/hop act
Glad i'm not the only one who thinks that :)
I am positive that Kanye also thinks so. :lol:
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:18 am

Sade is an English band formed around lead singer Sade Adu. The band released their first single 'Your Love Is King' in 1984, followed by their debut album 'Diamond Life'. Their debut became an instant classic, also because it includes one of their most iconic songs: 'Smooth Operator'. The band later scored big hits with songs as 'The Sweetest Taboo' and 'No Ordinary Love'.

'Lovers Rock' is my favourite Sade album. The album was released in 2001 and is pure perfection. It's the band's best work, because it still sounds so current after all those years. 'Lovers Rock' contains some of my favourite Sade tracks including the underrated 'King Of Sorrow' and 'Flow'.

My favourite Sade songs:

01. King Of Sorrow
02. By Your Side
03. Smooth Operator
04. Soldier Of Love
05. The Moon & Sky
06. Sweetest Taboo
07. No Ordinary Love
08. Cherish The Day
09. Lovers Rock
10. Kiss Of Life

11. Flow
12. Immigrant
13. Still In Love With You
14. Your Love Is King
15. Paradise
16. Babyfather
17. Feel No Pain
18. Love Is Stronger Than Pride
19. Love Is Found
20. Every Word
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:44 pm

I first heard of Mary J. Blige when I saw the video for 'As' on MTV. I remember really liking the video of her and George Michael dancing in a bar. Then, a couple of months later, I saw the video for 'All That I Can Say', also on MTV. Really liked that one too. I guess Mary grabbed my attention with those releases, because I started to follow her musical career afterwards. She completely won me over when she released the Wyclef Jean duet '911'. What a great song!

I remember walking in the record store when I saw the cd single of 'Family Affair'. I hadn't heard the song yet, but I was she excited about a new Mary J song, that I immediately bought the single. When I came home, I heard the song for the first time and I was blown away. I'd say that 'Family Affair' is one of the best party songs of the last 20 years. Whenever I hear it, I want to go out and party. Such an anthem.

'Family Affair' was the lead single of what became my favourite Mary J. Blige album. 'No More Drama' is a classic. The title track is immense. The song helped me through rough times and has become very special to me. I can't listen to it without feeling nostalgic. Such a powerful song. I love Mary for releasing it. It's her absolute best.

After 'No More Drama' Mary released many great songs and a couple of really good album. 'The Breakthrough' is the last Mary album I played to death (Her version of 'One' is superior to U2's solo version by the way. Sorry not sorry). Afterwards, I feel like she's been delivering 'okay albums'. But nothing really stands out anymore. That said, the woman has delivered so many classics, she's got nothing left to prove. I'm just happy she keeps on releasing new music.

My favourite Mary J. Blige songs:

01. No More Drama
02. Family Affair
03. Love @ First Sight (+ Method Man)
04. 911 (+ Wyclef Jean)
05. As (+ George Michael)
06. All That I Can Say
07. One (+ U2)
08. Come Close (+ Common)
09. Work That (+ Busta Rhymes)
10. Be Without You

11. Dance With Me (+ Common)
12. Whole Dam Year
13. Not Today (+ Eve)
14. Right Now
15. Give Me You
16. Can't Hide From Luv (+ Jay-Z)
17. Rainy Days (+ Ja Rule)
18. Real Love
19. Enough Cryin'
20. Grown Woman (+ Ludacris)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Mary J. Blige has some terrific classics to her name. I don't think she'll ever top "Be Without You" for me, but "It's Me" on her last album showed me she's still got it. When I did my all-time fave acts countdown a few years ago, Mary J. ranked similarly.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:55 pm

Yasss, so much love for Sade! :cry:

My #1 is your #2!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Benjamin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:49 am

I love Alanis Morissette for her honest lyrics. She's a genius songwriter, more so than a singer - to be honest. She has a good voice, but it's the lyrics and meaning of the songs that made me love her more. She seems raw and pure and she's definitely one who's not afraid to speak her mind. I love that.

I can admit 'Jagged Little Pill' is her best record. It's a true classic. It is not my favourite Alanis record though, as 'Under Rug Swept' is very special to me. 'Hands Clean' is easily the best thing she's ever done. A special song to me as well.

My favourite Alanis Morissette songs:

01. Hands Clean
02. You Oughta Know
03. Thank U
04. Ironic
05. Guardian
06. Utopia
07. Hand In My Pocket
08. Not As We
09. That I Would Be Good
10. Uninvited

11. Precious Illusions
12. Head Over Feet
13. Big Sur
14. Joining You
15. Surrendering
16. Eight Easy Steps
17. 21 Things I Don't Want In A Lover
18. King Of Pain
19. Receive
20. Unsent
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:17 am

Cuban singer Gloria Estefan has been around as long as I can remember. My parents listened to her songs when I was younger, quite a lot. Growing up I discovered her rich discography and started to listen to her music myself. And I till do, quite often. I love Gloria's voice, especially when she sings slower songs like 'Hoy'. My favourite songs are her uptempo songs though. She brings so much fire.

My favourite Gloria Estefan album is 'Gloria!'. That album includes my favourite single of hers: 'Oye!'. The music video for the song is iconic to me, because it reminds me of the late '90s when music videos were so much more fun. In my memory MTV played the video 24/7, but that's probably not true haha. Still, the song, Gloria's look and the scenery of the video are so typical for that era.

My favourite Gloria Estefan songs:

01. Oye!
02. Hoy
03. Conga
04. Cuba Libre
05. Wepa
06. No Me Dejes De Querer
07. Miss Little Havana
08. No Llores
09. Tu Fotografía
10. Corazón Prohibido

11. Dr. Beat
12. Right Away
13. Como Me Duele Pederte
14. Te Amaré
15. Oye Mi Canto
16. Get On Your Feet
17. Mi Tierra
18. Me Voy
19. Reach
20. Music Of My Heart (+ *NYSNC)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:39 am

I can't believe it's almost a year ago that George Michael died. I was really shocked to hear that he passed away at such a young age. On Christmas Day, of all days. I'm happy that George's legacy still lives on with the release of his posthumous album. I think it's important to keep playing his songs. He's made such an impact on the music industry and did so much for the LGBTQ community, that I think we owe him that.

Growing up in the '90s meant there was a lot of George Michael music being played on the radio. I have good memories of my childhood when I hear 'Freedom!'. It's such an iconic song. Also his later work such as 'Fastlove' and 'Freeek!' (which I think is criminally underrated) are still so good. I remember when the music video for 'Freeek!' got it's premiere on TMF and that the video was banned from MTV in other countries for being too explicit. I only understand half of what as going on in the video though.

You were an absolute genius George Michael. You are being missed.
R.I.P.

My favourite George Michael songs:

01. Freedom '90
02. Freeek!
03. Fastlove
04. Careless Whisper
05. Faith
06. As (+ Mary J. Blige)
07. Outside
08. Amazing
09. If I Told You That (+ Whitney Houston)
10. Flawless (Go To The City)

11. Fantasy
12. Jesus To A Child
13. I Want Your Sex
14. Star People
15. Father Figure
16. Too Funky
17. Spinning The Wheel
18. White Light
19. One More Try
20. Roxanne
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Wayne » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:10 am

I like a lot of Alanis’ songs - but I do struggle to listen to whole albums at a time.

I like Gloria’s greatest hits, but beyond that - not massively familiar with her music.

I love George - he is probably the most gifted British artist of all-time, a wonderful ability to write amazing music and sing better than any other male singer. One of my all-time favourites! <3
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Benjamin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Wayne wrote:I love George - he is probably the most gifted British artist of all-time, a wonderful ability to write amazing music and sing better than any other male singer. One of my all-time favourites! <3
He definitely was something special. His discography is amazing.
Thanks for commenting Wayne <3
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:32 am

I have to admit that I didn't know much about George Michael or his music before his death, but subsequent to his passing, I've been through all his albums and found some genuine gems among them. He was a terrific artist, and will live on for at least a few more generations through his music.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:50 am

I'm a big John Mayer fan. His voice is definitely one of my favourites out there. It's so soft and soulful and super sexy. I would totally melt if I'd ever see him performing live. He's one of the artists that I haven't seen perform and who's still on my wish list.

My favourite John Mayer album is hard to pick. It's between 'Heavier Things', 'Continuum' and 'Battle Studies'. It's the holy John Mayer trinity. There's just not a single weak song on those records. They are the perfect soundtrack for a lazy weekend at home.

There's really nothing more to say about John Mayer. I like his music very much. He's a great singer and he's super cute. I hope he continues to release good music.

My favourite John Mayer songs:

01. Daughters
02. Clarity
03. Heartbreak Warfare
04. Your Body Is A Wonderland
05. Assassin
06. Dreaming With A Broken Heart
07. Love On The Weekend
08. XO
09. Waiting On The World To Change
10. In The Blood

11. Belief