Benji's Favourite Artists Ever (#018)

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:24 pm

I was introduced to Sia through "Titanium," which is a firm all-time favourite of mine (among my Top 10 favourite songs ever). As a vocalist, I think she's criminally underrated; she has to be among the Top 5 greatest singers of this generation. As a songwriter, she's also among my all-time favourites; she has such a knack for writing insanely catchy hooks.

I checked out the "Breathe Me" remix, and it was okay. I'll give it a few more spins.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:33 am

Love Alanis, she has so many good songs. definitely in my all-time list too! What do you think of the amazing "Tapes"? Probably still my favourite song of hers, actually the Flavours album still sounds really good.

I like a few others too, Natalie's "Want" is one of her best for sure, RHCP have lots of good tracks too.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:50 am

Regarding Sia, is Big Girls Cry an answer song to Fergie? :lol:

Very surprised to see "Bailamos" as your #1 Enrique song :o I have found memories of it since I performed that song with a cousin of mine for a crowd of 2k. I was so nervous because I was like 8 at the time and I'm a really shy person and the bish was about to give up the moment we were behind curtains being introduced so I basically dragged her to the stage to execute the choreography with me :lol:
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:41 am

Aww 'Tapes' is a great track indeed. :D

@BlueScorpion Sia's song is fantastic :) I like it better than Fergie's haha.
Yaaaaas at you performing 'Bailamos'. Slay! :P Such a great track! Classic.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:57 am

Britney Spears really is the Princess of Pop. Ever since the release of her debut album '.. Baby On More Time' she has been releasing hit after hit. I've been a Britney fan since the beginning (I was totally hooked on '.. Baby One More Time') - but never became a huge Britney stan. Probably because I've always been more #TeamChristina haha.

My favourite Britney album is 'In The Zone'. That album is pure perfection in my opinion. She released the worst songs as singles though (No, I'm the only gay boy who doesn't like 'Toxic' that much.. haha). 'Breathe On Me' should have been a single. Oh well.

I love Britney and I hope she will continue to deliver bops in the future. I didn't like the 'Britney Jean' album - except for the fantastic 'Work Bitch' single - but I really enjoyed 'Glory'. Hopefully she will release another album like the latter soon.

My favourite Britney Spears songs:

01. I'm A Slave 4 U
02. ... Baby One More Time
03. Breathe On Me
04. Gimme More
05. Oops! I Did It Again
06. Unusual You
07. Boys (+ Pharrell)
08. Work Bitch
09. Till The World Ends
10. (You Drive Me) Crazy

11. Stronger
12. Born To Make You Happy
13. Overprotected
14. Outrageous (+ R. Kelly)
15. (I Got That) Boom Boom
16. Early Mornin'
17. Me Against The Music (+ Madonna)
18. Toy Soldier
19. Touch Of My Hand
20. Hold It Against Me
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 am

When Lady Gaga first came out with her debut single 'Just Dance' I was in shook. Blown away by the song, her image, performances and everything. She was the next best pop star on the block, but she took it to the next level. Pop culture 2.0 - and I was loving every moment of it. Her debut album 'The Fame' instantly became one of my favourite records of all-time. It really reflects such an important period in my life. The songs, the lyrics, for me are all very coming of age. I was about 22 years old, finding my ways in the world. This album became the soundtrack of that time.

Now, almost 10 years later I still love 'The Fame'a album to death, but I'm not that huge Gaga stan anymore. She kind of lost me with the release of 'Born This Way', although that album aged pretty well. In retrospective the music really wasn't that bad. The pretentious image turned me off. I guess. 'Born This Way' includes some of her finest moments.

I think 'ARTPOP' and 'Joanne' were two nice records. I'd say 'ARTPOP' includes some really catchy tunes, but is her weakest album so far. I'm happy she did a record like 'Joanne', because it's more mature. I'd love her to release another pure pop album next though, not here for 'Joanne pt. II'. I need her to lure me back to stan modus again. I know you can do it Gaga.

My favourite Lady Gaga songs:

01. Americano
02. Just Dance
03. Alejandro
04. Poker Face
05. So Happy I Could Die
06. Judas
07. Bad Romance
08. I Like It Rough
09. Gypsy
10. Paparazzi

11. Heavy Metal Lover
12. The Fame
13. The Edge Of Glory
14. Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
15. Marry The Night
16. Perfect Illusion
17. Telephone (+ Beyoncé)
18. Summerboy
19. Venus
20. Dancing In The Dark
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:13 am

I wasn't prepared for Britney and Gaga back to back. :lol:

You don't like "Toxic," and "I'm a Slave 4 U" is your favourite Britney song? Safe to say, we have different tastes when it comes to Britney. :lol: Anyway, she's a pop legend, someone who has a voice tailor-made for the sexy pop uptempo numbers that have solidified her status as one of the greatest ever, and "Slumber Party" proved that she's still got that special spark after all these years. I'm slightly disappointed she didn't at least make your Top 20.

Your favourite Gaga song is "Americano"? That's such a left-of-field pick! Many believe that Gaga peaked too early (2008-2009) but when I hear songs like "Born This Way," "Do What U Want," and "Million Reasons," I have to say her greatness never really paused at any point. Her popularity may have wavered, but Gaga brings a wackiness and edge to pop that wasn't in the mainstream before her arrival. If David Bowie and Madonna had a daughter, Gaga would be that daughter...and a case could be made that, at her best, she's better than both her 'parents'.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:14 am

Two Pop Princesses. Love that "Toy Soldier" was mentioned. Such a bop.
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:48 am

JSparksFan wrote:I wasn't prepared for Britney and Gaga back to back. :lol:

You don't like "Toxic," and "I'm a Slave 4 U" is your favourite Britney song? Safe to say, we have different tastes when it comes to Britney. :lol: Anyway, she's a pop legend, someone who has a voice tailor-made for the sexy pop uptempo numbers that have solidified her status as one of the greatest ever, and "Slumber Party" proved that she's still got that special spark after all these years. I'm slightly disappointed she didn't at least make your Top 20.

Your favourite Gaga song is "Americano"? That's such a left-of-field pick! Many believe that Gaga peaked too early (2008-2009) but when I hear songs like "Born This Way," "Do What U Want," and "Million Reasons," I have to say her greatness never really paused at any point. Her popularity may have wavered, but Gaga brings a wackiness and edge to pop that wasn't in the mainstream before her arrival. If David Bowie and Madonna had a daughter, Gaga would be that daughter...and a case could be made that, at her best, she's better than both her 'parents'.
Back to back like BAM: pop music in your FACE. haha :lol:

I agree with you on Britney, she's a pop legend and indeed, she's still got it. 'Slumber Party' just missed my top 20. It's a great track that deserved much more.

'Americano' is so catchy! She really should've released it as a single. I think it's her most fun track. She definitely would've been Bowie + Madonna's lovechild haha. But at this point ('Joanne') she's more like Dolly Parton's younger cousin haha.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 am

When I first heard 'Pon De Replay' I absolutely loved it, but I expected Rihanna to be the 2005 equivalent of Lumidee and Nina Sky: a one-hit wonder with a hot summer single. How wrong was I? Over the years Rihanna has become one of the biggest pop stars of the moment and she continues to slay with every release. I love how the label invested in her from the very beginning, by releasing a new album almost every year. Their strategy worked out so well.

I see Rihanna as the Madonna of her generation, because she's constantly reinventing herself. She's out there, unapologetic and delivers hit after hit. My favourite Riri album still is 'Good Girl Gone Bad', as it includes so many of her hits - and some great album tracks as well.

What I love about Rihanna is that she's so versatile. She can easily deliver urban bops, pop tracks and dance tunes. The dance orientated songs she did ('We Found Love', 'Only Girl') are among my Rihanna faves. I hope she will deliver another one with the new era. As much as I liked the more urban sounds of 'ANTI' (it had to grow on me though), I'm ready for pop/dance Rihanna to return in 2018.

My favourite Rihanna songs:

01. We Found Love
02. Don't Stop The Music
03. Only Girl (In The World)
04. Hard
05. Good Girl Gone Bad
06. Man Down
07. Umbrella
08. Diamonds
09. Pon De Replay
10. Work

11. Te Amo
12. Firebomb
13. Cheers (Drink To That)
14. Breakin' Dishes
15. Rude Boy
16. Rehab
17. Birthday Cake
18. Bitch Better Have My Money
19. Disturbia
20. Where Have You Been
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:49 pm

And now Rihanna, too! Who do you have in your Top 20? :lol:

There simply hasn't been a more consistent hitmaker since 2005. The fact that she can back up commercial success with legitimately high quality music is just terrific. She's perhaps the most played female artist in my neck of the woods, so I'm grateful that such an omnipresent figure is someone I happen to love very much.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:11 pm

JSparksFan wrote:And now Rihanna, too! Who do you have in your Top 20? :lol:
S Club 7, B*Witched and Liberty X :lol: :lol:
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:30 am

Benjamin wrote:
JSparksFan wrote:And now Rihanna, too! Who do you have in your Top 20? :lol:
S Club 7, B*Witched and Liberty X :lol: :lol:
Oh. :lol:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:15 am

Hahahaha :lol:
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby BlueScorpion » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:32 am

"Don't Stop The Music" is one of the best dance singles released in the last decade.
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:52 pm

Not everybody on this board know this, but I'm quite the Lenny Kravitz fan. I love Lenny's voice and style. His music is rock combined with soul, which works perfectly for him. He's been around as long as I can remember and has such an impressive career.

My favourite Lenny Kravitz album is '5'. The album came out in 1998 and the entire era was huge. Lenny was everywhere and I feel like the music videos for 'Fly Away' and 'American Woman' were on MTV all the time. There's no single filler track on the record. I also really enjoy Kravitz's 'Lenny' and 'Baptism' albums.

Lenny Kravitz is still going strong and he's set to release his 11th studio album 'Raise Vibration' later this year. I can't wait, I hope there will be some rock songs like 'Black Velveteen' and 'Fly Away', but also some soulful tracks like 'Storm' and 'Believe In Me'.

My favourite Lenny Kravitz songs:

01. Fly Away
02. Black Velveteen
03. Believe In Me
04. American Woman
05. Stillness Of Heart
06. Storm
07. Let Love Rule
08. The Chamber
09. If I Could Fall In Love
10. I Belong To You

11. Show Me Your Soul (+ P Diddy & Loon)
12. Again
13. California
14. Are You Gonna Go My Way?
15. Thinking Of You
16. Calling All Angels
17. Dig In
18. If You Can't Say No
19. Lady
20. Always On The Run
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:32 am

I'm not super familiar with Lenny Kravitz's work, but I do know and adore "The Chamber" and "Can't Get You Off My Mind". I'll check out some of your favourites from him.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:06 am

It's hard to believe LeAnn Rimes is only 35 years old. She's been around for as long as I can remember and has released 11 studio albums, 2 holiday albums and several greatest hits/best of compilations albums. Insane.

LeAnn started out in 1996 when she was only 13 years old. Her debut album 'Blue' was a huge success: the record is close to going 6x platinum in the US alone. I first heard of LeAnn Rimes when she released her 'How Do I Live' single in 1997. That song became one of the biggest hits in the US ever, spending a fantastic 62 weeks in the Billboard Hot 100. The slayage!

I think LeAnn is most known for her classic 'Can't Fight The Moonlight' hit, for the Coyote Ugly soundtrack. That song is still my favourite of hers. It's pop music at its best. Afterwards LeAnn released a couple of good pop records, including the underrated 'Twisted Angel'.

I think my fave LeAnn album is 'Family'. Country-pop at its very best. The album's really underrated and I think we can say the same about LeAnn Rimes in general. She has a great voice, makes good music and has had an incredible career so far. She deserves so much more.

My favourite LeAnn Rimes songs:

01. Can't Fight The Moonlight
02. Life Goes
03. How Do I Live
04. Nothin' Better To Do
05. I Need You
06. Suddenly
07. Probably Wouldn't Be This Way
08. Tic Toc
09. Upper Hand
10. What I Cannot Change

11. Love Line
12. Family
13. Something's Gotta Give
14. Long Live Love
15. And It Feels Like
16. What Have I Done
17. But I Do Love You
18. We Can
19. Soon
20. Fight
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:04 pm

I listened to your Top 5 Lenny Kravitz songs, and enjoyed them all. "Believe in Me" was my favourite.

"How Do I Live" was my introduction to LeAnn Rimes as well. I came across "Can't Fight the Moonlight" somewhere on UKMix. I'll check out some of your other favourites from her. I think she has a beautiful voice.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:01 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I listened to your Top 5 Lenny Kravitz songs, and enjoyed them all. "Believe in Me" was my favourite.

"How Do I Live" was my introduction to LeAnn Rimes as well. I came across "Can't Fight the Moonlight" somewhere on UKMix. I'll check out some of your other favourites from her. I think she has a beautiful voice.
Ooh yay! Glad you enjoyed them. 'Believe In Me' is a gem <3

I agree, LeAnn has a beautiful voice. :)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:02 am

In my early teen years I was a huuuuuuge Shania fan. When I first heard 'You're Still The One' and 'From This Moment On' I liked her, but my stan level went to the roof when she released 'That Don't Impress Me Much' and 'Man! I Feel Like A Woman'. She was such a huge force in pop music back then. In my memory she used to be everywhere. The success of 'Come On Over' spare day interested in Shania's older records too. I really like the 'Woman In Me' album.

'Come On Over' is definitely my favourite Shania record. That album was so huge, it's unbelievable. A true classic. The fact that she released so many singles from it makes me even like it more. They really went all out with the record, I love that.
I remember me and my friend phoning the local radio stations daily to request any Shania song. Good memories.

After the incredible success of the 'Come On Over' era, Shania released 'Up!', another great record. I remember finally hearing 'I'm Gonna Getcha Good' for the first time. I loved it. We had been waiting for new Shania music for so long and it was finally there. The entire album is filled with gems, but overall it's not as iconic as 'Come On Over'.

It's a real shame it took Shania 15 years to release a follow-up album. Her legacy will always remain, but I feel like she could have been even bigger now if she didn't take that long of a break.

My favourite Shania Twain songs:

01. That Don't Impress Me Much
02. Man! I Feel Like A Woman
03. You're Still The One
04. When
05. I'm Gonna Getcha (Good)
06. Up!
07. Forever And For Always
08. From This Moment On
09. Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You)
10. What A Way To Wanna Be!

11. She's Not Just A Pretty Face
12. Ka-Ching!
13. When You Kiss Me
14. Rock This Country!
15. It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing
16. The Woman In Me (Needs The Man In You)
17. Nah!
18. Juanita
19. Love Gets Me Everytime
20. Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Wayne » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Was singing LeAnn yesterday just randomly. :lol:

Love Shania, though Now wasn't the return to form I was hoping for.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby RayRay » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:59 pm

Wauw! Hoop werk heb je erin gestopt!
Leuk om te zien.
Dit is eigenlijk het enige deel van UKMIX waar ik nooit kom.
Maar nu ik last.fm gebruik, wilde ik er meer mee gaan doen en mijn favorieten een keer vastleggen.

Ik ga nu jouw lijstje volgen en binnenkort zal je mijn lijst kunnen zien.

Groetjes!
RayRay
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:20 pm

I love Shania! When I did my favourite artists of all-time countdown five years ago, she was #17.

Whilst I agree that Come on Over is her best album, "Up!" has to be her best song to date. I don't know if I've ever heard a song teeming with more positivity than that one.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Dankjewel RayRay <3 !
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Return to Personal Charts