Benji's Favourite Artists Ever (#038)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:24 am

In 2007 the yet-unknown band OneRepublic was featured on a song called 'Apologize' on Timbaland's 'Shock Value' album. The song was released as third single from Timbaland's album, following up collaborations with Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake and Keri Hilson. The success of 'Apologize' was enormous and OneRepublic decided to launch their debut album 'Dreaming Out Loud' shortly afterwards. Although the other singles from the album couldn't live up to the success of it's lead single, the band scored another hit with 'Stope And Stare' and quickly became the next best band on the block.

Two years later OneRepublic released their sophomore album 'Waking Up'. The band found new success, especially in the German speaking countries, were they scored big hits with 'All The Right Moves', 'Secrets', 'Marchin On' and 'Good Life'. Lead singer Ryan Tedder (co)produced all the songs on 'Waking Up'. The drum roll/sound in his production became very significant. At the time he also produced songs with a similar sound for Beyoncé ('Halo'), Kelly Clarkson ('Already Gone'), Jordin Sparks ('Battlefield') and Adele ('Rumour Has It').

I really liked OneRepublic first two albums, but the band won me over with the release of their third record 'Native'. This album is simply their best yet. The record is such a solid piece of work. The songs are uplifting and inspiring. 'Feel Again', 'I Lived', 'If I Lose Myself' and 'Counting Stars' have become anthems for me. Especially the latter I think is a very special song. Before the song was played to death, and became OneRepublic's biggest hit, the song became an anthem for me and my friends. When we were on a holiday in Split, Croatia, we kept playing it and hearing it on the radio everywhere. 'Counting Stars' is such an uplifting song and I'm so glad it was a huge success for them.

'Oh My My' is the title of the fourth album by OneRepublic. Even though I really love some on the tracks, especially lead single 'Wherever I Go' and 'Future Looks Good', I don't like the album as much as their previous records. It just lacks magic. That said, I like the fact that they've experienced a little more with sounds and collaborations (Peter Gabriel, Santigold, Cassius). I just hope they will be back on full force with album no. 5.

My favourite OneRepublic songs:

01. Counting Stars
02. If I Lose Myself
03. I Lived
04. Good Life
05. Come Home (+ Sara Bareilles)
06. Wherever I Go
07. Stop And Stare
08. Marchin' On
09. All The Right Moves
10. Future Looks Good

11. Love Runs Out
12. Secrets
13. Feel Again
14. Say (All I Need)
15. Apologize
16. Something I Need
17. Made For You
18. Mercy
19. What You Wanted
20. Burning Bridges
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:26 am

For a very long time Solange Knowles was only known as Beyoncé's little sister. When she released her debut 'Solo Star' in 2002, Solange tried to be the next big R&B girl, but unfortunately for her the album flopped hard. The album's lead single 'Feelin You' was a minor hit, but the album could not live up to expectations. It would take Solange 6 years to release a proper follow-up album and to finally achieve some success. 'Sol-Angel and the Hadley St. Dreams' was released in 2008 and is seen by fans as Solange's true debut album. The album didn't achieve much commercial success, but was loved by the critics. The record spawned the singles 'I Decided', 'Sandcastle Disco', T.O.N.Y., 'I Told You So' and 'Would've Been The One'. 'Sol-Angel' can be described as a R&B and soul record, but some of the singles got a dance remix for their release. It's lead single 'I Decided' (Freemasons mix) is Solange's highest charting single in the UK.

After the release of 'Sol-Angel' Solange released new material in 2012. The EP 'True' was very much liked by the critics and spawned the singles 'Losing You', 'Lovers In The Parking Lot' and 'Looks Good With Trouble'. The EP was more experimental than Solange's previous work. It's describes as a neo soul record, influenced by new wave music, dance and '80s pop. 'Looks Good With Trouble' is only 1:31 long on the EP, but the song got released with an additional verse of Kendrick Lamar later.

Late 2016 Solange surprised everyone when she, out of the blue, dropped her third record 'A Seat At The Table'. The album, that quickly became my favourite Solange record, became not only Solange's most critically acclaimed record, but also her most successful one. The album topped the Billboard Hot 200 and was named Album of The Year by both Pitchfork and Vibe. With 'A Seat At The Table' Solange finally stepped our of her sister's shadow and showed the world she's truly an amazing artist herself. Themes of the songs on the album are identity, empowerment, independence, grief and healing. I'm very curious to see how this era will develop and what's next for Sol-Angel.

My favourite Solange songs:

01. Sandcastle Disco
02. Losing You
03. Lovers In The Parking Lot
04. Cranes In The Sky
05. I Decided
06. Looks Good With Trouble (+ Kendrick Lamar)
07. Don't Touch My Hair
08. Would've Been The One
09. Mad (+ Lil' Wayne)
10. Junie

11. Champagnekroniknightcap (+ Lil' Wayne)
12. Cosmic Journey (+ Bilal)
13. Weary
14. Borderline
15. Some Things Never Seem To F***in' Work
16. God Given Name
17. T.O.N.Y.
18. Locked In Closets
19. Feelin' You (+ N.O.R.E.)
20. I Told You So
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:26 am

She's a superstar in her home country of Australia where she scored 9 number 1 hits in her career so far. Delta Goodrem, known for her role in the soap opera Neighbours, released her first album 'Innocent Eyes' in 2003. The album was a huge success in Australia (the 5 singles released all peaked at #1) and Europe. The album's title track is my favourite Delta Goodrem song. The lyrics are just very touching. I love her vocals on it and I like the piano parts. It's a sweet song.

The success of Delta in Australia is unmatched. With the release of the second album 'Mistaken Identity', the singer somehow lost focus on the rest of the world. She scored two top 10 singles in the UK with 'Out Of The Blue' and 'Almost Here' (her highest charting single there, together with 'Born To Try') - but that was about it. With the following releases she didn't even chart in other countries in Europe. A real shame, because her third album 'Delta' definitely was a great record. 'In This Life' is amazing and reminds me of the material on her debut.

I thought Delta's fourth album 'Child Of The Universe' was a bit of a hit and miss. The lead single 'Sitting On Top Of The World' was very promising, but the album was only quite alright. The single she released afterwards, 'Heart Hypnotic', was much better. Her cover version of 'Love Thy Will Be Done' was quite dull and became her lowest charting single in Australia.

Luckily Delta returned with a bang. The release of her fifth album was messy, but at least the material on the album was good. She got her 9th number 1 single in Australia with the amain 'Wings'. That song quickly became one of my Delta favourites. The song is powerful and uplifting and simply one of the best things she's ever done. I hope she will release more songs like 'Wings' in the future. I like ballad Delta, but I think I prefer uptempo Delta.

My favourite Delta Goodrem songs:

01. Innocent Eyes
02. Wings
03. In This Life
04. Not Me, Not I
05. Born To Try
06. Believe Again
07. Mistaken Identity
08. Heart Hypnotic
09. Out Of The Blue
10. A Year Ago Today

11. Last Night On Earth
12. Enough
13. Sitting On Top of The World
14. The River
15. Electric Storm
16. Almost Here (+ Brian McFadden)
17. The Analyst
18. Wish You Were Here
19. Dear Life
20. Lost Without You
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:31 pm

A true classic act here. Aerosmith released their first single way back in 1973. The band around Steven Tyler (god I love his voice) have released many classic hits in their career. I don't think I've heard all of Aerosmith's material, but I consider myself an admirer of their music. It's one of the few classic rockbands I actually like. It's because of Steven Styler. He can do no wrong. I love his raw voice.

I don't really have one favourite Aerosmith album, because I have always listened to random songs of theirs, I guess. That said, I must say I did really enjoy their 2001 'Just Push Play'. Underrated classic for me. My favourite Aerosmith single is the amazing 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing'. Man, that song was huge back then. It was everywhere really. A true classic.

My favourite Aerosmith songs:

01. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
02. Pink
03. Dream On
04. Jaded
05. Walk This Way (+ Run DMC)
06. It Feels So Good (Steven Tyler)
07. Ragdoll
08. Just Push Play
09. Amazing
10. Crazy

11. Sunshine
12. Livin' On The Edge
13. Janie's Got A Gun
14. Angel
15. Cryin'
16. Fly Away From Here
17. Walk On Water
18. Blind Man
19. Sweet Emotion
20. Make It
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Erotica » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:23 am

Pink is my favourite Aerosmith song
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Erotica wrote:Pink is my favourite Aerosmith song
:D it's so sexy!
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Phoenixx » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:08 am

OneRepublic and Aerosmith! Both are LEGENDS :cry:
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby Benjamin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:35 pm

Most people only know Meja for her '90s mega hit 'All Bout The Money', but the Swedish songbird has released quite some more music in her career. Meja has released six studio albums so far, but just failed to continue the success of her international breakthrough album 'Seven Sisters' outside her native country of Sweden. A shame, because I think Meja has released great music over the years.

'Seven Sisters' is not only Meja's most famous work, also my personal favourite of hers. The album, released in 1998, is Swedish pop music at its best. Listening to the album brings back so many memorie sof me as a little kid. The album's biggest success 'All Bout The Money' is just so happy and so catchy, it always makes me smile. For me, 'Seven Sisters' is a classic.

If you haven't heard any of other Meja's music than 'Seven Sisters', I suggest you listen to the 'Mellow' and 'Urban Gyspy' albums. Over the years Meja has grown as a singer-songwriter. I love her carefree music ('At The Rainbbow's End') and gypsy themed songs. Also, her mellow cover of Mando Diao's 'Dance With Somebody' is fantastic. Go check her out!

My favourite Meja songs:

01. All 'Bout The Money
02. Private Emotion (+ Ricky Martin)
03. At The Rainbow's End
04. Life Is A River
05. Intimacy
06. Seven Sisters Road
07. Dance With Somebody
08. Lullaby Song
19. How Crazy Are You?
10. Radio Radio

11. Wake Up Call
12. Rainbow
13. Spirits
14. Roses In December
15. Luxury
16. Lay Me Down
17. Blame It On The Shadows
18. Hippies In The '60s
19. Pop & Television
20. Beautiful Girl
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:00 am

I don't know OneRepublic's discography well beyond their singles, but they have put out some strong singles. "Counting Stars", "Apologize", "I Lived", "Stop and Stare", and "Something I Need" are my favourites from them.

For a long time, I didn't even care about Solange, then "Losing You" came out, and piqued my interest. I didn't get around to hearing A Seat at the Table yet, but "F.U.B.U." is such a powerful song that I really must make time soon to listen to the LP. She's clearly talented, and I'm happy she's moving out of the shadow of her big sister, and forging a path of her own as a credible - and commercially viable, shockingly! - artist.

Delta has such a terrific discography! I'd be here for a while listing my favourites from her, but suffice it to say that I like/love most of the 20 songs you highlighted.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:42 am

First things first: that voice. When Paolo Nutini starts singing, I start melting. His deep, dark and soulful voice is - besides his yummy looks - what made me fall in love with him instantly. I dare to say Paolo has one of the best voices on his generation. I love listening to his records late at night while drinking a glass of strong liquor and thinking about life. Like an old man, haha. His music is just perfect for it.

My favourite Paolo album must be his latest. I think 'Caustic Love' is a modern classic. I also really love his debut - thought his sophomore was not all that - but 'Caustic Love' is just the bomb. It's a solid record not a single filler on it. I feel like he took his debut as a blueprint for this album, but added more layers. It's like 'Caustic Love' is 'These Streets' grown up sister. I also love the fact that we worked with Janelle Monáe on this record.

The singles he released from 'These Streets' are his strongest overall, but there's one song that trumps all. That's the masterpiece that is 'Iron Sky'. The song became an instant favourite of mine when I first heard the album. The lyrics, the use of 'The Great Dictator' speech, his voice, his emotions in it, his pain. It truly is one of the best song released in the last couple of years.
The song became a hit here after the Paris attacks as radio suddenly started playing it. Unfortunately the song and its message is the perfect song for the world we're living in today. Gives me goosebumps everytime.

My favourite Paolo Nutini songs:

01. Iron Sky
02. Jenny Don't Be Hasty
03. Last Request
04. Rewind
05. New Shoes
06. Scream (Funk My Life Up)
07. Better Man
08. Coming Up Easy
09. Diana
10. Candy

11. Fashion (+ Janelle Monae)
12. Cherry Blossom
13. Let Me Down Easy
14. These Streets
15. Autumn
16. Alloway Grove
17. Million Faces
18. Looking For Something
19. White Lies
20. Loving You
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:46 am

She started out as a pop-rock singer in the early '90s. Her debut album 'Tuesday Night Music Club', released in the Summer of 1993, was a huge success and spawned two of the biggest hits of Sheryl Crow's career: 'Strong Enough' and 'All I Wanna Do'. The latter became an iconic hit in the '90s and Sheryl won two Grammy's with it. I think most people know the song, but they don't even know it's by Sheryl Crow. 'Tuesday Night Music Club' was followed up by her self-titled sophomore album. The album was another success and Crow scored hits with 'If It Makes You Happy' and 'Everyday Is A Winding Road'. The album was still quite pop rock. Same goes for 'The Globe Sessions'.

With the release of her fourth album 'C'Mon C'Mon', probably my favourite Sheryl Crow album, Sheryl changed up her sound. The record is arguably the most pop sounding album of her career. It's lead single 'Soak Up The Sun', also my favourite Sheryl Crow song, is such a happy song. On the album she worked with Don Henley, Liz Phair, Lenny Kravitz and Stevie Nicks. For me, Sheryl has yet to top this record.

My favourite Sheryl Crow songs:

01. Soak Up The Sun
02. All I Wanna Do
03. Try Not To Remember
04. Picture (+ Kid Rock)
05. If It Makes You Happy
06. Steve McQueen
07. Light In Your Eyes
08. If It Makes You Happy
09. Tomorrow Never Dies
10. Run Baby Run

11. The First Cut Is The Deepest
12. Summer Day
13. Love Is Free
14. Now That You're Gone
15. Sign Your Name (+ Justin Timberlake)
16. Strong Enough
17. Out Of Our Heads
18. Always On Your Side (+ Sting)
19. There Goes The Neighbourhood
20. Everyday Is A Winding Road
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:00 am

André 3000 and Big Boi are Outkast. For me, they are the definition of hip-hop in the '90s. This duo brought something fresh and funky to the table in a time where it was all gangsta rap. Even though I'm not a big fan of their early work, I think Outkast, and especially André 3000, are iconic. I'm not just talking about their big hit 'Hey Ya!', but really about their whole discography.

My favourite Outkast record must be 'The Love Below', mainly because it's mostly André 3000 on there. I like Big Boi, but I feel he's not as artistic and outgoing as André. On 'The Love Below' André really went outside his comfort zone by collaborating with artists such as Kelis and Norah Jones. It's a modern classic for me, while 'Speakerboxxx' is solid, but not as special.

I really hope Outkast will release another album in the future. Or that André will continue to feature on other people's tracks. A full solo record would be amazing.

My favourite Outkast songs:

01. Ms. Jackson
02. Hey Ya!
03. Dracula's Wedding (+ Kelis)
04. Take Off Your Cool (+ Norah Jones)
05. So Fresh, So Clean
06. Pink & Blue
07. Prototype
08. Rosa Parks
19. B.O.B.
10. Roses

11. Ghetto Musick
12. Happy Valentines Day
13. My Favorite Things
14. The Way You Move + Sleepy Brown)
15. Where Are My Panties?
16. Flip Flop Rock (+ Jay-Z)
17. Knowing
18. Love In War
19. The Whole World (+ Killer Mike)
20. Mighty O

André 3000 must be one of my favourite rappers. When he's featured on a song, I always love it. Some of his best guest features are 'Millionaire' (Kelis), 'Party' (Beyoncé), 'Play The Guitar' (B.o.B.), 'Green Light' (John Legend) and 'Pink Matter' (Frank Ocean).
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:36 am

When I was younger I loved watching Daft Punk videos (from the 'Discovery' era) because the videos basically were cartoons. At first I didn't really pay attention to the music, but I started to love 'One More Time' soon enough. It's such a happy tune. The song quickly became my favourite Daft Punk song - and still is - and the 'Discovery' album my favourite Daft Punk album.

When Daft Punk released their 'Random Access Memories' album they choose a different sound. Less electronic, more funky/disco - (especially on the Pharrell assisted singles 'Get Lucky' and 'Lose Yourself To Dance') but still very Daft Punk. 'Get Lucky' reminds me of good times, going out with my friends and having a good time. I will never get tired of it.

My favourite Daft Punk songs:

01. One More Time
02. Instant Crush (+ Julian Casablancas)
03. Get Lucky (+ Pharrell)
04. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
05. Derrezzed
06. Around The World
07. Lose Yourself To Dance (+ Pharrell)
08. Starboy (+ The Weeknd)
09. Aerodynamic
10. Digital Love

11. Da Funk
12. Robot Rock
13. Doin' It Right (+ Panda Bear)
14. Something About Us
15. Face To Face
16. I Feel It Coming (+ The Weeknd)
17. Give Life Back To Music
18. Giorgio By Moroder
19. Burnin
20. Superheroes

Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:53 am

Swedish singer Robyn lands a spot at #83. Robyn has been around ever since I can remember and has build quite an impressive discography so far. What I like about Robyn is that she makes great pop music without being a pop star. No matter how mainstream her sound can be, she will always be mysterious and kind of underground and alternative. It's her image I guess.

My favourite Robyn album must be the entire 'Body Talk' trilogy haha. She released the album in three parts, and latter as a whole, and just kept on delivering tune after tune. That said, her work with Roykskopp always in on point. The 'E.N.D.' version of 'Monument' is a masterpiece. A new Robyn album is long overdue, so I hope she will release somheting this year. I know I am ready.

My favourite Robyn songs:

01. With Every Heartbeat
02. Monument (+ Roykskopp)
03. Do It Again (+ Roykskopp)
04. Indestructible
05. Show Me Love
06. Keep This Fire Burning
07. The Girl & The Robot (+ Roykskopp)
08. Dream On
09. Dancing On My Own
10. Love Kills

11. Caesar (+ I Blame Coco)
12. Crash And Burn Girl
13. Don't Stop The Music
14. Hang With Me
15. Call Your Girlfriend
16. Be Mine!
17. Handle Me
18. Who's That Girl
19. Play
20. Electric

Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun May 28, 2017 7:12 am

When Goldfrapp released their debut 'Felt Mountain', I must admit I paid them dust. It wasn't until I heard the classic 'Strict Machine' single from their sophomore 'Black Cherry', until they grabbed my attention. That song quickly became a favourite on the dance floor when going out on a Thursday night at my local club. When the band released their third album 'Supernature' they won me over completely. There's just something about Allison Goldfrapp's lush vocals over a hot electro beat.

Over the years Goldfrapp have experienced with new sounds. Their fourth album was a change of direction for them. On 'Seventh Tree' they came up with a more folky/singer-songwriter sound. Surprisingly it suits Allison Goldfrapp's voice very well and even though I missed the classic dance songs, I really enjoyed the album. 'A&E', the album's lead single, is a wonderful track to listen to when wandering around the city.

After the release of 'Seventh Tree' in 2008, Goldfrapp came back with their fifth album 'Head First' in 2010. I must admit that this album didn't grab me as their previous records. Luckily they released their six album 'Tales Of Us' three years later. The album was different from anything they had done before, but such an amazing collection of songs. The lead single 'Drew' quickly became one of my favourite Goldfrapp songs.

Earlier this year Goldfrapp released their seventh album 'Silver Eye' and after all those years they are back to their original sound and style. 'Anymore' is amazing and sounds like it was taken off 'Supernature'. Even though I love folky Goldfrapp, I think I do prefer electro Goldfrapp.

My favourite Goldfrapp songs:

01. Ooh La La
02. Drew
03. Ride A White Horse
04. Strict Machine
05. Anymore
06. A&E
07. Carivan Girl
08. Fly Me Away
09. Annabel
10. Yellow Halo

11. Black Cherry
12. Melancholy Sky
13. Satin Boys, Flamic Chic
14. Lovely 2 C U
15. Koko
16. Rocket
17. Thea
18. Twist
19. Utopia
20. Train

Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun May 28, 2017 7:45 am

Let me firsts ay that I found it very hard to rank Kesha in this countdown. When she first came out with 'Tik Tok' and the 'Animal' album I was obsessed with her. The album is such an important record for me as it is the soundtrack of a particular time in my life. The album will always be a classic in my books and listening to the song will probably always remind me of lots of good times.

That said - Kesha, as we know, has only released two albums in her career thusfar. Sadly that's because of legal issues with her former producer Dr. Luke. That's the reason I find it hard to rank her in this countdown, because there's not so much music from her that got released. I really think she deserves a spot in my chart though, because - as I said - her music was very special to me back when it was released.

'Animal' is a classic record. I know most people will just listen to it and hear simple pop tunes. That's exactly why I love it so much. I could relate to the songs so much at the time when the album was released. Somehow it became the soundtrack of my early 20s. I started to go out more, see and explore more and 'Animal' was just the perfect soundtrack for it. I made new friends and visited new places. Whenever I listen to 'Tik Tok', 'Take It Off' or 'Party At A Rich Dude's House', those memories come back.

I love Kesha for being such a brave woman. I truly hope she will release new music soon, because I am ready to hear new material from her. For me it probably won't be as iconic as her 'Animal' days, but I'm so curious about her new songs. I hope she will deliver.

My favourite Kesha songs:

01. Tik Tok
02. Take It Off
03. Blow
04. We R Who We R
05. C'Mon
06. Crazy Kids
07. Animal
08. Party At A Rich Dude's House
09. All That Matters (Beautiful Life)
10. Dancing With Tears In My Eyes

11. Die Young
12. Warrior
13. Crazy Beautiful Life
14. Cannibal
15. Your Love Is My Drug
16. Hungover
17. Supernatural
18. F*ck Him He's A DJ
19. Blah Blah Blah
20. Kiss N Tell
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby luckyONE » Sun May 28, 2017 8:33 am

I remember being pissed when I found out 'ANIMAL' was only out in Germany a month after its US release date. :lol: But I was obsessed with the record back in 2010.
Good to see "Party At A Rich Dude's House" in the Top 10 of your favorite KE$HA songs, it's probably my #1.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun May 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Goldfrapp are great, they'd be way higher for me, not taken with their latest album yet sadly. Love a bit of Sheryl too.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:38 pm

Usher has been dominating the charts ever since the mid-90s when he first released his sophomore album 'My Way'. His self-titled debut spawned some minor hits, but when he released 'You Make Me Wanna...' as the lead single from his second record, he reached the top of the game. I believe Usher paved the way for a lot of today's R&B artists such as Chris Brown and Trey Songz.

I basically like everything Usher has done, but my favourite album must be 'Confessions'. In my opinion is definitely Usher's best work and a classic album. I also really like his '8701' album, because that was the first Usher album I bought. I was in love with 'U Remind Me' and 'U Don't Have To Call'.

Although I own multiple Usher albums, aI always see him more as a single artist. That's why I basically ranked my favourite Usher singles. I hope he continues to make more music in the style of 'Climax' and 'Crash'. Definitely two of his best in years.

My favourite Usher songs:

01. Yeah (+ Ludacris & Lil' Jon)
02. DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love (+ Pitbull)
03. U Remind Me
04. Hot Tottie
05. Crash
06. Lemme See (+ Rick Ross)
07. My Boo (+ Alicia Keys)
08. Climax
09. Confessions pt. II
10. Hey Daddy (Daddy's Home)

11. U Got It Bad
12. Lil' Freak (+ Nicki Minaj)
13. U Don't Have To Call (+ P. Diddy)
14. Dirty Dancer (+ Enrique Iglesias)
15. Without You (+ David Guetta)
16. OMG (+ will.I.am)
17. Nice & Slow
18. U-Turn
19. Burn
20. She Came To Give It To You (+ Nicki Minaj)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:46 pm

Usher is easily among my Top 5 male artists of all-time. The Confessions era was special, but I think my favourite LP from him is My Way.

I agree that most of his best songs were released as singles, but he does have more than a few solid album tracks in his catalogue. "Separated" is probably his most underrated song.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:31 pm

When Katy released her first major debut single 'I Kissed A Girl', I thought the song was bananas. I never expected her to have a follow-up hit. And I never ever expected her to have such a longtime career in music with so many hits in her discography. I know these days it's quite popular to hate on Katy, but for me she's still one of the strongest forces in pop music today. Just look at her impressive catalogue.

Her debut 'One Of The Boys' spawned a couple of hits and features some nice album tracks, but the album overall wasn't very memorable for me. Katy's sophomore album 'Teenage Dream ' however, is one of the best pop records of the past 10 years. The album contains no fillers. I think literally all of the songs could've been singles. She almost chose all the right ones.

The title track of 'Teenage Dream' is my absolute favourite Katy Perry track. I don't think she will ever top that for me. The Bonnie McKee-written song is just pure pop perfection. The melody, the lyrics, music video.. everything is on point. I feel it's one of Katy's most forgotten singles, even though the song was a Billboard #1 hit. It's being overshadowed by the other hits from the album, especially 'California Gurls' and 'Firework'.

Following up such a huge era (the label did everything right) is almost impossible to do, but I think Katy managed to do well with the release of 'Prism'. 'Roar' and especially 'Dark Horse' were huge smashes. I feel like the era could've been much bigger if they'd released other singles. 'Unconditionally', despite being a beautiful song, should've never been released. 'This Is How We Do' should've stayed an album track. She should've released 'Walking On Air' and 'Legendary Lovers' instead. Such a shame.

I feel like Katy waited too long to release her fourth studio album 'Witness'. What I've heard from the album so far, I liked. Especially 'Swish Swish'. That beat! I hope the era will turn around and she will score another massive hit again.

My favourite Katy Perry songs:

01. Teenage Dream
02. I Kissed A Girl
03. Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)
04. Hot N Cold
05. California Gurls (+ Snoop Dogg)
06. Dark Horse (+ Juicy J)
07. Waking Up In Vegas
08. Walking On Air
09. Firework
010. E.T. (+ Kanye West)

11. Legendary Lovers
12. Swish Swish (+ Nicki MInaj)
13. Circle The Drain
14. The One That Got Away
15. Chained To Teh Rhythm (+ Skip Marley)
16. Roar
17. Wide Awake
18. Birthday
19. Thinking Of You
20. Part Of Me
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:53 am

I did like the songs he put out with *NSYNC (especially 'Bye Bye Bye', 'Girlfriend' and 'Pop'), but when Justin Timberlake released his first solo single I was hooked. 'Like I Love You', still his best song yet, is a classic. Justin's transformation from longtime boyband member to a young solo superstar was huge. His debut 'Justified' was huge, deservingly so. Justin worked with The Neptunes and Timbaland and that was a golden move.

For his second album, still my favourite of his, he changed up his style to a more electronic sound. 'FutureSex/LoveSounds' became a huge success and spawned many hits including 'SexyBack' and 'What Goes Around.. Comes Around'. Timberlake worked with Timbaland on many songs. The album's still my favourite because I remember it sounded so fresh when I first heard it. 'SexyBack' sounded like something I never really heard before.

Justin has delivered many good tunes over the years. I feel like his career could've been even bigger if he focused on music more though. 'FutureSex/LoveSounds' was released in mid-2006 and I think the era ended late 2007. Justin's next project, 'The 20/20 Experience pt. I', was only released in 2013. I feel like he should've released another record in between those eras. For me, he's become an actor and celebrity that casually releases music. I think that's why he's not higher on my countdown.

In 2016 Justin released 'Can't Stop The Feeling!' as soundtrack of the Trolls movie. The songs became a huge worldwide hit. He's rumored to release new music this year, as he's been in the studio with longtime collaborators Timbaland and Pharrell. I'm excited, but I hope the record doesn't sound like another part of the '20/20 Experience' albums. I want fresh. Latin beats please, as 'Let The Groove Get it' is one of the best songs he's ever done.

My favourite Justin Timberlake songs:

01. Like I Love You (+ Clipse)
02. SexyBack
03. Rock Your Body
04. Cry Me A River
05. Let The Groove Get In
06. LoveStoned
07. Summerlove
08. What Goes Around.. Comes Around
09. My Love (+ T.I.)
10. Mirrors

11. Can't Stop The Feeling!
12. Chop Me Up (+ Timbaland & Three 6 Mafia)
13. Drink You Away
14. Not A Bad Thing
15. Don't Hold The Wall
16. Murder ( Jay-Z)
17. Cabaret (+ Drake)
18. Strawberry Bubblegum
19. Suit & Tie (+ Jay-Z)
20. Señorita

Because Justin has so many features, I decided to rank my favourite Justin Timberlake features as well.

01. Where's The Love (+ Black Eyed Peas)
02. Give It To Me (+ Timbaland & Nelly Furtado)
03. Bounce (+ Timbaland, Missy Elliott & Dr.Dre)
04. Love Sex Magic (+ Ciara)
05. Love Never Felt So Good (+ Michael Jackson)
06. Ayo Technology (+ 50 Cent)
07. Carry Out (+ Timbaland)
08. Holy Grail (+ Jay-Z)
09. Dead And Gone (+ T.I.)
10. My Style (+ Black Eyed Peas)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:17 am

When I first heard 'Where's The Love' I was sold. The song is a classic and its lyrics and message, unfortunately, are still relevant 14 years after its release. For me it has become an anthem of our generation with everything that has been going on - and still is happening - in the world. Therefor I will always love Black Eyed Peas.

Obviously I became a fan of the BEP when Fergie joined the group. She and the boys have made some classic records over the years. Their debut in this formation, 'Elephunk', is a great record - but my favourite BEP album is 'The E.N.D.'. The band changed up their style to a more electronic sound on this record and I thought it was a brilliant move. 'Boom Boom Pow' still is a banger. The other banger 'I Gotta Feeling' became one of the biggest songs released ever in terms of sales. Even though I've heard it way too many times, it's still a great party song with such a positive vibe to it. Another anthem.

The last BEP released was 'The Beginning' and even though the album had some nice tunes on it, I definitely don't like it as much as their other records. I do hope they will release another album one day, but with Fergie recently announcing she's (temporarily) left the BEP to focus on her long overdue solo record, I doubt it.

My favourite Black Eyed Peas songs:

01. Where's The Love (+ Justin Timberlake)
02. I Gotta Feeling
03. Boom Boom Pow
04. Shut Up
05. Hey Mama
06. Don't Phunk With My Heart
07. Meet Me Halfway
08. Dum Diddly
09. My Style (+ Justin Timberlake)
10. My Humps

11. Electric City
12. Mas Que Nada (+ Sergio Mendes)
13. Let's Get It Started
14. Don't Lie
15. Rock That Body
16. Light Up The Night
17. Showdown
18. Imma Be
19. Request + Line (+ Macy Gray)
20. Just Can't Get Enough

My favourite Fergie songs:

01. Big Girls Don't Cry
02. Glamorous (+ Ludacris)
03. Beautiful Dangerous (+ Slash)
04. London Bridge
05. Mary Jane Shoes
06. L.A. Love
07. Fergalicious
08. All That I Got
09. MILF $
10. Clumsy

My favourite will.i.am songs:

01. T.H.E. (+ Jennifer Lopez & Mick Jagger)
02. This Is Love (+ Eva Simons)
03. Great Times
04. Scream & Shout (+ Britney Spears)
05. #ThatPower (+ Justin Bieber)
06. Fall Down (+ Miley Cyrus)
07. Boys & Girls (+ Pia Mia)
08. Heartbreaker (+ Cheryl Cole)
09. I Got It From My Mama
10. Feelin' Myself (+Miley Cyrus, Wiz Khalifa & French Montana)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Fan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:20 am

I have a bit of a catch up to do in here- obviously lots of great artists mentioned here as you have one of the best music tastes on here!

Starting with Sugababes. I was always #teamgirlsaloud, but also a big fan of the 'Babes. Hole In The Head is also one of my favourites by them. And yay for your mention of I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor, great cover.
Don't know that many The Corss songs, but Breathless is a tune! Same for Meja- All About The Money + Private Emotions (Ricky <3, expect to see him land much higher on your chart).

Ed has been way too overrated for me lately, but The A Team remains a classic. Maroon 5 and OneRepublic are two of my favourite pop/rock bands. Never Gonna Leave This Bad is my favourite of the former (Adam looks soo sexy in the video as well) and OneRepublic have too many good ones. Ryan his voice is everything. But I would say If I Lose Myself, Stop and Stare and All The Right Moves are among their best for me.

Don't Let Go and Free Your Mind are classics, just like Aerosmith's I Don't Want To Miss A Thing.

Natalia Kills is so frustrating. I LOVE her music so much (Television, Mirros, Wonderland, Saturday Night, Break You Hard- I could go on), but her personality ruins everything for me and therefore I barely listen to her anymore. She is so rude and annoying. Good to still see her in your chart because her music is 10/10.
Solange is obviously gold. Sandcastle Disco still remains my favourite as well.

Delta and Robyn <33
I lost Delta a bit after her third record, but especially her first and second are classics for me. Used to love her so much. Lost Without You is so low though :(

Goldfrapp have so good songs (A&E!), but never got really on board. Kesha is fun. Especially her debut record was such a fun, pop, i-don't-care record.

Katy is losing it a bit for me, but she has released so many brilliant pop records. Although I miss my favourite Katy song in your top 20!
Justin is also another good one. BEP have lost me (if I hear I Gotta Feeling one more time!!), but Where Is The Love? and Don't Phunk With My Heart are still amazing.

Looking forward to see this continue! :D
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:30 am

Fan wrote:Katy is losing it a bit for me, but she has released so many brilliant pop records. Although I miss my favourite Katy song in your top 20!
Awww! <3 Thanks for commenting on all of this. I like reading your thoughts and opinions.
What's your favourite Katy song, btw?
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Return to Personal Charts