Benji's Favourite Artists Ever (#018)

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Wayne » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:17 pm

U2 - one of my ALL-TIME favourite bands, so much love for them (even if their recent stuff has been ever so slightly lackluster).

John Mayer - like some of his music thanks to Wardo's Album Cup but not massively familiar tbh.

All Saints - LOVE Pure Shores and so many of their hits.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Benjamin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:24 pm

I saw Natalie Imbruglia performing live for the very first time this year. She rocked her show in a very intimate setting. Absolutely one of my highlights of the past year. Funny thing is - when I bought a ticket for the show, my friends laughed so loud. She's only well known for her smash hit 'Torn' and well.. that's about it. I told them the show was great and that Natalie performed 13 different versions of 'Torn', including a Tribal Mix.

Although 'Torn' will always be one of my favourite songs, Natalie has released many more good songs. My favourite album of hers is the amazing, and underrated, 'White Lilies Island'. Such a strong album and way more in your face than 'Left Of The Middle'. 'Beauty On The Fire' is gorgeous. 'Butterflies' and 'Hurricane' are great tracks.

I really loved Natalie's version of Daft Punk's 'Instant Crush' song. The idea of her doing a cover album was nice, but I would have preferred new original material. I hope she will release something in the near future. After seeing her perform, I want more.

My favourite Natalie Imbruglia songs:

01. Torn
02. Beauty On The Fire
03. Big Mistake
04. Wrong Impression
05 . That Day
06. Butterflies
07. Instant Crush
08. Glorious
09. Shiver
10. Hurricane

11. Satellite
12. Want
13. Scars
14. Sunlight
15. Starting Today
16. Smoke
17. Counting Down The Days
18. Come September
19. Wishing I Was There
20. Wild About It

Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby BlueScorpion » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:33 am

I'm glad "Shiver" made your Top 10, it's a personal favorite of mine as well. :)
You ain't gotta break down,
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:59 am

BlueScorpion wrote:I'm glad "Shiver" made your Top 10, it's a personal favorite of mine as well. :)
'Shiver' is really underrated. There's something melodramatic about the song, which I really love. :)
Glad you like it too!
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:40 am

Paulina Rubio could be described as the Mexican Shakira. The sexy singer, known as La Chica Dorada (the golden woman, also the title of her debut album), released her debut single 'Mío' in 1992. Paulina has been on top of her game ever since and has been releasing monster latin hits during the 25 years of her career (so far). Paulina Rubio has released 10 studio albums and 5 EPs. Her latest album 'Brava!' was released in 2011. Ever since she has released some stand alone singles.

My favourite Paulina Rubio album is the fantastic 'Gran City Pop' (2009). The album is very solid and contains some of her best work. That said - I must admit I still have a weak spot for her English debut album 'Border Girl'. Paulina tried to be the new Britney Spears in 2002, by launching the album. The album's lead single 'Don't Say Goodbye' is still a major bop though. I think she deserved more success back then.

What I love about Paulina, besides her infectious music, is that she's so over the top and outgoing. The videos for 'Ni Una Sola Palabra' and 'Also Tienes' prove my point. Also, when she featured in MTV Cribs to show her house, I enjoyed every minute of that episode. She truly is a queen.

My favourite Paulina Rubio songs:

01. Ni Una Sola Palabra
02. Don't Say Goodbye
03. Vive El Verano
04. Y Yo Sigo Aqui (I'll Be Right Here)
05. Causa Y Efecto
06. Algo Tienes
07. Me Gustas Tanto
08. Boys Will be Boys
09. Border Girl
10. Mi Nuevo Vicio (+ Morat)

11. The One You Love (Todo Mi Amor)
12. Sexy Dance
13. Baila Casanova
14. Heat Of The Night
15. La Danza Del Escorpion
16. Cánsate Con Tu Mama
17. Libre
18. Around The World
19. Te Quise Tanto
20. Dame Otro Tequila
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:18 am

When I think of watching music videos on MTV in the '90s, I automatically think of Garbage. In my memory, their videos were on MTV all the time. The band embodies the era of he music video for me. And they have a lot of interesting ones, too. Shirley Manson is a queen and the music she makes with Garbage simply never disappoints. I'm glad they are back in the game after their hiatus and I hope they will continue to make more albums.

My favourite Garbage album is between 'Beautiful Garbage' (2001) and 'Bleed Like Me' (2005). I simply cannot pick one. My favourite Garbage music video however, is from the soundtrack for the James Bond 'The World Is Not Enough' movie. The song with he same title is pure evil - and so is its video. I love Shirley in it, she looks like a bad bitch.

My favourite Garbage songs:

01. Queer
02. The World Is Not Enough
03. Blood For Poppies
04. Sex Is Not The Enemy
05. Bleed Like Me
06. Androgyny
07. Big Bright World
08. Metal Heart
09. Milk
10. Only Happy When It Rains

11. Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!)
12. Why Do You Love Me
13. No Horses
14. It's All Over But The Crying
15. Even Though Our Love Is Doomed
16. I Think I'm Paranoid
17. Shut Your Mouth
18. Right Between The Eyes
19. Stupid Girl
20. Cup Of Coffee
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:58 am

An absolute living legend here. It's hard to imagine Cher started her career 52 years ago, back in 1965 when she released her first single 'All I Really Want To Do', a cover version of the famous Bob Dylan song. Ever since her debut Cher released 25(!) studio albums, 9 compilation albums and 3 soundtrack albums. It's hard to imagine how many songs she has written and recorded in her lifetime.

I was born in 1987, so I missed half of Cher's career already. I'm not familiar with all her old material, but I do know the classics. My favourite Cher album is her major 1999 comeback album 'Believe'. It's one of the best pop and dance albums of that time, in my opinion. She was the first big popstar to experiment with auto-tune/vocoder and it worked out really well on the album's lead single and title track 'Believe'. That song is iconic.

I have nothing but respect for Cher and I truly appreciate her rich discography. She's currently 71 years old and still going strong. That is amazing. She's truly an inspiration and, also important, a true Twitter queen. What a babe.

My favourite Cher songs:

01. Believe
02. Strong Enough
03. The Power
04. Dov'è L'Amore (remix)
05. Bang Bang
06. Song For The Lonely
07. Woman's World
08. Walking In Memphis
09. If I Could Turn Back Time
10. I Walk Alone

11. The Music's No Good Without You
12. Taxi Taxi
13. Take It Like A Man
14. All Or Nothing
15. We All Sleep Alone
16. A Different Kind Of Love Song
17. The Shoop Shoop Song
18. Più Che Puoi (+ Eros Ramazzotti)
19. Love One Another
20. Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:42 am

One of my favourite bands of all-time is formed around the amazing Gwen Stefani. Yes, I very much love Gwen’s solo material (the ‘Love.Angel.Music.Baby’ album is the best thing she’s ever done), but overall I prefer her as the lead singer of No Doubt. I guess that’s because listening to (older) No Doubt tracks remind me of my childhood.

I remember seeing the music video for ‘Don’t Speak’ for the first time. I was on a break of playing video games and switched to MTV when I saw Gwen and co. performing this amazing song in a garage. ‘Don’t Speak’ has become one of my all-time favourite songs, as it’s just timeless. I can listen to it when I’m very sad, or very happy, and it always comforts me, somehow.

My favourite No Doubt album is 2001’s ‘Rock Steady’. For me they perfectly captured different sounds and influences on this record. They stayed true to their ska pop roots, but combined it with pop and hip-hop - and even some rock - and it worked perfectly well. 2012’s ‘Push & Shove’ also was a great comeback album.

I know Gwen is busy playing house with Blake Shelton, but I’d love for No Doubt to make another comeback.

My favourite No Doubt songs:

01. Don’t Speak
02. Simple Kind Of Life
03. Hey Baby (+ Bounty Killer)
04. Making Out
05. Push & Shove
06. Hella Good
07. Just A Girl
08. Underneath It All (+ Lady Saw)
09. Running
10. Ex-Girlfriend

11. Settle Down
12. Gravity
13. Bathwater
14. It’s My Life
15. New
16. One More Summer
17. Looking Hot
18. Platinum Blonde Life
19. Sunday Morning
20. Spiderwebs
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:11 pm

"Torn" is one of my favourite songs of all-time. I remember thinking "Left of the Middle" was a pretty decent track, too.

I remember James was a fairly big Garbage fan. "I Hate Love" is the one song of theirs that stuck with me from what he would have introduced me to.

Ah, Cher! We share a lot of the same Cher favourites, but you're missing "Half-Breed," "Heart of Stone," and "I Found Someone". She's one of my all-time favourites as well. I wish she could live forever because I love her personality, and it's difficult to imagine a world without Cher.

No Doubt are cool, but "Don't Speak" is pretty much better than all of the other songs I've heard from them combined. It's one of my Top 40 songs of all-time.

Benjamin wrote:I'm sure you will love 'Pure Shores','Black Coffee' and 'Never Ever'. :)
I listened to these recommendations, and "Never Ever" was the one that stuck with me. It's really lovely, so much so I can ignore the fact that it's almost six and a half minutes long. "Pure Shores" was okay, "Black Coffee" was forgettable.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Natalie Imbruglia is simply incredible. Counting Down The Days is one of my favourite albums of 2005.

Cher is a legend, as you mentioned - my #1 favourite song is Song For The Lonely. The song means a huge amount to me personally.

I like some of No Doubt and some of Garbage - but not massive fans of either.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Benjamin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:36 pm

When she released her debut single ‘There You Go’ I never expected P!nk to have such an impressive career as she has achieved up till today. Even though I loved the song, I thought she was just another R&B girl, but she she released ‘Get The Partry Started’ I was convinced she could do so much more. That she’s a true pop star. her sophomore album ‘M!ssundaztood’ does feel like her true debut record.

My favourite P!nk album is ‘I’m Not Dead’. There’s not a single song on it, I don’t like. The album’s lead single ‘Stupid Girls’ is kind of tacky though. It’s music video is awesome, it’s funny and outspoken. A classic P!nk video.

I respect P!nk so much and I think it’s amazing that she’s still around, doing so well too. That said, her latest records are not as good as her earlier material. ‘The Truth About Love’ is my least favourite P!nk album by far. ‘Beautiful Trauma’ is nice - but it still has to grow on me more.

My favourite P!nk songs:

01. Get The Party Started
02. Who Knew
03. There You Go
04. God Is A DJ
05. Dear Mr. President
06. Long Way To Happy
07. Most Girls
08. Just Like A Pill
09. Don’t Let Me Get Me
10. Glitter In The Air

11. 18 Wheeler
12. Sober
13. You Make Me Sick
14. I’m Not Dead
15. U + Ur Hand
16. Just Give Me A Reason (+ Nate Ruess)
17. Numb
18. Cuz I Can
19. So What
20. Funhouse
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Ah, P!nk is Top 20 all-time for me. I agree that I'm Not Dead is her best album, but I think The Truth About Love was a strong effort, too! Her most recent LP isn't anything phenomenal, and is some way off from her best work, that I can agree with.

"Who Knew" is my favourite P!nk song, so great to see you rank it highly, too. I like all the songs in your Top 20 list actually.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:50 pm

^ ‘Who Knew’ is gorgeous. It’s a special song to me and I can’t listen to it without feeling a little sad or nostalgic.
The song’s about the perfect love story that never was.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:53 pm

JSparksFan wrote:
Benjamin wrote:I'm sure you will love 'Pure Shores','Black Coffee' and 'Never Ever'. :)
I listened to these recommendations, and "Never Ever" was the one that stuck with me. It's really lovely, so much so I can ignore the fact that it's almost six and a half minutes long. "Pure Shores" was okay, "Black Coffee" was forgettable.
Aww so cool that you did listen to them :) glad you like ‘Never Ever’.
I think I should have recommanded ‘War Of Nerves’ or ‘Dreams’ instad of ‘Black Coffee’ maybe.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby BlueScorpion » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:11 am

Great set of artists in this page.

No Doubt are amazing and I love the fact you found a soft spot for "Bathwater". <3

Thrilled to see "God Is A DJ" so high on your favorites by P!NK. But where is "Stupid Girls", was it overlooked or you simply don't like the track? :P
You ain't gotta break down,
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:49 am

BlueScorpion wrote: But where is "Stupid Girls", was it overlooked or you simply don't like the track? :P
Not much of a fan to be honest. :oops: She has so much better material.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:10 am

To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of Marina's first album 'The Family Jewels', except for a few songs ('Shampaign'!!) I liked, but when she released the 'Radioactive' single I became a fan of hers. That song has become one of my favourites of the '10s, it's simply so addictive. The 'Electra Heart' album is a classic, it's pop music at its best. The era is perfect. The songs, images, videos, looks; everything was on point. It's one hell of an album.

Me and two of my best friends have become big Marina fans and we've seen her performing a couple of times now. She's an amazing performer too. I always think of her as the perfect pop star that never was. I mean, she's queen of internet, tumblr. and indie charts, but not as big as other pop girls - and she deserves to be. I somehow kind of like this status for her though. I want her to make it big, but it feels like she has so much more creative freedom in this position. I love Marina.

My favourite Marina And The Diamonds songs:

01. Radioactive
02. Froot
03. Bubblegum Bitch
04. Primadonna
05. Happy
06. I'm A Ruin
07. Forget
08. Shampaign
09. Homewrecker
10. Savages

11. Living Dead
12. Immortal
13. Power & Control
14. Starring Role
15. Lies
16. Buy The Stars
17. Disconnect (+ Clean Bandit)
18. How To Be A Heartbreaker
19. State Of Dreaming
20. Blue
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Wayne » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:16 am

LOVE P!nk! She is a sensational artist, she'll be remembered as one of the greats.

I like her slower mid-tempos the most, Who Knew is incredible.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Benjamin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:10 am

A living legend. Celine Dion has been round for as long as I can remember. When I was growing up, she was everywhere. That's why whenever I think of the '90s, I think of Celine. She ruled the world of music with all the iconic songs she released. I remember when 'Pour Que Tu M'Aimes Encore' was a big hit here. My mom loved the song and played it a lot. Same for 'Think Twice' and 'My Heart Will Go On'. True classics.

It's hard to pick my favourite Celine Dion record, because she's released so many. I think it's 'A New Day Has Come', because I remember listening to it a lot. Also, some of my favourite non-singles are on that album. I must add that I also really love her French music. Her latest French release 'Encore Un Soir' is such a great record.

I have much respect for Celine's career and rich discography. She truly is the queen of charts. That said, I also have respect for her as a person as she seems sweet and humble. I don't know much about her, but I do know her private life hasn't always been easy for her. She keeps going strong with a smile on her face though. I respect that.

Amazing woman. Period.

My favourite Celine Dion songs:

01. A New Day Has Come
02. Pour Que Tu M'Aimes Encore
03. Think Twice
04. That's The Way It Is
05. Loved Me Back To Life
06. My Heart Will Go On
07. Have You Ever Been In Love
08. I'm Your Angel (+ R. Kelly)
09. I'm Alive
10. Rain, Tax (It's Inevitable)

11. Because You Loved Me
12. Ten Days
13. L'étoile
14. It's All Coming Back To Me Now
15. Parler A Mon Pere
16. Tell Him (+ Barbra Streisand)
17. Encore Un Soir
18. Goodbye's (The Saddest Word)
19. Le Miracle
20. Aun Existe Amor
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:10 am

My absolute favourite rockbound: Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Ever since the 'Californication' album I became a fan. That album is a masterpiece and a true classic, the best they've ever made. I also like their older stuff, 'Under The Bridge' is phenomenal', but I grew up listening to their records after 'Cali'. That record is just magical. 'By The Way', the follow-up record, comes close though. The title track will always be special to be, as it reminds me of the long hot summer of 2002.

I really want to see them performing live and I hope I will ever get the chance. The Peppers are probably on top of my wishlist, along with Shakira and Coldplay. I hope they will do another tour soon. I need to get tickets and see them.

My favourite Red Hot Chilli Peppers songs:

01. Californication
02. By The Way
03. Scar Tissue
04. Under The Bridge
05. Road Trippin'
06. Dani California
07. Otherside
08. Snow (Hey Oh)
09. Dark Necessities
10. Desecration Smile

11. Stadium Arcadium
12. Storm In A Teacup
13. The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie
14. Brendan's Death Song
15. Tell Me Baby
16. Around The World
17. The Zephyr Song
18. Can't Stop
19. Dosed
20. Parallel Universe
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Fan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:13 pm

Sorry for missing out so much here, Ben. I did read everything but just forgot to reply :oops:
I basically like (almost) every artist you have mentioned, but will give some comments about the acts on this page.

Natalie Imbruglia <33 I wanted to see her so badly as well, but all my friends were also 'she has only one song, right?' so in the end I missed out. She has so many good songs though, her Greatest Hits record is incredible. Big Mistake and Counting Down The Days- tunes. Torn is obviously a modern classic.

I am not that familiar with Paulina Rubio. There was this song by hers I very much liked, but forgot the name and now I just don't know what it sounded like anymore.

Garbage + No Doubt are great!! Don't Speak, just like Torn, is the definition of a modern classic.

Pink is obviously one of the strongest singers around, she has so many good songs.

Marina!! Shocked to hear you weren't a big fan of The Family Jewels and I cannot BELIEVE (no Cher reference here) that I Am Not A Robot missed your top 20, easily her best song. But still glad you ranked her so high. Totally agree she should be bigger, but at the same time I think she enjoys where she is now. I would probably rank her in my top five favourite artists. And agree- she is a fantastic performer. Have seen her live as well.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:03 pm

I'm a big fan of a lot of Electra Heart songs, too. "Homewrecker" is my favourite, but "Lies," "Primadonna," and "Bubblegum Bitch" are also fantastic.

Céline Dion is brilliant. I had the privilege of seeing her live in Vegas this year, and she blew the door down on my already high expectations. What's mind-blowing is that I suspect she's an even more phenomenal person than she is a singer. My Céline Dion list of favourites would likely see "A New Day Has Come" in the Top 3, just below "It's All Coming Back to Me Now," and "The Power of the Dream". I pretty much love most of Céline's discography, though. I've explored some of her French catalogue, and it's just as impressive as Wayne made it out to be. When I did my list of all-time favourite acts in 2014, Céline was #16. I suspect she'd be a few places higher if I updated it today.

Benjamin wrote:I think I should have recommanded ‘War Of Nerves’ or ‘Dreams’ instad of ‘Black Coffee’ maybe.
"War of Nerves" was a bit uneventful, but "Dreams" had an interesting melody.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:30 pm

What can I say about Celine?

She's my musical love affair - seeing her live this year was a dream come true, something I've desperately wanted to do for the 15+ years I've been a fan.

I don't think I'll ever love a singer more than I love Celine - not only is she the greatest and most accomplished female singer of all-time, she is quite simply the nicest major celebrity that there has ever been.

Probably my current favourite track, and certainly in my top 5 of all-time.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Benjamin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:27 am

My ex-boyfriend first introduced me to Sia about 10 years ago when he played me 'Breathe Me'. I remember falling in love with the song instantly, as I was mesmerised by Sia's unique voice. 'Breathe Me' - and especially the amazing Mylo Mix - has become one of my all-time favourite songs. I can listen to it when I'm super happy or super sad and somehow the song always comforts me. Please check this version out, if you haven't heard it before, as it's by far the best thing Sia has ever released.

My favourite Sia album is 'Some People Have Real Problems' (but '1000 Forms Of Fear' is a close second). The album includes 'The Girl You Lost To Cocaine' (also one of my Sia faves) and so many other great songs. The album is more indie and less pop than the music Sia is making now. These are cute little songs with good lyrics and meaning. That said, I still love 2017 Sia and the fact that she's a mainstream pop girl is the best thing to ever happen, haha. She's so unique, I love it.

I really want to see Sia perform one day. She has one of the most interesting voices out there. She's a gem.
Although her latest album 'This Is Acting' wasn't my favourite, I hope she will release new music soon. I really want another 'Fire Meet Gasoline'.

My favourite Sia songs:

01. Breathe Me (Mylo Mix)
02. The Girl You Lost To Cocaine
03. Fire Meet Gasoline
04. Big Girls Cry
05. Alive
06. Destiny (+ Zero 7)
07. Soon We'll Be Found
08. Titanium (+ David Guetta)
09. Lentil
10. Cheap Thrills

11. Move Your Body
12. Little Black Sandals
13. Under The Milky Way
14. Chandelier
15. The Greatest (+ Kendrick Lamar)
16. Day Too Soon
17. Elastic Heart
18. I'm In Here
19. I Go To Sleep
20. Bring Night
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:58 am

Enrique Iglesias has been making music ever since I was a little kid. When he made his big breakthrough in the English markets, in 1999, he already was very successful in Latin America and Spain. 'Bailamos', 'Rhythm Divine' and 'Hero' were big hits for him and he became the next best pop star (together with Ricky Martin), but I never expected Enrique to be still very successful in 2017. I respect him for that. His career and discography is very impressive - as he scored many hits over the years,

I always think of Enrique as more of a single artist. That said, he has released some pretty nice albums though. 'Enrique' and 'Euphoria' are my favourites, but I also really like 'Insomniac' and 'Sex And Love'. Mainly because all albums are filled with hits. I'm still gutted he didn't release 'Ring My Bells' from the 'Insomniac' album though, that song deserved to be a single.

I really like how Enrique's been releasing one of the songs of the summer for the past 3-4 years now. I need a new album though. I'd like another 'Euphoria', a good mix of both Spanish and English songs. I'm here for another 'Bailando' or 'Noche Y De Día'.

Also worth a mention: I still think he's the sexiest man alive, he's only getting more handsome with time. (Maluma is coming to take the title though).

My favourite Enrique Iglesias songs:

01. Bailamos
02. Bailando (+ Descemer Bueno & Gente de Zona) - spanish version -
03. Could I Have This Kiss Forever (+ Whitney Houston)
04. Noche Y De Día (+ Yandel & Juan Magan)
05. Love To See You Cry
06. I Like It (+ Pitbull)
07. Be With You
08. Duele El Corazon (+ Wisín)
09. Rhythm Divine
10. Súbeme La Radio (+ Zion y Lennox + Descemer Bueno)

11. Tonight (I'm Fckng You) (+ Ludacris)
12. Hero
13. Ring My Bells
14. Dónde Están Corazon
15. Can You Hear Me
16. Not In Love (+ Kelis)
17. Cuando Me Enamoro (+ Juan Luis Guerra)
18. Somebody's Me
19. Do You Know? (The Ping-Pong song)
20. Escape
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Return to Personal Charts