Akini's Tribute to Madonna: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

 

From which album is my favourite Madonna song lifted?

Madonna
0
No votes
Like a Virgin
0
No votes
True Blue
1
5%
Like a Prayer
7
37%
Erotica
4
21%
Bedtime Stories
1
5%
Ray of Light
4
21%
Music
0
No votes
American Life
0
No votes
Confessions on a Dance Floor
1
5%
Hard Candy
0
No votes
MDNA
1
5%
Rebel Heart
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 19

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:13 am

Thanks for the comments, guys!

MusicLover88 wrote:So it's between Like a Prayer, Hung Up, Papa Don't Preach, Ghosttown and...?
This clearly forgettable 90s single. :lol:

JakeP wrote:I never did buy Hard candy so i've never heard this track before. Gave it a listen on YouTube and...well, 4 minutes remains my favourite song i know from the album. :lol: I don't mind Devil wouldn't recognise you but for me its far from sounding like a classic Madonna song, and i can see why it wasn't chosen as a single. Sorry Akini. :cry:
Ah, maybe it's a grower. I'd at least give it a second chance. :wink:

JakeP wrote:Aww, i quite like Rain although again its not really considered one of her signature tracks. This is more of an underrated gem but when it comes to Madonna ballads, i do prefer some of her others more.
Glad we can agree that "Rain" is underrated.

JakeP wrote:Ok, i'm gonna stand by Akini on this one. Haters shoo!!! :lol: Yes, i don't think its an amazing masterpiece but ultimately i don't think its anywhere near as terrible as so many people make it out to be. Personally, i think fans just expected Madonna to always deliver with each new lead single to kickstart the next era and this was ill received. Just a shame it wasn't called Gimme all your luvin' as G.a.y. luvin' would've been a fabulous acronym. :lol:
Yay! 8-)

And that would have been PERFECT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

JakeP wrote:...speaking of fabulous, darling! :P Vogue really is the crème de la crème of homoerotic pop gorgeousness! Yes, i'm a big fan of this song, easily one of my favourite Madonna singles and would easily be in my top 10 as well. I love the music video, it visual element is the perfect accompaniment to the song. A very clever concept and one that was executed amazingly well. :D
I think "Vogue" is one of Madonna's universally accepted gems. Its greatness is difficult to dispute.

JakeP wrote:How do you follow up the mighty Like a prayer? When the lead single is as culturally groundbreaking as that song was, releasing Express yourself as the follow up was an excellent choice. I don't know who produced Madonna's songs in the 80s but i loved that club dance vibe you get from songs such as this and also heard in Open your heart. It just gives the song a real boost and sells the song tremendously. As for the song itself, its another of those original girl power songs and let's be honest there weren't exactly many other female artists around at the time who could pull this type of song off. Maybe Cyndi Lauper? Love this song although i do prefer Vogue more.
Yeah, I agree that "Like a Prayer" is a tough act to follow, but "Express Yourself" is a worthy follow-up. I think either Paula Abdul or Cyndi Lauper would have done a decent job with the song, because the song is very much in that bubblegum pop vein that both women did quite well with, but Madonna brings a kind of energy I don't think they would've been able to match.

JakeP wrote:Looking forward to seeing how the top 5 pans out. Am i allowed to say which song i don't think will be your #1 (because it's too predictable? :wink: :P ).
Of course. Express yourself, Jake. :wink:

BodyShop wrote:Like i say ,it's always interesting to share opinions about such a diverse discography as Madonna's.

For example ,to my taste, nothing would EVER rank lower than MDNA as it is ,by all means ,her worst record with a handful of her worst ,most uninspired and generic songs to date .
It's clear she only made that album due to contract obligations and how she wasn't into it at all ,for several reasons -the most important one being how long it took her to finish W.E. and still being involved in the final stages of the editing process + promotion.
It's mindblowing to think a perfectionist like Madonna would record a full studio album in aroud 2 weeks. That alone gives an idea of how half-assed MDNA was.
But let me stop being such a bitchy bitter Queen and move on :lol:

Bedtime Stories is an interesting case for me.
I love basically all of the songs on it and my favorite Madonna song is in that album as well but for some weird reason,I dont rank it as one of my faves albums.
I feel like you go track after track thinking "that one's cool ,lemme check the next one", then the next one comes and you keep waiiting for that climax to happen ,but it doesn't.
I feel like it's an album that keeps you on the edge of your seat waiting for that magical moment ,but it doesn't come lol

Music is fantastic and unique . American Life is an album that took me years to learn how to appreciate,but I do now.

Ray of Light is a masterpiece and deserving of all the praise it gets. Same for Like A Prayer . When Rolling Stone wrote it's the closest thing pop would ever come to quality, they knew what they were talking about ;)

The first three albums work ,for me ,as a crescendo. It's clear hiw much she evolved as the years passed and how great of an artist she would still be . That's why it irks me whenever someone says her first album is her best :roll: like,ok..... Next ,please !

Erotica is superb! The variety of subjects she talks about and how sophisticated the sound is on most of the tracks are is amazing . once again,a huge step forward.

Confessions has been a favorite since the very first listen. Future Lovers ranks within my top 20

Hard Candy is ok. Full of bops kind of album. But can't feel anything really deep. It's very cohesive though and not remotely as bad as some try to make it be,although i can understand where do they come from and give them a pass on that.

Rebel Heart is a pretty solid one. I think that had Interscope agreed with Madonna's idea of releasing a double album -one disk called Rebel for the mid/uptempo songs and Heart for the soft songs /ballads - the reception would've been better.
In spite of anything ,even haters seem to agree it's a step into the right direction for her.
Living For Love, Joan of Arc,Veni Vidi Vici,Rebel Heart,Messiah,Beautiful Scars,Borrowed Time,Addicted,are among my favorites of all time. So,that alone must mean something.
Well, having a brief recording period doesn't always mean the output will be mediocre. I think some of the best songs ever were composed within 10 minutes. MDNA does have some moments of laziness, especially in the lyrical department, but the songs that are strong are often overlooked. I can understand your frustration, though. I felt exactly the same when Jordin Sparks followed up Battlefield, one of my favourite albums ever, with the tepid Right Here, Right Now.

I think Bedtime Stories has an understated beauty that really appeals to me. Even its best track, "Love Tried to Welcome Me," isn't anything really in-your-face. It's wrought with pain and sadness and hopeless despair, and crafted like the saddest poem you've ever read, but it's a slow dance from start to finish.

I definitely disagree that Music is fantastic. None of its tracks cracked my Top 100, and I must admit that it was an album I struggled to get through.

I do agree with you on her first three albums. I think her first album had a few missteps, but more successes than some people give it credit for, the second album was a bit of a sophomore slump, and the third managed to combine all the things that were right with the first two LPs.

Erotica was the most pleasant surprise for me. I didn't expect to like it at all, and it turned out to be one of my favourite albums, with a very special song on it that floored me.

Ah, I didn't know that was Madonna's plan for Rebel Heart! I love the idea. It's like Beyoncé's I Am...Sasha Fierce double disc idea, which worked brilliantly. I do agree that the album was a step in the right direction. Its highs were brilliant.

toni_pest wrote:give me all ya luvin :lol: bye akini.
It wouldn't be a countdown of mine without some controversy, would it? :lol:

cheapthrills wrote:OK, FINE, I'm back. Curiosity got the best of me and I had to see what craziness was in store for the top 10. I am still not forgiving you for some of your placings though ;)

Anyhow, not sure when I was back here, so just some notes on the top 20:
* Enjoy the love True Blue got - such a great throwback for Madonna and a different style for her (at the time).
* Gosh, I haven't listened to Who's That Girl in forever - seems like that song got lost in the shuffle of her many hits over the years. Maybe I associate this one too much with the goofy movie from which it came to Have to disagree on how it compares to La Isla Bonita, which really does transplant me to the tropics.
*I feel like I'm required to like Holiday because it was her first break-out hit. It's cute and deserves a decentplacement, but it never seems to go anywhere to me. I'd love to sub Burning Up here.
* Sorry/Jump - True standouts on that album and I'm glad they placed so high :)
* Give Me All Your Luvin' - just no, wyd there? The L U V Madonna chants don't scream charming to me, but are immature and out of place. And M.I.A. just shouldn't be a part of this at all. Look, I cheered when it went top 10 after the Super Bowl because it gave Madonna a top ten for this decade (and possibly final top ten ever. :cry: ), but that placement is overrated.
* The list does get redeemed with signature hits Vogue and Express Yourself though. They are both so iconic!

Did the song Supernatural make your list? Guessing not, since I think it was only ever a B side. But it's a regular part of my Halloween mix, so I thought I'd check. :)

As for the albums countdown, I'd say you nailed that, with the exception of Like a Virgin being so low.
I'm glad that you came back. :D

I think "Vogue" and "Express Yourself" are redeeming me sanity-wise. :lol:

I have not heard "Supernatural". There are a few songs I ended up missing out, like "American Pie", and "Crazy for You", but none of the forgotten songs would have ended up high anyway. I'll try to check out "Supernatural" later tonight.

Glad that we're more in sync on the albums ranking!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 44645
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby BodyShop » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:32 am

Supernatural is AMAZING ! Glad it got mentioned here :D
User avatar
BodyShop
Manager
 
Posts: 2243
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015

Postby MusicLover88 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:01 am

Oh my god how could I forget Deeper and Deeper. I adore that song. Such a lovely surprise to hear it on the RH tour.
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
User avatar
MusicLover88
Manager
 
Posts: 4889
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013
Location: Canada

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:25 am

005. Ghosttown

Image

Sophisticated and polished, "Ghosttown" is a mature, deeply romantic ballad that I feel is exactly the kind of music Madonna should be recording at this point in her career. It's fresh, hinted with a tinge of melodrama, and has this majestic aura about it that feels like it's sung by royalty, and I suppose few fit the bill for music royalty better than Madonna. The declaration that even if the entire world disintegrates, you and your lover will still find a way to be together is a pledge of loyalty that I find to be the ultimate expression of love. When this song failed to make a dent on the charts, I blamed ageism, sexism, poor taste among the general population - there is no reason "Ghosttown" should not proudly sit among Madonna's golden collection of classics, and despite its abysmal commercial impact, for me, it is one of her finest trophies, and tangible proof that even after all these years, Madonna can still hold her own against the best of the current crop of pop artists. "Ghosttown" is confirmation that, though the King may be dead, the Queen is very much alive. 10/10
004. Hung Up

Image

An ABBA sample has never been put to better use. It took years for me to appreciate the eclectic melody, but eventually this made its way into the upper echelons of my list of Madonna favourites. Madonna's best dance-pop songs seem to have strong disco influences, and the throbbing beat, borrowed synth instrumental, and clever ticking insertions contribute to the melding of a truly timeless product. It's irresistibly catchy, with a subtle, dark undertone that just adds to the addictive concoction. 10/10
003. Papa Don't Preach

Image

Blending an instrumental highlighted by the cheerful effervescence that characterises the entire True Blue album, with the highly controversial topics of teenage pregnancy and abortion, "Papa Don't Preach" was, at one point in time, my favourite Madonna song, as it's an apt representation of the brilliance of Madonna's music that I've come to adore and respect so much. There's also a youthful optimism in "Papa Don't Preach" that I absolutely adore. The protagonist acknowledges that the situation is not ideal, but believes that she and her boyfriend's love will be able to triumph even pitted against this event that so frequently divides even the most seemingly intact unions. As powerful as the subject matter is, I have to be a bit shallow and comment on just how insanely powerful the hook is. It's rich, lush, timeless, memorable - it's Madonna very close to her 80s best. 10/10
002. Like a Prayer

Image

No female pop artist in history has a song that is as universally acclaimed as "Like a Prayer". Even discounting all the musical snobs that decided that this is the one female pop song among all others deserving of zealous praise, I've seen even in my personal life how this song impacts people. My mother, my sister, and I would each rank this among our all-time favourite songs, and for three people with such distinct music tastes to convene and accept and acknowledge the brilliance of a single song, there has to be something innately magical about "Like a Prayer". It's been remixed even among popular reggae artists in the Caribbean, and it's really taken on a life on its own outside of the Madonna realm. Madonna does something quite dangerous here, mixing sexual pleasure with religion, and it's that gumption that inspires so much awe and respect from me. The choir elevates this song to an ethereal level, the video is a masterclass in the department of art and lyrical interpretation, the eclectic fusion of pop, rock, gospel, and funk is hugely imaginative and inimitable, and somehow, even after all these years, it somehow manages to sound better each time I play it. One day Madonna's mortality will betray her, and the world will weep that our beloved Queen of Music has departed, and we will play "Like a Prayer" at all ends of the Earth and remember the legend we took for granted, and be grateful that she's left us masterpieces that will live on in the annals of music history forever. Having said all this, she does have a superior song. 10/10
001. Deeper and Deeper

Image

This song is the reason this countdown exists. I had no reason to even dream of finding a song to match "Like a Prayer" or "Papa Don't Preach". For years, those had been the pillars of Madonna's discography, and I loved them to the extent where I would've been quite content in my exploration of Madonna's catalogue if there weren't a song even close to those two, because how could she have an even better song? How could she? Then I played this song, and everything changed. As a young, gay man living in a region that's openly and sometimes cruelly homophobic, the protagonist's tale in "Deeper and Deeper" really spoke to me. This gay man exploring his sexuality, with two very powerful forces accompanying him - the support, love, and unfiltered acceptance of his mother, and the admonishment, disapproval, and disappointment of his father. There's a tug-of-war type of internal conflict within him, as what feels natural and true and right contradicts the 'moulding' from his dad, and likely the social conditioning he was subject to for several decades. Finally, after the internal turmoil, triumph, and not just any triumph, but full-out, unabashed, roaring triumph expressed with an interpolation of the gayest song ever, "Vogue", an anthem that symbolises the zenith of self-acceptance. It's a climax that delivers a happy ending, and LGBT stories don't often have happy endings. For me, "Deeper and Deeper" is a journey expressed through a song, and it so closely parallels my journey that I'm admittedly partial to it. It's rare that a song makes me cry, empowers me, moves me to dance, and grants so much hope. Madonna may have better written songs in "Love Tried to Welcome Me", bigger classics in "Express Yourself", and pop Hall of Fame diamonds in "Like a Prayer", but "Deeper and Deeper" is the greatest, kindest gift she could have given me, and for this song alone, I am forever indebted to her. 10/10
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 44645
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby JakeP » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:07 am

JSparksFan wrote:005. Ghosttown

Image
Yes! YES! YES!!! :D :D :D I'm so happy that Ghosttown has ranked so highly in this countdown. For me, this was the ultimate highlight from Rebel heart when the first batch of singles were released to iTunes to pre-order the album. Living for love might well have been the lead single, but this was by far the best Madonna song i'd heard in years. I'd say the previous Madonna single i adored on such a degree would've been Sorry some 9 years earlier.

JSparksFan wrote:004. Hung Up

Image
Gosh! :P I remember there was so much buzz and hype surrounding the release of Hung up. The emphasis on Benny and Bjorn from ABBA clearing the sample to be used on the track was definitely one of the selling points. But then Hung up in its own right was an incredible song. I love the way the song is produced and was the perfect introductory single for the whole Confessions... album campaign. Granted i've not played the album for a while but its definitely up there as one of my favourite Madonna albums, even if production wise it was very much of its time. Outstanding song, and again one of my 10/10 Madonna moments.

JSparksFan wrote:003. Papa Don't Preach

Image
As you've described in your write up, to take on a real life issue such as teenage pregnancy and transform it into a seemingly cuddly pop song is incredibly clever. This is what made Madonna stand out and like i mentioned with Express yourself i doubt many other female artists in the mid 80s would've pulled off a song like this. Maybe because Madonna was such a controversial figure in the music world (following songs like Like a virgin for e.g.) i can't imagine what the reaction to this song must've been like when it was first released. I've often thought this about many of Madonna's singles from the 80s. She really was groundbreaking in a way that no other female artist could achieve, and Michael Jackson was probably the only other pop artist who pushed boundaries like no other. You don't get called the king and queen of pop for no reason! :P

Despite all that, i still have more of a soft spot for La isla bonita. :lol:

JSparksFan wrote:002. Like a Prayer

Image
Well, what else is there to say about Like a prayer that you didn't cover in your analysis? :P What i will say is this; i just knew this wouldn't be your #1 because it seemed too predicable. :lol: :wink:

Nonetheless, whilst Madonna has an outstanding number of "signature" songs in her back catalogue, this is always going to be the one people will most associate with Madonna. Again, it just reiterates my point that Madonna really is a unique one off type of artist who could pull off a song like this. Lady Gaga is the only artist around now who could rival Madonna but in the case of Gaga she needs to start writing big ballsy pop songs again.

JSparksFan wrote:001. Deeper and Deeper

Image
Let's just rewind a couple of pages...

JSparksFan wrote:Hmm...I think someone voted for Erotica in the poll recently.
...LOL me!!!!! :lol: I totally called it, but i didn't want to post my thoughts in case it spoilt the surprise at the end. So you're probably wondering why i thought your #1 would be a song taken from Erotica? Because i've seen Deeper and deeper in and out your top 20 for the last year! :lol: I'm sure this Madonna song has spent more days in your top 20 than any other. :P

As for the song itself, i doubt many people would rank this song so highly. Maybe because it's not considered a "big" hit, or many people focus more of a big hits. What you've done is proved in your write up about how a powerful pop song speaks directly to you. You totally relate to the lyrics, and thats why you're able to appreciate the song more. Some people would think "but it wasn't even a #1?" :lol: I actually like Deeper and deeper a lot, and i love the ode to Vogue which stood out when i first checked out this song years ago. Personally i wouldn't rank it inside my top 10 Madonna songs but if i did a top 30 i'm sure there be a place for this song in there.

For the record my top 3 Madonna songs are all lead singles:

1. Like a prayer
2. Vogue (was this a lead single, i once read it was intended to be a b-side for a track from Like a prayer but got promoted to single status?)
3. Hung up

Why these 3 songs particularly, all i can say is that i thoroughly enjoy listening to these songs. The way the songs build up, and continue to twist and turn throughout and make for three of the most exciting pop songs I've ever heard.

I really would struggle to list all of Madonna's songs into a top 100 so massive kudos to you for putting this countdown together. :D
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3158
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby Benny » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:45 am

Excellent top 4, quite a surprise to see 'Deeper and Deeper' at number one!
Great countdown overall! :D
User avatar
Benny
Legend
 
Posts: 19519
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009
Location: .eu

Postby whoawhoa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:05 am

YAS!!! I called it. I was the other person who voted for "Erotica". "Deeper and Deeper" didn't hit me on first listen, but your extensive playing of it inspired me to check it out, and it's definitely hold its own along side of her more popular classics. It's beautiful to read about how it touched you.

"Papa Don't Preach" and "Like a Prayer" would make me Top 5, too. "Ghosttown" would be very high also. Definitely the highlight of "Rebel Heart", which is a very strong album.

"Hung Up" has actually grown off of me a bit over the past few years, but it's undeniably a terrific tune also! The ABBA sample slays.

I might have to go through and comment on some more tracks later, too. I'm so envious of how well you've done this countdown :D
User avatar
whoawhoa
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014
Location: South Australia

Postby Erotica » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Oh my favourite Madonna song is your favourite too, great. I love everything about Deeper and deeper <3 I also love Papa don't preach very much

All in all a very interesting countdown, so thanks for this :)

and I was wrong, only one of my absolute favourites was in your top 5. But Papa don't preach is close to that for me :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
User avatar
Erotica
Legend
 
Posts: 12581
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014
Location: Germany

Postby MusicLover88 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Amazing top 5!

Totally thought PDP would be #1 based on what I'd seen in the past but Deeper and Deeper is terrific!

5 songs from 5 different albums too! Really cool.

Thanks for this Akini, really enjoyed reading your writeup!
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
User avatar
MusicLover88
Manager
 
Posts: 4889
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013
Location: Canada

Postby MusicLover88 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Ps this almost made me cry: "One day Madonna's mortality will betray her, and the world will weep that our beloved Queen of Music has departed, and we will play "Like a Prayer" at all ends of the Earth and remember the legend we took for granted, and be grateful that she's left us masterpieces that will live on in the annals of music history forever." :cry: :cry: :cry:
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
User avatar
MusicLover88
Manager
 
Posts: 4889
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013
Location: Canada

Postby BodyShop » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:35 pm

Your write-ups about those songs left me speechless.
My first reaction was to listen to the songs and then re-read them while at it.
You words reminded me why I Iove Madonna so much . Not that i had forgotten but ,aftet being a fan for so long,you kind of get used to the feeling . I think it's kinda like a long term relationship when there's still a lot of love involved but you kinda focus more on the negative aspects due to being with the other person for so long . You forget why did you fall in love with that someone, why do you admire him/her so much ,what makes her so special and unique .
Your words ,made me remember when i fell in love with Madonna ,made me feel that magic all over again and,most importantly,why did that happen.
What did she touch in me to make me become such a loyal fan for life ,to make our lives intertwined forever.
Because thats what happened when I became a fan. Madonna has became a part of my life that I simply can't get rid of,no matter what,forever.
So,for that alone ,THANK You !
I'll refrain from commenting on each song individually because rarely have I seen someone write so worderfully about something. I wouldn't and actually couldn't add anything to what you said about them.
I think Madonna herself woyld be proud and happy to read your words.
Congratulations ,Akini . For doing this superb tribute and sharing it with us . It was a delight to read each and every single word posted here by you .
Much love from this huge brazilian Madonna fan over to you ! <3 :*
One last thing :your number one is FANTASTIC ! :D
User avatar
BodyShop
Manager
 
Posts: 2243
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015

Postby MusicLover88 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Ok waiT.

The Deeper and Deeper writeup... *sobs uncontrollably*
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
User avatar
MusicLover88
Manager
 
Posts: 4889
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013
Location: Canada

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Aww your write up for Deeper and Deeper. <3

I embarrassingly have never heard this song *I don't think* (I haven't really deeply explored her albums yet), so I'll be doing that very soon.

God bless. :D x
User avatar
CrazyCrazy
Legend
 
Posts: 53170
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008
Location: UK

Postby BodyShop » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:35 pm

MusicLover88 wrote:Ok waiT.

The Deeper and Deeper writeup... *sobs uncontrollably*
Yes,babe !
User avatar
BodyShop
Manager
 
Posts: 2243
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:29 am

Thanks for the comments, everyone! This countdown took some time to put together, but it was so much fun in the end! :D

JakeP wrote:Yes! YES! YES!!! :D :D :D I'm so happy that Ghosttown has ranked so highly in this countdown. For me, this was the ultimate highlight from Rebel heart when the first batch of singles were released to iTunes to pre-order the album. Living for love might well have been the lead single, but this was by far the best Madonna song i'd heard in years. I'd say the previous Madonna single i adored on such a degree would've been Sorry some 9 years earlier.
And, similarly, it was her best single since "Hung Up," in my books! I think it's an underrated gem among her fans. I know many who appreciate it, but few would rank it right up there with her very best.

JakeP wrote:Gosh! :P I remember there was so much buzz and hype surrounding the release of Hung up. The emphasis on Benny and Bjorn from ABBA clearing the sample to be used on the track was definitely one of the selling points. But then Hung up in its own right was an incredible song. I love the way the song is produced and was the perfect introductory single for the whole Confessions... album campaign. Granted i've not played the album for a while but its definitely up there as one of my favourite Madonna albums, even if production wise it was very much of its time. Outstanding song, and again one of my 10/10 Madonna moments.
Cool beans! 8-)

I think "Hung Up" might just be one of her best produced songs in her discography. Its hook is really timeless, and the song's replay value is insane!

JakeP wrote:As you've described in your write up, to take on a real life issue such as teenage pregnancy and transform it into a seemingly cuddly pop song is incredibly clever. This is what made Madonna stand out and like i mentioned with Express yourself i doubt many other female artists in the mid 80s would've pulled off a song like this. Maybe because Madonna was such a controversial figure in the music world (following songs like Like a virgin for e.g.) i can't imagine what the reaction to this song must've been like when it was first released. I've often thought this about many of Madonna's singles from the 80s. She really was groundbreaking in a way that no other female artist could achieve, and Michael Jackson was probably the only other pop artist who pushed boundaries like no other. You don't get called the king and queen of pop for no reason! :P
I like that description - "cuddly"! Very fitting!

"Papa Don't Preach" was one of those instances where Madonna's hot rod for generating controversy actually attracted attention to a phenomenal pop song. I can only imagine enraged conservatives ready to lambaste her for throwing the topic of abortion on mainstream radio, then realising the song is an undeniable bop, and falling for it. :lol:

JakeP wrote:Despite all that, i still have more of a soft spot for La isla bonita. :lol:
And I forgive you for this transgression! :lol:

Jokes aside, I think "La Isla Bonita" just lacks something for me. It has so much going for it, but it doesn't quite take me there.

JakeP wrote:Well, what else is there to say about Like a prayer that you didn't cover in your analysis? :P What i will say is this; i just knew this wouldn't be your #1 because it seemed too predicable. :lol: :wink:
It would've been very unlike me to go through almost 200 songs, just to declare "Like a Prayer" my #1 song. Unexpected #1s >>>

JakeP wrote:Nonetheless, whilst Madonna has an outstanding number of "signature" songs in her back catalogue, this is always going to be the one people will most associate with Madonna. Again, it just reiterates my point that Madonna really is a unique one off type of artist who could pull off a song like this. Lady Gaga is the only artist around now who could rival Madonna but in the case of Gaga she needs to start writing big ballsy pop songs again.
I think "Like a Prayer" is such a genius track. The hodgepodge of genres could've turned into a mess, but it worked out to be a masterpiece.

I do hope Gaga gets back to doing those big anthems again. I appreciated the mellowness of Joanne, but I became because of songs like "Bad Romance" and "Poker Face", not "Million Reasons" (though I do absolutely adore "Million Reasons," my #1 song of 2016).

JakeP wrote:Let's just rewind a couple of pages...

JSparksFan wrote:Hmm...I think someone voted for Erotica in the poll recently.
...LOL me!!!!! :lol: I totally called it, but i didn't want to post my thoughts in case it spoilt the surprise at the end. So you're probably wondering why i thought your #1 would be a song taken from Erotica? Because i've seen Deeper and deeper in and out your top 20 for the last year! :lol: I'm sure this Madonna song has spent more days in your top 20 than any other. :P
Ah, solid investigative/deducing skills! 8-) I think "Deeper and Deeper" has had the most impressive chart run of any Madonna song, though "Ghosttown" wouldn't be too far behind.

JakeP wrote:As for the song itself, i doubt many people would rank this song so highly. Maybe because it's not considered a "big" hit, or many people focus more of a big hits. What you've done is proved in your write up about how a powerful pop song speaks directly to you. You totally relate to the lyrics, and thats why you're able to appreciate the song more. Some people would think "but it wasn't even a #1?" :lol: I actually like Deeper and deeper a lot, and i love the ode to Vogue which stood out when i first checked out this song years ago. Personally i wouldn't rank it inside my top 10 Madonna songs but if i did a top 30 i'm sure there be a place for this song in there.
The "Vogue" interpolation really takes the song to another level for me. It's an ingenious climax, and I love how it comes shortly after the Never gonna hide it again! bit, which the listener believes to be the climax, before "Vogue" just pops up and obliterates everything. Her songwriting skills on "Deeper and Deeper" also shine through. One thing I've taken from exploring Madonna's and Mariah's discographies is that they are both criminally underrated songwriters. I'd even go as far as to rank them among the best songwriters of all-time; they really are THAT good.

JakeP wrote:For the record my top 3 Madonna songs are all lead singles:

1. Like a prayer
2. Vogue (was this a lead single, i once read it was intended to be a b-side for a track from Like a prayer but got promoted to single status?)
3. Hung up

Why these 3 songs particularly, all i can say is that i thoroughly enjoy listening to these songs. The way the songs build up, and continue to twist and turn throughout and make for three of the most exciting pop songs I've ever heard.
Great picks! All among my Top 7!

And, yep, "Vogue" was the lead single for I'm Breathless, and I read that same story!

JakeP wrote:I really would struggle to list all of Madonna's songs into a top 100 so massive kudos to you for putting this countdown together. :D
Thanks, Jake! It was a bigger undertaking than I expected it to be - I've never done an artist tribute for someone with this many songs - but it was probably the most fun tribute I've done.

Benny wrote:Excellent top 4, quite a surprise to see 'Deeper and Deeper' at number one!
Great countdown overall! :D
Thanks! I'm glad I could end things with a pleasant surprise. 8-)

whoawhoa wrote:YAS!!! I called it. I was the other person who voted for "Erotica". "Deeper and Deeper" didn't hit me on first listen, but your extensive playing of it inspired me to check it out, and it's definitely hold its own along side of her more popular classics. It's beautiful to read about how it touched you.

"Papa Don't Preach" and "Like a Prayer" would make me Top 5, too. "Ghosttown" would be very high also. Definitely the highlight of "Rebel Heart", which is a very strong album.

"Hung Up" has actually grown off of me a bit over the past few years, but it's undeniably a terrific tune also! The ABBA sample slays.

I might have to go through and comment on some more tracks later, too. I'm so envious of how well you've done this countdown :D
Ah, I think you may have had some insider information on that end. :wink:

Super happy to read we're in agreement with "Like a Prayer" and "Papa Don't Preach". Even before I became a Madonna fan, those two songs stood out to me.

Erotica wrote:Oh my favourite Madonna song is your favourite too, great. I love everything about Deeper and deeper <3 I also love Papa don't preach very much

All in all a very interesting countdown, so thanks for this :)

and I was wrong, only one of my absolute favourites was in your top 5. But Papa don't preach is close to that for me :)
Awesomeness! 8-)

MusicLover88 wrote:Amazing top 5!

Totally thought PDP would be #1 based on what I'd seen in the past but Deeper and Deeper is terrific!

5 songs from 5 different albums too! Really cool.

Thanks for this Akini, really enjoyed reading your writeup!
"Papa Don't Preach" was actually a brilliant guess. It'd probably still rank among my Top 50 songs ever at this point.

Glad you liked the write-ups!

MusicLover88 wrote:Ps this almost made me cry: "One day Madonna's mortality will betray her, and the world will weep that our beloved Queen of Music has departed, and we will play "Like a Prayer" at all ends of the Earth and remember the legend we took for granted, and be grateful that she's left us masterpieces that will live on in the annals of music history forever." :cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm dreading that day. :cry:

It actually annoys me how people are so hard on the ageing legends in music, constantly comparing all their present work to their past, and criticising them for "falling off the wagon," but as soon as tragedy strikes, everyone suddenly remembers and re-appreciates the greatness of their catalogues and heralds the contributions they made to the industry. The build-up-just-to-tear-down (and build back up when it's convenient) attitude of the media and general public is very frustrating to me.

BodyShop wrote:Your write-ups about those songs left me speechless.
My first reaction was to listen to the songs and then re-read them while at it.
You words reminded me why I Iove Madonna so much . Not that i had forgotten but ,aftet being a fan for so long,you kind of get used to the feeling . I think it's kinda like a long term relationship when there's still a lot of love involved but you kinda focus more on the negative aspects due to being with the other person for so long . You forget why did you fall in love with that someone, why do you admire him/her so much ,what makes her so special and unique .
Your words ,made me remember when i fell in love with Madonna ,made me feel that magic all over again and,most importantly,why did that happen.
What did she touch in me to make me become such a loyal fan for life ,to make our lives intertwined forever.
Because thats what happened when I became a fan. Madonna has became a part of my life that I simply can't get rid of,no matter what,forever.
So,for that alone ,THANK You !
I'll refrain from commenting on each song individually because rarely have I seen someone write so worderfully about something. I wouldn't and actually couldn't add anything to what you said about them.
I think Madonna herself woyld be proud and happy to read your words.
Congratulations ,Akini . For doing this superb tribute and sharing it with us . It was a delight to read each and every single word posted here by you .
Much love from this huge brazilian Madonna fan over to you ! <3 :*
One last thing :your number one is FANTASTIC ! :D
Aw, thank you so much for your kind words! I'm happy to have played a part in reminding you why you love Madonna so much. The best part about these countdowns is being able to share our love for these artists who have impacted our lives in such profound ways, and I think that's why I'll always invest time and energy into putting them together - for the discussions they foster.

So, so happy you like my #1!

MusicLover88 wrote:Ok waiT.

The Deeper and Deeper writeup... *sobs uncontrollably*
The power of a single song. :cry:

CrazyCrazy wrote:Aww your write up for Deeper and Deeper. <3

I embarrassingly have never heard this song *I don't think* (I haven't really deeply explored her albums yet), so I'll be doing that very soon.

God bless. :D x
Ah, thanks, Bill! <3

Hope you like the song!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 44645
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby biscuits » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:05 am

Well done on completing your countdown. The effort made, not just with the results but also replying to each and every post, was beautiful. And what a surprising #1! I've never met anyone who doesn't love that song - definitely one of her best which was unfortunately released during a dark time for her. In hindsight, I think we can all see what a classic it is, seamlessly fitting in with her biggest hits. It's nice that its message means something to you too.
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 40790
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby Fan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:29 am

Great top 5!
Like A Prayer is my personal, favourite Madonna song! But I love the write up under Deeper and Deeper and totally understand why it's your #1.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12811
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:47 pm

This clearly took a lot of time. You are a very good writer. Deeper and Deeper is certainly one of my favorites so I am pleased with that #1, and it;s clear it has great personal meaning for you. I would rank Deeper's video as one of her top five as well (and not just because of the cameo by a gay porn star :lol: )

While there are certainly quite a few songs I would move to the top ten, I think most of the songs in yours deserve to be placed high. I do think you've managed to pick the best song from those albums that are represented in the top five.
Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
User avatar
cheapthrills
Manager
 
Posts: 2265
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016
Location: Rocky Mountain High

Postby biscuits » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:06 pm

Does the new avi mean we're getting Janet next? :P
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 40790
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:13 am

biscuits wrote:Well done on completing your countdown. The effort made, not just with the results but also replying to each and every post, was beautiful. And what a surprising #1! I've never met anyone who doesn't love that song - definitely one of her best which was unfortunately released during a dark time for her. In hindsight, I think we can all see what a classic it is, seamlessly fitting in with her biggest hits. It's nice that its message means something to you too.
Ah, thank you so much! The best thing about these countdowns is being able to discuss one's favourite songs with others, so encouraging that dialogue is always something I aim to do. Glad you appreciate "Deeper and Deeper"!

Fan wrote:Great top 5!
Like A Prayer is my personal, favourite Madonna song! But I love the write up under Deeper and Deeper and totally understand why it's your #1.
"Like a Prayer" is such a brilliant song, too. I was genuinely surprised to find an even better song within Madge's discography.

cheapthrills wrote:This clearly took a lot of time. You are a very good writer. Deeper and Deeper is certainly one of my favorites so I am pleased with that #1, and it;s clear it has great personal meaning for you. I would rank Deeper's video as one of her top five as well (and not just because of the cameo by a gay porn star :lol: )

While there are certainly quite a few songs I would move to the top ten, I think most of the songs in yours deserve to be placed high. I do think you've managed to pick the best song from those albums that are represented in the top five.
Ah, yes, I read about that. :lol:

I'm happy that you think so! I knew that some of my picks for the lower end of the countdown were controversial, but I always believed that the Top 5 would have universal appeal.

biscuits wrote:Does the new avi mean we're getting Janet next? :P
The Big 5 female artists of the 90s have become such important parts of my music library (and life) that I promised I would complete tributes to them all. I've done so for Mariah, Whitney, and Madonna, so Janet and Céline are up. I'm honestly not even sure who's up next, but Janet's is coming. :wink:
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 44645
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Return to Personal Charts