Benji's Favourite Artists Ever (#036)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Benjamin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:54 am

I found it very hard to rank Gwen Stefani in this countdown. I wanted to rank her as a solo artist because the stuff she did with No Doubt is quite different. She also only released three studio albums, what makes it quite harder. I placed her at #62 with No Doubt still to come.

Gone is the definition of cool. Whens he released her solo debut 'Love Angel Music Baby' I was blown away. Everything was right about that era: the music, the lyrics, the videos, her style. She really took it to another level. Everything was so fresh. The 'L.A.M.B.' album remains my favourite Gwen solo record and one of the best albums of the '00s.

After the release of her solo debut expectations were high for her sophomore. Although 'The Sweet Escape' is a good record, it didn't live up to those expectations. The album's lead single 'Wind It Up' was risky, but became a minor hit eventually. The second single and title track was another story. 'The Sweet Escape' is one of the most catchy tunes I've ever heard. The son brings back good memories of me and my mom decorating the Christmas tree while listening to this song. She love Gwen Stefani and I think this is one of her favourites of hers.

It took Gwen way too long to release a proper follow up to 'The Sweet Escape'. I loved the record she did with No Doubt in between, but she should've released another solo album sooner. 'This Is What The Truth Feels Like' is a solid record with good songs, but to be honest it missed that freshness the previous albums had. I guess that's why she's not higher in my countdown.

Gwen is reportedly releasing new music later this year. The project is set to be a Christmas EP or album with original songs. Although I quite like the idea of a Gwen Christmas record, I would prefer her to release a proper fourth solo album. Also, I need her to work with Eve on a song again. These two ladies have great chemistry together.

My favourite Gwen Stefani songs:

01. What You Waiting For
02. Hollaback Girl
03. Let me Blow Ya Mind (+ Eve)
04. Rich Girl (+ Eve)
05. Bubble Pop Electric
06. The Real Thing
07. 4 In The Morning
08. Luxurious
09. The Sweet Escape
10. Cool

11. Make Me Like You
12. Orange County Girl
13. Yummy (+ Pharrell)
14. Early Winter
15. Baby Don't Lie
16. Used To Love You
17. Crash
18. Where Would I Be?
19. Wind It Up
20. Wonderful Life
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Fan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:39 am

Sitting Down Here is a modern classic, still play it a lot. Unforgivable Sinner and How Would It Be are tunes as well, but other than that I'm not that familiar with Lene. Should check out her back catalogue one day though.

Dido <33 Don't Leave Me is a bit low :( But good to see you ranked Here With Me that high, my absolutele favourite song by her. It can still give me chills after all these years.
Jay Z is a good call as well, I love his voice and his rap verses really bring something extra to a lot of songs (I can't imagine Umbrella without him).

Just Hold Me and All This Time are brilliant!

And Gwen! Totally agree with everything you wrote. The L.A.M.B. era was just the definition of cool and fresh, sad she could never live up to that again, although The Sweet Escape is one of my favourite songs from her. What You Waiting For!? is the uiltimate classic though. She literally blew me away with that one and the video- LOVE.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:54 am

Ricky Martin has quite an impressive career. Ever since he made his debut in 1991, he was a huge superstar in Latin America. It wasn't until 1997 that he got his big international debut with the super catchy 'María' single. Still my favourite Ricky single until today, by the way.

Ever since his big breakthrough, Ricky's international career has known ups and downs. He scored massive hits with songs like 'Livin' La Vida Loca' and 'Nobody Wants To Be Lonely', but after the release of the 'Sound Loaded' album (2001), he kind of vanished in the US and European market. While he failed to score another English hit in US/EU, his succes in Latin America was as big as ever. I feel like he started focusing on that market more by releasing more Spanish albums.

Ricky has scored quite some big hits in Latin America over the past couple of years, but when he released 'Vente Pa'Ca' with Colombian hottie Maluma, he finally scored another mega smash - and he truly deserved it. What a tune.
Hopefully Ricky will release another single soon. I'm also ready for a new album.

My favourite Ricky Martin songs:

01. María
02. La Copa De La Vida
03. Livin' La Vida Loca
04. Nobody Wants To Be Lonely (+ Christina Aguilera)
05. Private Emotion (+ Meja)
06. Adrenalina (+ Wisin & Jennifer Lopez)
07. Vente Pa'Ca (+ Maluma)
08. La Mordidita
09. Jaleo
10. Be Careful (+ Madonna)

11. She Bangs
12. Shake Your Bon-Bon
13. Frío (+ Wisin Y Yandel)
14. Más
15. I Don't Care (+ Amerie & Fat Joe)
16. She's All I Ever Had
17. La Bomba
18. Vuelve
19. Drop It On Me (+ Daddy Yankee)
20. Loaded
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:57 am

Let me start by saying Lil' Kim would've been much higher on this list, if I compiled it 10 years ago. I'm a huge Lil' Kim fan, I love her songs, her image, her lyrics.. everything, but I hate her ass for being such a lazy person. It has been forever since you released an album, Kimberley. No bueno.

Lil' Kim is the original bad bitch. Nicki Minaj 1.0. She deserves way more credit for her rap skills, lyrics, wordplay and her impeccable style in the '90s. She was the girl who as actually one of the boys. Kim paved way for female rappers like Nicki, Remy, Iggy and Cardi B. She stood her ground in a male dominated industry by turning rap into something sexy and feminine. She did it without shame. Her explicit lyrics and her sexy outfits were over the top. That's exactly what she needed.

Kim became more than just a rapper. She quickly became a pop star and fashion icon. The photo shoots she did with David LaChapelle are amazing. The way Donatella Versace dressed Kim - this outspoken girl from Brooklyn - did wonders for her.

About the music: Kim's albums all slayed. 'Hardcore' and 'The Notorious K.I.M.' are classics. She released so many good songs that we can define as classics too. It's a shame she's not getting all the credit she deserves. I wish he'd release another album to show everyone she still has IT. I'ma afraid Kim will be remember as the girl with the plastic face. Would be so sad.

My favourite Lil' Kim songs:

01. How Many Licks? (+ Sisqo)
02. The Jump Off
03. Lighters Up
04. I'm Human
05. Thug Luv (+ Twista)
06. No Matter What They Say
07. She Don't Love You
08. Ladies Night (+ Missy Elliott, Lisa Left Eye Lopes + Angie Martinez)
09. In The Air Tonite (+ Phil Collins)
10. Came Back For You

11. Magic Stick (+ 50 Cent)
12. Suck My D***
13. Aunt Dot (+ Lil' Shanice)
14. Whoa
15. (When Kim Say) Can You Hear Me Now? (+ Missy Elliott)
16. Lil' Drummer Boy (+ Cee-Lo & Method Man)
17. Last Day
18. Quiet (+ The Game)
19. Custom Made
20. No Time (+ Puff Daddy)

I'd also like to mention some songs Kim featured on, that are truly fantastic: Christina Aguilera's ' Can't Hold Us Down', Method Of Mayhem's 'Get Naked', Keyshia Cole's 'Let It Go', Missy Elliott's 'Hit 'Em With A Hee' and of course Kim's collaboration with Christina, P!nk and Mya, 'Lady Marmalade'.

Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:11 am

Blondie: the iconic band around Debbie Harry. A living legend in my opinion. The band's discography is flawless and even after all this years Blondie still makes good music. The band released their latest album 'Pollinator' earlier this year. Debbie turned 72 years old this year and is still rocking it. What a queen.

I didn't grow up listening to Blondie as i'm obviously way too young. But, I remember hearing classics like 'The Tide Is High' and 'Denis' on the radio. I fell in love with the band when they released their 1999 album 'No Exit'. The album's lead single 'Maria' has become one of my all-time favourite songs. The song's the definition of cool.

Over the years I have discovered more classic Blondie tunes and I've started to appreciate their music even more. I have to mention 'Sugar On The Side', the song they released in 2013 as part of the 'Ghost of Download' album. That song has become one of my all-time favourite Blondie tracks. Go check it out.

My favourite Blondie songs:

01. Maria
02. One Way Or Another
03. Sugar On The Side
04. Heart of Glass
05. Rapture
06. Denis
07. The Tide Is High
08. What I Heard
09. Atomic
10. No Exit

11. Nothing Is Real Bu The Girl
12. Call Me
13. Union City State
14. Good Boys
15. Die Young Stay Pretty
16. A Rose By Any Name
17. Dreaming
18. I'm Gonna Love You Too
19. Rock On
20. Slow Motion

Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Mainshow » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:49 am

Ricky Martin deserves more love!
I am glad that he is kinda high on your countdown!
I have not been a huge fan of his latest singles but his previous album was really amazing!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:32 pm

What an impact have the Spice Girls made on pop music and pop culture. With only two studio albums with the five girls together (+ 1 after Geri left) the Spice Girls have become iconic. Girlpower is now immortal, thanks tot hese five girls from the UK. Their music was pure pop music at its best. 'Wannabe' has become such a phenomenon. An iconic song.

I was a huge fan of the Spice Girls when I was growing up. I always fancied Geri a little bit. She easily is my favourite, followed by Mel B and Emma. Never really liked Mel C or Victoria. I was devastated when Geri left the girls in 1998. I remember hearing the news, I was shook haha.

My favourite Spice Girls songs:

01. Viva Forever
02. Say You'll Be There
03. Wannabe
04. Who Do You Think You Are
05. Spice Up Your Life
06. Love Thing
07. Mama
08. 2 Become 1
09. If U Can't Dance
10. Stop

11. If You Wanna Have Some Fun
12. Too Much
13. Holler
14. Goodbye
15. Naked
16. Let Love Lead The Way
17. Saturday Night Divas
18. Last Time Lover
19. Never Give Up On The Good Times
20. Move Over

My favourite Geri songs:

01. Look At Me
02. Mi Chico Latino
03. Summertime
04. Walkaway
05. Someone's Watching Over Me
06. Bag It Up
07. It's Raining Men
08. Lift Me Up
09. Ride It
10. Scream If You Wanna Go Faster

My favourite Mel B songs:

01. I Want You back (+ Missy Elliott)
02. Hotter
03. Tell Me
04. Word Up
05. Feeling' So Good
06. Lullaby
07. Hell No
08. Today
09. Step Inside
10. ABC 123

My favourite Emma Bunton songs:

01. What Took You So Long?
02. What I Am (+ Tin Tin Out)
03. Crickets Sing For Anamaria
04. Maybe
05. We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight
06. Amazing (+ Luis Fonsi)
07. Take My Breath Away
08. A Girl Like Me
09. Free Me
10. I'll Be There

My favourite Mel C songs:

01. Never Be The Same Again (+ Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes)
02. I Turn To You
03. Go
04. Northern Star
05. Goin' Down
06. Ga Ga
07. Reason
08. Feel The Sun
09. On The Horizon
10. Yeh Yeh Yeh

My favourite Victoria Beckham songs:

01. Let Your Head Go
02. Not Such An Innocent Girl
03. Out Of Your Mind (+ True Steppers & Dane Bowers)
04. This Groove
05. Midnight Fantasy
06. A Mind Of Its Own
07. That Kind Of Girl
08. Girlfriend
09. No Trix, No Games
10. Unconditional Love
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:32 am

Yes, he's a douche. Yes, he has a big mouth and even bigger ego. But yes, he's an amazing artist. A great rapper with a sense for good beats, lyrics, style and image. Kanye West, hated by many for his personality, but praised for his work. It's the same for me really. I don't like him as a person, but I think his discography is flawless. I love how he continues to deliver great music. I honestly think he's one of the best rappers of all-time.

It's hard to pick my favourite Kanye album. I absolutely love his collaborative album 'Watch The Throne' with JAY-Z. I think either '808s & Heartbreaks' or 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' is my favourite solo Kanye record. Both are amazing.

My favourite Kanye West songs:

01. Stronger
02. N**** In Paris (+ JAY-Z)
03. Homecoming (+ Chris Martin)
04. Diamonds From Sierra Leone
05. Monster (+JAY-Z, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver)
06. Heartless
07. Love Lockdown
08. Jesus Walks
09. All Falls Down (+ Syleena Johnson)
10. No Church In The Wild (+ JAY-Z + Frank Ocean)

11. Fade
12. Blood On The Leaves
13. Flashing Lights
14. Runaway
15. Lost In The World (+Bon Iver)
16. Blame Game (+ John Legend)
17. All Of The Lights
18. Gold Digger (+ Jamie Foxx)
19. Power
20. Coldest Winter
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Wayne » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Not a huge fan of Ricky but I like some of his songs.

Kanye is a horrid person but has some great songs.

Like the Spice Girls, insanely good discography. My favourite is probably also yours.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby biscuits » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:23 pm

First I was happy to see Last Time Lover in your top 20, but then I realised it's your second least favourite song on Spice :cry:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Benjamin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:04 pm

biscuits wrote:First I was happy to see Last Time Lover in your top 20, but then I realised it's your second least favourite song on Spice :cry:
Haha :lol:
Yeah, I like it - but it's simply not one of my faves on the 'Spice' album.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Florence + The Machine is one of the most interesting new artists of the '00s. I believe they brought something new to the table of pop and indie music. When I first saw the video for 'Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)' on MTV, I thought it was weirdly entertaining. The song quickly got stuck in my head and before I knew it I started to love it. Florence's debut album 'Lungs' is a very solid album that definitely made it's mark. Other favourites on the album are the underrated 'Hurricane Drunk' and 'Drumming Song'.

I think Florence's sophomore album 'Ceremonials' is their best yet. The album is a masterpiece and contains no single filler. My absolute favourites are 'Spectrum' and 'Seven Devils'. The latter was used in a key episode of the serie Revenge, which made the song and scene absolutely iconic for me. The song is pure evil and I love it.

Florence's third album was a bit of a letdown for me. I did really enjoy it, but after the amazing 'Ceremonials' they couldn't live up to my expectations. Maybe they were a little too high. The album gave us some great songs though. I hope a fourth album is coming soon. I'd love another Florence record soon.

My favourite Florence + The Machine songs:

01. Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)
02. Spectrum
03. Seven Devils
04. Breath Of Life
05. Hurricane Drunk
06. What The Water Gave Me
07. Queen Of Peace
08. What Kind Of Man
09. Drumming Song
10. Only If For A Night

11. No Light, No Light
12. Never Let Me Go
13. Shake It Out
14. Dog Days Are Over
15. You've Got The Love
16. Long & lost
17. Delilah
18. Ship To Wreck
19. Breaking Down
20. Kiss With A Fist
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:43 pm

One of the best girl groups of all-time. The first Destiny's Child album I got into was 'The Writings On The Wall'. My friend gave it to me because he didn't like it. I loved it and I think it's still their best record. All the singles released from 'The Writings..' are classics. It's a shame they didn't release 'So Good' as a single though. Definitely one of my fave DC songs.

Even though Destiny's Child always was 'The Big Beyoncé Show', I really think the girls had good chemistry together. I'm obviously talking about the DC3 formation: Beyoncé, Kelly and Michelle. Even though Bee has become the most successful solo singer by far, during the DC3 days Michelle was my favourite. There's just something about her voice. I never had a thing for Kelly.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of Destiny's Child. It's a shame the girls didn't do reunion for the fans. One big comeback performance - and maybe a new single - would've been so great. I'm sure the fans were here for it. Oh well.. guess the girls are working on more solo music. That's fine too.

My favourite Destiny's Child songs:

01. Jumpin' Jumpin'
02. Survivor
03. Independent Women Part 1
04. So Good
05. Bills, Bills, Bills
06. Bootylicious
07. Bug-A-Boo
08. Say My Name
09. Fancy
10. Lose My Breath

11. Happy Face
12. Soldier (+ T.I. & Lil' Wayne)
13. Through With Love
14. Nasty Girl
15. Confessions (+ Missy Elliott)
16. No, No, No (+ Wyclef Jean)
17. Bad Habit
18. Cater 2 U
18. T-Shirt
20. 8 Days Of Christmas
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby stevyy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:21 am

florence :o she is so good. I also love Kanye... altho he really did drop in quality in recent years.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:24 am

Florence hasn't aged well for me in general, but Rabbit Heart is one of the rare ones I still love. Something about it is very magical!
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Who's that girl? la la la la la la EVE's that girl. la la la la la la
Whenever 'Who's That Girl' gets played in a bar of club, the crowd goes crazy. I have yet to meet the first person who doesn't like the song. 'Who's That Girl' and it's follow-up single 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind' became two of the biggest hits of 2001 and still sound fresh 16 years after their release. Both songs are featured on Eve's (international) breakthrough album 'Scorpion', that also spawned the single 'Got What U Need'.

A year after the successful release of 'Scorpion', Eve released 'Eve-Olution', another studio album. The record features the Alicia Keys-assisted hit 'Gangsta Lovin'. By the time of the release of 'Eve-Olution' I became a big Eve fan. I got into her older records and collaborations with Missy Elliott, Angie Stone and City High. I think Eve always delivers a good verse on her own songs, but also as a featured rapper on other tracks. it's a shame she's not around that much anymore.

Although not many people would include Eve in this countdown, I'm glad I did. She's one of my fave rappers and I hope she will release another album soon. her 2013 album 'Lip Lock' deserved much more. She released the wrong singles, but songs like 'Mama In The Kitchen' and 'Keep Me From You' should've been huge hits

My favourite Eve songs:

01. Who's That Girl
02. Let Me Blow Ya Mind (+ Gwen Stefani)
03. Gangsta Lovin' (+ Alicia Keys)
04. Tambourine
05. Gangsta Bitches (+ Trina & Da Brat)
06. What (+ Truth Hurts)
07. Keep Me From You (+ Dawn Richard)
08. Give It To You (+ Sean Paul)
09. Mam In The Kitchen (+ Snoop Dogg)
10. Satisfaction

11. Eve (+ Miss Kitty)
12. Love Is Blind (+ Faith Evans)
13. She Bad Bad
14. Gotta Man
15. Party In The Rain (+ Mashonda)
16. All Night
17. Hey Y'All (+ Snoop Dogg & Nate Dogg)
18. Wanna Be (+ Missy Elliott & Nacho)
19. Irresistible Chick
20. Got What U Need
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby biscuits » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Benjamin wrote:My favourite Spice Girls songs:

05. Spice Up Your Life
06. Love Thing
07. Mama
08. 2 Become 1
09. If U Can't Dance
11. If You Wanna Have Some Fun
12. Too Much
13. Holler
14. Goodbye
18. Last Time Lover
19. Never Give Up On The Good Times

My favourite Mel B songs:

01. I Want You back (+ Missy Elliott)
03. Tell Me
05. Feels So Good
07. Hell No
08. Today

My favourite Mel C songs:

04. Northern Star

My favourite Victoria Beckham songs:

02. Not Such An Innocent Girl
04. This Groove
05. Midnight Fantasy
Like all of these. 'Midnight Fantasy' is a guilty pleasure :oops:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Benjamin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Prince Rogers Nelson, mostly known a just Prince, a.k.a. The Artist a.k.a. The Artist Formerly Known As Prince. A true legend. A visionair that was taken away too soon. Luckily Prince left a great discography for us to enjoy. During his career Prince has released 39 studio albums. His debut 'First One' was released in 1978, his last one 'HITnRun' was released in 2015, only four months before his death.

I didn't grow up with Prince. My parents never really played his records as far as I can remember. But, when '1999' was re-released (in 1999) I first discovered Prince. My dad bought the CD single and I remember him playing in and dancing to it in the living room with me and my mom. Such good memories. It's probably why '1999' is my favourite Prince song too.

Over the years I discovered more of Prince's legacy. I love the classics like 'Purple Rain' and 'Little Red Corvette', but also really enjoyed his more recent work. I think 'Clouds' (featuring Lianne La Havas) and 'Fallinlove2nite' (featuring Zooey Deschanel, of all people) are among his best work.

My favourite Prince songs:

01. 1999
02. Purple Rain
03. Little Red Corvette
04. Fallinlove2nite ( + Zoeey Deschanel)
05. When Doves Cry
06. Kiss
07. Clouds (+ Lianne La Havas)
08. Let's Go Crazy
09. Fury
10. Sign o' The Times

11. Te Amo Corazón
12. Peach
13. Black Sweat
14. Sexy MF
15. New Power Generation
16. Controversy
17. Girls & Boys
18. Raspberry Beret
19. I Would Die 4 U
20. Letitgo
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:20 pm

The queen of rock and roll: the one and only Tina Turner. I love Tina and I feel like she's criminally underrated as an artist. When people mention divas, they usually mention Mariah, Madonna, Cher and Celine - but I think people forget about Tina. She belongs to that list in my opinion. The question always is: who is the new Madonna? It never is: who is the new Tina Turner? Funny, because I think Beyoncé (for example) is more comparable to Tina than to Madonna. Just my opinion, of course.

I have mad respect for Tina. I like all her music and I think she's released many classics. It's a shame she sometimes seems forgotten about. I think she's one of those artists that people remember they loved when she passes away. Weird thing to say, but I think it's the truth. Anyways, LOVE YOU Tina. Thank you for the music.

My favourite Tina Turner songs:

01. What's Love Got To Do With It
02. The Best
03. GoldenEye
04. Cose Della Vita (+ Eros Ramazzotti)
05. Proud Mary
06. When the Heartache's Over
07. Private Dancer
08. I Can't Stand The Rain
09. Disco Inferno
10. Steamy Windows

11. Nutbush City Limits
12. Whole Lotta Love
13. We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome)
14. Foreign Affair
15. Let's Stay Together
16. Way Of The World
17. Help!
18. Look Me In The Heart
19. Afterglow
20. I Don't Wanna Fight
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Brandy was one of the teenage stars of the '90s that made it big. Not only she had her own tv show, she scored hit after hit with songs like 'I Wanna Be Down', 'Have You Ever?' and of course the Monica duet 'The Boy Is Mine'. Brandy was sitting on top of the world and quickly became one of the biggest pop stars of her generation. I liked her before, but when she released the 'Full Moon' album I became a fan.

The 'Full Moon' album was next level. 'What About Us' and 'Full Moon' (song) are underrated and are classics in my book. The latter became my all-time favourite Brandy song. It still sounds fresh after all those years. The follow-up to the 'Full Moon' album, 'Afrodisiac', was also good, but Brandy really touched me with the release of 'Human'. That album has many gems. 'Fall' being my absolute favourite.

It's time for new Brandy music. As of late, she's only been in the limelight for talking bad about other people. She really should learn to let things go and start making great music again. The 2016 single 'Beggin' & Pleadin' was quite nice. I need more.

My favourite Brandy songs:

01. Full Moon
02. The Boy Is Mine (+ Monica)
03. What About Us
04. Fall
05. He Is
06. Piano Man
07. Have You Ever?
08. Top Of The World (+ Mase)
09. Right Here (Departed)
10. Talk About Our Love (+ Kanye West)

11. Should I Go
12. Who Is She 2 U?
13. Afrodisiac
14. I Wanna Be Down
15. Sittin' Up In My Room
16. Another Day In Paradise (+ Ray J)
17. Never Say Never
18. I Thought
19. Camouflage
20. Almost Doesn't Count
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:21 am

Too many fantastic artists have fallen since I last visited this thread.

I have to give a special shout-out to:

Kelly Clarkson - possibly the greatest American Idol graduate

Kanye West - arguably the greatest rapper of all-time, and probably my all-time favourite hip/hop act

Tina Turner - a survivor in every sense of the word; her music is far more accessible than I thought it would have been

Brandy - she has such a special voice!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:10 am

JSparksFan wrote:Kanye West - arguably the greatest rapper of all-time, and probably my all-time favourite hip/hop act
Glad i'm not the only one who thinks that :)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:25 am

M.I.A. is one of the most unique artists out there. She really has her own unique sound and style and makes music with a (political) message. I guess you either love or hate her, but no one can deny she's doing her own thing. I respect her for that. Luckily for me, I really love her music and music videos.

Her debut album 'Arular' was a solid record. I remember playing 'Sunshowers' and 'Bucky Done Gun' a lot. I also remember my mom hating on those songs, especially the latter. She found it 'too repetitive'. 'Arular' was good album, but when M.I.A. released her sophomore record 'Kala' I really fell in love. For me, it remains her best record. 'Bamboo Banga' being my favourite M.I.A. song ever. She really should have released a music video for it.

Over the years M.I.A. has released many good songs. I must give a shout out to 'Borders'. Not only a great song with a good message - but its music video is one of the best released in the past few years. Strong and powerful.

My favourite M.I.A. songs:

01. Bamboo Banga
02. Boyz
03. Bucky Done Gun
04. Bad Girls
05. Jimmy
06. XXXO
07. Born Free
08. Borders
09. World Town
10. Sunshowers

11. Go Off
12. Paper Planes
13. P.O.W.A.
14. Hussel
15. Y.A.L.A.
16. 20 Dollar
17. Freedun (+ ZAYN)
18. Galang
19. Finally
20. Mango Picle Down River
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Benjamin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:42 pm

Sophie-Ellis Bextor is well known for her massive 2002 hit 'Murder On The Dancefloor' and her collaborations with dance acts Freemasons and Spiller, but UK's finest dance diva has much more to offer. Not only has she released many more dance pop hits, Sophie also released two non-dance albums: 'Wanderlust' and 'Familia'. Even though I prefer her dance tracks, I must admit her more folky stuff is also very good. 'Young Blood' for example, has become one of my favourite Sophie singles.

I hope Sophie will return to her dance/pop roots for her next record. I'm ready for another 'Read My Lips' or 'Trip The Light Fantastic'. That said, I'm here for any kind of Sophie-Ellis Bextor album. She never disappoints.

My favourite Sophie-Ellis Bextor songs:

01. Murder On The Dancefloor
02. Groove Jet (+ Spiller)
03. Today The Sun's On Us
04. Take Me Home
05. Get Over You
06. Music Gets The Best Of Me
07. Young Blood
08. Catch You
09. I Won't Change You
10. If I Can't Dance

11. Heartbreak (Make Me A Dancer) (+ Freemasons)
12. F*** With You (+ Bob Sinclar)
13. Not Giving Up On Love (+ Armin van Buuren)
14. Starlight
15. Come With Us
16. Bittersweet
17. Mixed Up World
18. Runaway Daydreamer
19. Wild Forever
20. New York City Lights
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Wayne » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:54 pm

Tina Turner & Prince are legendary acts. I've always found Tina to be so underrated amongst music fans.

Also like a lot of Sophie's music!
Wayne
Administrator

Return to Personal Charts