Benji's Favourite Artists Ever (#034)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Fan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:22 am

Benjamin wrote:
Fan wrote:Katy is losing it a bit for me, but she has released so many brilliant pop records. Although I miss my favourite Katy song in your top 20!
Awww! <3 Thanks for commenting on all of this. I like reading your thoughts and opinions.
What's your favourite Katy song, btw?
It's Unconditionally actually! Not the most popular opinion, but I love the song so much and it has some special memories for me as well.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:33 am

Fan wrote:
Benjamin wrote:
Fan wrote:Katy is losing it a bit for me, but she has released so many brilliant pop records. Although I miss my favourite Katy song in your top 20!
Awww! <3 Thanks for commenting on all of this. I like reading your thoughts and opinions.
What's your favourite Katy song, btw?
It's Unconditionally actually! Not the most popular opinion, but I love the song so much and it has some special memories for me as well.
I see! :) It's good track though.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:29 am

Not everyone here might know Elisa, as she's mostly famous in her homecountry of Italy. The singer has such an impressive career with a very strong discography. She's been making great pop/rock songs in both English and Italian for 20 years now, as her debut 'Pipes & Flowers was released in 1997. It's really worth checking her out. It's a shame she's not more popular outside Italy as I think her music could do well in Europe.

I first discovered Elisa in 2002 when she released the English version of her hit 'Luce'. The song, 'Come Speak To Me', and its video immediately grabbed my attention. I think it has become one of my all-time favourite songs. The video for 'Come Speak To Me' also is one of the best music videos ever made. It's simple but it suits the song so well. By watching Elisa walking in the middle of nowhere, you can feel her desperation. Her loneliness. It's so beautiful, like an European arthouse movie.

Over the years Elisa has released many good songs and albums. Her latest 'On' was mix between English and Italian and was another good record. I hope she will release new music this year to celebrate the 20 year anniversary of her music career. I'm always ready for new Elisa. I would also like to see her represent Italy in the Eurovision Song Contest. I think she could do well with a good song.

My favourite Elisa songs:

01. Come Speak To Me (Luce)
02. Labyrinth
03. Heaven Out Of Hell
04. Rock Your Soul
05. Together
06. Ancora Qui
07. Una Poesia Anche Per Te
08. The Waves
09. Swan
10. Someone To Love

11. No Hero
12. Rainbow
13. Teach Me Again (+ Tina Turner)
14. Nostalgia
15. Dancing
16. Stay
17. L'Anima Vola
18. Asile's World
19. Sleeping In Your Hand
20. Love Is Requited
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:48 am

Macy Gray has one of the most distinctive voices in the music world. When she first came out with her debut 'On How Life Is' I didn't really like her voice, but when I first heard 'I Try' that suddenly started to change. I can really appreciate her voice and her music now. To me, she's one of the most underrated artists of the 00s. It's a shame she's being ignored by the general public.

My favourite Macy Gray album is hard to chose. It's between her debut 'On How Life Is' and her sophomore album 'The ID'. Those two records are classics in my book. 'Sweet Baby', the song she did with Erykah Badu, is my favourite Macy Gray song. it's just so sweet and soft. 'I Try' is a close second.

The song Macy recorded with Fatboy Slim, that was used in a very steamy scene in Sense8, is another classic. The song is pure sex. I didn't like it when it first came out, but I love it now.

There's just nothing more to say about Macy Gray I guess. All her music speaks for itself. She deserves more credit, and more love so go and listen to her records. :wink:

My favourite Macy Gray songs:

01. Sweet Baby (+ Erykah Badu)
02. I Try
03. Demons (+ Fatboy Slim)
04. Shoo Be Doo
05. Beauty In The World
06. Sail
07. Stoned
08. Why Didn't You Call Me
09. Still
10. Finally Made Me Happy

11. When I See You
12. Sexual Revolution
13. Boo
14. My Nutmeg Fantasy (+ Angie Stone)
15. I've Commited Murder
16. Relating To A Psychopath
17. Bang Bang
18. Harry
19. Do Something
20. She Ain't Right For You
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:53 am

When Amy Winehouse died at the young age of 27 she became immortal. Her career was short as she only got to release two studio albums. Both of them are classics. Winehouse's music is timeless and her persona will never be forgotten. She became an icon.

There's a lot to say about Amy, but I just want to mention her amazing voice and her very strong discography. It's a shame we will never get to hear new music from her. I would have wanted 10 more records from her, as she delivered pure class. I hope she's in a better place now and makes music with the legends that have passed.

My favourite Amy Winehouse songs:

01. You Know I'm No Good
02. Back To Black
03. Rehab
04. You Sent Me Flying
05. **** Me Pumps
06. Valerie (+ Mark Ronson)
07. Tears Dry On Their Own
08. Love Is A Losing Game
09. Stronger Than Me
10. In My Bed

11. Some Unholy War
12. Just Friends
13. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?
14. Help Yourself
15. Take The Box
16. He Can Only Hold Her
17. Monkey Man
18. Our Day Will Come
19. Addicted
20. Cherry Wine (+ Nas)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Fan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:46 am

Amy is obviously amazing. A true legend even though she has had such a short career. I'm sure her music will be remember for a long time to come. You Know I'm No Good and Back To Black are my two favourites as well.

And I adore Macy Gray's I Try. Such a tune!
Fan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:01 am

When I saw the video for 'I'm Outta Love' on MTV I was sold. The song is iconic and the music video takes me back to the early '00s: the era with good music and poor fashion choices. Ana's soulful powerhouse vocals make the song a classic. I don't think I will ever get tired of hearing this song. It's also one of my mom's all-time favorites.

Ana's debut was solid. 'Not That Kind' is a good album filled with some absolute gems like 'Who's Gonna Stop The Rain'. That song should've been a single, I still can't understand why she paid it dust. I feel like the era could've lasted a bit longer with the release of a fifth single, but instead her sophomore record 'Freak Of Nature' was released. Another good record, but not on apr with her debut. 'Paid My Dues' and 'One Day In Your Life' are amazing though. The latter reminds me of the long Summer of 2002.

Anastacia's third self-titled record remains my absolute favorite record of hers. The lyrics to some of the songs, like 'Left Outside Alone', 'Time', "Welcome To My Truth' and 'Sick And Tired', are quite personal to me as I was going through some crap back then, haha. I think the album helped me a lot and I'm grateful for that. She could've chosen different singles though.

After the magnificent 'Anastacia' album I kind of lost interest in Anastacia. Not entirely of course, because I enjoyed some of the singles she released afterwards ('Pieces Of A Dream', 'I Belong To You') - but she hasn't released an album as good as her first three records since. 'Heavy Rotation' was nice but includes one of my least favorite Ana songs ('Absolutely Positively').

I understand that Ana is planning to release a new albums later this year. I hope she it will match the quality of her first three records. I am excited though.

My favourite Anastacia songs:

01. I'm Outta Love
02. Left Outside Alone
03. One Day In Your Life
04. Sick And Tired
05. Who's Gonna Stop The Rain
06. Not That Kind
07. Welcome To My Truth
08. Paid My Dues
09. Boom
10. Heavy On My Heart

11. Everything Burns (+ Ben Moody)
12. I Do
13. Time
14. Defeated
15. Seasons Change
16. Cowboys & Kisses
17. Freak of Nature
18. Made For Lovin' You
19. I Belong To You (+ Eros Ramazotti)
20. Lifeline

Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:51 am

Norah Jones has one of my favourite voices in de music industry. Her vocals are soft and flow so well with her relaxing music. It's perfect background music on a Sunday afternoon to get in chill mode, haha. I know some of my friends think she's boring, but I think she's fantastic. I love how she keeps doing her own thing on every album. She's obviously not here for the hits and charts.

I can't decide what my favourite Norah Jones album is. Her debut is a classic, it's absolutely amazing. But, that said, I also really love her sophomore and her third records. These first three albums are my faves together and it depends on my mood which one I like better.

My favourite Norah Jones songs:

01. Don't Know Why
02. Come Away With Me
03. The Sun Doesn't Like You
04. My Dear Country
05. Sunrise
06. Until The End
07. Those Sweet Words
08. Thinking About You
09. Feelin' The Same Way
10. Turn Me ON

11. Happy Pills
12. Miriam
13. Not Too Late
14. Sinkin' Soon
15. Carnival Town
16. What Am I To You
17. Chasing Pirates
18. Young Blood
19. Wish I Could
20. Shoot The Moon

Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Fan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Anastacia used to be one of my favourite artists. Totally agree with your comment about her third album- it really was a stunning record. Sick and Tired will always be a massive tune. And I love Season's Change. I actually saw her live last year, when she performed during a festival here in The Hague and she still delivered. So good pick!

I've never really been on board with Norah Jones. Come Away With Me is okay, I guess.
Fan
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Anastacia has one of my favourite voices in pop music, it's so delicious! :P

Sad how you almost completely ignored the existence of "Resurrection" considering it's probably her most personal and accomplished album! IMO of course.

Macy is lots of fun too, love her.

Norah's whispery voice is a treat too, can't listen to her too much but she has some great songs.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:14 am

I love Lauryn Hill for her amazing voice, her music with The Fugees, her incredible solo album, her lyrics, her coolness. She really is one of the most talented singers out there. I remember watching her unique music videos on MTV for 'Doo Wop' and 'Everything Is Everything' when I was little. I was stanning hard for Lauryn back then as she was different than most other singers out there. I had a crush on her too, haha. But seriously, her music is top notch. 'The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill' still sounds fresh. Plus, the songs tell stories that are still relevant today.

I dislike Lauryn Hill for only releasing 1 solo studio album in her career. For not making new music, wasting her talent and letting her fans down. How can you release a masterpiece like 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill' and then not release any other studio album in almost 20 years?! I mean.. come on! Imagine another Lauryn Hill album with the same quality as her debut. The world could use it. We deserve it.

End of rant.

*starts listening to 'The Miseducation..'*

My favourite Lauryn Hill songs:

01. Ex-Factor
02. Killing Me Softly (Fugees)
03. To Zion (+ Carlos Santana)
04. Everything Is Everything
05. Doo-Wop (That thing)
06. Turn Your Lights Down Low (+ Bob Marley)
07. Fu-Gee-La (Fugees)
08. Every Ghetto, Every City
09. Ready Or Not (Fugees)
10. If I Ruled The World (+ Nas)

11. Lost Ones
12. Music (+ Joss Stone)
13. Nothing Even Matters (+ D'Angelo)
14. I Used To Love Him (+ Mary J. Blige)
15. Superstar
16. No Woman, No Cry (Fugees)
17. The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill
18. Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
19. Final Hour
20. Forgive Them Father

Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:43 pm

I think I don't give Katy Perry enough credit. She's not the most exciting act in pop music for me, but she has had one of the most impressive catalogues among artists of the last 10 years. I think "Teenage Dream" works as a great signature song for her, but "Firework" is my favourite from her. I totally agree that she should've released "Walking on Air" and "Legendary Lovers" as singles. The Prism era is one that had so much potential.

Most of your favourite JT songs would make my list of faves from him, too. I think he's actually been one of the best males in pop music since 2000. He does need to cut it out with the unnecessarily lengthy songs, though. I hope his next album doesn't have multiple eight-minute-long tracks.

Amy Winehouse had so much soul, and the power of her music was a double-edged sword. She really connected with people because she was singing from an authentic place of distress, but it was ultimately those same demons that she was unable to overcome. :( I'm so happy she blessed us with Back to Black before she died, though. That one is probably among my Top 10 favourite albums of all-time.

Anastacia has a voice that wows me every time. "Staring at the Sun" is her most underrated song.

Lauryn Hill reminds me a bit of Amy in that I wish we got more solo material from her, but, unlike Amy, Lauryn doesn't have a good excuse for not releasing new music. "Everything Is Everything" and "To Zion" could hold me for another decade or two, though.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:16 am

Donna Summer. An absolute legend here. This woman has left her mark on the music industry with her impressive discography. Her soulful voice, disco beats and witty lyrics made Donna a true icon, in my opinion.

I didn't grow up listening to Donna Summers. As far as I can remember, my parents didn't listen to her (often). But somehow I've discovered her work over the years. She has many classics that you hear on the radio, in movies and while clubbing.
I'm pretty sure I would've scanned hard for Donna if I were around when she released her classics like 'On The Radio' and 'Hot Stuff.

My favourite Donna Summers songs:

01. Hot Stuff
02. On The Radio
03. Bad Girls
04. I Feel Love
05. Sunset People
06. I Love To Love You Baby
07. MacArthur Park
08. State Of Independence
09. Last Dance
10. Love Is In Control (Trigger On The Finger)

11. Working The Midnight Shift
12. She Works Hard For The Money
13. La Dolce Vita
14. Dim All The Lights
15. Je T'aime ... Moi Non Plus
16. This Time I Know It's For Real
17. Walk Away
18. The Woman In Me
19. The Wanderer
20. Our Love

Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:31 pm

Kelly Clarkson rose to fame when she won the first season of American Idol in 2002. Her debut album 'Thankful' spawned some hits, including the American Idol winner's single 'A Moment Like This', 'Low' and the Christina Aguilera penned 'Miss Independent'. I think 'Thankful' was a nice record with some strong songs on it, even though it was basically released to cash in on Kelly's popularity.

In 2005 Kelly released her best album to date (and one of the best records of the '00s): 'Breakaway'. The album was more personal to Kelly and the sound on the record was more pop rock, instead of the pop and soul mix on her debut album. 'Breakaway' quickly became a very personal record to me to, as I could relate to the lyrics of almost any song at the time. Teenage tragedy, haha.
Clarkson's third record 'My December got slammed by the critics, but I still think it was such a good follow-up to the huge era that 'Breakaway' was.

I must confess that Kelly hasn't been able to wow me ever since 'My December' (did I mention how much I LOVE 'Sober'?)
Yes, she's released quite some good tunes ('My Life Would Suck..', 'I Do Not Hook Up', 'Already Gone') and solid records, but somehow I cannot relate to her songs as much as I could when I was younger. I must say her last record 'Piece By Piece' was good too.

I wonder what kind of record Kelly will come out with next. I'm happy she's still having a good successful singing career after all these years. Talent wins.

My favourite Kelly Clarkson songs:

01. Since U Been Gone
02. Miss Independent
03. Behind Those Eyes
04. Sober
05. Low
06. Addicted
07. Breakaway
08. Beautiful Disaster
09. My life Would Suck Without You
10. A Moment Like This

11. Because Of You
12. Gone
13. The Trouble With Love Is
14. Tie It Up
15. Walk Away
16. Already Gone
17. Never Again
18. I Do Not Hook Up
19. Mr. Know It-All
20. People Like Us
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:53 am

'Songs In A Minor' is a classic. 'The Diary Of Alicia Keys'.. another classic. Alicia released two of my favourite albums back to back. What an amazing start of her career. Songs like 'Fallin', 'Troubles' and 'If I Ain't Got You' are timeless. I find it hard to pick my favourite out of the two records. All I know is that she hasn't grabbed me with her music ever since.

The albums Alicia released after 'The Diary..' were nice, but had more filler songs. Her latest album 'Here' however, was amazing. I thought she finally was back in full force when she released 'In Common'. Unfortunately the ers was a huge commercial flop.
I want her to experience a bit more with her sound and come back strong.

My favourite Alicia Keys songs:

01. Fallin'
02. Gangsta Lovin (+ Eve)
03. If I Ain't Got You
04. In Common
05. Troubles
06. Un-Thinkable
07. Diary
08. A Woman's Worth
09. Blended Family (What You Do For Love)
10. How Come You Don't Call Me

11. Butterflyz
12. You Don't Know My Name
13. No One
14. Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart
15. Teenage Love Affair
16. New Day
17. Lesson Learned (+ John Mayer)
18. Put It In A Love Song (+ Beyoncé)
19. Fire We Make
20. Empire State Of Mind (part II)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Fan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:02 am

Lauryn Hill <3
I remember seeing the video of Doo Wop all the time on TMF when I was little, such a bop. Everything Is Everything is a tune as well, but Ex-Factor has to be her best one. Glad to see you agree :P

I'm not that familiar with Donna, I obviously know songs like Hot Stuff and This Time I Know It's For Real, but she has never made a big impression on me.

Kelly has released so many good songs! I actually thought she would chart higher for you, always seemed like you were a big fan. Or maybe I just made that up :lol: I'm missing a couple of my favourite album tracks in your top 20 though (Don't Waste Your Time, Gone, One Minute).
I cannot hear If I Ain't Got You anymore, too overplayed, but there is no denying Alicia is a talent. No One is my jam. Fallin' is still very strong as well and You Don't Know My Name is effortlessly cool.
Fan
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:22 pm

YAY for Alicia. I love her so much.
'HERE' is probably my least favorite Album by her, I didn't feel the Sound of the Album that much. However, she has an amazing catalogue and her unreleased Songs are pretty strong, too.

I am glad to see you put "NEW DAY" in your Top 20 here, this song is so underrated , but one of my favorite Songs by her. such a feel good song.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:38 am

This may come as a surprise. I think most people don't even know who Lene Marlin is, to be honest haha. Still she made my list. Lene Marlin is a Norwegian singer that rose to fame in the late '90s with her hit single 'Sitting Down Here'. The super catchy pop tune was a huge hit in Europe and some parts of Asia. Her debut album 'Playing My Game' is one of my all-time favourite records.
It's a shame she didn't make it big with her other releases, as the album truly deserved more.

Although she's kind of an one-hit wonder in most countries, she has released a couple of more albums ever since her debut. I'd say her discography is flawless. Lene's last album 'Twist The Truth' was released in 2009. It doesn't look like Lene is planning on releasing new music anytime soon. Such a shame.

My favourite Lene Marlin songs:

01. Playing My Game
02. Unforgivable Sinner
03. Sitting Down Here
04. A Place Nearby
05. Where I'm Headed
06. Here We Are
07. Flown Away
08. Avalon (+ Lovebugs)
09. You Weren't There
10. Another Day

11. How Would It Be
12. The Way We Are
13. What If
14. One Year Ago
15. Maybe I'll Go
16. Blanket In A Park
17. Sorry
18. Everything's Good
19. You Could Have
20. Still Here
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:02 am

My mom is a huge Santana fan. When I was little she used to play a lot of their records. Her favourite Santana song is 'Maria Maria' - which has also become my favourite Santana song over the years. The iconic band around Carlos Santana has been active in the music industry ever since 1966. That's over 50 years ago! I must admit that I started to really like them ever since they released the 'Supernatural' album in 2000.

There's something about the way Carlos Santana plays the guitar. That sound is iconic. Santana has worked with legendary artists and that's what I like about their albums: it's the typical Santana sound combined with the vocals of great artists such as Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean, Jennifer Lopez, Dido and many more.

My favourite Santana songs:

01. Maria Maria (+ The G.B. Product + Wyclef Jean)
02. Smooth (+ Rob Thomas)
03. The Game Of Love (+ Michelle Branch)
04. This Boy's Fire (+ Jennifer Lopez + Baby Bash)
05. Feels Like Fire (+ Dido)
06. Put Your Lights On (+ Everlast)
07. I'm Feeling You (+ The Wreckers)
08. Cry Baby Cry (+ Sean Paul + Joss Stone)
09. Nothing At All (+ Musiq)
10. Amoré Sexo (+ Macy Gray)

11. Besos De Lejos (+ Gloria Estefan)
12. Corazón Espinando (+ Maná)
13. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (+ India.Arie)
14. Do You Like The Way (+ Lauryn Hill + Cee-Lo)
15. Hoy Es Adios
16. Why Don't You & I (+ Chad Kroeger)
17. La Flaca (+ Juanes)
18. You Are My Kind (+ Seal)
19. Primavera
20. Just Feel Better (+ Steven Tyler)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Wayne » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:06 pm

100 - Sugababes
Awesome girl group - probably my favourite British girl group of all-time. With that said, Flatline by MKS is better than any one Sugababes song - go figure!

99 - The Corrs
Flashback! I was obsessed with The Corrs for many years, they had a string of super singles! My favourite is probably the iconic Breathless.

I like some songs by Ed Sheeran, Maroon 5, OneRepublic, Natalia Kills etc.

91 - Solange

She gets a singular shout out for Losing You alone - one of my favourite songs of the decade.

90 - Delta Goodrem

Sitting On Top Of The World was my song of the year in whatever year it was released. :lol: She has a string of phenomenal songs but her best is without doubt, Born To Try - one of my favourite ballads of all-time.

87 - Paolo Nutini

Would rank inside my top 10 favourite artists of all-time - where do I start? 3 perfect albums, a stunningly good talent for singing, writing, playing and performing - he is the real deal, Britain's greatest male solo export of the last 15 years. He should be MASSIVE in America. I find it interesting that my all-time favourite Paolo song isn't in your top 20 - No Other Way.

83 - Robyn

She has lots of very good songs but she sometimes confuses me with her albums - The Body Talk trilogy being the perfect example of a brilliant idea that wasn't executed very well. I think she also has more hits than people give her credit for.

Usher, Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake, Sheryl Crow, Aerosmith, Outkast, Kesha, Black Eyed Peas, Macy Gray, Amy Winehouse all have songs I love.

73 - Anastacia

One of my early favourites, I was obsessed with her first three albums. Her self-titled is stunning and to this day, remains her best piece of work - it's amazing. She's completely lost me these days, I have no interest in anything she does.

Norah and Lauryn are both talented, with some songs I like.

70 - Donna Summer

The template for all big voiced female artists, LOVE Donna. She'd also rank in my top 10 favourite artists of all-time. THAT voice was incredible and her music was brilliant - she had a bit of a dip in quality but overall, an amazing career.

Kelly Clarkson, Alicia Keys and Santana are all quality - Kelly being my fave.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Mainshow » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:01 pm

First, I love it how passionate you are about this countdown. All the banners, the texts and your favourite tracks are really interesting to read and to encounter!

Let me just say that it's great to see Maroon 5 (I know I'm late) but I seriously think that they don't get enough credit. Of course, their style has completely changed but they are still creating hits and catchy tunes and their catalogue is quite impressive. They don't deserve to be mocked every time. I don't get the hate.

Anastacia is great! I have never been a huge fan of hers but her singles are usually quite impressive. It's lovely to read that you were already sold because of "I'm Outta Love". It's nice to be a fan of someone straight form the beginning and follow their (musical) steps and see them making progress. Haha and I completely agree with the "poor fashion choices"! :D And I am glad you like "Boom" too! So underrated! - I was thinking o doing a Top 10 of Anastacia as part of my new "Mainshow Goes Diva" series, too. I mean, her singles are on fire (especially after seeing your list!!!)

Amy Winehouse. Tragic. Her carreer was too short :(
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks for the replies guys.
I love reading your comments and thoughts.
<3
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:45 am

Dido where art thou? After releasing two monster hits of albums ('No Angel' and 'Life For Rent') Dido went off the radar. Yes, of course she's released more music, but it feels like she has disappeared off the face of the earth. The music she's releasing is still good, but it would be nice to hear more from her, every now and then. An interview or live performance for example.

From all the UK girls that made it big in the early '00s (Amy, Joss, Adele, Duffy) Dido is by far my favourite. She never disappoints, as all her albums are simply fantastic. I just wish she'd release more often. I could use another Dido album.

I feel like her latest two records, 'Safe Trip Home' and especially 'Girl Who Got Away' are very much underrated.

My favourite Dido songs:

01. Thank You
02. Here With Me
03. Sand In My Shoes
04. Hunter
05. Life For Rent
06. White Flag
07. NYC
08. Stoned
09. Feels Like Fire (+ Santana)
10. Girl Who Got Away

11. End Of Night
12. Everything To Lose
13. Don't Leave Home
14. Let Us Move On (+ Kendrick Lamar)
15. See You When You're 40
16. All You Want
17. Don't Believe In Love
18. This Land Is Mine
19. Don't Think Of Me
20. Feelin' Good (+ Faithless)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:44 pm

I think 'The Blueprint 2' was the very first album I bought by any male rapper. The main reason I bought it, was because of the Beyoncé-assisted single ''03 Bonnie & Clyde'. I did like JAY-Z at the time for his raps on Mariah's 'Heartbreaker' and Foxy Brown's 'I'll Be'. Of course I also really liked 'Hard Knock Life'. I did really like 'The Blueprint 2' and up till today it remains me favourite JAy_Z record (closely followed by 'part III').

I guess I particularly like Jay-Z's voice. He's probably not the greatest rapper, but I like listening to his songs. He's delivers solid records and is always a nice feature on other artists' songs.

For My Favourite JAY-Z songs I only picked songs where JAY's listed as the lead artist. I love many of his features like the ones mentioned above and of course all he songs he did together with his wife King B. Oh - and I'm still waiting for 'Watch The Throne 2'. Please make it happen.

My favourite JAY-Z songs:

01. N**** In Paris (+ Kanye West)
02. 99 Problems
03 . A Dream (+ Faith Evans + The Notorious B.I.G.)
04. The Watcher (+ Truth Hurts + Rakim)
05. '03 Bonnie & Clyde (+ Beyoncé)
06. Run This Town (+ Kanye West + Rihanna)
07. Dirt Off Your Shoulder
08. No Church In The Wild (+ Kanye West + Frank Ocean)
09. Forever Young (+ Mr. Hudson)
10. Lost One (+ Chrisette Michele)

11. D.O.A. (Death of AutoTune)
12. Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)
13. On To The Next One
14. Empire State Of Mind (+ Alicia Keys)
15. Lift Off (+ Beyoncé)
16. La-La-La (Excuse Me Ms. II)
17. Honey (+ R. Kelly)
18. Hollywood (+ Beyoncé)
19. Big Pimpin'
20. Guns & Roses (+ Lenny Kravitz)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:28 am

When Norwegian singer Maria Mena released her international debut single 'You're The Only One' I was sold. The witty lyrics of the song and her beautiful voice instantly grabbed me. 'You're The Only One' was released in 2004, followed by her international debut 'White Turns Blue'. Mena had already released two albums in Norway by then, titled 'Another Phase' and 'Mellow'.

I really liked 'White Turns Blue', but it wasn't until the follow-up album 'Apparently Unaffected' (2005) that I absolutely fell in love with Maria. The album spawned the singles 'Miss You Love', 'Our Battles' and 'Nevermind Me' and of course her big breakthrough hit 'Just Hold Me'. All the songs on the album are personal to me. I've seen Maria perform two or three times and she sounds amazing live. She has such a sweet and humble personality too.

After the success of 'Apparently Unaffected' Maria has released four more albums, 'Viktoria' (2011) being my favourite. She constantly delivers solid records with personal songs. Her last album 'Growing Pains' was released in 2015 and I really hope she will release another one next year.

My favourite Maria Mena songs:

01. Calm Under The Waves
02. Just Hold Me
03. You're The Only One
04. Habits (+ Mads Langer)
05. Homeless
06. Miss You Love
07. Lullaby
08. Fragile (Free)
09. These Shoes
10. I Don't Wanna See You With Her

11. I Always Liked That