Benji's Favourite Artists Ever (#038)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:39 pm

Benjamin wrote:
JSparksFan wrote:Kanye West - arguably the greatest rapper of all-time, and probably my all-time favourite hip/hop act
Glad i'm not the only one who thinks that :)
I am positive that Kanye also thinks so. :lol:
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:18 am

Sade is an English band formed around lead singer Sade Adu. The band released their first single 'Your Love Is King' in 1984, followed by their debut album 'Diamond Life'. Their debut became an instant classic, also because it includes one of their most iconic songs: 'Smooth Operator'. The band later scored big hits with songs as 'The Sweetest Taboo' and 'No Ordinary Love'.

'Lovers Rock' is my favourite Sade album. The album was released in 2001 and is pure perfection. It's the band's best work, because it still sounds so current after all those years. 'Lovers Rock' contains some of my favourite Sade tracks including the underrated 'King Of Sorrow' and 'Flow'.

My favourite Sade songs:

01. King Of Sorrow
02. By Your Side
03. Smooth Operator
04. Soldier Of Love
05. The Moon & Sky
06. Sweetest Taboo
07. No Ordinary Love
08. Cherish The Day
09. Lovers Rock
10. Kiss Of Life

11. Flow
12. Immigrant
13. Still In Love With You
14. Your Love Is King
15. Paradise
16. Babyfather
17. Feel No Pain
18. Love Is Stronger Than Pride
19. Love Is Found
20. Every Word
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:44 pm

I first heard of Mary J. Blige when I saw the video for 'As' on MTV. I remember really liking the video of her and George Michael dancing in a bar. Then, a couple of months later, I saw the video for 'All That I Can Say', also on MTV. Really liked that one too. I guess Mary grabbed my attention with those releases, because I started to follow her musical career afterwards. She completely won me over when she released the Wyclef Jean duet '911'. What a great song!

I remember walking in the record store when I saw the cd single of 'Family Affair'. I hadn't heard the song yet, but I was she excited about a new Mary J song, that I immediately bought the single. When I came home, I heard the song for the first time and I was blown away. I'd say that 'Family Affair' is one of the best party songs of the last 20 years. Whenever I hear it, I want to go out and party. Such an anthem.

'Family Affair' was the lead single of what became my favourite Mary J. Blige album. 'No More Drama' is a classic. The title track is immense. The song helped me through rough times and has become very special to me. I can't listen to it without feeling nostalgic. Such a powerful song. I love Mary for releasing it. It's her absolute best.

After 'No More Drama' Mary released many great songs and a couple of really good album. 'The Breakthrough' is the last Mary album I played to death (Her version of 'One' is superior to U2's solo version by the way. Sorry not sorry). Afterwards, I feel like she's been delivering 'okay albums'. But nothing really stands out anymore. That said, the woman has delivered so many classics, she's got nothing left to prove. I'm just happy she keeps on releasing new music.

My favourite Mary J. Blige songs:

01. No More Drama
02. Family Affair
03. Love @ First Sight (+ Method Man)
04. 911 (+ Wyclef Jean)
05. As (+ George Michael)
06. All That I Can Say
07. One (+ U2)
08. Come Close (+ Common)
09. Work That (+ Busta Rhymes)
10. Be Without You

11. Dance With Me (+ Common)
12. Whole Dam Year
13. Not Today (+ Eve)
14. Right Now
15. Give Me You
16. Can't Hide From Luv (+ Jay-Z)
17. Rainy Days (+ Ja Rule)
18. Real Love
19. Enough Cryin'
20. Grown Woman (+ Ludacris)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Mary J. Blige has some terrific classics to her name. I don't think she'll ever top "Be Without You" for me, but "It's Me" on her last album showed me she's still got it. When I did my all-time fave acts countdown a few years ago, Mary J. ranked similarly.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:55 pm

Yasss, so much love for Sade! :cry:

My #1 is your #2!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Benjamin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:49 am

I love Alanis Morissette for her honest lyrics. She's a genius songwriter, more so than a singer - to be honest. She has a good voice, but it's the lyrics and meaning of the songs that made me love her more. She seems raw and pure and she's definitely one who's not afraid to speak her mind. I love that.

I can admit 'Jagged Little Pill' is her best record. It's a true classic. It is not my favourite Alanis record though, as 'Under Rug Swept' is very special to me. 'Hands Clean' is easily the best thing she's ever done. A special song to me as well.

My favourite Alanis Morissette songs:

01. Hands Clean
02. You Oughta Know
03. Thank U
04. Ironic
05. Guardian
06. Utopia
07. Hand In My Pocket
08. Not As We
09. That I Would Be Good
10. Uninvited

11. Precious Illusions
12. Head Over Feet
13. Big Sur
14. Joining You
15. Surrendering
16. Eight Easy Steps
17. 21 Things I Don't Want In A Lover
18. King Of Pain
19. Receive
20. Unsent
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:17 am

Cuban singer Gloria Estefan has been around as long as I can remember. My parents listened to her songs when I was younger, quite a lot. Growing up I discovered her rich discography and started to listen to her music myself. And I till do, quite often. I love Gloria's voice, especially when she sings slower songs like 'Hoy'. My favourite songs are her uptempo songs though. She brings so much fire.

My favourite Gloria Estefan album is 'Gloria!'. That album includes my favourite single of hers: 'Oye!'. The music video for the song is iconic to me, because it reminds me of the late '90s when music videos were so much more fun. In my memory MTV played the video 24/7, but that's probably not true haha. Still, the song, Gloria's look and the scenery of the video are so typical for that era.

My favourite Gloria Estefan songs:

01. Oye!
02. Hoy
03. Conga
04. Cuba Libre
05. Wepa
06. No Me Dejes De Querer
07. Miss Little Havana
08. No Llores
09. Tu Fotografía
10. Corazón Prohibido

11. Dr. Beat
12. Right Away
13. Como Me Duele Pederte
14. Te Amaré
15. Oye Mi Canto
16. Get On Your Feet
17. Mi Tierra
18. Me Voy
19. Reach
20. Music Of My Heart (+ *NYSNC)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:39 am

I can't believe it's almost a year ago that George Michael died. I was really shocked to hear that he passed away at such a young age. On Christmas Day, of all days. I'm happy that George's legacy still lives on with the release of his posthumous album. I think it's important to keep playing his songs. He's made such an impact on the music industry and did so much for the LGBTQ community, that I think we owe him that.

Growing up in the '90s meant there was a lot of George Michael music being played on the radio. I have good memories of my childhood when I hear 'Freedom!'. It's such an iconic song. Also his later work such as 'Fastlove' and 'Freeek!' (which I think is criminally underrated) are still so good. I remember when the music video for 'Freeek!' got it's premiere on TMF and that the video was banned from MTV in other countries for being too explicit. I only understand half of what as going on in the video though.

You were an absolute genius George Michael. You are being missed.
R.I.P.

My favourite George Michael songs:

01. Freedom '90
02. Freeek!
03. Fastlove
04. Careless Whisper
05. Faith
06. As (+ Mary J. Blige)
07. Outside
08. Amazing
09. If I Told You That (+ Whitney Houston)
10. Flawless (Go To The City)

11. Fantasy
12. Jesus To A Child
13. I Want Your Sex
14. Star People
15. Father Figure
16. Too Funky
17. Spinning The Wheel
18. White Light
19. One More Try
20. Roxanne
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Wayne » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:10 am

I like a lot of Alanis’ songs - but I do struggle to listen to whole albums at a time.

I like Gloria’s greatest hits, but beyond that - not massively familiar with her music.

I love George - he is probably the most gifted British artist of all-time, a wonderful ability to write amazing music and sing better than any other male singer. One of my all-time favourites! <3
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Benjamin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Wayne wrote:I love George - he is probably the most gifted British artist of all-time, a wonderful ability to write amazing music and sing better than any other male singer. One of my all-time favourites! <3
He definitely was something special. His discography is amazing.
Thanks for commenting Wayne <3
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:32 am

I have to admit that I didn't know much about George Michael or his music before his death, but subsequent to his passing, I've been through all his albums and found some genuine gems among them. He was a terrific artist, and will live on for at least a few more generations through his music.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:50 am

I'm a big John Mayer fan. His voice is definitely one of my favourites out there. It's so soft and soulful and super sexy. I would totally melt if I'd ever see him performing live. He's one of the artists that I haven't seen perform and who's still on my wish list.

My favourite John Mayer album is hard to pick. It's between 'Heavier Things', 'Continuum' and 'Battle Studies'. It's the holy John Mayer trinity. There's just not a single weak song on those records. They are the perfect soundtrack for a lazy weekend at home.

There's really nothing more to say about John Mayer. I like his music very much. He's a great singer and he's super cute. I hope he continues to release good music.

My favourite John Mayer songs:

01. Daughters
02. Clarity
03. Heartbreak Warfare
04. Your Body Is A Wonderland
05. Assassin
06. Dreaming With A Broken Heart
07. Love On The Weekend
08. XO
09. Waiting On The World To Change
10. In The Blood

11. Belief
12. Edge Of Desire
13. Shadow Days
14. Queen Of California
15. Vultures
16. Paper Doll
17. Who You Love (+ Katy Perry)
18. Who Says
19. Half Of My Heart (+ Taylor Swift)
20. Perfectly Lonely
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Missy Elliott is a true icon and a pioneer in the world of hip-hop. The release of her Timbaland produced 'Supa Dupa Fly' debut album made a huge impact. The singles from the album, including 'The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)' and 'Hit 'Em With A Hee' instantly became classics. Her creative music videos always stand out, still today. The videos for 'She's A Bitch', 'Get Ur Freak On' and 'Work It' are among her best.

My favourite Missy Elliott album is 'Miss E.. So Addictive'. That record made me fall in love with Missy, especially because of 'Get Ur Freak On' (which is one of the all-time best party songs), 'Lick Shots' and 'One Minute Man'. 'Miss E' was one of the first records by a female rapper I bought, together with Eve's 'Scorpion' and Lil' Kim's 'The Notorious K.I.M.'

Besides releasing fantastic singles, Missy also shines on songs she features on. It's always nice to hear a new Missy verse, as she keeps it fresh. That's why I hope she will release another album one day. The singles she released over the past few years (being 'WTF (Where They From', 'Pep Rally' and 'I'm Better') maybe weren't among her best material, but are still very good tracks.

I would love for Missy to return with a new record to slay. I never understood why she never followed-up her 2005 'The Cookbook' album to be honest. Especially at times when female rap is doing quite good (Nicki, Cardi, Remy Ma) she should comeback to show everyone she's the original and that she's still got it.

My favourite Missy Elliott songs:

01. 4 My People (+ Eve)
02. Get Ur Freak On
03. All N My Grill (+ Nicol Gray & MC Solaar)
04. Work It
05. Pass That Dutch
06. Lick Shots
07. One Minute Man (+ Ludacris & Trina)
08. She's A Bitch
09. Can U Hear Me? (+ TLC)
10. Hot Boyz (+ Lil' Mo + Eve, Nas & Q-Tip)

11. Hit 'Em With A Hee (+ Lil' Kim)
12. Lose Control (+ Ciara & Fatman Scoop)
13. Take Away (+ Ginnuwine & Tweet)
14. Watch Gonna Do? (+ Timbaland)
15. The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)
16. On & On (+ Pharrell)
17. Gossip Folks (+ Ludacris)
18. Beep Me 911 (+ 702 & Magoo)
19. My Struggles (+ Mary J. Blige)
20. Stickin' Chickens (+ Lil' Kim)

My favourite Missy Elliott features:

01. Make It Hot (+ Nicole Wray)
02. I Want You Back (+ Melanie B)
03. Oops (Oh My) (+ Tweet)
04. Heartbreaker Remix (+ Mariah Carey & Da Brat)
05. Son Of A Gun (+ Janet Jackson)
06. Ugly (+ Blaque)
07. 1, 2 Step (+ Ciara)
08. Work (+ Ciara)
09. Bounce (+ Timbaland + Justin Timberlake & Dr. Dre)
10. (When Kim Say) Can You Hear Me Now? (+ Lil' Kim)

11. What's That Sound (+ Angie Martinez)
12. BURNITUP! (+ Janet Jackson)
13. Cop That Shit (+ Timbaland & Magoo)
14. Let It Go (+ Keyshia Cole & Lil' Kim)
15. In My Business (+ Whitney Houston)
16. Car Wash (+ Christina Aguilera)
17. Not Tonight (+ Lil' Kim, Left Eye & Angie Martinez
18. Bootylicious Remix (+ Destiny's Child)
19. The 1 (+ Janet Jackson)
20. Wanna Be (+ Tamia)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:04 pm

I wasn't a big fan of U2 before. It wasn't until they released 'Beautiful Day' in 2000 (I was 13 back then) when they first caught my attention. I loved the song, but couldn't really care about their discography. That's something that has changed over the years. Mainly because of the release of my favourite U2 song 'Electrical Storm' in 2002.

I can now really appreciate their music, both old and new material. My favourite U2 album is hard to pick, but I think I still like 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' the best. It's what they made me like them in the first place. I respect them for still making quality music after all these years. They always stick to their own sound and I don't think Bono and co. ever really sold out by releasing something to quickly cash in.

I'm excited for the new U2 album 'Songs Of Experience' too. The first singles 'You Are The Best Thing About Me' and 'Get Out Of Your Own Way' are nice. The album's promo single 'The Blackout' is the best thing from this project so far. I hope there's another more mellow song like 'Electrical Storm' on it too. That song is everything.

My favourite U2 songs:

01. Electrical Storm
02. Beautiful Day
03. Magnificent
04. Staring At The Sun
05. One (+ Mary J. Blige)
06. With Or Without You
07. I Still Haven't Found What I Was Looking For
08. The Sweetest Thing
09. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. Elevation

11. City Of Blinding Lights
12. Ordinary Love
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. Every Breaking Wave
15. Last Night On Earth
16. Vertigo
17. Where The Streets Have No Name
18. Discothequé
19. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
20. Get On Your Boots
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Michelle Branch is mostly known for her smash debut single 'Everywhere' and her debut album 'The Spirit Room'. Her career took off with high speed, but somehow managed too crash down as quickly after the disappointed sales and lack of commercial success of her sophomore album 'Hotel Paper'. Instead of releasing a third album, Michelle collaborated with her longtime friend Jessica Harp and formed the country-pop duo The Wreckers. The duo released one phenomenal record titled 'Stand Still, Look Pretty', but the disappearance of solo Michelle didn't do her career any favour.

After The Wreckers split up, Michelle tried to re-launch her solo career with a new project 'West Coast Time'. The record got shelved and an EP 'Everything Comes And Goes' was released instead. It wasn't until 2017 when Michelle finally got to release her third solo album 'Hopeless Romantic'. The album wasn't a commercial success, but is one of the best records released this year. In my opinion.

I've been a huge Michelle Branch fan since the release of 'The Spirit Room'. The song 'All You Wanted' is very special to me. It's lyrics say more than a thousand words really. The album she did as The Wreckers, is one of my all-time favourites. I've played it over and over again. The title track is fantastic.

I think it's sad that talented artists like Michelle Branch can't seem to win. I was supposed to see her perform live in Amsterdam for the very first time. I was so excited, but because of issues between her and the label, the international tour was cancelled. I have no clue where her career wil go to after this. I hope she will somehow find an opportunity to release another album again. I really don't want to wait another 10+ years. She deserves so much more credit.

My favourite Michelle Branch songs:

01. All You Wanted
02. Everywhere
03. Loud Music
04. Stand Still, Look Pretty (as The Wreckers)
05. Are You Happy Now?
06. Goodbye To You
07. Hotel Paper
08. Way Back Home (as The Wreckers)
09. Hopeless Romantic
10. The Game Of Love (+ Santana)

11. Till I Get Over You
12. Breathe
13. Tuesday Morning
14. This Way
15. City
16. Leave The Pieces (as The Wreckers)
17. Find Your Way Back To Me
18. I'm Feeling You (as The Wreckers + Santana)
19. You Get Me
20. Fault Line
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Coldplay is arguably the biggest band out there right now. Ever since the release of their debut 'Parachutes' the British band around Chris Martin has dominating the charts. I became a Coldplay fan with the release of the 'Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends' album. From that era on I started stanning them and I also grew to like their old material. The only album from them I don't like is 'X&Y'. I simply can't get into it.

Coldplay is on top of the list of bands and artists I'd love to see perform. Somehow I never got the chance to see them, which is a real shame. I'd love to experience songs like 'A Sky Full Of Stars', 'Adventure Of A Lifetime' and 'Hymn For The Weekend' live. I hope I will get the chance one day.

I'm glad Coldplay changed their style a little bit over the years. Personally I like the sound they're going with now: it's more pop and fun but still very Coldplay. I love how they worked together with Beyoncé, Rihanna and Tove Lo on their songs. I hope they will release new music soon. I'd love a new album next year.

My favourite Coldplay songs:

01. Viva La Vida!
02. A Sky Full Of Stars
03. Hymn For The Weekend
04. Clocks
05. Adventure Of A Lifetime
06. Everglow
07. Trouble
08. Atlas
09. Paradise
10. Lost!

11. Violet Hill
12. Princess Of China (+ Rihanna)
13. Ink
14. Up&Up
15. Yellow
16. Magic
17. Midnight
18. Up In Flames
19. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall
20. Fix You

Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:16 pm

Even though i absolutely loved the Spice Girls, I always more of an All Saints fan. Natalie and Nicole Appleton, Shaznay Lewis and Melanie Blatt formed the best girl group the UK had to offer. With the release of their self-titled debut album All Saints put themselves on the map as the most mature group out of all the girl groups that were having success. Their sound wasn't easy bubblegum pop for teenagers, but more grown up. They created a perfect mix between pop and R&B and their songs actually had good lyrics. I think that's why - even after all these years - their early music (with a few exceptions) still sounds fresh.

Their debut is a classic, but my favourite All Saints album is the follow-up record 'Saints & Sinners'. For the album the girls worked together with one my favourite producers, William Orbit. I think they created some absolute magic together. 'Pure Shores' and 'Black Coffee' are amazing songs and were the perfect singles to release from the album. That said, I will never, ever understand why they' decided to go with 'All Hooked Up' as the third single. Especially over songs like 'Dreams', 'Surrender' or 'Distance'. A shame, because I feel the era could've been much bigger if the third single wouldn't have flopped.

After the 'Saints & Sinners' the band split up and sisters Natalie and Nicole released another album under the name Appleton. The album wasn't nearly as successful as any All Saints record, but I still love the album to death. I wish Appleton would've been bigger. I think the album is worth out checking, if you haven't heard it before. Songs like 'Don't Worry' and 'Everything Eventually' are amazing.

In 2006 All Saints reformed and released the, somewhat mediocre, album 'Studio 1'. The lead single 'Rock Steady' was a killer track, but again they made the mistake of releasing the wrong single. 'Chick Fit' wasn't it. In Ten years later the band released their fourth studio album 'Red Flag' which is much better than 'Studio 1'. 'One Strike' is the single they should've released in 2006 as their big comeback single. Rumor has it All Saints will release a fifth album in 2018. I can't wait.

My favourite All Saints songs:

01. Pure Shores
02. Bootie Call
03. Never Ever
04. Under The Bridge
05. Dreams
06. Black Coffee
07. One Strike
08. Everything Eventually (as Appleton)
09. Rock Steady
10. War Of Nerves

11. Summer Rain